EF3A15FB-511D-4113-A2B2-1BC145561A3D_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
687AA95B-C66A-4717-BF70-2727160CB455_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
cousinit2 (resized).png
cousinit (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 8 months ago

I'm currently restoring a TAF with new playfield and new cabinet. There's a lot of money going into it.

I'm not doing it for anyone. It will be for sale.

I'm not much of a mod guy at all. I've added a color DMD and a playfield backboard decal.

Question is.....would you want Uncle Lester, Thing's box decal and/or the bookcase base decal?

Or would you prefer it stay original?

#2 8 months ago

I'd stop right where you are. Those dolls and stickers are subjective. Yeah they're removable but let the future owner decide and install themselves.

#3 8 months ago

Lester, yes. Decals, no. I would add some extra GI lighting on the playfield as that game does not have much.

#4 8 months ago

Tasteful mods are always welcome in my book. I found one with some tasteful mods and honestly they make the game pop and are unique. Surprisingly the best mod for Adams is the mini TV with clips of show running on loop. It fits the theme well and all of my guest have commented on how cool it is and that it really adds to the game. Uncle fester upgrade is almost a must, Thing Sticker-probably not noticeable. Another great mod is the Adams Family 1933 Packard all lit up. Your work is top notch btw and adding any mods will only add to it-imo.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm currently restoring a TAF with new playfield and new cabinet. There's a lot of money going into it.
I'm not much of a mod guy at all. I've added a color DMD and a playfield backboard decal.
Question is.....would you want Uncle Lester, Thing's box decal and/or the bookcase base decal?

Uncle Fester, Thing box decal and bookcase decal are all good mods. No others needed.

#6 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If it was for me, I think the Uncle Lester and the decals add a lot to the game. Provided they match the existing art; I believe there are several options out there.

#7 8 months ago

I’d leave it as is but Lester and decals I think blend with the game and usually have them on the ones I’ve done. Just don’t think they’ll add any value to the sale. If buyer wants them, they can buy them and have you add them.

#8 8 months ago

This Uncle Lester - is he any relation to Uncle Fester?

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There are multiple versions/options of those. Some people like certain ones, but not others.

For example:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Tasteful mods are always welcome in my book. I found one with some tasteful mods and honestly they make the game pop and are unique. Surprisingly the best mod for Adams is the mini TV with clips of show running on loop. It fits the theme well and all of my guest have commented on how cool it is and that it really adds to the game. Uncle fester upgrade is almost a must, Thing Sticker-probably not noticeable. Another great mod is the Adams Family 1933 Packard all lit up. Your work is top notch btw and adding any mods will only add to it-imo.
[quoted image]

Mods are always subjective.

Personally, I wouldn't install the TV mod--I don't really consider that a "tasteful mod", but I understand how some people might.

However, for TAF specifically, there are *a lot* of mod options.

Additional signs for the unlabeled lights, the family car, the phone, the bear rug, various decals, cousin It figure, gravestones, flipper bat toppers, toxic barrel, alligator figure, safe mod...it goes on. You can easily go way overboard.

#11 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are multiple versions/options of those. Some people like certain ones, but not others.
For example:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the one in the bottom pic; but, I hooked up some EL wire to the Power flasher and it comes up from behind the chair and through his hands. Looks pretty good and adds a nice subtle effect.

I still need to do something about adding more light to the right side of the playfield.

#12 8 months ago

I also like the mod that adds a “book” over the 2 exposed lights on the bookcase.

#13 8 months ago

If you were restoring it for me (and I wish you were) I would want Fester and the thing/bookcase decals. That's enough.

#14 8 months ago

On my restored TAFG, I added a few mods which blend in well with the pf; including the Uncle Fester mod, Thing/Bookcase decals, back board decal, color dmd & some interactive kick out lighting. Sheet of PDI is the final touch.

#15 8 months ago

No mods, well aside from Pinstadiums and Lumalegz, you need those!

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I'd stop right where you are. Those dolls and stickers are subjective. Yeah they're removable but let the future owner decide and install themselves.

That was my initial thought.

I just didn't want to hear people say, "for that kind of money, he should have added x, y and z.

F' it. It's staying original. Too many other options to want to deal with.

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

God no, no more mods. But you know how I am, you had to twist my arm into LEDs.

