You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_14 (resized).png
frontier (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170308-012621 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 7 years ago

Stats 101, pinside staff take notice:
Median versus Mean
The mean is commonly known as the average = sum / number_of_items
The median is the mid-point of an ordered list of items. If the number of items is even take the average of the 2 middle ones.
Example:
The ratings for Some machine are: 7.8, 8.5, 6.9, 9.2, 9.0, 8.7, 7.0, 8.8, 7.9
average = 73.8 / 9 = 8.2
median = 8.5 (if you order the above list of 9 items 8.5 is the middle)
Now Joe Hater votes the game as 1.5
average = 7.53
median = (7.9 + 8.5) / 2 = 8.2
Instead of Joe Hater we have Joe Enthusiast vote a 10
average = 8.38
median = (8.5 + 8.7) / 2 = 8.6
The median is not nearly as susceptible to enthusiasts and haters as the average and therefore gives a more realistic rating. Outliers have a much higher tendency to affect the average but not the median.
Another example would be income. Bill Gates that makes 1 billion a year plus 1000 homeless that make nothing (= 0). On average they make about 1 million a year each, while the median being at 0 reflects more accurately the true nature of the situation.
If you have many items in your list, like 100+ votes, they tend to be very close together. In this case outliers on either end would hardly move the median when compared to the average. In the income example add Warren Buffet with another 1 billion in income. Now the average moves up to almost 2 million per year while the median is still at 0.
I think the income example best illustrates the flaws of taking the average instead of the median. So if you want to cut out the nonsense, take the median and not the average.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Rating games that have not been released, subject to feature change, and coding are not viable reviews.
Games that have been released and shipped to business and consumers are viable titles for review.
The "Mullet Crew" has much more valuable review opinions than individual numbers here, unless a reviewer actually writes words, if people even know what I am talking about here.

If I played the game I rate the game, it as simple as that. There are some games that are not finished, like CC or more recently Magic Girl. Once I play on an finished or upgraded version like CCC, I can change my rating of the game accordingly to reflect the improvements made. So far DI is a great game in the condition I played it in 11/2016 at Florida Free Play. Maybe it will be better at time of release, then I revisit my rating of the game.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

My question is: how do the ratings ultimately effect your life? Would you not buy a game with a low rating? Would you not play a game with a low rating?

How do I make a purchase decision?
I look at the rankings to see what games other people like. Then I find a show or arcade where I can play several of those well liked games plus whatever else happens to be there. Some I like, some I don't. Some are over- or underrated in my humble (but correct) opinion. I know, personal tastes vary. No biggie. Once I found some games I like I watch the market for nice examples that are reasonably priced.
I love going to pinball arcades, expos or collectors home to play a large variety of games, but in the beginning the ratings helped to give me a direction of what to look for. I would not spend $$ for a flight, hotel and show tickets to play machines that are ranked in the bottom 100.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prepare-for-chaos-in-the-top-100?tu=yoski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.