You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_14 (resized).png
frontier (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170308-012621 (resized).png

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago

Has anyone ever consulted the Pinside rating database to figure out if they should buy, or even play, a game or not?

Because if that person exists, they should be flensed.

Another Pinside popularity contest confirmed? Seems so.

#102 7 years ago

Also, how about more than six choices? Each category should be up to 10.

I used to be opposed to dumping old reviews, but maybe that is what needs to be done. If you were here 7 years ago and left, the comparisons wouldn't be right. You need active reviewers, like I tend to be, to make adjustments to have a real ranking.

It also comes down to how is the list being used. Are people adjusting the price they will spend on a pin based on ranking (the low volume pins excluded because exclusivity if more important than game play)? I truly believe dollars equals true demand. Has anyone put together a Becket guide to pinball machines?

#103 7 years ago

As mentioned above, I think the comments in the review area are very useful as you can read through pages and pages of them on some games and shitcan a lot of the bogus reviews on your own (I don't like the theme so 1.6 etc....) The ones written by people I recognize as knowing their stuff carry more weight than others. It's nice to know why people like or dislike games or why they owned it in the past but got rid of it, rather than the raw data. That reminds me, I need to add more comments to my reviews.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Has anyone ever consulted the Pinside rating database to figure out if they should buy, or even play, a game or not?

I check the ratings and written reviews along with watching videos, looking at pics and reading the club threads. I never use the ratings alone. I remember doing this with BSD and Hook as they were my most expensive purchases.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I check the ratings and written reviews along with watching videos, looking at pics and reading the club threads. I never use the ratings alone. I remember doing this with BSD and Hook as they were my most expensive purchases.

What purpose does checking the reviews serve? Does it keep you from buying and or playing a game?

I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm genuinely curious.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

What purpose does checking the reviews serve? Does it keep you from buying and or playing a game?

It's just interesting. That's all.

Why do people post in threads they have no interest in?

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

It's just interesting. That's all.
Why do people post in threads they have no interest in?

I didn't say I wasn't interested in the top 100 - thanks for misinterpreting what I said, though! 100 Pinside Boys Club tokens have been deposited to your account.

Because I've read Caucasian2Steps reviews on IPDB and they're amazing. He comes across as someone who loves pinball, not someone who wants to skew the rankings.

My question is: how do the ratings ultimately effect your life? Would you not buy a game with a low rating? Would you not play a game with a low rating?

#108 7 years ago

I don't think the ratings and reviews really mean squat, some of the most dogged out games, end up coming into favour later on and everyone's raving about them and vice versa. If you like a game, think it's fun, interesting, looks cool and just makes you happy then it's super great! Some games I hated at first, grew on me after I really figured them out. Likewise some games I LOVED at first, lost their charm very quickly. Most any pin though I like and find at least something I like about playing it, as long as it's setup to play well. Even the simplest EMs that seem to only have a few shots, can be a real challenge, and lots of fun! The charming nostalgic feeling I get when playing an older EM is priceless! And the adrenaline rush I get from playing the newer titles is just as great! Ratings and reviews really don't mean Squat to me... Pinball? Did somebody say they have Pinball? I'm in!!!

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

My question is: how do the ratings ultimately effect your life? Would you not buy a game with a low rating? Would you not play a game with a low rating?

They don't Affect anyone's lives any more than anything else on Pinside. The rankings and reviews are just a mildly interesting part of Pinside. People buy "unpopular" games all the time. I'm currently in the market for several games that in the 300+ zone, as well as several unranked EMs. That doesn't mean that the rankings have no value.

I agree, C2S is one of my favorite members of our community. He's a great person, and a very knowledgeable pinhead.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

They don't Affect anyone's lives any more than anything else on Pinside. The rankings and reviews are just a mildly interesting part of Pinside. People buy "unpopular" games all the time. I'm currently in the market for several games that in the 300+ zone, as well as several unranked EMs. That doesn't mean that the rankings have no value.

It's not that I don't think the ratings have any value, but I again, I ask: how do the ratings affect your decisions regarding game? It seems like they don't affect you much, if you're buying 300+ ranked titles.

But when you got dudes like WackyBrakke totally skewing the results just because of whatever, I wonder about the effectiveness of ratings. And if they matter. And who they matter to.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I used them extensively (along with many forum threads) when I was deciding on whether to buy my Tommy. Even in the center of the pinball universe (Chicago) there aren't any Tommys on location and I had never played one. After reading reviews, threads, watching videos, I knew that it was a good match for me so I pulled the trigger and I love the game.