Aren't you the same guy that told me you would come to Fairfield and kick my ass if I put color lights all over my GI

#18 8 months ago

Funny, I found myself asking myself the same question. I think there's a healthy balance to be had and after that it just looks gaudy/junky. To each their own but wowser, I've seen some with every mod ever made installed and it just looks terrible IMHO.

I listed wear to get mods cheaper for the do it yourselfer types: (may no longer be available)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/66#post-5166019

The "Fester" chair mod looks better than an open chair. I used the super expensive one someone offered because the other ones looked cheap.
I made my own custom thing box decals and posted a printable PDF of it in the TAF group because I hated seeing "THING" on the box. Arguably the best looking decal out there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/67#post-5212959
The bookcase floor decal mod is nice - looks much better than the native blue - I chose the wood grained option
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/bf3ed0_09a93dbd741742e6b51baf7d3d847fe6.jpg/v1/fill/w_600,h_600,al_c,lg_1,q_80,enc_auto/bf3ed0_09a93dbd741742e6b51baf7d3d847fe6.jpg
The vault book mod looks better than native bare lamp sockets
I added a vault mod - this one I'm on the fence about but it does look better than having a bug there.
I added the FLAT polar bear mod for the bear kick ramp - non LED
I added the Knight mod which really does look quite nice. - non LED

That's a fair amount of mods ... yes it is but it doesn't look junked up. Also the comment about lighting - I made my own programmable pinstadium lighting version out of aluminum L channel from Homedepot. A 12V AC adapter power splitter and fully programmable RGBW LED strips off amazon. It's quite honestly the best mod you can add. It's tied into the GI so when there's on/off flashing it acts accordingly. TAF is SO much more enjoyable when you can see what the hell you're looking at.
LASTLY - GIOCD and LEDOCD is absolutely mandatory! Hergs boards make LED's respond and look beautiful.

#19 8 months ago

I know how much you love decals over targets - so you should definitely add those.

...and this Cousin It that looks like a poop log (with light up eyes!).

cousinit2 (resized).pngcousinit2 (resized).png

cousinit (resized).pngcousinit (resized).png

And for sure don't forget the Lumalegz!!!!

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from GregCon:

This Uncle Lester - is he any relation to Uncle Fester?

Perhaps. For 20 some odd years, the mod has been sold as Uncle Lester to avoid trademark issues, so that's who he is...

#21 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't really consider that a "tasteful mod", but I understand how some people might.

What makes a mod tasteful? To me it is a mod that does not interfere with game play, does not block any view/s, and adds to the overall theme and looks like it was installed from factory. The mini TV in black and white is perfect. It reminds me of watching the series as a kid and the clips are classic. Would I add a TV to any other game? Maybe BM66/Munsters-again for the vintage footage that helps make the connection from series. Trust me the mini TV in black and white is badass for Adams.

As much as I would have liked to find an all original with incandescent bulbs-the game is just too dark and LED's are a must. Just got an Elvis with -incandescent bulbs and it is bright and the glow is magical(if I could have kept Adams with them I would have).
If I was having someone restore an Adams would I want mods installed? That is the real question. The answer is yes, if I am spending big bucks-it would be nice if the restorer offered to install mods as well. Why not ask your customer straight up-if they want some mods installed as well? I know I would-again the mods make it really pop.

#22 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If I was having someone restore an Adams would I want mods installed? That is the real question. The answer is yes, if I am spending big bucks-it would be nice if the restorer offered to install mods as well. Why not ask your customer straight up-if they want some mods installed as well? I know I would-again the mods make it really pop.

As buyer, I understand what you're saying. The issue I have is I'm not restoring this for anyone. It will be for sale. I didn't want to have to tear things apart to add mods the buyer may want. If it's a glue on bear on the ramp....easy enough. A decal on the bookcase base....that's different.

WAY too many opinions on what's tasteful and what isn't. I'm leaving this stock.

#23 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I wanted one with a new cabinet and new playfield as well. I paid big bucks for it because all the other Adams I have seen have been beat street(really hard to find a nice Adams). I would value an Adams with new cabinet, pf, etc. at $13,500-$17,000. I thought you may have had a buyer lined up already, but if not again just ask the potential buyer if they want any mods installed. If you are spending that much money-more than likely they will want it modded out-or at least I would.

