(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr-pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 2 years ago

I dont think it´s a bubble but it probably needs a downward adjustment.
    New games need to drop 20% and old games 40%.

#210 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Looks like remakes are going from $13-19K...Are originals really going for more than $20K?????

This just means more are interested in the hobby and that companies need to produce more product.
    It´s a good thing and prices will adjust downwards when companies realises they leave lots of money on the table.

1 year later
    #456 10 months ago

I think jjp will have to change strategy if they want to survive.
    They have gone from underpriced stacked widebodies, to overpriced barren standard games in a couple of years.
    Maybe it would have worked if their aim was to sell a couple of hundred ce´s of every new game, but arent they intended on expanding?

Stern is currently overpriced ikea pinball, but they manage for now, since they have the best gameplay designers. Booth godzilla and foo fighters are really fun playing experiences and jurassic park is easily one of the best games ever, even though assets where very poor.
    I cant help feeling with stern that the quality and the spike system will come to haunt buyers in the long run.

I think prices will stagnate, and in the light of a really hefty inflation that is obviously a drop.

1 week later
    #539 10 months ago

Had a couple of colleagues over recently. One or two of them are a bit curious about getting machines for social areas.

It's a hard sell when you explain that you can choose to get a pool table+airhockey table+large multicade+two gaming rigs with wheels etc for head to head racing+home cinema equipment OR one pinball game.

The fact is pinball isnt competetive at current prices.

When i look at a new gf ce the price is puzzling. It costs as a small car. The electronics is probably on par with the windscreen viper electronic and the rest of materials is probably on par with the bonnet of the car.

What is wrong with pinball manufacturing?
    If ikea (stern furniture) made pinball machines a stern premium would cost 3200 dollar, with the option to assemble it yourself, and then it would cost 2500 dollar.

The lack of efficient manufacturing (or greed) is also visible when new companies can make games at same or even lower prices built in a garage.

2 weeks later
    #717 9 months ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I disagree completely. Try to sell a pin lately? For most titles it's crickets. Besides a select few titles you have to bargain price it and then some to effect a sale. Many are just opting to keep their pin in leiu of giving it away, as many titles are already down thousands year-over-year. This means all these pin manufacturers are F'd. My guess is sales will be down at least 25% over the next 12 months, if not 30%-40%. Surely there are really rich dudes in the hobby not impacted by recession, and not flinching at ludicrous price hikes, who will keep buying on theme. But Average Joe pinhead is finding out he can no longer resell his pins for at or near (or over during COVID) what he paid, so he can no longer afford to keep buying new pins. Losing thousands at reseale per title is not an option for him. Buying new pins by reselling and chipping in little-to-nothing was a HUGE part of the market. That is gone now. Speculators are gone as well. Values held during the last recession because pins were still scarce, only one company was making them, and they cost <$5k. This time the market is absolutely flooded with pinball companies and overpriced new pins. There may be a couple major dream themes in the pipeline that will still sell through, with broke dudes FOMO-ing so hard they put it on their credit card, but volume will be way down on everything else. Things are going to get interesting real quick.

Completely agree.
    The risk is that they will decide it's more beneficial with shorter run/more titles, then actually adjusting prices.
    Jjp seems commited on this path, i'm not sure on stern with their production facilities.
    Sad if it happens. Faberge pinball.

#718 9 months ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

from your fingers to God's ears. Personally think nothing would be better for the hobby than to get all the flippers, speculators, and investors out. The only folks who should be buying pins are Routers, Hobbyists, and Rich Dudes like Smaug the Dragon. And the heart of the market should be used machines at reasonable prices; pins being bought, sold, and traded at value between friends who all love the actual game of pinball. sigh. wouldn't that be loverly?
    but seriously, my question/fear is that even with a collapse in NIB sales and a slight downward pressure on newer Sterns, etc, will it affect the old classics? Can't say I've noticed much drop in those prices yet.

I think many hobbyist is priced out atm, atleast here in sweden with currency dropping and vat at 25%.

A godfather ce is a years sallary for a nurse here. (Or atleast not far from).

You get very little bang for your amusement buck buying pinball machines.

#768 9 months ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

How many spike2 machines built? Figure Stern ships 40pins a day on average (substitute your own number if you disagree with that one). Spike2 has been around for 7 years with 21 titles.
    40 x 7yrs x 365days = That is roughly 102k spike2 pins manufactured is my guess.

Isnt it so that some boards are unique to specific games?

4 months later
    #925 5 months ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

There’s no such thing as price gouging on a luxury good/non-necessity.
    Selling gasoline/water/food at highly inflated prices during natural disasters or other crises is price gouging.
    The only thing that controls the price Stern charges, is what the market is willing to bear. Their business model, along with every for profit business, is to maximize profits. It’s basic economics/business.

I would agree, if there was unlimited availability.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr-pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again?tu=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.