Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Petition for Stern Pinball to move QR reader from apron to coin door”

• Yes-I petition Stern to move the QR reader to the coin door location or provide a kit to do so 48 votes
      18%
    • No-the QR reader does not bother me and I prefer it be kept on the apron location 95 votes
      36%
    • Prefer to have QR reader provided as a kit that can be installed in either location or left off 49 votes
      19%
    • I like Pizza 70 votes
      27%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

qr sideways (resized).jpg
    qr coindoor (resized).jpg
    qr kit (resized).jpg
    Stoner Bro (resized).jpg
    hear the chatter.gif
    calling bs (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    QR reader example (resized).jpg
    PinGulp (resized).jpg
    CupFone XL (resized).jpg
    aprongate2 (resized).jpg
    aprongate (resized).jpg
    Pizza!.gif
    I like pizza.gif
    Rolling eyes gif.gif
    BA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpeg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

'Hey just ditch the baloney qr light and slap a qr sticker on it!'

Another thought-sounds like operators want it on apron for visibility-ok. It also sounds like operators like it for the ability to advertise certain features or advantages to lure more patrons-ok. Go to Joe Blow's Crab Shack and buy one game and get one free-cool. So why not give people the option to just buy the qr kit seperatly? Because they want to force the program to increase number of patrons? Not cool

Seems like if operators or some home owners want it-they can purchase it themselves? Well Stern did not invest all this time and money to blah blah blah

#152 2 years ago

The first four connect kits I added (three door, one apron). I ended up adding 5 more after I took that pic. Six on the coin door, three aprons. 100% don't care where they are but finding a premium kit was much easier than the apron pro kit, so on the doors they went. EHoH, DP, and JP (switched from door later on) got the apron install. The light on the apron does not bother me at all (especially on Godzilla Prem)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#153 2 years ago

(I'll preface this as this is just a joke). Would the IR reader in the coin door make anyone worried about testicular cancer?

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Would the IR reader in the coin door make anyone worried about testicular cancer?

No but Stern will need to provide a giant yellow warning sticker about the possibility of a seizure or health problems due to blue light coming from qr reader(actually is a proven science).

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Did Stern launch the reader to try and sell units for profitability and ruin the classic look of pinball?

I can't stop thinking about this. Do we really need the qr reader? Why can't we just use a qr sticker-can someone answer this question?

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Why can't we just use a qr sticker-can someone answer this question?

Sounds like a new poll answer is needed...

Should Stern do away with the phony annoying qr reader that ruins the classic look of pinball and just use a simple qr sticker for people to log into insider connect platform?

I think I would change my vote from providing a kit and giving the option to just having a sticker to apply if you choose to do so? Is this possible and was it possible all along?

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I can't stop thinking about this. Do we really need the qr reader? Why can't we just use a qr sticker-can someone answer this question?

Because even though it may be hard to believe, not everyone has a smartphone. In fact, there are 2 people in my local crew who don't and they still use the scanner. They both have print outs of their codes they carry with them.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

not everyone has a smartphone

Sorry dude but this was meant for people with smart phones-I laugh at someone that would carry a qr code(have one tattooed) on them.

The only person I know without a cell phone is O-din(and he is special )

calling bs (resized).jpgcalling bs (resized).jpg
    #159 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry dude but this was meant for people with smart phones-I laugh at someone that would carry a qr code(have one tattooed) on them.
    The only person I know without a cell phone is O-din(and he is special )
    [quoted image]

And Stern is laughing at your dumb thread.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

And Stern is laughing at your dumb thread

Not so-I can hear the Chatter!

hear the chatter.gifhear the chatter.gif
    #161 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

And Stern is laughing at your dumb thread.

Well, there's no way Stern is going to move the camera to the coin door... there are too many operators out there using bill acceptors or cashless card reader systems that are already using that real estate.

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Well, there's no way Stern is going to move the camera to the coin door

They do not need to move anything

What they NEED to do is offer it as an OPTION

I have confidence that Stern can somehow bamboozle people into a fake program of some kind or just provide a sticker in order to justify their concept and get some ROI back in other ways?

Did I mention-you are a genius yet?

#163 2 years ago

If it's the light that is bothering you, try the scanner without it. Not sure how easy it is to disable, but there's a pin on location near me with the light out and the scanner still works. Not a super bright location either.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

If it's the light that is bothering you,

It is not just the light-it does not belong on the pf. Ruins aesthetics

Asking a friend what they thought about this-their reply was why would someone want that on the apron and sometimes things need to be left alone. Do I want the coin slot removed-absolutely not-that is part of pinball to me(also good luck trying to sell a game without a coin slot-they are worthless). For awhile I was anti-pop bumpers(especially in back of playfield where they do nothing). Now if placed properly-pop bumpers are part of the classic pinball design. I am passionate about getting this crap off the pf because I feel it does not belong. Not that I am against change-but I want it to be a positive change not a negative. If we do not make a stand or speak up now-I am going to have to figure out how to create my own vinyl art on the apron for all future games? It honestly makes me hesitant to want to buy a new game with this crap on it. Starting to look towards the classics again.

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I was thinking where could it be placed other than apron or coindoor where you would not see the light(you could turn slightly sideways)-cup holder or sides of legs?

Guys, it is not. that. bright. I hate distracting light sources, play my GZ all the time, and I literally never notice it. Like, it's hard for me to even imagine/recall what it looks like on the apron. I'm completely oblivious to it.

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

It honestly makes me hesitant to want to buy a new game with this crap on it. Starting to look towards the classics again.

Sounds like a good solution to your problem. Stern didn't spend years developing IC to change it for one guy who started this thread and has 45 of the 165 posts in it.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'm completely oblivious to it

Hey-who the fu%# took my lighter?

Stoner Bro (resized).jpgStoner Bro (resized).jpg

46 and counting-I am the OP afterall

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

We now interrupt our regular scheduled programing with a break...

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from MasterBlaster:

but from a cost perspective I would think that having a door kit would make a great second option

Yes why would Stern want you to have to buy a qr reader and a whole new apron that you have to try and salvage the decals from? This makes no sense to me and is adding a burden for loyal Stern patrons. Just sell a coin door kit-especially for homeowners who do not wish to have to do all the swapping.

How long do we need to wait before Stern gets a clue? Even if they will not change the location or provide a kit they are leaving money on the table by allowing modders to supply them on second hand market. You would think Stern would see this as another money making opportunity and offer their own kit? A metal plate and some wiring-again not rocket science here.

If you guys want an option please speak up-it takes an army.

email your thoughts to: [email protected]
    qr coindoor (resized).jpgqr coindoor (resized).jpgqr kit (resized).jpgqr kit (resized).jpg

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from CryHavoc:

The only way I think it could look worse is by duct taping it to one of the legs

Look at the desperation here folks-can someone not come to the rescue?

qr sideways (resized).jpgqr sideways (resized).jpg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-stern-pinball-to-move-qr-reader-from-apron-to-coin-door/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.