Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Petition for Stern Pinball to move QR reader from apron to coin door”

• Yes-I petition Stern to move the QR reader to the coin door location or provide a kit to do so 48 votes
      18%
    • No-the QR reader does not bother me and I prefer it be kept on the apron location 95 votes
      36%
    • Prefer to have QR reader provided as a kit that can be installed in either location or left off 49 votes
      19%
    • I like Pizza 70 votes
      27%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

qr sideways (resized).jpg
    qr coindoor (resized).jpg
    qr kit (resized).jpg
    Stoner Bro (resized).jpg
    hear the chatter.gif
    calling bs (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    QR reader example (resized).jpg
    PinGulp (resized).jpg
    CupFone XL (resized).jpg
    aprongate2 (resized).jpg
    aprongate (resized).jpg
    Pizza!.gif
    I like pizza.gif
    Rolling eyes gif.gif
    BA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpeg

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 2 years ago

What are your thoughts about the QR reader located on the apron of Stern pinball machines? Would you rather have it located on the coin door? Does it bother you being located on the apron? Is it an eyesore where it is currently located? Do you like Pizza?

Should Stern move the QR reader to the coin door while the concept is in it's infancy or provide an additional kit to do so?

The only problem of moving to coin door is the commercial locations with bill acceptors or card readers on coin door. Can a software program be developed to accept payments via the QR reader so acceptors and card readers are a thing of the past?

Please vote honestly-inquiring minds want to know!

QR apron (resized).jpgQR apron (resized).jpgQR coin door (resized).jpgQR coin door (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

While I do agree that the apron position is a annying, that slot is already being used for bill takers or optional external volume control/headphone stations. I doubt that they would ship a pin that way stock because then those that route games would have to remove it and re-install somewhere else. Also, this is probably the spot that is the biggest attention getter on routed games.

What I don't know is if there enough room above the bill taker spot to mount it (i.e. internal clearances). I'm not really a fan of it in general, but I would create a 3D printed housing mount that either connected it to one of the front legs or just under the front of the cabinet. I'm sure there are already multiple solutions out there, but I've not cared enough to research.

#3 2 years ago

I think the apron is the right spot for location machines to get players to try it
    But there are plenty of owners who want it on the coin door for home use it should be a simple matter to include a mount for the coin door and let the buyer decide

#4 2 years ago

I really can't stand the QR reader located on the apron-hence the meaning of this thread. It does not bother many but it really bugs me(holy OCD Batman!).

#5 2 years ago

I dont notice my readers so i voted for pizza

20220320_080021 (resized).jpg20220320_080021 (resized).jpg20220320_080027 (resized).jpg20220320_080027 (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

voted for pizza

Hey you dumped LZ for RUSH and you were the el capitan of LZ! You probably put anchovies on your pizza! No seriously I do like your cover ups but now you need to work on covering up the advertising that is also an eye-sore. Use your QR reader to connect with friends-Yah!

Or better yet-get off the apron and move to coin door

Who likes black olives on Pizza-I do!

#7 2 years ago

No anchovies, didn't "dump" lz, was a space-money thing. I miss zepp, but its close by if I need to replace. I do agree with you, the QR is just terrible looking. And, zero interest in it so I'd vote for discontinuing it

#8 2 years ago

I know you do!

Honestly a retro kit makes sense to me overall. Can't move to coin door for locations with dollar and card readers until technology catches up. Now how do you make everyone happy? To me it seems rather easy-provide a kit in the NIB coinbox for having a choice to install/or not install and have an option to put on apron or coin door. Are you an operator who wants the reader on the apron and the giant ugly advertising cards that gum up the look of the apron. Or are you a home owner who cannot stand the look of the light coming from the apron and dislike the look of the advertising cards, etc? Do you want the benefits of the insider program and would choose to locate on coin door without provided advertising stickers and cards? Seems like we can find a solution to make everyone happy?

#9 2 years ago

Stern didn’t invest time, money, and resources into this project to put it where nobody is going to see it or notice it. They want people to see it and use it.

The coin door is for coins. Putting anything else there would be pointless at best and confusing at worst.

It’s an idea that makes zero sense from a business perspective. Which makes it great for pinside and on par with most industry suggestions here, but terrible in practice.

You are going to need a lot of signatures on your petition to overcome this hard, cold truth.

#10 2 years ago

I like it on the Apron and expect them to continue going this route.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s an idea that makes zero sense from a business perspective.

Sometimes you need to think outside of the box my friend

Think about this-Stern's business model has changed substantially over the last decade or so. What used to be a operator dominated industry has been split by the discovery of home pinball ownership. What does this mean? Well it means Stern needs to conform to adapt to this new customer that does not have the same needs or desires of an operator. I disagree that people will not 'See it' if not located on the apron. With some huge Stern advertising stickers included in the coinbox-you could paste all over the coin door if you wanted to. Now if you are a homeowner and have no need for the ugly advertising and would prefer a more clean look-you have a choice.

Stern could easily provide a 'Kit' that would retro-fit the desire of the operator v.s. homeowner. Really quite simple-have a cut-out underneath apron for optional install(just remove decal), and a small square plate for coin door option(probably cost dimes to produce in bulk).