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I wanted one with a new cabinet and new playfield as well. I paid big bucks for it because all the other Adams I have seen have been beat street(really hard to find a nice Adams). I would value an Adams with new cabinet, pf, etc. at $13,500-$17,000. I thought you may have had a buyer lined up already, but if not again just ask the potential buyer if they want any mods installed. If you are spending that much money-more than likely they will want it modded out-or at least I would.

Again....there in no potential buyer.

If you were me, what would you add, if anything.

#25 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you were me, what would you add, if anything

Tough question as I am picky

I would just do a good LED job, add purple Superbands, custom cards, and everything else completely stock and minty fresh. Once negotiations are made I would offer the buyer to add anything they desire(for a fee). Some people do not have the aptitude to install mods themselves or they may screw something up trying to tie into GI or something? I would have them look at the AF thread for any mods they may or may not want to add. Again I think Uncle Fester is almost a must. Another thing I really like with mine is the added internal Pinwoofer. It makes 'The Power' really go off and the experience puts a smile on my face every single time.

#26 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Once negotiations are made

Had an afterthought here...

Will adding some cool mods help increase the potential sales list price and/or will it help sell the restored machine at a higher value?

#27 8 months ago

According to whose taste?

Quoted from pinmister:

add purple Superbands

I wouldn't chose to do that. One of the first things I might do is remove them.

Which ones? Some look ok, some don't.

Quoted from pinmister:

I think Uncle Fester is almost a must

Which one? There's at least 3 different ones.

Quoted from pinmister:

Another thing I really like with mine is the added internal Pinwoofer.

Not everyone is interested in that.

That's the thing with mods. Everybody has their own tastes and preferences. There's probably not much point to installing any if you're immediately selling a game. Only a small handful of mods add value, but most of the rest generally don't.

#28 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Had an afterthought here...
Will adding some cool mods help increase the potential sales list price and/or will it help sell the restored machine at a higher value?

Not really, no. With the exception of something like a colordmd, most mods don't hold their retail value.

#29 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not everyone is interested in that

-Never had a game with pinwoofer I did not like

-Purple superbands play better-but if you like Titan-go Titan-meh

-Uncle Fester with lit light

-Any custom cards will look better than stock

#30 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

With the exception of something like a colordmd

I actually prefer stock DMD and would not want color if given a choice

#31 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

-Never had a game with pinwoofer I did not like
-Purple superbands play better-but if you like Titan-go Titan-meh
-Uncle Fester with lit light
-Any custom cards will look better than stock

Quoted from pinmister:

I actually prefer stock DMD and would not want color

Again, all personal preferences. Not everyone is going to like your particular preferences.

#32 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Again, all personal preferences. Not everyone is going to like your particular preferences

Yes-that is why Bryan is asking for everyone's opinion

#33 8 months ago

Brand new cab, new playfield and chrome armor are already huge selling points. Anything you add on are just going to raise the price of the game and possibly reduce the amount of potential buyers. For a lot of people adding mods and customizing the look of your game is fun, so I would keep mods at a minimum. Maybe a ColorDMD as you mentioned.

#34 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes-that is why Bryan is asking for everyone's opinion

I vote stock DMD, nicely done LEDs with OCD boards (Bryan knows the deal he was the one that made me change my mine from incandescent), the green swamp light is a nice touch. Def no on the vault decal, the bear on the ramp, thing box decal.

Thats just my opinion, but i tend to be the purist

#35 8 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Brand new cab, new playfield and chrome armor are already huge selling points. Anything you add on are just going to raise the price of the game and possibly reduce the amount of potential buyers. For a lot of people adding mods and customizing the look of your game is fun, so I would keep mods at a minimum. Maybe a ColorDMD as you mentioned.

And this is the way I'm leaning.

Chrome trim.

Color DMD.

Comet sunlight LED's. No color of any kind.

LED OCD board.

And a lot of new shit.

I think that's it.

687AA95B-C66A-4717-BF70-2727160CB455_1_105_c (resized).jpeg687AA95B-C66A-4717-BF70-2727160CB455_1_105_c (resized).jpegEF3A15FB-511D-4113-A2B2-1BC145561A3D_1_105_c (resized).jpegEF3A15FB-511D-4113-A2B2-1BC145561A3D_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#36 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Chrome trim.
Color DMD.
LED OCD board.
And a lot of new shit.
I think that's it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome, I kind of like the chromed trim

#37 8 months ago

Looks good. When I did my Addams, I kept the mods to the minimum. I added chrome trim, I chromed the metal backplate for the boards, chromed a ton of other pieces in the cab, etc etc. Added color DMD, lighted shooter rod, lighted buttons, Uncle Fester on chair and the book case over the lights.

