20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg
There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 84.
#1 10 years ago

Space Station -- one of the best System 11s ever made...

Well-executed theme.
Cool call outs: "Looking good!" "You must re-dock!"
Great sound effects.
Amazing soundtrack by Chris Granner.
Nice backglass.
Great light show.
Nice open playfield which penalizes you infrequently for missed shots. First-timers REALLY like this machine.
Last pin made without inlanes -- which is a nice gimmick.
Good 3-ball multi-ball with great effects and a clear multi-ball jackpot shot. I really like how you can get a few good detaining shots middle and right to clear up the playfield to make the upper left orbit.
GREEN MODE! (you'd better LED this up!)

I started up a Space Station Club so that other proud Space Station owners can share the over-the-top love for the machine as well as: repair help, restoration tips, part requests, requesting wiring photos, topper ideas, best LED usage, color matching tips, and upgrade ideas...

RESOURCES/IDEAS:
http://spacestation.santoro.com/
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/spacestation/repair/repair.html
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vacuum-formed-my-own-space-station
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miniature-space-station-lit-up
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-station-1987-bad-mylar-playfieldscan

[x] add to your favorites (do this now!)

-mof

#2 10 years ago

It is a great game, I regret selling mine.

#3 10 years ago

Condition Green!

I love my Space Station.
Watch for Pbull who's in the process of making replacement stations. I know there's a lot of very poor looking ones out there.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vacuum-formed-my-own-space-station

#4 10 years ago

This was our first table! We love it and it will never leave the collection. If I ever get a phone that allows it, I want the music that plays when you put your name in for a high score to be my ringtone!

#5 10 years ago

I'm currently fixing up a space station at my office. Its got a ton of small problems with it but it is generally working now. I think it spent some time in the sun or something because all the plastic graphics are warped and curling. especially the space station toy itself. I'm probably going to sculpt and mold my own out of resin. If I do I'll post progress here.

Thanks for the resource links! I'm already seeing solutions to a few of my problems. like the battery's being moved off the board.

#6 10 years ago

Great thread!!

Just picked up a Space Station last Thursday and have been playing it ever since! Super addictive pin. I love it for all the reasons listed above and can't believe it doesn't have a higher ranking amongst other system 11 games. I have been tweaking the led's from what previous owner had and dialing it in a little and it just keeps getting better and better! I don't see this pin leaving

#7 10 years ago

Love My Space Station!

IMAG0362.jpgIMAG0362.jpg blue.jpgblue.jpg stationform2web.jpgstationform2web.jpg

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Love My Space Station!

I miss my Space Station....

#9 10 years ago

I have a question about my Space Station flashers.

I see five of them in the top right. Only the 2nd one from the left lights up. I checked all the bulbs.

Can someone take a short 30 second vid of what they see during coil/flasher tests or lamp tests to show me what they see? Do you get all four? At what times?

thanks!
-mof

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I miss my Space Station....

Ditto.

#11 10 years ago

My parents bought a Space Station for their business 17 years ago and I got it from them about 5 years ago. It will always be a keeper. Has anyone ever made a replacement ramp to the station?

#12 10 years ago

Space Station was my 2nd pin, after Black Knight. I managed to find a NOS playfield for $150, and I bought a second game to harvest its pristine ramp and nicer cabinet. The playfield swap was a TON of work, since it wasn't drilled or dimpled. And swapping out twice as many GI sockets as normal took forever!

The Space Station at PAPA played really well. The slings and flippers were stronger than mine, which made it fast as whale snot. There's no better game for learning to drop catch. If you don't know how to kill the ball's momentum, you'll be flailing.

I've been tempted to sell mine in the past, but it's a keeper now (along with WW).

