(Topic ID: 45040)

Stern Announces price increase with Next pin.

By Benepinballs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAIL.jpg
    bend.gif
    homer.jpg
    31979767.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG3400.jpg
    pavlov_dog.jpg
    supply_and_demand.JPG
    There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I understand the frustration of price increases on the new games, but I urge you guys to go walk the factory. Over 3000 parts assembled, by hand, and the large number of people that are employed by Stern to do all this work makes you realize the challenge of building a machine. No one is forced to buy new, and the used market is getting bigger everyday.

As somebody who has only been following the actual hobby of pinball for a short time, these things make me laugh a little. The whole mindset at Stern to tout the number of labor hours or more wiring than a Taurus or something like that is comical. As the 'sole manufacturer' they can get away with it. However, if somebody actually physically competes they (Stern) will be left scratching their heads.

As I look at the manufacturing history of pinball machines, I see very little innovation or improvements. There may be only so many things you can put into a game, but is there really only one way to make them? Looks like the industry if rife with Six Sigma projects.

#202 11 years ago

when i pruchased my ac dc last february, the distributor said a new increase was coming from stern and he said about $200.

#203 11 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Looks like the industry if rife with Six Sigma projects.

I think at Stern, the only six sigma project they have going on is "will people keep paying more and more and more and more for 20+ year old game technology".

Experience Metallica in stunning MONO sound.... etc...

#204 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Yeah, but let me ask this: Does this news make anybody want to cancel their Star Trek or Metallica orders? Probably not. They will keep doing this until people stop buying.

Yes..... I will seriously consider cancelling my Star Trek LE. I have a nice collection of HUO pins now that I do not need to get rid of unless they are going to offer some very serious increases in quality to go along with their seriously increased prices.

#205 11 years ago

31979767.jpg31979767.jpg

#206 11 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

As I look at the manufacturing history of pinball machines, I see very little innovation or improvements. There may be only so many things you can put into a game, but is there really only one way to make them? Looks like the industry if rife with Six Sigma projects.

I totally hear what you are saying, but innovation is hard without investment, and that only recently happened. The more profitable the industry is, the more R&D that can occur (hopefully).

Quoted from RobT:

Dude, you are preaching to the choir. This is Pinside. We are pinheads. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us have a least a basic appreciation of how much work goes into building a pin.

I wish the posts reflected this. Sadly, they do not.

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think at Stern, the only six sigma project they have going on is "will people keep paying more and more and more and more for 20+ year old game technology".
    Experience Metallica in stunning MONO sound.... etc...

If only you could play it in BSMT 2000 like the old Data East days

#208 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I wish the posts reflected this. Sadly, they do not.

Well, you might have a point there.

#209 11 years ago

It is funny that after leaking it was going to be a $500 price increase, everyone seems satisfied it is only going to be a $200 price increase. LOL.

#210 11 years ago

I cancelled my pre-order on Hulk LE over their pricing. And I'm sure many more will do the same with yet another increase. There is no way I will pay $500 more for a Star Trek LE than a Hulk LE. And I don't care either way if it has a LCD screen or not. It does not mean crap when it comes to gameplay or price.
    It would seem pretty stupid to do such a drastic price increase when so many offerings from comopetitors are hitting the market.

#211 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

It is funny that after leaking it was going to be a $500 price increase, everyone seems satisfied it is only going to be a $200 price increase. LOL.

I agree any price increase without better quality is too much with how much they have gone up in the last two years.

#212 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Love this gem:
    » YouTube video

These are the new LE now that the recall took place, LOL.

#213 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

It would seem pretty stupid to do such a drastic price increase when so many offerings from comopetitors are hitting the market.

Sadly no competitors are really hitting the market in Stern's view. Stern is not the LEAST bit concerned with the boutique makers like Ben Heck, JPop, Nemo and Predator.

The only potential "rival" entity that has emerged is JJP and JJP is badly behind schedule of their first pin and won't have a different product out for two years (during that time Stern is going to pump out six more titles . . . Stern may even start signing exclusivity contracts with their distributors to ban them from carrying JJP machines on their floor).

I do not believe Stern is really afraid, at all, of JJP. If anything Stern is hoping for the success of JJP (assuming they stay at one machine released every two years or so) as Stern probably feels that is simply growing the market for pinball in general (similar to how Las Vegas feels when other states legalize gaming . . . they know people will play in their home state and learn more about gambling and then travel to Vegas to see how it is really done . . .).

Stern is the encumbant industry leader, don't under estimate their arrogance or assume they are fearful of losing their spot. Stern is also pumping out some good quality games right now and are finally showing they are committed to software updates and fixes. While they are keeping an eye on the other start ups they are not bothered by them, nor should they be until a rival really takes shape and shows they can mass produce a game that people want and stay in business (can JJP survive with one machine released every two years? Hard to say).

