IMG_7353 (resized).jpeg
20240521_151344 (resized).jpg
20240510_130328 (resized).jpg
IMG_4462 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4469 (resized).jpeg
20240305_145604 (resized).jpg
20240305_145600 (resized).jpg
1941DBD2-1C48-4289-9E47-37008985DE16 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,253 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 86.
#4201 54 days ago
Quoted from Steve_Hatfield:

My cabinet artwork is in terrible condition. I'm not that fussy about it as I don't look at it when I play games. I am thinking of sanding all the woodwork and using bedroom wallpaper with a space theme. It is much cheaper and some are really good quality. Either way, I did a search and found this site in Germany that seems to have a few Space Station things that might be helpful to all. Obviously I have no idea about the site so don't blame me.. But it may be of help to some people on here.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/space-station/?p=1
Cheers.

Their products get mostly favorable reviews around here with a few complaints.
The big issue for US residents is that they don't ship here, so US folks ordering from them need to use a German forwarding service. I don't know if they ship to the UK, but guessing they do.

#4202 54 days ago

My cabinet artwork is in terrible condition. I'm not that fussy about it as I don't look at it when I play games. I am thinking of sanding all the woodwork and using bedroom wallpaper with a space theme. It is much cheaper and some are really good quality. Either way, I did a search and found this site in Germany that seems to have a few Space Station things that might be helpful to all. Obviously I have no idea about the site so don't blame me.. But it may be of help to some people on here.
Cheers.

I got these for the Space Station I restored and it came out beautiful.

https://pinballdecalseu.com/shop/space-station-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

#4203 54 days ago

Is there any place to get a replacement speaker grill with the Williams logo on it? One of mine is crappy.

#4204 54 days ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Is there any place to get a replacement speaker grill with the Williams logo on it? One of mine is crappy.

I think classic arcades has them.

#4205 54 days ago

I’ll check ‘em out; thanks!

#4206 53 days ago

Cheers.

My cabinet was painted green when I first bought it!

I got lucky and found a stencil kit and repainted my cab, it wasn’t too bad, but I did have a lot of experience doing that sort of thing.

Thank you for the pinball center link, it should be noted that they dont ship to the USA . USA residents must use a re-route company, there’s a whole thread on it somewhere around here

#4207 53 days ago
Quoted from daly124:

I got these for the Space Station I restored and it came out beautiful.
https://pinballdecalseu.com/shop/space-station-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

Hi. Have seen a variety of decal sets, but the more I think about it and if you look at all the present day machines that come with loads of different cabinet artwork. I'm going to use a space themed wallpaper or something similar to achieve something a bit different. The basic 3 colour stencil of the originals back then is a bit dull. I will be keeping it for ever. So it won't matter for resale value.

#4208 53 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My cabinet was painted green when I first bought it!
I got lucky and found a stencil kit and repainted my cab, it wasn’t too bad, but I did have a lot of experience doing that sort of thing.
Thank you for the pinball center link, it should be noted that they dont ship to the USA . USA residents must use a re-route company, there’s a whole thread on it somewhere around here

Hi. Have seen a variety of decal sets, but the more I think about it and if you look at all the present day machines that come with loads of different cabinet artwork. I'm going to use a space themed wallpaper or something similar to achieve something a bit different. The basic 3 colour stencil of the originals back then is a bit dull. I will be keeping it for ever. So it won't matter for resale value.

#4209 53 days ago

I've added 6 clear star posts lit with green LEDs and mirrored the sides.

#4210 53 days ago

So green! Looking amazing. Pretty neat how something as simple as green GI lighting during a 3 ball multi-ball can be so much fun.

#4211 53 days ago

What art is that under your ramp, it looks fantastic and right in theme with the game

#4212 53 days ago

This pin was a complete shocker to me.

I’ve owned most system 11s. This one is the complete package. They nailed the theme. The music and playability of the pin actually make it feel like you’re playing in space. Absolutely fantastic machine and is bolted down. Easily a top 5 system 11 for
Me. Challenging as hell.

#4213 53 days ago

Wow. Mirror blades look awesome!

#4214 52 days ago
Quoted from FinnThelonious:

What art is that under your ramp, it looks fantastic and right in theme with the game

Nothing under the ramp. Just the coil. I think the original ramp was black opaque. Mine has the blue translucent replacement that was available a few years ago.

#4215 51 days ago

Nothing under the ramp. Just the coil. I think the original ramp was black opaque. Mine has the blue translucent replacement that was available a few years ago.

