(Topic ID: 324537)

#WheresTheCode / What happened to code updates at JJP?

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 762 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bush (resized).jpeg
download (10) (resized).jpg
sirius-sirius-black.gif
20240408_193904 (resized).jpg
IMG_2485.gif
IMG_2476 (resized).jpeg
200w.gif
IMG_0732 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0731 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0809 (resized).png
keefer (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 12.00.32 PM (resized).png
IMG_9694 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1451 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7974878_0 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-23 121544 (resized).png
There are 762 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.
#501 3 months ago
Quoted from Animal:

More than a $4000 loss not including tax and delivery, very sorry to see it and that is on their best selling machine. I'm not saying I will never buy another JJP, there is a long history of companies turning it around, but they clearly need new leadership: focus on taking care of their existing customers, do not look at a parts failure requiring replacement as a profit opportunity and finish coding their machines...by now, hopefully, they know, at least, they have a problem. That is where a possible turn around starts.

Yeah not good at all. Around a $3000 loss if you got in at the initial pricing of $9,500, that's a big loss. Of course one very low priced game in a specific location doesn't mean all games are now that price but this is still bad.

JJP is charging $11k new for GNR LE...If they want to charge that price they better release a big game changing code update. Why even buy new? You can buy this game and save almost $4500. I'll "gladly" pay $1k - $1500 more over used pricing to have a game delivered to my house and avoid traveling. For $2k+ however? Ok, I'll drive a bit lol.

#502 3 months ago

Was looking to trade my MBr for a TS4 or WOZ. Man this thread makes me sad…

#503 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Was looking to trade my MBr for a TS4 or WOZ. Man this thread makes me sad…

I have both TS4 and WOZ, would easily pick either of those right now over GNR as the code on both games actually feels complete and polished. TS4 could use another mini wizard mode but what's there offers a good amount of depth and the ruleset actually feels focused versus the multiball mayhem in other JJP pins.

#504 3 months ago

You buy a JJP game to go in the basement,
JJP game go into the basement,
JJP never releases substantial code updates for game,
Farewell and adieu to you, thousands of dollars.

#505 3 months ago

Is that a song or just pinball muttering madness?

#506 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have both TS4 and WOZ, would easily pick either of those right now over GNR as the code on both games actually feels complete and polished. TS4 could use another mini wizard mode but what's there offers a good amount of depth and the ruleset actually feels focused versus the multiball mayhem in other JJP pins.

That is great to hear. Yeah GF is just too much multiball and then the rules depth is agitatingly detailed. I like TS4 casually, wasn’t sure if the code held up at home. Thanks for your thoughts!

#507 3 months ago

I will not spend another dime with JJP until Pirates gets completed (maybe never). Only own one other, Wonka.

Sold the rest, WOZ, DI, Guns, GONE!

Done.

#508 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If anyone is interested in a MBr and driving distance to PGH hit me up.

#509 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

DI LE is now _gone_, to a fellow Pinsider.

$$$ for $$$, I took a non-shallow bath on the sale, but if I think about all the enjoyment I got out of owning the machine for 6-1/2 years (especially early, during beta!), I got my money's worth.

...but I'll need to see a pretty radical change in their corporate climate before I own another JJP.

#510 3 months ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I will not spend another dime with JJP until Pirates gets completed (maybe never). Only own one other, Wonka.
Sold the rest, WOZ, DI, Guns, GONE!
Done.

For me, I just cut your statement off at the end so it reads "I will not spend another dime with JJP". Even if they released new code today it wouldn't suddenly mean they've changed their ways, so it wouldn't get me back to thinking about buying one of their games.

#511 3 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Is that a song or just pinball muttering madness?

JAWS reference...good thing JJP didn't release it, but it may have had a shark that would allow balls in its mouth (after marketing focus groups indicated the likelihood of more sales), but it would have sucked (them).

#512 3 months ago

At least the blinky lights look good. I cannot imagine anyone buying a new JJP if they continue to not finish games. I really want a Harry Potter pin, but zero chance I buy one NIB because the value drops in half (or at least by 25%). Losing money on pins is ok, but dropping 5-6k is too much for me to swallow.