Edit to add that I used the comments in the reviews, not the data.

#112 7 years ago

@chisox, that seems legit. You have humbled me. I should be the one flensed.

#113 7 years ago

I agree with Chisox. They might help people determine whether to consider a game they've never had a chance to play.

Further, I think it's interesting to "crowd-source" the general consensus view about a game. OBVIOUSLY, it's not perfect. I think they would be much more valuable if Robin would consider a significant update to the system, as I have outlined above.

#114 7 years ago

Well shit, @russell. Wanna make out?

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You and I both know the CC lightshow is not fit to even sniff the jock strap of the WOZ or STLE lightshow.

That's my point of disagreement exactly...because am not impressed with Woz's super bright colorful undulating light show. Because, it's funny you mentioned it, I've been on the record forever that I bought MET over ST because ST lights are obnoxiously bright (And I buy LEDs I'm not that old they hurt my eyes). Or to put it further in context, I wouldn't rate the light show in AFM the best back then just because it had a "new" strobe light flashing at me.

True, We're just talking lights and I'm not impressed that much by lights, but at this point if you ask me whether Hobbit "animations" look better than than W?D I would totally agree, amazing. If you asked me aboot BM66 or Aerosmith I'd take W?D

EDIT: Shit I typed out half a cargument for a second

I just think it's a little rude to act like "the olden days" folks of a year ago walked with the dinosaurs.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Well shit, russell. Wanna make out?

I'll have to check out your "make-out" reviews first.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'll have to check out your "make-out" reviews first.

7/10 "kind of slobbery"

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

7/10 "kind of slobbery"

Now THAT's funny.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

You have to take them lightly ... I look at the top 50 rated games and go play the ones I rarely get to play more often at the annual VFW show to try to figure out why people like them and wonder what I'm missing. Some ratings I agree with, some I don't. We all have different tastes and interests and that's good. Not all people will be honest with their ratings and you can sometimes pick those people out.

If you look at the people's ratings that rate games low that you rate high, you may see that they have totally different interests or only like EM pins. The people that rank games similar to the pins I like have more value to me. I don't use ratings to base game purchases on - I must play the game first before I buy, but ratings could steer me to try specific pins.

Just how I use the ratings ...

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not that I'm bothered by this Hilton, but your Tron LE ratings over the years have been extremely fascinating to me. When it hit number one you down voted it to the 2's. Then when you were selling one a couple years later you upvoted it into the 9's. Now you have it back low again.
Did you really love the game for the few months you moved it into the 9's or was that just because you were selling one and didn't want to explain your low rating to potential buyers (which is reasonable)? Again, I don't care really where you rate games (do as you like) but I do see some humor in your ranking patterns.

Hilarious!!!

The guy has just proven over and over again that he has zero credibility.

The purge can't come soon enough.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's my point of disagreement exactly...because am not impressed with Woz's super bright colorful undulating light show.

Great. At least you currently exist and can see the differences in the machines and make your own subjective opinion on it.

The former Pinsider who hasn't logged in here since 2009 doesn't have the advantage of seeing WOZ at all and determining, like you have, that the lightshow of WOZ is inferior to CC.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hilarious!!!
The guy has just proven over and over again that he has zero credibility.
The purge can't come soon enough.

How is this personal attack allowed? Are they purging the guy having a civil convo about pinball ratings or the one that constantly berates and personal attacks?

Aside from that,i don't see anything of the sort in the threads referenced by tiger?

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Which reminds me, I need to adjust my ratings. I now like TAF more than XMen and Tron, it's become my favorite game.

Selling my HUO TAF is currently the sale I regret the most.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

How is this personal attack allowed?

It was a joke big guy.

I mean the part about the purge.

The credibility part is something that I will stand by 100%.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Quoted from Cornelius:

chisox, that seems legit. You have humbled me. I should be the one flensed.

You seem to understand now but I will add it also helps me with a price range of what I will give.

At the same time I bought BSD I had the chance to buy a Spring Break for $800 from the same guy. Based on reviews and discussions I decided that was too much for the condition and talked him down to $600.

All of these different opinions helped to shape my desire to buy a game even if it's not on my radar. They don't really inform me on whether I'll play a game on location because I'll try anything. I spent 10 bucks playing a Stern Kiss the other day and had a decent time despite the bad rep it has. But before spending big money to own a game I'd like some others' opinions before pulling the trigger if it isn't a smokin' deal like my $60 Super Spin.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Off topic but the club threads are worth their weight in gold if you're researching a new (to you) machine. Once you weed through the "this is the greatest machine ever, I'm never getting rid of it" posts, you can really get a lot of insight in the game, especially areas needing maintenance and prone to breaking when checking a game out.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Great. At least you currently exist and can see the differences in the machines and make your own subjective opinion on it.