Now Stern could take the route of not caring what their potential customers think and shove it down their throats whether they like it or not-it makes business sense. Or they could provide a retro kit that appeases everyone(for a minimum cost).

Chances are they may do nothing if people do not speak up. You can follow the sheep with your head down or speak up. Honestly if Stern would just provide cover up art and actual cards to match the theme that would be a good start. At the end of the day people may have to rely on the modders to move and cover up which is sad to me. C' mon Gary

#12 2 years ago

Well, so far 5 out of 35 people have voted in favor of your suggestion…so I’d say “the box” is the correct place to be on this question. Venturing outside of said box seems like a terrible idea.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

5 out of 35 people have voted in favor of your suggestion

Much too early-Pizza is catching up big time-never discount pizza!

#14 2 years ago

Oh and by the way-I just changed my vote from moving to coin door to providing the 'Kit' -makes more sense to me

#15 2 years ago

My vote is leave it where it is. R&D to move it as well as supplying a kit will only make the prices go up more. As easy as it is, extras = money, and why change something when they have an entire spring and summer's worth of backorder to bang out with an apron reader.

#16 2 years ago

Someone can make a mod that is a small cover that can go over the reader that has game art on it or some other creative thing. I don’t have a game with one but I would probably just unplug it and cover it with something like that.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

supplying a kit will only make the prices go up more

All the penny pinchers unite! Seriously it would cost dimes to produce an extra plate and extra stickers/cards. Dimes-not dollars

#18 2 years ago

Some of you guys seriously seem to spend more time bitching about pinball and stupid $hit as you likely do playing it.
    FFS already. It's not that big a deal.
    It's a light on a box full of lights.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

It's not that big a deal

Where are the guys who will please chime in that they do not even notice it-that one is the best one

#20 2 years ago

No, I use the coin door slot for headphone adapters

#21 2 years ago

I have a theory that I may test when i get my Rush machine that there may be a way to reposition it in the apron differently such that it doesnt need to be a giant white box. I suspect it could get moved closer to the glass, and the tradeoff is you may need to hold your barcode above the glass instead of resting on it.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

No, I use the coin door slot for headphone adapters

Got you covered broski

QR coin door (resized).jpgQR coin door (resized).jpg
    #23 2 years ago

People struggle to find the glowing start button (hence why the action button on the lockdown bar is standard and can start games)

They’d never use it on the coin door and/or assume it’s some sort of alternative payment method.

#24 2 years ago

If Stern provided the kit I honestly would not install it in either location. Even the coin door QR light is annoying to me. If I ever wanted to use the insider connect for a certain feature advantage I would put a turn key lock on my coin door and keep it inside the machine on top of coinbox to scan. To me it is such an eye-sore and needs to be removed from the apron(especially if not on location). Can anyone tell-I do not like the QR on apron and my eyes burn!

ST blinding.gifST blinding.gif
    #25 2 years ago

I feel like we've already had this exact same dumb conversation with all the exact same dumb memes and gifs already...It's really "thinking outside the box" to rehash a bunch of stuff from a month ago.

I think Pinmister and Weir need to form a support group

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

People struggle to find the glowing start button (hence why the action button on the lockdown bar is standard and can start games)

This

#27 2 years ago

I don’t think it makes a big difference either way, but in any event any changes are too late at this point. The apron reader ship has sailed…

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I don’t think it makes a big difference either way, but in any event any changes are too late at this point. The apron reader ship has sailed…

Are you sure?

6 out of 70 people in this pointless straw poll "petition" are demanding that Stern spend time, money, and resources to hide something from public view that they spent time, money, and resources to create and get the public to notice and use.

You would think that kind of outcry will have them questioning not only the placement of the QR reader...but their very business plan itself?!?!?! THis could be a paradigm-shifting game-changer that finally opens the door to endless innovation and drastic cost-reduction for consumers in the industry.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are you sure?
    6 out of 48 people in this pointless straw poll "petition" are demanding that Stern spend time, money, and resources to hide something from public view that they spent time, money, and resources to create and get the public to notice and use.
    You would think that kind of outcry will have them questioning not only the placement of the QR reader...but their very business plan itself?!?!?! THis could be a paradigm-shifting game-changer.

So your undecided ?

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

All the penny pinchers unite! Seriously it would cost dimes to produce an extra plate and extra stickers/cards. Dimes-not dollars

Yup....that's why they got rid of the playfield rails for the longest time, that's why they take out simple little items. Companies will penny pinch, and if you think they will add extra stuff without jacking up the price, you are wrong. Your little dime add on will tack on $100 to the price. Then watch Pinside blow up with bitching

#31 2 years ago

I vote for putting it on the bottom left side of back box.
    What a waste of space that is right now...

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I feel like we've already had this exact same dumb conversation

No not the same conversation but they do relate. The other thread was about how to dis-connect the QR reader or cover up with the supposed supplied cards from Stern. Months went by and nobody could answer how to disconnect other than the snarky comment of just un-plug it or cover it up with a piece of paper.

Many said Stern would come through with some cover up cards for the QR reader-and still nothing.

