(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 587 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by mikeflan
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7597 (resized).jpg
IMG_7595 (resized).jpg
IMG_7616 (resized).jpg
IMG_7594 (resized).jpg
IMG_7602 (resized).jpg
IMG_7615 (resized).jpg
IMG_7614 (resized).jpg
Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Playfield Parts and Rubbers Map Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #98 CPR Mirrored Backglass Posted by PinZig (4 years ago)

Post #131 Coil Stop - #6 Holes Posted by TKDalumni (4 years ago)

Post #155 Full Playfield Reference Scan - Low Resolution Posted by pavel_one (4 years ago)

Post #164 Swinks Drop Target Replacements Posted by o-din (4 years ago)

Post #173 Pantone Playfield colours Posted by A_Bord (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 1 year ago

Picked up a Stars project and going through to inventory what's missing. The good news is not much...but I'm having trouble finding a few things....

The whole left flipper assembly (aside from the bat) is missing. Can this be used as a drop in replacement?

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

I have the lock bar but no receiver. Is trying to track a used one down my only option? I have a few local guys that have extra classic bally bars and receivers which I have no issue with, but can you just swap these between classic Bally and classic Sterns?

#370 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That should work, regarding the flipper, but that is the type 2 mech vs the type 1 that would have come with it. I don't think PBL bothered making type one parts. You may wanna replace both, so they match. Up to you. I don't believe Stern/Bally bars and receivers are interchangeable.
Side note, that game is too old for your tastes. You should probably just trade it to me.

Ha hey I'm an old man at heart! Maybe I'll just replace both flipper mechs...as annoying as that is. I'll see if I can happen across a used one first.

On the lock bar situation I meant can I swap an entire bally assembly for a Stern one, so both the bar and the receiver would get flipped to a Bally. I wasn't sure if anyone had done this and the cabinet size/fit was the same...

Hope you're doing well man!

#373 1 year ago

Couldn't resist. Back at ya. Swapping the entire receiver/bar combo should work. I know folks have done that in the past. I also believe Data East will fit classic Stern since they just picked up where they left off when Gary started DE.

Thanks! Good call on the DE too that might be an option also! Bring me that TWD and maybe we'll talk ha!

#374 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I might have a version 1 plate around bit you'd still need the other parts, unless you got them in your stash

Thanks! I have a buddy with the plate but I'd still need all the other parts...which I'm seeing is kind of a pain in the ass to figure out what the right part numbers are and what a complete list is...

#376 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

The type 2 flippers are just a better design all around. Type 1 will work just fine if you rebuild them, but the plates have a tendency to break at their thinnest point, and nobody is making the bushings, so you have to slice down a type 2 with a Dremel abrasive wheel or what have you.
Stern plates also get stripped out from the impact of the plunger on the coil stop, which means having to re-tap the hole for #8 screws. 40 year old high wear parts for which brand new replacements are available? Yes to that all day long.

Thanks, this is good to know. I may have a lead on a type 1 mech, but if that falls through I may just bite the bullet and grab 2 of the replacements from PBL and swallow the $120 ha. I don't really care about keeping it original, but if I can find a good replacement cheaper I'd prefer to try that route first.

1 month later
#385 1 year ago

What pitch do people have their game set at? Mine is around 5.5 and it seems to play super fast. Not sure if that's how most play or if I need to lower it down a bit.

1 month later
#404 1 year ago

Any tips on getting the chimes to sound...chimey? My coils are all working but the chimes sound a bit dull...more of just a click or thud than a nice chime noise. How do you get these "dialed in" so they sound good?

#408 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Have you replaced the rubber isolation pieces? (I forget what they are called). The bars should be able to rattle.
I know my chimes sound bad to me, especially after playing a Gottlieb EM, but they were rebuilt, so unless I start tuning the bars, I think that’s all the better they are going to get.

Quoted from DanMarino:

They all sound bad compared to Gottlieb’s. Haha
Although I am now becoming fond of the bells Bally used on Fireball.

Ha that makes me feel a bit better...maybe this is how they should sound. My rubber pieces are pretty flat so I may try that. Should the bars have a bit of play in them or be screwed down firm?

#410 1 year ago

They should have some play.

I'll check that too...pretty sure mine are screwed down firm...could explain the "dead" sounds I'm getting.

#414 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

If they're screwed down firm, they can't resonate.

Definitely sounds better after loosening up the screws a bit. I did notice one of the rubber pieces is missing and just has a washer in its place, so I may replace that next time I need to order some parts. Big improvement though, thanks everyone!

2 months later
#427 1 year ago

Possibly a dumb question here but my credit display is outgassing pretty hard. Can you just replace this with a regular 6 digit bally/stern display? I can't seem to find the one currently in my game anywhere.

20230115_131411 (resized).jpg20230115_131411 (resized).jpg
#429 1 year ago
Quoted from ant_:

Yes, this supplement to the manual confirms it.
I’ve currently got a DA100 Rev B in mine.
[quoted image]

Awesome thank you! I have the manual but not that supplement - perfect!

2 months later
#453 1 year ago
Quoted from TateCenter:

Anybody else playfield this dirty? I have tried magic eraser with alcohol, and novus 2. Im not sure what else to try without hurting the paint.
[quoted image]

Mine looks about the same and I tried all those along with simple green and didn’t make much progress either unfortunately.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.