Well if you just want to say, dump those ratings because only current pinsiders should be allowed to vote , that's at least little more honest and I could understand that completely. You're whole garbage argument aboot knowing better than old timers is self indulgent tripe IMO. I might argue with all the noobs and cash involved in selling , flipping, man caving, modding, building fake games, getting ripped off, these days that I don't know if this modern group is more knowledgeable. But yeah it's all debatable

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well if you just want to say, dump those ratings because only current pinsiders should be allowed to vote , that's at least little more honest and I could understand that completely. You're whole garbage argument aboot knowing better than old timers is self indulgent tripe IMO. I might argue with all the noobs and cash involved in selling , flipping, man caving, modding, building fake games, getting ripped off, these days that I don't know if this modern group is more knowledgeable. But yeah it's all debatable

Based on your response I don't think you understand my point, or you're attempting to make a straw man arguement of some kind.

Regarding the straw man arguement: The old timers in this hobby are awesome and the ones participating here add tremendous value (guys such as LTG, Vid, BlackKnight, etc.).

This isn't an old blood vs new blood arguement; this is a they exist vs they don't exist arguement. If someone hasn't logged on since 2009 they effectively no longer exist here. They are gone - they have left the hobby or at least left Pinside. Back in 2009 they didn't have all the current games to consider when they compiled their personal rankings yet their personal rankings impact the Top 100 as it sits today. Why should ghosts from the past that made ratings in the darkest days of pinball (before the renaissance we see today) get to skew the current Top 100?

Additionally, many people over the years created accounts simply to rank games (some rankings are very close in the Top 100 and one or two new manifpulated rankings can move a game up or down). These false rankings from pseudo accounts accumulated over years. When you dispose of the legacy votes all those old manipulated votes are cast into the void and you get a Top 100 that is reflective of what people here today and now enjoy.

#129 7 years ago

I don't know if anything can be done about the way some guys vote up their favorites and vote down their most hateds. True, a fair person rating lots of games should wind up with a bell curve with most of their ratings near the middle, while the up and down voters have upside down bell curves! But they may have valid reasons for voting that way, they rate the games they are passionate about, they don't have time to rate all the "meh" games, etc.

Still, old ratings with no commentaries and no logins in so long? Flush 'em!

With actual commentaries -- email them, warn them if they don't log on... Let everyone know we are looking to freshen up the ratings, perhaps they'd like to revise their older ratings by also comparing them to pins that didn't exist then, and like that.

Since average is actually 7.5ish, just round any rating below 5 up to 5, that'll "normalize" the numbers although I am not a statistician and have no idea if that's what that means.

Finally, add some sort of "confidence factor" where newer games with barely enough ratings to count get a slight hit. 15 votes on one game should not outweigh hundreds on another.

I would lurve to see the resultant ratings.

#130 7 years ago

Here's what you could do:

After a set period of time from its creation (a year?), a particular user's rating on a game will go stale. Stale ratings are still visible and can still count in some polls/functions, but they can also be eliminated from other polls/functions. People can look at both sets of results when browsing ratings. The 'main' top 100 could exclude stale ratings.

To remove a 'stale' attribute from their ratings, the user must simply review the rating, possibly updating things if their feelings have changed, then click a button to signal the rating is good to go. The stale attribute is removed. This both eliminates inactive users from the main top 100 polls, but it also encourages users to keep their ratings reflective of their current opinion. I know several of my ratings have changed a bit over the years. If nothing has changed, at least they have to look it over once in a while.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I thought everyone decided the ratings don't matter. Now everyone's calling out others for their tens and ones. It seems petty and stupid.

Yes but the binary voters are what makes the ratings pointless.
The worst game I have ever played is Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash but it would still average about a 3 if I rated it.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I truly believe dollars equals true demand.

If this was the case MG should be #1 on "Top 100" based on hype right now, even though the game is hot mess and does not work. This simply does not work to offset any rating system.

A person cannot rate or provide an assesment of the quality of games based on "monetary value", nor base demand exclusively on market trends. There are many extremely good games that just not well known. Sometimes value can be indication of very little in either direction.

If you said the words "TX Sector" 10 years ago, people said "What?", not to mention not knowing who designed the game in the first place.

