(Topic ID: 324537)

#WheresTheCode / What happened to code updates at JJP?

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 minutes ago by Vespula
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (10) (resized).jpg
sirius-sirius-black.gif
20240408_193904 (resized).jpg
IMG_2485.gif
IMG_2476 (resized).jpeg
200w.gif
IMG_0732 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0731 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_0809 (resized).png
keefer (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 12.00.32 PM (resized).png
IMG_9694 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1451 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7974878_0 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-23 121544 (resized).png
IMG_0331.gif
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 1 year ago

There's been a number of discussions on Pinside as of late about the lack of code updates coming out of JJP. I still say JJP is making some of the best pinball machines out there (I'm happy to currently own 4 JJP games) but their code support seems to have done a bit of a 180 compared where it was 5 years ago. Maybe some of their latest games are being released with more completed code (Toy Story 4) but there's still a lack of polish for other games.

Besides a few updates for their latest game, Toy Story 4, there's been a complete stop in code releases for over a year for all other JJP games. I can understand no longer releasing updates for Wonka, Dialed In, Hobbit, and WOZ as those games are very polished at this point. However, Pirates with its .99 code (no final wizard mode) and their biggest hit to date GNR not receiving a single update in over a year is puzzling. I was just at a pinball league event with 4 fellow GNR owners, everyone of us agrees that GNR code desperately needs code polishing and by that I mean not just bug fixes. GNR has also taken a good hit on the secondary market and IMO it's heavily tied to the lack of code updates for the game.

Also, and this is just an opinion, there are too many modes in JJP's latest titles that come across as being dull (shoot everything type modes for example), and modes that are almost duplicates of each other that again are just not very fun to play. It doesn't matter if Pirates has 100+ chapter modes and GNR has 25+ song modes when they all basically play the same. Add some more mode variety (Hobbit for example), make more modes stand on their own versus being stacked 3-5x over (LOTR for example), and add more unique mode choreography across all modes (Hobbit and LOTR). Many of the modes in GNR and Pirates almost come across as being procedurally generated versus being noticeably unique as with the modes on say Hobbit.

I would like to continue buying JJP games but code support, depth, and polish just isn't where it should be IMO when compared to Stern who is now regularly cranking out updates for multiple games and constantly polishing existing code.

Last JJP code update release dates

GNR: October 13th, 2021
Wonka: October 21st, 2021
Pirates: April 23rd, 2019
Dialed In: October 14th, 2021
Hobbit: October 22, 2021
WOZ: October 20th, 2021

#2 1 year ago

Just because a game has simple modes doesn't mean the code as a whole is simple. It could be that the complexity is stored in other places.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's been a number of discussions on Pinside as of late about the lack of code updates coming out of JJP. I still say JJP is making some of the best pinball machines out there (I'm happy to currently own 4 JJP games) but their code support seems to have done a bit of a 180 compared where it was 5 years ago. Maybe some of their latest games are being released with more completed code (Toy Story 4) but there's still a lack of polish for other games.
Besides a few updates for their latest game, Toy Story 4, there's been a complete stop in code releases for over a year for all other JJP games. I can understand no longer releasing updates for Wonka, Dialed In, Hobbit, and WOZ as those games are very polished at this point. However, Pirates with its .99 code (no final wizard mode) and their biggest hit to date GNR not receiving a single update in over a year is puzzling. I was just at a pinball league event with 4 fellow GNR owners, everyone of us agrees that GNR code desperately needs code polishing and by that I mean not just bug fixes. GNR has also taken a good hit on the secondary market and IMO it's heavily tied to the lack of code updates for the game.
Also, and this is just an opinion, there are too many modes in JJP's latest titles that come across as being dull (shoot everything type modes for example), and modes that are almost duplicates of each other that again are just not very fun to play. It doesn't matter if Pirates has 100+ chapter modes and GNR has 25+ song modes when they all basically play the same. Add some more mode variety (Hobbit for example), make more modes stand on their own versus being stacked 3-5x over (LOTR for example), and add more unique mode choreography across all modes (Hobbit and LOTR). Many of the modes in GNR and Pirates almost come across as being procedurally generated versus being noticeably unique as with the modes on say Hobbit.
I would like to continue buying JJP games but code support, depth, and polish just isn't where it should be IMO when compared to Stern who is now regularly cranking out updates for multiple games and constantly polishing existing code.
Last JJP code update release dates
GNR: October 13th, 2021
Wonka: October 21st, 2021
Pirates: April 23rd, 2019
Dialed In: October 14th, 2021
Hobbit: October 22, 2021
WOZ: October 20th, 2021

Well said

#4 1 year ago

I am still disappointed by this, but this is exactly what made me quit buying JJP games. Not the price, not the themes, but a lack of updates to several key games. Hobbit is done, no question. DI, not sure but it has a full wizard mode and was great fun to play. WOZ, obviously done.

But more recent games - I owned POTC for 2+ years before I finally gave up. They put out a fantastic beta release of code, never released to most owners, and still never finished the game. They never finished the game!