Mirror blades and lit star posts! Great job

So what's different about your ramp is that you have a space shuttle graphic under it that the rest of us do not, can you get a couple of good pics for us?

Here’s a pic of mine

IMG_7353 (resized).jpegIMG_7353 (resized).jpeg
#4216 51 days ago

I love the translucent blue. But I don’t like seeing that random coil.

Needs a decal I think too

#4217 51 days ago

I remember there being decals like that for Bride of Pinbot. Ramp decals or after market mod ones.

#4218 51 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Mirror blades and lit star posts! Great job
So what's different about your ramp is that you have a space shuttle graphic under it that the rest of us do not, can you get a couple of good pics for us?
Here’s a pic of mine
[quoted image]

I never noticed it before.... Now I see it. There might be a way of lighting it.

Under-Ramp (resized).pngUnder-Ramp (resized).png
#4219 51 days ago

The Freeplay40 blue Space Station ramp is awesome. Best thing I did to my machine after installing green and frosted white LED bulbs for the general illumination.

#4220 51 days ago

Cool sticker under your ramp.

#4221 51 days ago

I never noticed it before.... Now I see it. There might be a way of lighting it.[quoted image]

Where do I get one of those?

#4222 50 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Where do I get one of those?

It came with the game. I never realised it was there as didn't know any different. As it sez both stop and score and lock when lit, maybe it was made using a graphics program. It can't be too hard nowadays to scan or use a few pics to make your own bespoke images and then print them.

#4223 49 days ago
Quoted from interconnect:

If you're positive you have the right bulbs in there, the next place I'd go is the resistors. Yes, they are on a small board on the back wall of the cabinet.

Pulled out the flashlamp resistor board, and sure enough, R4 was was bad! Ordered some from Amazon and replaced it today. All flashers are now working! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

20240528_153251 (resized).jpg20240528_153251 (resized).jpg20240528_153337 (resized).jpg20240528_153337 (resized).jpg
#4224 49 days ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Pulled out the flashlamp resistor board, and sure enough, R4 was was bad! Ordered some from Amazon and replaced it today. All flashers are now working! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. [quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome! Glad you found the issue.

3 weeks later
#4225 26 days ago

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I just finished shopping out my space station which was a complete tear down. When I make the left loop shot, the ball never goes in the lock. It ends up hitting the rubber that sits just below the lock between the lock and the right-most rollover lane. The ball bounces off that rubber and never makes it to the lock.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever have this issue?

The game plays great otherwise! Full LED’s is the only way to go on this game, especially under condition green!

Thanks

Dave

#4226 25 days ago
Quoted from dmartin244:

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I just finished shopping out my space station which was a complete tear down. When I make the left loop shot, the ball never goes in the lock. It ends up hitting the rubber that sits just below the lock between the lock and the right-most rollover lane. The ball bounces off that rubber and never makes it to the lock.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever have this issue?
The game plays great otherwise! Full LED’s is the only way to go on this game, especially under condition green!
Thanks
Dave

I had a similar sounding issue on my game after shopping it too. Can't recall the exact solution and I don't seem to have any pics that focused on it.

I think mine was more related to the position and padding that's in the angled bracket behind that saucer. I remember taking the glass off and then using my hand to sling the ball around while I was standing directly over the saucer to try and see what the issue was. I seem to recall it was getting back to the saucer, but not settling in because the bracket and/or pad on the underside of it weren't quite right.

Sorry I'm not more help. I do think it helped me figure it out though by repeatedly and manually slinging the ball around with a good view of the area to see what you might be able to move or adjust.

Share some pics of yours from directly over that saucer and maybe someone will spot something out of position.

#4227 25 days ago

The bracket is my issue for that left orbit dock. I'm pretty sure mine works better once I loosened the bracket to have a little play.

#4228 24 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

The bracket is my issue for that left orbit dock. I'm pretty sure mine works better once I loosened the bracket to have a little play.

This makes sense.

Wondering if one of those blue foam pieces attached to the deflector would help absorb the hit too.

#4229 23 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

This makes sense.
Wondering if one of those blue foam pieces attached to the deflector would help absorb the hit too.

For me the blue dense rubber foam was too bouncy and it still flew back out. Ended up using a more generic adhesive backed black foam (sort of like what you stick on a door frame to seal it) and it works like a charm to deaden it and allow it to drop right in.

#4230 23 days ago

I still have several NOS Space Station Translite available. Several in great shape and some have a few blemishes. PM if interested and will provide pictures.

#4231 22 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

For me the blue dense rubber foam was too bouncy and it still flew back out. Ended up using a more generic adhesive backed black foam (sort of like what you stick on a door frame to seal it) and it works like a charm to deaden it and allow it to drop right in.