Meanwhile people have had to resort to making their own cover ups and making their own coin door mounts to move the QR reader. I thought about just letting it go and not giving a shit about it but it really bothers me being located on the apron. I obviously am not alone because I see more and more people buying the mod to move it to the coin door. What would be the problem with Stern providing an extra plate and stickers/cards?

If we are unable to convince Stern to provide a retro kit and give their patrons an option can I at least ask for just cover up stickers/cards to make it look normal on apron? Too much to ask?

#33 2 years ago

can the QR code reader light be dimmed during game play via a software fix? seems like the simplest solution instead adding another thing in the coin door (if there's 2 coin mechs a bill reader and a headphone jack)

#34 2 years ago

You could just make a kit for second hand market and case closed.

I would never put the Insider kit near coin door.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

can the QR code reader light be dimmed during game play via a software fix?

Not sure that is possible, seems to be an on off option only

-What I want to know is who's idea was it to put an annoying light on apron in the first place? I can't see Gary liking this on the apron-maybe Gomez?

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

You could just make a kit for second hand market and case closed

There already is a second hand market kit-that is part of my point. Stern could provide a retro kit for 'FREE' in the coinbox with the purchase of a several thousand dollar machine-hey what a bargain!

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I vote for putting it on the bottom left side of back box.
    What a waste of space that is right now...

Not sure this would work. If it was on sides of backbox patrons could not access with machines close together. If you are talking about the QR reader facing you straight forward on backbox that might be even more annoying.

For me moving to the coin door is the best overall solution and should be available as an option from factory.

#38 2 years ago

Levi touched on this but for newcomers you'd never know what that glowing light would mean on the coin door. Personally I think the QR in the Apron is totally fine; if you're not a fan simply remove it. Stern has already done their research & development regarding this matter. It will not get changed & it's ridiculous to think that this petition will have any traction what's so ever.

#39 2 years ago

This could be a disaster for Stern as it could cause fertility issues for men.

#40 2 years ago

Id be happy if they would just include a replacement plastic for the apron on each game. That way those of us that find it useless could just remove it.

Quoted from acedanger:

Levi touched on this but for newcomers you'd never know what that glowing light would mean on the coin door. Personally I think the QR in the Apron is totally fine; if you're not a fan simply remove it. Stern has already done their research & development regarding this matter. It will not get changed & it's ridiculous to think that this petition will have any traction what's so ever.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

newcomers you'd never know what that glowing light would mean on the coin door

I disagree.

Do newbies struggle with even pushing the start button-yes I see it all the time. I have even seen people hit the start button after a drain even after having it explained to them. People confused with auto launch, people confused on how to plunge the ball.

Would it confuse people having a bright square light with tons of advertising stickers with arrows pointing on coin door vs apron-I do not think so. They are 16" apart and it is not rocket science. Will people fumble-yes but they will regardless. Once people learn to scan from coindoor it will be the same thing. What we need is for all the pinside software gurus to develop a payment platform for the QR reader-then maybe people won't think it is so dumb moving to coin door(especially making a payment). I think it is dumb having it on apron

#42 2 years ago

Well if you add the poll results for moving and the fix which is basically the same option it is a tie with people that do not care to have it moved.

50/50 isn't bad but watch out for Pizza closing in!

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Months went by and nobody could answer how to disconnect other than the snarky comment of just un-plug it or cover it up with a piece of paper.

No, months went by where you were given a simple answer--there is no software option so you will need to unplug it or cover it. As was pointed out multiple times in that thread, just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean the question isn't being answered. You really need to stop lying with this "nobody can answer my questions" schtick.

#44 2 years ago

Indeed. Here's my response from that thread:

Casual players wouldn't notice it. Folks in the industry told me what an "a-ha!" moment it was to have the action button start a game, because so many noobs can't see the giant backlit START button on front of the game, even after putting money in the coin door.

Pretty sure an operator posted a video of someone pressing the action button to start a game, again to launch the ball, and continuing to smack it, trying to flip. They had no idea there were buttons on the side. This is the level of location ignorance Stern has to overcome. The QR camera has to be in your face.

(I know, casual players won't have an insider account or a QR code anyway. The point is to get them in the door.)

#45 2 years ago

COIN DOOR - DIY!

INS (resized).jpgINS (resized).jpgINSIDER (resized).jpgINSIDER (resized).jpg
    #46 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlie:

COIN DOOR - DIY!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Noobs won't see it!! So it's a fail

#47 2 years ago

Really this thing isn't that bright people

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

The QR camera has to be in your face.

How is a bright ass light coming from the coin door not in your face?

I seriously scratch my head at what the difference would be from apron to coin door for people.

Here is my main gripe-the light is annoying on the playfield and it is not noticeable while playing if located on coin door-plain and simple.

QR coin door (resized).jpgQR coin door (resized).jpg
    #49 2 years ago

Nice job-even a homeowner with a 3D printer can do it-I have faith that someone at Stern can do it too!

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Really this thing isn't that bright people

The apron light is brighter than some of the people complaining about it

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-stern-pinball-to-move-qr-reader-from-apron-to-coin-door and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.