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have a question about my Space Station flashers.
I see five of them in the top right. Only the 2nd one from the left lights up. I checked all the bulbs.
Can someone take a short 30 second vid of what they see during coil/flasher tests or lamp tests to show me what they see? Do you get all four? At what times?
thanks!
-mof

The flashers on the back wall (3 orange and two red) are not all flashers. This really confused me, but on both machines I've gone through, all the orange bulbs were either burned out or the wrong bulb type. The orange ones are #1251 bulbs and stay on during gameplay. The red ones are #89 and are normal flashers.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

The flashers on the back wall (3 orange and two red) are not all flashers. This really confused me, but on both machines I've gone through, all the orange bulbs were either burned out or the wrong bulb type. The orange ones are #1251 bulbs and stay on during gameplay. The red ones are #89 and are normal flashers.

Interesting... can other Space Station owners take a look into this?

1) I have 5 orange lamp covers in the top right of the upper playfield.
2) under the all lamp test, and single lamp test, none come on. under coil/flasher, I can get the second (I think) of 5 to flash.

-mof

#15 10 years ago

Well - both space stations that I've worked on have been as I described. Maybe your lamp covers are just a different color. The left, center, and right are orange on mine. The other two are red and are #89 flashers. Did you try changing the bulb in the 4th to the right?

#16 10 years ago

This isn't my machine, but it shows the orange lights on during gameplay.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I'd call the flashers yellow and red rather than orange and red, but mine works the same way.
If you put the wrong bulbs in there, they'll burn out instantly. That can cause you to think that there are other issues. Yeah, I did that.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

» YouTube video

Thank you. That's brutal to find out mine has 5 orange covers there. I have a very clean example with no mods that I am aware of, also -- I can't imagine any balls hitting up there, so it makes me wonder if some games shipped with 5 orange up top? Either way -- I'd sure like to see that lighting behavior.

I would be interested to know what behavior you get in lamp tests, so I can try and mimic that.

-mof

#19 10 years ago

If I remember correctly - the 3 orange (yellow) come on in test mode under a solenoid test not a lamp test. The other two come on as one of the flashers.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

This is exactly what I found with my space station. The two red #89 flashers between the orange worked fine. When I pulled bulbs from the three orange ones they were all #89 flasher bulbs and all were burnt out. Replaced orange with #1251's and now they are on normally. (constant on during gameplay) Two red flashers fire during gameplay achievements.

Quoted from mdclips:

If I remember correctly - the 3 orange (yellow) come on in test mode under a solenoid test not a lamp test. The other two come on as one of the flashers.

Yep, both are under the COIL TEST in the menu. The orange 1,3,& 5 bulbs are under P'fld Top Panel Flashers. The red 2 & 4 flashers are in same menu.

1 month later
#21 10 years ago

Can i join the space station club/
It is my first machine and need lots of help getting it back in good shape. I have corrected the 3 24v relays 2 of which had been hacked. I also swappped opotos on shuttle opto board.Which corrected my shuttle spinning problem. Upgaded to leds and replaced plastics. Well all but the ones with rivets in the orange light covers. Should be receiving that tool anyday now. Here are a couple things that are next on list.

*Upgrading rom chips
*Pulling up mylar and resetting some of the clear insets on field and installing new mylar
*Rebuilding flippers as they are both weak
*Installing new speakers since ( Re dock now) sounds so cool
Would deff. love to join the club and would post updates with pics!

1 week later
#22 10 years ago

Lighting!

I think I made the backbox look 2x better. Left 44s in the "space station area up top", the 6-7 ring bulbs, and the Williams and the Shuttle Flame. Went cold frosted on all the other spots. Now you have cold and warm fighting in the backglass, and it gives the art more depth.

I've changed out the bulbs on the lower PF from 44's to frosted-cold, and I think it looks great. I've swapped out all the original flaking painted greens to I'd like to change out the bulbs on the upper PF that is obstructed by ramps, habitrails, and the station etc.

I already tried blue frosted in all the lower, like in my Space Shuttle, and it doesn't work AT ALL. The plastic is not translucent enough for blue, like in Space Shuttle.

Are there any shortcuts at all?
Any recommendations on removing these things?

-mof

#23 10 years ago

The red flashers on the back panel of the PF are flashers, the 3 orange ones are meant to stay on constantly during gameplay. this is normal.
I love my Space station a truly underated system 11 machine its a perminent keeper for me.