#214 11 years ago

There is no bubble, just more demand. If everyone was maxing out their credit cards to buy these machines, I could understand the bubble talk. But from what I'm seeing, it's people with the means purchasing machines they want.

Why do people seem to think the entire pinball market is going to suddenly come crashing down and all the demand will dry up? You have more and more people who grew up playing hitting an age where they have disposable income. Demand isn't going anywhere for awhile.

#215 11 years ago

when people start on hard times, the first things to go are the luxury items. Also if prices tend to stay to high, some will get sick of it and sell off and get out. THere are many factors that can start flooding the market with too many games available and people needing the money or to move the games quickly. Prices will start dropping eventually. Money isn't endless.

#216 11 years ago

This is not a price increase. The dollar is just decreasing. I have an idea lets print more money and fix everything with band-aids.

#217 11 years ago

For all the threats not to buy anymore NIB machines due to a price increase, I expect Star Trek LE will sell out sight unseen if Steve R. and Lyman are the ones working on it. Why should money be wasted improving quality?

#218 11 years ago
    Quoted from jamespin:

Sterns prices make JJP look like a value buy for sure! This may keep JJP in business selling pins no longer considered a premium price for this premium product.

JJP would have to actually ship games for there to be a value comparison.

#219 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Right... like, hey Dad I'm pregnant... nah, just kidding, I just got collared for prostitution in the parking lot after school... Look on the bright side, I got a job ?!?

Reading Pinside is such a roller coaster ride. I would actually watch the news if the national media learned how to be so entertaining - off topic, irrational, haphazardly meaningless - what a great recipe.

#220 11 years ago

Lets see what the new machines that cost $500 more look like. Maybe Stern is charging more as they are stepping up the quality even more with their machines? If Stern is going to be using LCD's in future pins I wouldn't be surprised if the price increase is to cover the cost of the additional work associated with designing a game with an LCD.

#221 11 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lets see what the new machines that cost $500 more look like. Maybe Stern is charging more as they are stepping up the quality even more with their machines? If Stern is going to be using LCD's in future pins I wouldn't be surprised if the price increase is to cover the cost of the additional work associated with designing a game with an LCD.

Agreed.

The days of incomplete code, misaligned plungers, hazy lower playfields, and the necessity to own a dremel will soon be over for purchasers of a NIB Stern.

Pop the cork. It is time to celebrate.

#222 11 years ago

Can we chill out until we see what the price rise is, and what it is we're paying for?

#223 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Can we chill out until we see what the price rise is, and what it is we're paying for?

I read this thread and kind of laughed the whole way through.

I'm all for conversation but there is no confirmed number for the price increase and everyone is basing this off of the unknown. Haven't seen any of the new machines yet to know if the price increase is warranted.

I agree that prices have risen sharply over the last 3-4 years. That's because they are running a business. They see that the market will bear the price increase so they are making them.

Popcorn out and ready!!!!!!

Chris

#224 11 years ago

Thank JJP and WOZ and now Hobbit for current market prices.

#225 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

^^This

#226 11 years ago

10K by Xmas.

#227 11 years ago

$500 increase will kill the LE market.

Some distributors still have cash tied up in TFLE, Avengers LE BLUE and Xmen LE which are sitting not being moved.

Does Stern really think the Distributors are going to put up more money on the next unproven pin when they have lots of cash already tied up in inventory that they cannot move?

Lets be real if Stern LE's go over $7K then it is going to be cripple Sterns market as competition from JJP, Heighway, Spooky and some of the other guys is going to crush Stern's market share.

JJP is making a $7K game and backing it up with superior build quality. The Avengers build quality is sub par.

If Stern comes out and say we are increasing prices $200.00 to improve the build quality and delivers a working product like AC/DC or Tron then I can except this.

Avengers and Xmen both have major issues. Avengers has problems that software cannot fix. Xmen's code and board problems have to have hurt Stern's bottom line.

#228 11 years ago

They're already too expensive Let's just hope that those who buy it get what they pay for.

#229 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

$500 increase will kill the LE market.
    Some distributors still have cash tied up in TFLE, Avengers LE BLUE and Xmen LE which are sitting not being moved.
    Does Stern really think the Distributors are going to put up more money on the next unproven pin when they have lots of cash already tied up in inventory that they cannot move?
    Lets be real if Stern LE's go over $7K then it is going to be cripple Sterns market as competition from JJP, Heighway, Spooky and some of the other guys is going to crush Stern's market share.
    JJP is making a $7K game and backing it up with superior build quality. The Avengers build quality is sub par.
    If Stern comes out and say we are increasing prices $200.00 to improve the build quality and delivers a working product like AC/DC or Tron then I can except this.
    Avengers and Xmen both have major issues. Avengers has problems that software cannot fix. Xmen's code and board problems have to have hurt Stern's bottom line.

