(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.
    #151 8 years ago

4 years later, prices are pretty similar to what they were. NIB have gone up, used games have stayed pretty steady. Certainly no bubble popping. MM took a slight hit from the remake but even that wasn't a bubble.

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

MM took a slight hit from the remake but even that wasn't a bubble.

Prices ran up for years, then fell overnight to back under $10k which in retrospect looks like a better valuation than the $12-15k prices being fetched, with or without MMr. If MM wasn't a bubble, I'm not sure what is.

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

MM took a slight hit from the remake but even that wasn't a bubble.

Owners of nice/restored MMs might disagree about the hit being "slight." This guy had way over 100 thumbs down at the time:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-thoughts-on-the-mm-announcement

5 years later
    #154 2 years ago

Ten years on and how we doing?

Five years ago is looking like a pretty good time to stock up on games eh?

#155 2 years ago

Still waiting for that bubble to burst…

This thread does provide a nice time capsule on pricing, which I’m hoping the dedicated pricing thread will also do:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread

#156 2 years ago

The only bubble more resilient than the pinball price bubble is the pinball price bubble thread bubble.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only bubble more resilient than the pinball price bubble is the pinball price bubble thread bubble.

And, despite your efforts, I have my doubts about that bubble ever bursting either!

#158 2 years ago

A guy from Facebook came by today to buy my Cactus Canyon. He said he's bought 40 Bally/Williams games since entering the hobby last October.

This bubble just doesn't seem to be on the burstin' path when there's new people like that coming in every day.

#159 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This bubble just doesn't seem to be on the burstin' path when there's new people like that coming in every day.

Well, all those millennial bitcoin millionaires gotta do something with all that cash!

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well, all those millennial bitcoin millionaires gotta do something with all that cash!

This guy was well into his 50s!

Pinball fever is just infectious!!!

#161 2 years ago

The pinball bubble is the most elastic of them all, apparently.

#162 2 years ago

I still have that Superman comic. Bought it on QVC when I was a boy. Willing to trade for a WH20.

#163 2 years ago

Pinball is a rich man's hobby! Those guys' bubbles don't burst as easy lol.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from Norcalpin:

Pinball is a rich man's hobby! Those guys' bubbles don't burst as easy lol.

“Rich” is relative but I meet a lot of people in the hobby buying high priced games and many are far from what most would consider rich. More and more 30’s and 40’s with “middle-class” jobs.

I don’t think pinball is in a bubble but wouldn’t be surprised with a temporary drop for many titles from the current exuberance if the economy turns south and some start to question if pinball is a sure thing. Especially mediocre titles caught in the current run up.

The larger picture is all about the rate of new hobbyists vs. relatively fixed supply. If the number continues to grow exponentially, prices will keep going up until there is a fundamental change in supply.

2 weeks later
    #165 2 years ago

Funny this thread was recently resurrected as I've been colleting for >10 years (on here forand since my first pin I heard people saying "the sky is falling!"....never did and people have been saying it for literally decades now.

I am curious how prices of MM and MB have fared with the remakes...Did the "originals" hold their value like their owners said they would?

#166 2 years ago

I think the prices of the original MM and MB have dropped a lot since the remakes but have slowly been gaining in value again and will eventually and always will be worth more the reproductions. Same goes with probably just about anything that gets reproduced. Always buy the original.

John

#167 2 years ago

I just sold a Shadow for $7000 (half paid now, half being paid once Beltmann gets here).

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttyyyyy sure my AFM would go for more than that. Which means the remakes haven't done jackshit to the prices to those who REALLY want an original.

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Funny this thread was recently resurrected as I've been colleting for >10 years (on here forand since my first pin I heard people saying "the sky is falling!"....never did and people have been saying it for literally decades now.
    I am curious how prices of MM and MB have fared with the remakes...Did the "originals" hold their value like their owners said they would?

At first, the price of the originals plummeted when the remakes were announced and in full production. Once production slowed, the originals have now crept back up, but an original mm and mb I don’t think are anywhere near where they were pre-remake, which if I recall, was north of $12k, though maybe that’s changed in this crazy market. Afm original never really commanded a high price relative to mm and mb and could always be found in the $6-7k range, though they have gone up recently like everything else.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I just sold a Shadow for $7000 (half paid now, half being paid once Beltmann gets here).
    Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttyyyyy sure my AFM would go for more than that. Which means the remakes haven't done jackshit to the prices to those who REALLY want an original.

That’s a pretty insane price for a shadow, good for you for getting it.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Do they need a second one?

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I think the prices of the original MM and MB have dropped a lot since the remakes but have slowly been gaining in value again and will eventually and always will be worth more the reproductions. Same goes with probably just about anything that gets reproduced. Always buy the original.
    John

Looks like remakes are going from $13-19K...Are originals really going for more than $20K?????

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A guy from Facebook came by today to buy my Cactus Canyon. He said he's bought 40 Bally/Williams games since entering the hobby last October.

I’m that guy. I stopped and bought two more in Ohio ( o fear hurricane) on the way home from your place. Finally found an original MM so I’m just about done.

I’m not buying for personal use. I’ve got a coin op license and these pins get rotated through my restaurant (19 on the floor at a time) so I’ve accumulated enough rotation depth at this point.

Pins are something no bar in my area is doing so I saw pins as a post pandemic opportunity to differentiate my business from competitors. The pins have been very well received and the overwhelming majority of our players are either new (children/teens) or haven’t seen a pinball machine in along time.