Are there any shortcuts at all?
Any recommendations on removing these things?

-mof

Are you talking about the upper mini pf? it should be absolutely clear unless its beat to hell like this one.

There are only a few screws holding it on then unscrew the 2 ramps and disconnect the plugs under the pF and it comes right off. the bulbs between the lanes you need to unscrew the sockets the replace same all the flasher on it. Some of these upper mini PF's were also black

ss.jpgss.jpg

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Can i join the Space Station club/
It is my first machine and need lots of help getting it back in good shape. I have corrected the 3 24v relays 2 of which had been hacked. I also swappped opotos on shuttle opto board.Which corrected my shuttle spinning problem. Upgaded to leds and replaced plastics. Well all but the ones with rivets in the orange light covers. Should be receiving that tool anyday now. Here are a couple things that are next on list.
*Upgrading rom chips
*Pulling up mylar and resetting some of the clear insets on field and installing new mylar
*Rebuilding flippers as they are both weak
*Installing new speakers since ( Re dock now) sounds so cool
Would deff. love to join the club and would post updates with pics!

What did you replace the speakers with? I just ordered 2 JVC CS-V627 2 way speakers, one for the backbox and one for the cab. Price was $48.99 shipped on Ebay

#25 10 years ago

Hi everyone can I join? Mine arrived Thur. and after only a few games I determined "this thing has light speed slings". They have to be the fastest of any game ever produced, unless someone messed with mine. I bought it from a fellow Pinsider, the game with the "fruity" Space Station wording on the backglass. Plays great and I'll now work on making it look "purdy".

#26 10 years ago

Lighting!

Green mode. I think it's WAYYY too dark to see the ball. Wondering what we can use under the slings to get maximum light, but keep it green...

What have you tried?
-mof

#27 10 years ago

Green LEDs make the green mode look really great! Best part of the game!

#28 10 years ago

Finishing my light swap out to cold white LEDs. Can't figure out how to get this top level plastic out. Seems like the two black plastic bracers are threaded to the machine screw, which seems to be extra long and go down into the playfield, but they both wobble a little. Looking for advice before using force.

(I solved it...) I used locking pliers to grasp the top of the long screw, and screw it into the plastic. Total hack. I am going to leave it "loose" since this plastic never gets hit by a ball, and the looseness of the screws doesn't impact how upright the plastic sits there.

thanks!
-mof

201309_space-station-plastic.jpg201309_space-station-plastic.jpg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What did you replace the speakers with? I just ordered 2 JVC CS-V627 2 way speakers, one for the backbox and one for the cab. Price was $48.99 shipped on Ebay

I actually went ahead and spent the money on the set from pinball pro.com
The sound awesome and re dock now multi ball sounds sweet as well as high score.
The only issue I have is you can not open the p/f all the way due to the sub. There is a mounting plate( pressed cardboard) that could be thinner. I will be getting touch with someone from pinballpro to see if they can remedy this.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Finishing my light swap out to cold white LEDs. Can't figure out how to get this top level plastic out. Seems like the two black plastic bracers are threaded to the machine screw, which seems to be extra long and go down into the playfield, but they both wobble a little. Looking for advice before using force.
Any ideas?
thanks!
-mof

I replaced my plastics last weekend. Pin looks brand new it's super cool. I did unfortunately have to remove the upper p/f and both wire ramps to get to lower plastic. There should be at least 2bolts and 2 nuts ( the nuts should be above lower plastic) then spacers for upper plastic then bolts to hold together.
I separated upper from lower tightened the nuts holding lower plastic then put lower plastic back in. Then being very careful with my force got the upper back on and together. The lower plastic does have separate screws for holding it on the p/f.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Green LEDs make the green mode look really great! Best part of the game!

I went with green led's myself. It is a little darker but way more awesome!

#33 10 years ago

This was the first game I added LEDs to and I think the green really pops now.

