kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1632 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

+1
R naught is pretty high too. Not measles high, but higher than flu.

Ebola, 2014 1.51 to 2.53
H1N1 Influenza, 2009 1.46 to 1.48
Seasonal Influenza 2 to 3
Measles 12 to 18
MERS around 1
Polio 5 to 7
SARS <1 to 2.75
Smallpox 5 to 7
Wuhan Coronavirus 2019-nCoV 1.4 to 4.08

Just from a quick google search.....

3 months later
#4386 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Added 10k shares on MAC

Must be nice to just throw around 90k+ like it's nothing. Heh.

As someone that's only invested in my 401k/IRAs prior to all this stuff, I find it amusing watching what's going on with the market right now. I'm only investing money I can afford to lose (re: Very little), but all-in-all I'm still vastly on the positive side from where I was in November when I started messing around with Robinhood. I had a really good laugh at an article they linked the other day talking about Hertz and some other companies being blown up to ridiculous prices by clueless Robinhood investors trying to make a quick buck.

Frankly, as long as I stay neutral or have any growth on my piddly expenditures, I'm pretty happy. Single transaction buys and sells are not really my thing, and I freely admit that I'm risk-averse and yes, ACTUALLY INCOMPETENT when it comes to knowing which stocks to buy. Like there's no way I would currently ever consider shorting anything, I don't know enough. But, watching what is going on is extremely interesting....people have definitely lost their minds when it comes to investing the last few weeks. Even a dumbass like me knows that investing in a company that's going bankrupt is purely a gamble. Props to you guys that make a boatload off this, since we all know that the only thing that matters is not who's losing money in this country, but who's getting more of it.

#4388 3 years ago

Thanks, that was the article I was referring to in my post.

#4393 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

MAC (Macerich) is a REIT for high-end malls. The stock was steadily dropping from 2018 until corona hit. Long-term, are malls (even nice ones) going to survive? My perspective may be skewed by the fact that I'd rather do anything besides go to the mall.

Three major malls in the Dallas area have been shut down and in the process of, or already are, being demolished right now. One is completely gone, second is slated to be leveled (unknown what they're going to do with the area), and the third is partially demolished right now with Sears clinging to their part of the structure and parking lot, but the rest of it will be turned into apartments and more "mixed use" BS. (Mall without walls is what "mixed use" in this area seems to be.)

#4396 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

The cruise line rally is what baffles me! You couldn’t pay me to get on one of those ships! I would assume most feel the same way after all those people were marooned on the ships and quarantined to their cabins for weeks... sounds like a nightmare, we are Going to see some BK’s IMHO.

Right? My wife bought a few shares of Norwegian, and won't stop holding it over my head lol. Which, if she was going to buy one, that would've been the right one, as from what I've seen their cash reserves situation looks much better than the others, but still....I've never been on a cruise, she's never been on a cruise, and there's no way in hell either of us are going to be anytime in the forseeable future.... All travel stock bets are now just a hedge that people really ARE *that* stupid......so more likely than not it'll pay off as long as they don't go under before the stupid becomes overwhelmingly in their favor.

#4403 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

100% were wearing masks.

Lucky you! Meanwhile here in Texas, my wife is working with two thin plastic sheets hung from the ceiling between her and customers, that only covers about oh...20% of the counter inside her shop, and nobody is being required to wear a mask, and most people are NOT wearing them...not even in my building, on my floor, where they are REQUIRED to be wearing them by our company. I already reported like 5 people, the company doesn't care. Their solution?

4 people on an elevator all facing forward, taping off urinals and stalls so that we have half the bathroom capacity, and misspelling instructional posters in huge 60-point font.

Our local arcade just opened as well. I don't think I'll be going anytime soon, as much as I badly want to, since their facebook page seems to be filled with people that are more concerned about whether or not they can conceal a GUN in there (alcohol laws and signage) than anything else. Because as everyone knows, you're probably going to get robbed or shot in a well-lit arcade, ya know. Seedy, that's what modern arcades are!

#4405 3 years ago

Hm. Something is f'ed here.

#4475 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I read that. Poor guy.
Let's be clear, those strategies are very advanced. For most, it's nearly gambling. Options were originally intended to function as a form of insurance or risk mitigation on an underlying investment.
A lot of people that play with them don't really understand them.

Not only that, but Robinhood does basically nothing towards explaining ANY of that in detail. Like the article literally explained more than their app does.

Clearly, there was more wrong than just the way the app displays numbers here (And I say this as someone that battles frequent recurring depression), because most people I think would've gone after RH for more information, not just immediately gone for the final option, but they do have to accept ALL of the responsibility for just implicitly trusting that people know what they're doing without any kind of screening or education from their app. That's ridiculous, and honestly inexcusable.

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I do not agree that Robinhood should shoulder the full blame on this

Quoted from Frax:

ALL of the responsibility for just implicitly trusting that people know what they're doing without any kind of screening or education from their app

That's NOT full blame. In no way are they responsible for this guy going off the deep end and whacking himself less than 24 hours later. If he had just tried to talk to someone, or had spend a few days trying to figure out what happened and how it was going to pan out, his death could have been avoided. But he didn't choose to do that, unfortunately. What I'm saying is that they do have to be responsible, as an app trying to lure in novice investors, for at least TRYING to educate or warn people that certain investing mechanics have EXTREME risks that can be taken on with clearly very little leverage. The app should be capable of mathematically looking at something like this and going "Hey, you might be losing XYZ if this goes south, are you really sure you want to do this?", or adding a layer of "opt-in" with a warning and disclaimer up front for these things that can go south in a very bad, but not obvious to the average asshat like me, before they're enabled in the app. Also....probably the display issue could be addressed in a more consistent way of explaining why there's a sudden huge negative balance.

I think we all understand that stocks can go up or down.....but I don't understand options, puts, all this technical shit at all....and in the 8 months I've been using Robinhood, I haven't see any real initiative on their part to explain any of that to us noobs. Not asking for an explanation here, as I have no real interest in how these things work, just commenting on what I see as someone with very little investing knowledge and a user of their app. I was wise enough to not mess with any of that stuff..... someone half my age wasn't, was not educated about the issues of what they were doing, and likely over-reacted in a moment of insanity, and took their life. Not their fault that he did THAT, but it is entirely their fault they predicate their app on being "easy" and friendly to novices, but provide these same novices with tools far beyond their education or capability with next to no screening or education. You just can't do that anymore...that's how you get sued.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.