#513 3 months ago

JJP should respond to why they refuse to update the codes.

#514 3 months ago
Quoted from captjoeb:

I would assume it's the same reason Stern was behind on their updates, they didn't have the resources and what resources they had were focused on what they just released or are about to release.

#515 3 months ago
Quoted from captjoeb:

Maybe too busy getting their version of scorbit/insider connected working. Hinted at in a video almost a year ago.

LTG : )

#516 3 months ago

Maybe they should let us know the progress of this after a year?

#517 3 months ago

Maybe they have zero plans to do any updates and feel that playing ostrich is the best strategy?

#518 3 months ago

Maybe they should let us know the progress of this after a year?

They’ve learned their lesson. If they don’t say what everyone wants to hear and then deliver, they get crucified.

Better to stay shtum and let the cranks take turns being the middleman in a circle jerk.

#519 3 months ago

Stern learned, no doubt JJP will as well. There was a hell of an uprise 10 some-odd years ago. I remember, at the time, Star Trek was under coded and Pinside was very vocal. I wonder if Pinside was an influencer on that issue?

#520 3 months ago

What incentive do they have to do more code? They already sold the machines and aren’t making new ones. Sucks and I guess alienate future buyers, so shortsighted.

#521 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

What incentive do they have to do more code? They already sold the machines and aren’t making new ones. Sucks and I guess alienate future buyers, so shortsighted.

Having repeat customers?

#522 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Having repeat customers?

Yeah good point. I guess I’ve never played enough JJP besides TS4 to appreciate the shallow code. Is it as bad as the Spooky Ultraman code?

#523 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Yeah good point. I guess I’ve never played enough JJP besides TS4 to appreciate the shallow code. Is it as bad as the Spooky Ultraman code?

To be clear, there are a number of JJP games with really good code (WoZ, TH, DI, etc). It just fell off after they had private equity step in. Sad.

#524 3 months ago

I wouldn't say JJP has "shallow" code. Every JJP I've played has very deep code, actually. The issue is either incomplete code (e.g., no final wizard mode aka POTC or imbalanced scoring and too-many multiballs (GnR, GF). Most earlier JJP games have excellent code and depth, up to Wonka (POTC excepted).

#525 3 months ago

...and, the number of JJP machines still advertising Scorbit.

#526 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

dumbest comment of the day.

#527 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Yeah, but unfortunately it also seems to pretty well sum up what JJP's thinking and approach to it has been for the last 4 years.

#528 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Doesn't mean it aint true.

#529 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Thats easy: i have decided to NOT buy 2 more pins from them because of lacking code support. Thats a loss of 20K or more for them. And i am not the only one. I personally knew 6 more people who put their money into other pinball companys wares.
i don´t know what it cost for them to hire a coder to polish the code for the handful of machines but i bet, it would be far far less than the loss of non sold machines.

#530 3 months ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Thats easy: i have decided to NOT buy 2 more pins from them because of lacking code support. Thats a loss of 20K or more for them. And i am not the only one. I personally knew 6 more people who put their money into other pinball companys wares.
i don´t know what it cost for them to hire a coder to polish the code for the handful of machines but i bet, it would be far far less than the loss of non sold machines.

Did JJP promise more code and there are spots on the playfield for it, but they didn’t deliver? Or is this just folks wanting more code to make the game better/deeper?

I have a 2019 car that does not drive on its own, has not had any manufacture updates since I bought it. I don’t expect it to one day self drive…unless that is when I bought it they said it would do so some day.

I have a GZ and a MBr. GZ is perfect; would love more code on MBr but that’s just how it is and I knew that going in.

Appreciate the discussion as an interested JJP buyer; based on this discussion though I should go more to WOZ and less TS4.

#531 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Your comment broke my heart

#532 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Did JJP promise more code

Yes. Multiple times.

#533 3 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Multiple times.

Ok ok that is definately fair. 100%. Yeah dirtbag move to sell something with the promise of it will be finished and then never do so. Very shortsighted to alienate their customer base and expect people to step back up and buy again. I can see why you all are pissed.