If I were you, add the chrome trim that the glass slides into in the back since you chromed all the trim anyways.

#38 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Chrome trim.
Color DMD.
LED OCD board.
And a lot of new shit.
I think that's it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good choices - but maybe add the GI OCD too. If I remember correctly, it dims the GI during seance?

#39 8 months ago
Quoted from brmorr:

If I were you, add the chrome trim that the glass slides into in the back since you chromed all the trim anyways.

I've done that before. I would have done it here but my chrome guy was out of stock.

You can then also do the U and H channels on the speaker panel.

Chroming stuff inside the cabinet or under the playfield i've never quite understood. I prefer making that stuff look NOS.

Here's an F-14 playfield swap I just finished.

4A5A957D-FA4C-40E8-93A0-93027669B526_1_105_c (resized).jpeg4A5A957D-FA4C-40E8-93A0-93027669B526_1_105_c (resized).jpeg4BE68019-1DE5-411F-8AF7-ECF52F2A4D05_1_105_c (resized).jpeg4BE68019-1DE5-411F-8AF7-ECF52F2A4D05_1_105_c (resized).jpeg1597FA0A-936A-4F7B-B874-3914C44B945D_1_105_c (resized).jpeg1597FA0A-936A-4F7B-B874-3914C44B945D_1_105_c (resized).jpeg08112250-78F9-44DB-BB1F-6D8D20475F8F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg08112250-78F9-44DB-BB1F-6D8D20475F8F_1_105_c (resized).jpegE1A4EBC8-1113-4B4C-9EE5-D2BC21BAA4B9_1_105_c (resized).jpegE1A4EBC8-1113-4B4C-9EE5-D2BC21BAA4B9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg6FF19142-82B4-4BC9-981A-A3FD57351BA9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg6FF19142-82B4-4BC9-981A-A3FD57351BA9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg9D6310DF-C89C-4856-B1C8-59AFE653013C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg9D6310DF-C89C-4856-B1C8-59AFE653013C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg403DD2C6-0F56-46DF-A2F5-FB212275EC48_1_105_c (resized).jpeg403DD2C6-0F56-46DF-A2F5-FB212275EC48_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#40 8 months ago

Chrome trim looks good but looks like legs left stock? The stainless/chrome combo does not look great to me. I would go all the way or keep it stainless and all original. Also mirror blades really make the chrome pop.

#41 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Chrome trim looks good but looks like legs left stock? The stainless/chrome combo does not look great to me. I would go all the way or keep it stainless and all original. Also mirror blades really make the chrome pop.

That's a shitty set of system 11 legs I used to set it up and free up my lift for another game I'm doing. It'll get new legs. Otherwise, the cabinet is done.

Not sure when I'll get to the playfield.

FC191CE4-8958-4877-B9E3-1D5EE21BF2FC_1_105_c (resized).jpegFC191CE4-8958-4877-B9E3-1D5EE21BF2FC_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#42 8 months ago

Bryan, I was asking myself this same question on the Safecracker I restored. I decided to "presell" the restored game to someone, and they picked out/paid for the mods and upgrades they wanted. In the end, it worked out for both buyer and seller.

If you know you are going to sell it for sure like I was, it's an option to consider.

#43 8 months ago

I like Lester, the bookcase decals and the thing decals myself. As well as a color DMD. But the first mod you BETTER install is the magnet fuses! That's the only one that will keep your playfield from looking like a charcoal brickette one day when you're not looking!

#44 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

Bryan, I was asking myself this same question on the Safecracker I restored. I decided to "presell" the restored game to someone, and they picked out/paid for the mods and upgrades they wanted. In the end, it worked out for both buyer and seller.
If you know you are going to sell it for sure like I was, it's an option to consider.

That is a smart idea, Bryan can pre-sell based on reputation alone.

#45 8 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

That is a smart idea, Bryan can pre-sell based on reputation alone.

I'll trade you mine for the POS you're sending me.

#46 8 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'll trade you mine for the POS you're sending me.

Haha fuck no. Playfield is boxed up and heading to fedex in the am tomorrow.

1 week later
#47 7 months ago

Bryan_Kelly whose decal did you use on that cabinet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 159.00
$ 1,159.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-question-regarding-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.