You should dump the avengers to teach them a lesson. I can help

#230 11 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

Thank JJP and WOZ and now Hobbit for current market prices

Somehow, I knew someone would try to blame the price increase on JJP.

At least JJP seems to be putting together a quality product.

I'm not sure I can say that about Stern. Most of the recent Stern games appear/feel cheap IMO.

#231 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I agree with this!!!

#232 11 years ago

"Prices May go up"

In other SHOCKING and unexpected news:
    Water is Wet.

homer.jpghomer.jpg

#233 11 years ago

Stern will raise their prices, make some pins, sell out completely... any more questions?

#234 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

When?

#235 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Somehow, I knew someone would try to blame the price increase on JJP.
    I'm not sure I can say that about Stern. Most of the recent Stern games appear/feel cheap IMO.

Hmmmm well that's when prices really started to go up so yeah.....as for product....JJP has not released one official product....they have shipped nothing yet. I will say the WOZ's i have seen at shows seem to show superior build quality. However, we can only judge this properly after the game has been released for about 6 months to a year, who knows when that will be....

It seems Stern wants More money for an increasingly cheap product...I for one doubt I will be a buyer of a NIB stern again.

But if JJP machines do prove out to have this "superior" build quality , people will line up even more for future machines....and I might be one of them...if you're going to pay around 7 k for a NIB machine may as well be one that is built well w/ quality....

#236 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

There is no bubble, just more demand. If everyone was maxing out their credit cards to buy these machines, I could understand the bubble talk. But from what I'm seeing, it's people with the means purchasing machines they want.
    Why do people seem to think the entire pinball market is going to suddenly come crashing down and all the demand will dry up? You have more and more people who grew up playing hitting an age where they have disposable income. Demand isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Most of the kids growing up now have never played pinball and would rather play it on their Iphone.

#238 11 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Stern will raise their prices, make some pins, sell out completely... any more questions?

and by X-mas prices will go up again

#239 11 years ago

That is at least a major part of it!

#240 11 years ago

Some people are picking up their games this weekend at the factory from what I've heard.

#241 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind a price increase if we actually got MORE for our money....

But the fact is, we don't! We just got more QC/QA problems and ramps that need a dremel taken to them and aux boards that continually die or pop bumbers / coils that weren't even built or wired right at the factory.

In my eyes, the price increases are only to line their pockets more and/or pay for failed endeavors (i.e. "the pin") and that makes me sad.

*Avengers Owners Look Away*
    No offense to Avengers owners, but in my opinion, the Hulk LE I played felt / looked / played cheap as hell and I couldn't help but look at it and think, "this is a 7k game?" (Flame suit on)

#242 11 years ago
    Quoted from vtec16:

as for product....JJP has not released one official product....they have shipped nothing yet.

I thought these started shipping in December of 2011.

#243 11 years ago

This does not kick in until 2014. Any employee working over 30 hours is considered a full time employee. This will no doubt impact prices for all of us. However, this does not kick in until 2014. If Stern were smart they would only raise pricing by $100.00 on this pin and another $100.00 on the next pin.

If they try and raise them by $500.00 then they will not sell out. There needs to be some quality improvements to justify this kind of increase. Pumping out 3 new pins per year with an overpriced LE option is going to affect market share. They also now need to worry about increased competition.

My suggestion to Stern would be to think about selling direct to customers on pinball related products. Signed Tranlites, Alternate Translites, New PF, LED DMD. Color DMDs for some existing products or best selling pins, Playfield plastics by the piece. Create a whole new revenue stream with online ordering etc..,

They should be thinking more about improving the product and boosting efficiency and cycle time to combat the rising prices everywhere not sticking it to their loyal customer base

We have a group of about 5 people that wanted to try a group buy on Metallica LE's . Add another $200 - $500.00 to the price and those of us that want the game may opt to just buy a pro or wait for prices to fall. I do not think this group buy will be happening if there is a significant price increase

#244 11 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

I thought these started shipping in December of 2011.

Not that I know of.....I'm sure many WOZ owners would have loved that though.

#245 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I wouldn't mind a price increase if we actually got MORE for our money....

LOL, welcome to the real world called LIFE!

#247 11 years ago

Oh and if us as customers do not buy this the distributors are going to get stuck with inventory that they just cannot move.

#248 11 years ago

Jack has called early buyers to inform them that their games are shipping, they could be on trucks right now. Does that answer the "when"?

#249 11 years ago

doh

#250 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, it won't take food off my table...but it still feels like someone's sayin "Let's see how far we can push these addict motherf*ckers" ....which then makes me say "Yeah well...I DON'T really NEED another game".

Exactly.

I don't think it'd be the worst thing in the world for Stern to get a wake-up call from collectors in the form of hundreds of unordered LE's for the next game. If not, why WOULDN'T they keep increasing the price? Think about it!!

There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-price-increase-with-next-pin/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.