GNR - same thing. What an amazing looking game - but it needs polish, as was stated.

I don’t know what’s going on there but a full year+ of no updates and how many developers do they have ? Time for an infrastructure overhaul. The codebase may be total spaghetti, making it difficult to update. Or maybe it’s management, and the code guys quiet quit last year; you can hardly blame them if they did.

The new owner did a couple of podcasts a few years ago where he was going great guns and talking all kinds of stuff, but doesn’t seem to have ever followed through.

#5 1 year ago

Wonder if they need to hire some more programmers. Seems like they haven't put enough resources around the code updates. Based on what I have seen on the beta code forums I'm seeing stuff like, "Yeah its coming when I get some time"....

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

Wonder if they need to hire some more programmers. Seems like they haven't put enough resources around the code updates. Based on what I have seen on the beta code forums I'm seeing stuff like, "Yeah its coming when I get some time"....

Yeah they need to do something, like you said maybe hire more programmers. The “It’s coming” phrase being told to customers has been old for months (well years lol) now.

I also found it odd how Pinball Expo 2022 came and went with JJP not doing one of their typical team fireside chats. There was no discussion about code updates, or code updates released close to Expo as JJP did last year.

#7 1 year ago

Code updates need to become a priority again.I know with DI I was enjoying the game as it was and then the last updates turned it into something that nailed pin to floor!
It seems like lately the focus has been more on profitability instead of the original mission to create the most well rounded package

#8 1 year ago

They realized nothing will ever make you happy so they gave up.

#9 1 year ago

yeah nothing on the gnr, after all the sales it had is very disappointing. game needs some attention for sure. .......crickets

#10 1 year ago

I hate to say this is one of the reasons. I will not buy another JJP game new or in the secondary market.

#11 1 year ago

Just like most manufacturers ... they don't care you already bought it !

#12 1 year ago

Looks like they moved on to pee wee herman instead.

#13 1 year ago

Pirates CE owner here. Quit buying JJP after they abandoned the code on this. New pins look fun, but no way for me until they finish Pirates.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just like most manufacturers ... they don't care you already bought it !

Yeah, it's sad. Stern was that way but has done a complete 180 for the better with code support over the past few years. They are cranking out the updates.

From a fellow pinball league member and friend when discussing GNR code "Who would have thought we would be complaining about JJP code updates"....Yup, that's where we are at sadly.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, it's sad. Stern was that way but has done a complete 180 for the better with code support over the past few years. They are cranking out the updates.
From a fellow pinball league member and friend when discussing GNR code "Who would have thought we would be complaining about JJP code updates"....Yup, that's where we are at sadly.

It's hard to keep up with Stern obviously from a game standpoint, and not ALL games have gotten outstanding updates - but the ones that have (especially the last 4 or 5) have been phenomenal

#16 1 year ago

After the way that JJP dispensed with Lloyd, I decided that would be it for my relationship with them. It is my opinion that when the company really was JJP, it really turned heads. Now that it is just named JJP, we’ll not so much. I can’t play pinball for shit so most of super duper modes I’ll never even get to but if you start something and tell lead your clients to believe you will finish it, we’ll you should do what you said you would

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from GPS:

After the way that JJP dispensed with Lloyd, I decided that would be it for my relationship with them. It is my opinion that when the company really was JJP, it really turned heads. Now that it is just named JJP, we’ll not so much. I can’t play pinball for shit so most of super duper modes I’ll never even get to but if you start something and tell lead your clients to believe you will finish it, we’ll you should do what you said you would

Yeah that wasn't cool, same with Butch.

#18 1 year ago

This guy is waiting for two things, a GNR code update and for the Detroit Lions to win a Superbowl. Happy Halloween everyone.

Waiting-Skeleton (resized).jpgWaiting-Skeleton (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This guy is waiting for two things, a GNR code update and for the Detroit Lions to win a Superbowl. Happy Halloween everyone.
[quoted image]

I LOL’d.

#20 1 year ago

The only reason TS4 feels "complete" is because there's not a lot there. Lawlor stated as much in the promo, he wanted a wizard mode that anyone can get to, not just good players. So if you have a fifteen minute game, you see the end.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

The only reason TS4 feels "complete" is because there's not a lot there. Lawlor stated as much in the promo, he wanted a wizard mode that anyone can get to, not just good players. So if you have a fifteen minute game, you see the end.

Di is and Wonka might be completed. I have all 3 and woz.

#22 1 year ago

well, it is of course, and its very good

but i remember (when being beta tester for Joe K & Ted E) that Joe was hopping to put a final touch on the big wizard mode, and adding a "fireworks" for when you beat the game (as for now, there's absolutly nothing !)

3 weeks later
#23 1 year ago

Never did I think we would have to use the #WheresTheCode tag for JJP but here we are. What has happened to code updates at JJP? How can updates remain as as a beta for months or even years at a time?

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Never did I think we would have to use the #WheresTheCode tag for JJP but here we are. What has happened to code updates at JJP? How can updates remain as as a beta for months or even years at a time?