Needless to say, there’s constantly switch not hit credit dots on my pins
    8C2FD900-0DA4-4E6B-900D-BC1512A527FD (resized).jpeg8C2FD900-0DA4-4E6B-900D-BC1512A527FD (resized).jpegF9F7836D-C53D-4A90-B77A-D59B7BD80AD3 (resized).jpegF9F7836D-C53D-4A90-B77A-D59B7BD80AD3 (resized).jpeg
    9EA58E87-9947-425E-8CB3-3D8C818CBBC3 (resized).jpeg9EA58E87-9947-425E-8CB3-3D8C818CBBC3 (resized).jpeg

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’m that guy. I stopped and bought two more in Ohio ( o fear hurricane) on the way home from your place. Finally found an original MM so I’m just about done.
    I’m not buying for personal use. I’ve got a coin op license and these pins get rotated through my restaurant (19 on the floor at a time) so I’ve accumulated enough rotation depth at this point.
    Pins are something no bar in my area is doing so I saw pins as a post pandemic opportunity to differentiate my business from competitors. The pins have been very well received and the overwhelming majority of our players are either new (children/teens) or haven’t seen a pinball machine in along time.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Curious if the original MM was over $20K?

#174 2 years ago

Curious if the original MM was over $20K?

$11 Playfield was in really good shape beneath all the dirt.

#175 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

And you aren't worried about the impending immediate pinball bubble bursting that everybody has been predicting for 20 years?!

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And you aren't worried about the impending immediate pinball bubble bursting that everybody has been predicting for 20 years?!

There's a bubble? I haven't seen it mentioned here before...

#177 2 years ago

The only way there is an appreciable bubble is a severe recession. I think you may see a bit of a small correction in pricing the next 6-12 months, as the free COVID monies were used by people for lots of things other than to pay mortgages, buy groceries, etc. And I think some of the newbies that jumped in are going to find that pinball machines often break and need repair, which will be above their skill level and patience, so they will sell at a small loss.

But for the most part, pins (and arcades) have proven to be a better investment than stock over the last 2-5 years.

#179 2 years ago

Main thing I learned from this thread is that there's someplace I absolutely need to hit on my next trip to the St. Louis area.

Well done, sir!

Later,
    EV

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Things are silly is all I know

People were saying that in 2002 when MM was going for $4500.

I guess what I'm saying is, one day it may please us to remember even this.

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People were saying that in 2002 when MM was going for $4500.

jeez, I hope not

#182 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

But for the most part, pins (and arcades) have proven to be a better investment than stock over the last 2-5 years.

I think a dollar invested in the S&P 5-years ago would be worth about $2.50 today with dividends reinvested. So pinball has done well but not that well - unless you add in all the fun, then it wins by a mile.

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

New York Dolls, baby!

#184 2 years ago

$11 Playfield was in really good shape beneath all the dirt.

So much for "originals" always holding their value more than remakes I guess.

#186 2 years ago

So much for "originals" always holding their value more than remakes I guess.

You cant compare that way. I picked up a heavily routed MM that never tested the market. I bought it as is as it sat (half the bulbs burned out, playfield so dirty around the pops you cant even see the artwork.

#187 2 years ago

Has there ever been a scientific study on what exactly creates a Pinhead ?Is there solid proof out there of anyone taking a “break” from it ? Just asking for a friend .

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Has there ever been a scientific study on what exactly creates a Pinhead ?Is there solid proof out there of anyone taking a “break” from it ? Just asking for a friend .

Last I heard, a pinhead is created from curiosity. Once you become one, there is no coming back.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #189 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Last I heard, a pinhead is created from curiosity. Once you become one, there is no coming back.[quoted image]

Thanks ,my friend is terrified.

#190 2 years ago

I'd love to go back to "prebubble" pricing.

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'd love to go back to "prebubble" pricing.

Yes you and 100,000 other people.

That’s why it won’t happen.

Everybody seems to have this erotic fantasy that the bubble will implode violently and they will be the only person on the planet left who wants pinball machines, and they’ll swoop in and build an A list collection for $3000.

It just doesn’t work that way.

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

And I think some of the newbies that jumped in are going to find that pinball machines often break and need repair, which will be above their skill level and patience, so they will sell at a small loss.

Yeah but there's probably a lot of them that can afford to just call a technician to fix there game.

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Things are silly is all I know

Says the guy with the Mike Lindell profile pic, lol!

#194 2 years ago

Yet there are some tables out there that seem to be immune. STNG can be had for less than 6k. $5,500 for many years now.

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from DJK77:

Yet there are some tables out there that seem to be immune. STNG can be had for less than 6k. $5,500 for many years now.

Immune to what?

Not so long ago that game was $2500 or less.

Anyway, don't worry, it's just a bubble. And if you think it can't bust...THINK AGAIN!!!!

#196 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Says the guy with the Mike Lindell profile pic, lol!

You got a problem with me?

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Immune to what?
    Not so long ago that game was $2500 or less.
    Anyway, don't worry, it's just a bubble. And if you think it can't bust...THINK AGAIN!!!!

Immune to more recent pinflation. Becoming a good value at this time. Bubble can burst but it would be slow more like landing a hot air balloon.

#198 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You got a problem with me?

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks the guy in your profile pic sucks, I’ll just leave it at that.

#199 2 years ago

grumble grumble toil and trouble
    who will burst this pinball bubble

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks the guy in your profile pic sucks, I’ll just leave it at that.

That guy's awesome. A pillow scammer somehow connected through Trump. You couldn't write this shit. Thanks to all Americans. Your system produces pure entertainment.

There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.