Or use Dead Drop Foam!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-drop-foam-has-bounced-back

Matt

1 week later
#4232 16 days ago

The Player 4 display on my Space Station is dead. I tried reseating the connectors and ribbon cable which didn’t do anything to help. Any tips before I start digging into it?

#4233 15 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

The Player 4 display on my Space Station is dead. I tried reseating the connectors and ribbon cable which didn’t do anything to help. Any tips before I start digging into it?

Swap the Player 3 and 4 displays to see if it's the display itself or something else.

#4234 10 days ago

Could someone please get me a picture of the interconnect board in the back of the cabinet? I'm trying to sort through some issues with the connectors, I need to see the connectors plugged into the board on a working game. Below is a picture of the board in question.

https://imgproxy.pinside.com/7Y-_0NQaY57-xf_xREBSJKBRHJqnVbzvLIan3-vx_-4/rs:fit:1024/q:85/fn:Pinside_forum_6971904_0/aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tL2EvYjMvNWUvYWIzNWUwMDk3YzY5MWMwNmU4OTRmODFkYWU5ZmZmYjZlNWUzMmZkYi5qcGc

Thank You!

#4235 10 days ago
Quoted from dpannell:

Could someone please get me a picture of the interconnect board in the back of the cabinet? I'm trying to sort through some issues with the connectors, I need to see the connectors plugged into the board on a working game. Below is a picture of the board in question.
https://imgproxy.pinside.com/7Y-_0NQaY57-xf_xREBSJKBRHJqnVbzvLIan3-vx_-4/rs:fit:1024/q:85/fn:Pinside_forum_6971904_0/aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tL2EvYjMvNWUvYWIzNWUwMDk3YzY5MWMwNmU4OTRmODFkYWU5ZmZmYjZlNWUzMmZkYi5qcGc
Thank You!

The interconnect board is in the backbox on a side panel. The pic that is in your link is the flashlamp resistor board. It is in the bottom cabinet all the way on the rear.

#4236 9 days ago

I guess I consider them both interconnect boards. I need the one I posted. It is in the back of the cabinet. Yes it has some resistors for a few flash lamps but it also connects circuits on the playfield to the backbox boards. Thanks.

#4237 7 days ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Swap the Player 3 and 4 displays to see if it's the display itself or something else.

Space Station has one large circuit board that the 4 plasma displays are soldered to. I don't see an easy way to swap the Player 3 and Player 4 displays without doing a ton of soldering.

I looked at the schematic and I think the J5 connector on the display board goes to Player 4. Am I reading that correctly? The blue wires from J5 seem to go to the 1J3 pins on the MPU. I checked continuity and those connectors and pins are all reading good.

Before I give up on this plasma display as being dead and move on to the Wolfpac LED kit, is there anything else I should check to make sure I can't get the original plasma working again? I don't want to get the LED kit and there be a problem on the MPU that might be the real cause.
IMG_6262 (resized).jpegIMG_6262 (resized).jpegIMG_6265 (resized).jpegIMG_6265 (resized).jpegIMG_6266 (resized).jpegIMG_6266 (resized).jpegIMG_6267 (resized).jpegIMG_6267 (resized).jpegIMG_6268 (resized).jpegIMG_6268 (resized).jpeg

#4238 7 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Space Station has one large circuit board that the 4 plasma displays are soldered to. I don't see an easy way to swap the Player 3 and Player 4 displays without doing a ton of soldering.
I looked at the schematic and I think the J5 connector on the display board goes to Player 4. Am I reading that correctly? The blue wires from J5 seem to go to the 1J3 pins on the MPU. I checked continuity and those connectors and pins are all reading good.
Before I give up on this plasma display as being dead and move on to the Wolfpac LED kit, is there anything else I should check to make sure I can't get the original plasma working again? I don't want to get the LED kit and there be a problem on the MPU that might be the real cause.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You might want to check and see if it’s a bad pin socket(s) in one of the connectors. I would look at the schematic and see what lines are for player 4 and mess around with that. Could also be a bad chip; might want to investigate that as well.

Also, I have a Wolfpac display in mine, but to be honest, I don’t really like it. Some of the digits look different than the original (has a short diagonal digit). The price is good, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn’t get the Wolfpac for Space Station. I do have a Wolfpac in my Space Shuttle and that looks great as it is not alpha-numeric.

#4239 7 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

D'oh!
Yup. You're correct. Swapping the displays works fine on Pinbot and some other sys 11s though.
Mr. Interconnect has good ideas.