Speaking of MG, I have had the chance to correctly play it now, and I need to formally rate the game. The endstate is not highly encouraging.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Back in 2009 they didn't have all the current games to consider when they compiled their personal rankings yet their personal rankings impact the Top 100 as it sits today. Why should ghosts from the past that made ratings in the darkest days of pinball (before the renaissance we see today) get to skew the current Top 100?

As I said I totally understand them not being here now, get that, cut them out.
I think we're just going to agree to disagree and that's cool but I'll try to explain myself just a bit better.
What I think the biggest issue is, other than losers making just dumb/fake ratings (which to me is by FAR the worst), is how people determine their own ratings are not like one another.
I personally don't rank game against game when I make a review. So

Quoted from TigerLaw:

You and I both know the CC lightshow is not fit to even sniff the jock strap of the WOZ or STLE lightshow.

I would never think of Woz's light show when ranking CCs light show, I wouldn't put them on list as Woz is a 10 so this game could only be a 6 so to speak. That's the implication I got from you there but I could be wrong.
Anyway I don't know, not a big deal either way, the rankings aren't going to change anytime anyway Unless all this purge talk is a sneak attack on the real enemy, rankings.

EDIT: I do like the "dark days" of pinball were right before you came to Pinside

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My biggest gripe with the ratings are the legacy votes. I've stated my peace on this issue a few times in the past, but I'll go through it again.
Votes from people who have not logged into their Pinside account in a year should be removed. These legacy votes from the past are not indicative of our current Pinside population.
Many were cast in an era before there were RGB lighting, LCD screens, and other modern upgrades to pinball. These votes from Pinside's past were cast when there was no Tron LE, Metallica, WOZ, and the rest of modern pinball.
I'm not saying we get rid of old votes, but if the person has not logged on in a year at all then we get rid of their votes. This would have the added benefit of destroying all the votes cast by shill and duplicate accounts of the past that shouldn't have counted anyway but slipped in during an era when we were not monitoring for dupes so strongly.
In any event, I've lobbied for this change for years now. It would improve the voting system and make it current to our actual existing population. We could keep all the votes cast all time in separate section in the top 100 but it should not be the first section that pops up when one clicks the top 100 - just my personal opinion.

A person's opinion of Whitewater or TAF shouldn't change just because WOZ came out. That's ridiculous and I sincerely hope you really aren't campaigning to make that change. And cancelling out votes for people who have been inactive for a year? Jeezuz, the top 100 would be dominated by people who have no experience with older games. The list is bad enough as it is, that would make it even more slanted to modern games and B/W than it already is. I mean Clay rarely posts here and is prob inactive but I would take his assessments of what is a good game before some newb who just bought a Ghostbusters Pro and loves it.

I do think there should be sorting options and the list should be much more dynamic. This would allow people to get rid of scores 2 and under, search different eras, remove people with low scores on certain games, etc.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

If you have never played a game but have heard a lot of good things and want one YouTube and reviews may be all you have

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Rating games that have not been released, subject to feature change, and coding are not viable reviews.
Games that have been released and shipped to business and consumers are viable titles for review.
The "Mullet Crew" has much more valuable review opinions than individual numbers here, unless a reviewer actually writes words, if people even know what I am talking about here.

If I played the game I rate the game, it as simple as that. There are some games that are not finished, like CC or more recently Magic Girl. Once I play on an finished or upgraded version like CCC, I can change my rating of the game accordingly to reflect the improvements made. So far DI is a great game in the condition I played it in 11/2016 at Florida Free Play. Maybe it will be better at time of release, then I revisit my rating of the game.

#137 7 years ago

Just wanted to point out, that in reference to the oringinal post that chaos would ensue since DI got its 15th rating...

I have not seen the chaos yet

33rd now, with the typical post rating down voters that have not even played the game yet. Aside from that it seems pretty par for the course on trajectory.

What rank was it when it first came in?

#138 7 years ago

When you do your rankings, do you rank the individual categories (sound, art, rules, etc.) and leave the result alone, or do you go back and adjust the individual ranks to make the final number "make sense" relative to your other rankings?

I definitely do the latter, but I think this is indicative of a very flawed system.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

How do I make a purchase decision?
I look at the rankings to see what games other people like. Then I find a show or arcade where I can play several of those well liked games plus whatever else happens to be there. Some I like, some I don't. Some are over- or underrated in my humble (but correct) opinion. I know, personal tastes vary. No biggie. Once I found some games I like I watch the market for nice examples that are reasonably priced.
I love going to pinball arcades, expos or collectors home to play a large variety of games, but in the beginning the ratings helped to give me a direction of what to look for. I would not spend $$ for a flight, hotel and show tickets to play machines that are ranked in the bottom 100.