#34 10 years ago

Does anyone think it's a dumb idea to have the toy space station chromed? Just and idea I had. The cost to have my R2D2 head done is only $25 so I'm thinking the station would be about $40. All comments welcome.

#35 10 years ago

Does anyone think it's a dumb idea to have the toy Space Station chromed? Just and idea I had. The cost to have my R2D2 head done is only $25 so I'm thinking the station would be about $40. All comments welcome.

If you do that then you can't do this...
Here is a teaser picture. I should have it done in a couple of more days.
There are 18 LEDs in the circumference and a red flashing LED in the center.
I'll post as a new forum topic.

Space_station_lit_up.jpgSpace_station_lit_up.jpg

#36 10 years ago

OH I like that!!! Yeah I want to hear more.

#37 10 years ago

I like the lit space station. Cool!

And as far as pinball pro sub, you'll have to mount it directly to the bottom, and get rid of the adapter. That is what I did on mine.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

OH NO YOU DI-'INT !!!
Frickin' cool.
They said it couldn't be done!!!
-mof

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I like the lit Space Station. Cool!
And as far as pinball pro sub, you'll have to mount it directly to the bottom, and get rid of the adapter. That is what I did on mine.

Can you explain more? I don't understand by what you mean with "pinball pro sub" and the "adapter"?

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I actually went ahead and spent the money on the set from pinball pro.com
The sound awesome and re dock now multi ball sounds sweet as well as high score.
The only issue I have is you can not open the p/f all the way due to the sub. There is a mounting plate( pressed cardboard) that could be thinner. I will be getting touch with someone from pinballpro to see if they can remedy this.

I was responding to this post. The subwoofer combined with the 3/4" adapter plate mounted to the bottom of the cabinet is too high. One of the VUK's in the back of the playfield hits it when the playfield is lifted. You can mount the speaker directly to the cabinet bottom and avoid this problem.

#41 10 years ago

I thought I'd share some pictures of my really nice space station.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115692173024743427113/SpaceStation?authkey=Gv1sRgCOH2zJWK1YSpYA

#42 10 years ago

Yup that's in nice shape and your ramp is not cracked at it's entrance either.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

Space_station_lit_up.jpg 209 KB

Any word yet?

#45 10 years ago

Yes vectordreams posted the new link.

I'm real happy with it. I've probably played over 100 games with no issues.

From a players view which didn't show in the pictures is that the LEDs reflect off of the copper pc board and the Space Station looks like it has perimeter lighting. A little hard to explain. You can see each LED in the reflection. I think this adds to the effect which I wasn't expecting.

The wiper contacts haven't failed once yet. One good thing is that the rotation is in just one direction and it is not turning constantly.

#46 10 years ago

Regarding lighting the miniature space station, here is a picture where I tried to adjust the exposure to show the LED reflection off of the copper surface.Pic with exposure adjusted.jpgPic with exposure adjusted.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Any members need an nos clear coated playfield?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nos-clear-coated-playfields-roadkings-and-space-shuttle#post-1164282

It is a space station not shuttle like the heading says.
It sure is pretty.

1 week later
#48 10 years ago

Winter is coming and time to get back to working on my SS. Need some suggestions will i wait for my flipper rebuild kit to get here. Thanks vid 1900 for the guide posted on how to rebuild flippers.

When i go into audits to change to free play the selector switch does not work. As well as not working any other time. Suggestions on this would be greatly apprieciated since i do not know where to start on the selector switch. I am getting a blinking light for the diagnostic led on the cpu board in head unit wondering what this means.

#49 10 years ago

Anyone have a speaker panel for Space Station? Not the wood just the plastic?

On a side note I finally bondo d my cabinet painted it. Finishing up today. Changed the red to florescent green and it look amazing!!!!!

So its black, green and white!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Anyone have a speaker panel for Space Station? Not the wood just the plastic?
On a side note I finally bondo d my cabinet painted it. Finishing up today. Changed the red to florescent green and it look amazing!!!!!
So its black, green and white!

Now that's gonna be a hard piece to find. You gotta put up some pictures of what it looks like with the green.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.