I’ll go out on a limb and say it has something to do with money or the lack thereof.

#25 1 year ago

Spoke with Ken Cromwell at Freeplay Orlando and the POTC 1.0 is nearing the end of its Beta. That's great news.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Furio:

Spoke with Ken Cromwell at Freeplay Orlando and the POTC 1.0 is nearing the end of its Beta. That's great news.

That's good news, longest beta of all time lol.

3 weeks later
#27 1 year ago

It’s starting to look like the Detroit Lions may win a Super Bowl before JJP releases another public code update.

4 weeks later
#28 1 year ago

Another example of why GNR needs a massive code update. JJP could easily impact value in a positive way if they release far more code for this game.

What has happened to code updates from JJP? Zach from SDTM recently said that JJP could easily increase sales of Toy Story 4 if they simply released more code update for the game. Please make it happen JJP, you used to be the leader in code updates but even I'll admit that Stern has taken that title over these past few years.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-guns-n-roses-le-146#post-7347720

1 month later
#29 1 year ago

7cod6g (resized).jpg7cod6g (resized).jpg

#31 1 year ago

It would be a really good idea for them to release an update before the next title is announced to at least give people confidence that their code will be supported going forward. No matter how cool the new game may be I won't be buying unless they change things around and start offering more code support.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It would be a really good idea for them to release an update before the next title is announced to at least give people confidence that their code will be supported going forward. No matter how cool the new game may be I won't be buying unless they change things around and start offering more code support.

I'm with ya, JJP's code support as of late is making me look at a Stern pin for my next purchase. I rather not wait years wondering whether or not Cannoli Multiball will finally be coded.

#33 1 year ago

Another JJP title is about to be released but Pirates code isn’t complete and GNR needs a massive code update.

Last GNR code code update.

7DAF6DA9-1F93-49AD-A752-9DED465590BA (resized).jpeg7DAF6DA9-1F93-49AD-A752-9DED465590BA (resized).jpeg

#34 1 year ago

Jjp got your money... Clearly the code is complete enough.

Stop giving them money, then you won't have code, playfield, or burned out led issues.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Jjp got your money... Clearly the code is complete enough.
Stop giving them money, then you won't have code, playfield, or burned out led issues.

Yeah. In years past they have come through (WOZ, Hobbit big time, Dialed In, Wonka) but for the past couple of years code updates have come to a crawl.

I’m ready to buy a new pin but for now it’s likely going to be a Stern or a CGC due to the code update drought at JJP. I’m not sure if JJP realizes anymore that they can easily increase sales, good will, and game value by releasing more code updates. Stern gets it.

#36 1 year ago

Days since last GNR code update: 511

Days since last Pirates code update: 1,416

#37 1 year ago

Get ready for some JJP code updates, ScoreBit is being removed from all JJP games! Just wow

Potential future GNR and Pirates change log

- ScoreBit removed

#38 1 year ago

I’m still waiting for a firmware update for Toy Story 4. There are a lot of bugs and glitches in the code. I’ve been patiently waiting many months now.

#39 1 year ago

Scorbit was not a consumer friendly platform - sorry it just wasn't. Won't miss it

#40 1 year ago

Do you think they discontinued Scorbit to do their own better ?

#42 1 year ago

They sure did - that's absolutely the reason. Gotta compete with Stern. It's a draw and a feature being highly leveraged by operators at this point as well.

#43 1 year ago

No code, but no sheet metal head so I guess its a wash!

#44 1 year ago

The skeleton doesn't mind waiting for a Pirates and GNR code update.

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from CosmoConstant:

I’m still waiting for a firmware update for Toy Story 4. There are a lot of bugs and glitches in the code. I’ve been patiently waiting many months now.

See above, maybe in 2032.

#46 1 year ago

May be no coincidence that they dropped scorbit and presumably are slated to launch their own version of insider connected. This could be where all the coding talent is tied up.

#47 1 year ago

Add Stern Bond owners to the list of people waiting for a code update.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Add Stern Bond owners to the list of people waiting for a code update.

They haven't been waiting years.

#49 1 year ago

You buy a JJP game
JJP game go into your basement
You wait years for a code update in your basement
Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies

1ecb6ec4-88e8-4b3b-ab7b-9e2bd49f049f_thumb (resized).jpg1ecb6ec4-88e8-4b3b-ab7b-9e2bd49f049f_thumb (resized).jpg

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

May be no coincidence that they dropped scorbit and presumably are slated to launch their own version of insider connected. This could be where all the coding talent is tied up.

I hope this is the case, would be understandable then. If that's true one would think that TPF is the perfect time for an announcement.

It's pretty sad, I read a recent comment in the GNR owners thread where someone said "JJP doesn't really do code updates anymore" That's one of the problems with waiting so long between code updates (or never completing a game, Pirates). A negative perception about the companies code support starts to brew.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

7,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 11,000.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
8,400 (OBO)
$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 210.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-code-updates-at-jjp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.