#4240 6 days ago

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the schematic again and it looks like I was following the route wrong for the Player 4 display.
Looks like I need to check out the J4 connector and U14 chip on the display board.

#4241 5 days ago

I’m lost at this point. I spent a couple hours last night checking continuity on the MPU board and display board. Pulled the MPU and reflowed some solder on the header pins and looked for anything obviously wrong.

How do I check to make sure signals are getting to the Player 4 display? Is there an easy test vs. the display having off-gassed?

#4242 5 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I’m lost at this point. I spent a couple hours last night checking continuity on the MPU board and display board. Pulled the MPU and reflowed some solder on the header pins and looked for anything obviously wrong.
How do I check to make sure signals are getting to the Player 4 display? Is there an easy test vs. the display having off-gassed?

I would re-pin all the connectors going to the displays. Is easy and cheap to do and if it doesn’t fix the problem, you’re replacing crappy IDC connectors anyways; less chance for issues down the road and is just a good thing to do anyhow. I use the Trifurcon pin sockets and housings from Pinball Life. I think they call them “Crimp and Stuff” or something like that. I can show you the crimper I have too. It was relatively inexpensive and works really good. That would help you rule out the possibility of it being a connector issue.

You could also replace any ICs that are in the line for player 4. It’s kind of weird that one whole display is dead, which makes me think it isn’t getting powered up or there’s a bad chip or connector somewhere.

After all that, I would just replace it but I’d want to know that it wasn’t some other issue first. You could potentially replace it, only to find that you still have the same issue. Then you would’ve bought a replacement display for no reason. Speaking of… I do have my original Space Station displays that I could send you to test. It works but has some digits are burning out (but does fully work), but at least you could figure out if it’s the displays or an MPU issue. Do you have or could you borrow another display to put in for testing?

#4243 5 days ago

interconnect Yes! I have the exact same fear as you. I don't want to buy a new LED display set if the problem is really that there is something wrong on the MPU or display boards. I guess a cheap thing to do would also be to buy a new ribbon cable.

I have been looking at the header pins and connectors and checking continuity between the MPU board and the display board.

Yes, I think it is strange that the Player 4 numeric display is totally dead and everything else is working wonderfully.

#4244 5 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I guess a cheap thing to do would also be to buy a new ribbon cable.

You can swap the ribbon cable "orientation". Red stripe is normally pin 1 to pin 1. You could install the ribbon cable red stripe pin 26 to pin 26. This will swap the conductors being used for the signals. You will find that this will not fix your problems based on the signal protocol from CPU to master display board.

Another cheap thing to do would be to purchase a logic probe and start probing the signals to find where any potential problem would be.

Quoted from DanMarino:

I think it is strange that the Player 4 numeric display is totally dead and everything else is working wonderfully.

Consult the schematic. It is on page 63 of the manual. It is the same for all "quad" displays so if you find that illegible then use a different game manual for a game with the same kind of display. The segments that are used for player 4 are the same as player 3. The strobe inputs that are used for player 4 are the same as player 2. The strobe outputs that are used for player 4 are different than player 2. Focus on the strobe output for player 4. Also do not forget to check for voltage. No voltage = no display.

Again, read the manual. Consult the schematic. The logic is documented.

#4245 5 days ago

Thanks! I am struggling with the Space Station schematics on the IPDBwebsite. I’ll also have to get a logic probe.

#4246 5 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I am struggling with the Space Station schematics on the IMDb website.

The F-14 Tomcat manual looks to have a clearer scan. Page 51 of that manual. It's the SAME display.

#4247 2 days ago

Did the display just randomly go out? Or did you jiggle something or work on something?

#4248 2 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Did the display just randomly go out? Or did you jiggle something or work on something?

It went out randomly. The machine was on for maybe 5 hours when we had a family cookout. I’m on vacation in Myrtle Beach so won’t get working on it until week. I need to order a logic probe off of Amazon.

#4249 2 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

It went out randomly. The machine was on for maybe 5 hours when we had a family cookout. I’m on vacation in Myrtle Beach so won’t get working on it until week. I need to order a logic probe off of Amazon.

It’s more than likely gassed out if it just went out. Order blue.

#4250 2 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

It’s more than likely gassed out if it just went out.

Agree with this, if you want to play the odds game. The plasma glass is more likely to fail than the digital logic.

The best, cheapest solution is to actually diagnose the cause of the problem before spending $ on something that potentially will not fix the problem. Every person has different tolerances for how much time/money/effort they want to put into resolving an issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,253 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.