#534 3 months ago

Apprently it's fraud

#535 3 months ago

I was thinking when people complained there wasn’t a second wizard mode, that is at the level only Elwin would see. But I guess in that example it’s something like mini wizard modes like Planet X in GZ…which gotta be in there to make it complete.

#536 3 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

I was thinking when people complained there wasn’t a second wizard mode, that is at the level only Elwin would see. But I guess in that example it’s something like mini wizard modes like Planet X in GZ…which gotta be in there to make it complete.

Pirates still doesn't have the final wizard mode more than 5 years after the game first shipped from the factory. And that mode was listed in the JJP-created rules sheet they issued when it shipped, and there's an insert for it on the playfield.

#537 3 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yeah, but unfortunately it also seems to pretty well sum up what JJP's thinking and approach to it has been for the last 4 years.

true, but look at game sales since gnr, waaaaay down. They will learn or they will starve.

#538 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

true, but look at game sales since gnr, waaaaay down. They will learn or they will starve.

Yep, they've lost me forever as a customer. I won't buy another one of their games, no matter how good it looks.

#539 3 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, they've lost me forever as a customer. I won't buy another one of their games, no matter how good it looks.

They haven't lost me forever, but they've lost me short-term. First pin was GNRLE. Grabbed FF prem last year. Annual purchases for the next few years won't be JJP unless and until they demonstrate lasting support.

#540 3 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Multiple times.

IMG_1666 (resized).jpegIMG_1666 (resized).jpeg
#541 3 months ago
Quoted from Jaywaggs:

They haven't lost me forever, but they've lost me short-term.

Yep, this is me. I buy 2-3 NIB games a year on average. I’d like one of those to be a JJP and frequently it has been. But I won’t buy another until they make Godfather balanced and get rid of the never ending stream of connected multiballs.

#542 3 months ago

March of 2021, right around the corner. Can't wait....

JJP has truly given up on proper code support for their games They've lost me as a customer.

intro-1597251766 (resized).jpgintro-1597251766 (resized).jpg

#543 3 months ago

I took this post and got excited for days. Didn't realize the year on the comment. Damn....

#544 3 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Pirates still doesn't have the final wizard mode more than 5 years after the game first shipped from the factory. And that mode was listed in the JJP-created rules sheet they issued when it shipped, and there's an insert for it on the playfield.

That is criminally stupid!! They haven't even finished their best rated pin. That is a baaaad omen.

#545 3 months ago

I’m fine if they abandon code and tank JJP prices. I’ll keep collecting them at steep discounts! Eventually, someone will figure out how to recode these games

#546 3 months ago
Quoted from darkryder:

...Eventually, someone will figure out how to recode these games

Ha, we're in the very early stages of thst now; and it's utterly terrible

#547 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha, we're in the very early stages of thst now; and it's utterly terrible

Do tell? I was thinking about this the other day on how to go about re-coding GNR. I thought I read on a post where Keefer gave some detail on it. I can’t remember exactly

#548 3 months ago

I mean, JJP's are security locked, can't even edit a song on it. I'm curious how you can even access it.

#549 3 months ago

Do tell? I was thinking about this the other day on how to go about re-coding GNR. I thought I read on a post where Keefer gave some detail on it. I can’t remember exactly

Oh I meant older games. It'd taken a long time to get just to this point, dreaming aboot modern games is far away. Plus, yiu just have some yahoo making thr code, and it isn't easy.

#550 3 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Im curious what is fantastic about GNR? It’s not scoring. It’s not the layout. It’s not slash solo. It’s the light show isn’t it?

Don’t care about the scoring, the layout is good enough, not the best ever BUT

The light show, 21 song catalog, animations, band involvement, it’s beautiful, unique features I’ve mentioned before AND

When you crank it up, select the various song modes you get a concert experience in a pinball machine like none other. And that is FUN!

The people that have to hate JJP because they bring out the knee pads for Stern and Elwin in particular, I don’t get it. Whatever.

I own all types of pins. Theme, content and FUN factor 1st.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11,000.00
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrysville, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 762 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-code-updates-at-jjp/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.