#140 7 years ago

Would this be a good place to request people stop reviewing games based on virtual pinball or the Pinball Arcade app? I appreciate both and they have their place, but I'm surprised by how many people mention in the comments section that their review is based on a non-mechanical version of the game.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just wanted to point out, that in reference to the oringinal post that chaos would ensue since DI got its 15th rating...
I have not seen the chaos yet

JJP fans like to think themselves the victim when more times then not it is them that is

Screenshot_14 (resized).pngScreenshot_14 (resized).png

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

When you do your rankings, do you rank the individual categories (sound, art, rules, etc.) and leave the result alone, or do you go back and adjust the individual ranks to make the final number "make sense" relative to your other rankings?
I definitely do the latter, but I think this is indicative of a very flawed system.

I do the start and then tweak the latter. I really rank just for myself. I like to keep a list of games I have played and look at them over time.
TBT this ranking conversation comes up every few months for years now and nothing has ever been done to change it or provide any other options so I doubt it ever will.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I do the start and then tweak the latter. I really rank just for myself. I like to keep a list of games I have played and look at them over time.
TBT this ranking conversation comes up every few months for years now and nothing has ever been done to change it or provide any other options so I doubt it ever will.

...which is why RGP is the choice of yesteryear and Pinside may be the choice of the past 10 years from now. Someone will build a better forum and people will slowly migrate there until it reaches a tipping point.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree. Unfortunately, people have generally decided that this is just a waste of time rather than a potentially fun part of Pinside.

I wish Robin would make some big changes with this system.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

...which is why RGP is the choice of yesteryear and Pinside may be the choice of the past 10 years from now. Someone will build a better forum and people will slowly migrate there until it reaches a tipping point.

Perhaps. 10 years is an eternity.

Generally, Robin has done a great job with the website and forum. He just needs to avoid complacency and keep improving things. This rankings thing is a good example.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I do the former. I like being surprised at where a game falls after I rank all of the individual parts.

The system allows you to adjust the parts you feel are important to you personally. I don't how it could get any better with that kind of customization.

I have some games rated pretty low like GOT because art is important to me even though the game plays well enough.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Someone will build a better forum and people will slowly migrate there until it reaches a tipping point.

That would take a very long time. I lived through a forum split and it just ends up everyone posting 2 times on both sites... Rough times

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

I would not spend $$ for a flight, hotel and show tickets to play machines that are ranked in the bottom 100.

Really? Looking at the pins from 300 - 369, there are a lot of gems in that list: Viper Night Drivin', Spy Hunter, Gold Wings, Lost In Space, Cybernaut... AND MY BELOVED MONTE CARLO AT 364 WHO WRITES THIS SH!T????!!!?!

#149 7 years ago

I don't know if there's any way to make the top 100 meaningful. I know I personally really try to be objective and play a machine enough to feel like I know it before I go and rate it, and I don't even agree with my own personal top list. I know changing my weighting might result in a more accurate list for me so maybe I should do that, but still when I don't even agree with my own list, there's no chance I'm going to find the overall list all that meaningful.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Would this be a good place to request people stop reviewing games based on virtual pinball or the Pinball Arcade app? I appreciate both and they have their place, but I'm surprised by how many people mention in the comments section that their review is based on a non-mechanical version of the game.

That was exactly one of my points, it is just another means of propagating nonsense.
This is not a virtual pinball website or a forum dedicated to video games.
There are other locations for this information.
Farsight Studios recreations are many times not accurate to the original games, even though the developer states otherwise.
Sometimes corners are cut, even if the corners are hard to spot.
Non owners and people that never played the actual games cannot distinguish differences.

I will just give an example from one game:

The EM Fireball version of Pinball Arcade mechanics activation functionality of the "free ball gate" is completely wrong.
The "whirlwind" spinner action is wrong in terms of speed and action mostly out of the surface friction coefficient not being accurate.
The sounds are not chimes in this game, they are two tone actual bells, neither which is correct.
Scoring on the simulation does not sound like this on the real EM game.
The zipper flippers are way overpowered.
The score reels numbers are wrong in font and size.
There are scoring errors based on the switches.

Most of the noted differences from memory are not aesthetics, they are gameplay related.
These are just few things off my memory, as there are most likely many more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prepare-for-chaos-in-the-top-100/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.