Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Petition for Stern Pinball to move QR reader from apron to coin door”

• Yes-I petition Stern to move the QR reader to the coin door location or provide a kit to do so 48 votes
      18%
    • No-the QR reader does not bother me and I prefer it be kept on the apron location 95 votes
      36%
    • Prefer to have QR reader provided as a kit that can be installed in either location or left off 49 votes
      19%
    • I like Pizza 70 votes
      27%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

qr sideways (resized).jpg
    qr coindoor (resized).jpg
    qr kit (resized).jpg
    Stoner Bro (resized).jpg
    hear the chatter.gif
    calling bs (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    QR reader example (resized).jpg
    PinGulp (resized).jpg
    CupFone XL (resized).jpg
    aprongate2 (resized).jpg
    aprongate (resized).jpg
    Pizza!.gif
    I like pizza.gif
    Rolling eyes gif.gif
    BA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpeg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This thread is useless, Stern won't change something just because of a petition here

So this thread may be useless unless people speak up. What I have learned in life is you never know unless you ask. Who knows maybe someone at Stern may read this thread and it may plant a seed. I am here to plant seeds and hopefully they will grow. Maybe a conversation may occur at Stern's water-cooler? You never know who is reading, who is listening and who cares?

Even with my fun straw poll I am surprised with the number of participants in just a couple days. More and more people are starting to see the light(and want it removed )

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I guess I'm not interested in a participation award for playing a game. Different generation I guess, and the reader is a damn eyesore on the aprons. Im fully in the o.p. camp of having it optional, although I know it never will be.

Nah, it’s not a generation thing. It’s a comprehension thing, because you don’t understand achievements. It’s essentially a goal-based scorings system, but I know some people just love any excuse to use the term “participation award”. It’s funny, because pinball scores are literally a participation award. An infant can flap the flippers and get a score on a pinball machine every single time. Most seasoned players won’t get 5 building multiballs on Godzilla in a single game.

I also find if funny that people think the apron light is an “eye sore”. Like, what, compared to the 300 other inserts, flashers, spotlights, back glass, lcd screen, etc., that dim glowing insider connect box in your peripheral is somehow the “eye sore”?

#103 2 years ago

Yes it is a huge eye-sore and I find it extremely tacky on the playfield(a complete monstrosity and a shame to pinball).

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes it is a huge eye-sore and I find it extremely tacky on the playfield(a complete monstrosity and a shame to pinball).

Point to the place on the doll where Stern hurt you.

BA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpegBA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpeg
    #105 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Point to the place on the doll where Stern hurt you

Rolling eyes gif.gifRolling eyes gif.gif
    #106 2 years ago

Lots of people like pizza-but nobody saying what kind?

Chicago 7?

Black Olives and Pepperoni?

Sausage and Mushroom?

Inquiring minds want to know?

I like pizza.gifI like pizza.gifPizza!.gifPizza!.gif
    #107 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

God Bless America and being able to have the freedom to make choices

I also want to add that I am extremely thankful for Stern Pinball and I have a ton of respect for the company. I am not a hater but a pinball enthusiast with a passion. I am proud to know that Stern Pinball is made in the USA and I often reflect upon this and remember how lucky we truly are.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I also want to add that I am extremely thankful for Stern Pinball and I have a ton of respect for the company. I am proud to know that Stern Pinball is made in the USA and I often reflect upon this and remember how lucky we truly are.

The insider connected aprons are made in the USA too, so you’re not a true patriot if you dislike them.

#109 2 years ago

#110 2 years ago

We now interrupt our regular scheduled programing with a break...

#111 2 years ago

Slap some homemade artwork over the damn reader and get over it, move on.
    This is such a non-issue, what are we going to try next “petition to remove the coin door”?

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

This is such a non-issue, what are we going to try next “petition to remove the coin door”?

What's funny is there was a near-riot when Stern dared to remove one coin slot from the Tron LE coin door. Which is actually a bit less of an eyesore? The real issue is fear of change.

(I know operators need two slots. I'm talking about all the people who were just mad it didn't match their other games.)

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Slap some homemade artwork over the damn reader

It's not that easy Don

You can try and cover up the reader and then you have all the advertising that also looks out of place. It amazes me that people think you can just create a whole new sticker with graphics to match a games art for the entire apron(not an easy task and really unnecessary if provided from factory as a choice).

-Just slap a sticker on it! Mkay

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

It's not that easy Don

Funniest thing in the thread so far.

#115 2 years ago

yet another genius Pinside poll that has 4 possible choices to vote in a "For" or "Against" referendum.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I also want to say God Bless America and being able to have the freedom to make choices

Does that include letting manufacturers make choices?

I’ve been skeptical of almost every change Stern has made, but eventually realized they were right. Metal heads, LEDs, node board re-architecture, lockbar clasps - all smart moves that I didn’t like at first, but quickly got over.

I’ll see if I can find one of my old posts bitching about LED GI. I know I’d be embarrassed now.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nah, it’s not a generation thing. It’s a comprehension thing, because you don’t understand achievements. It’s essentially a goal-based scorings system, but I know some people just love any excuse to use the term “participation award”. It’s funny, because pinball scores are literally a participation award. An infant can flap the flippers and get a score on a pinball machine every single time. Most seasoned players won’t get 5 building multiballs on Godzilla in a single game.
    I also find if funny that people think the apron light is an “eye sore”. Like, what, compared to the 300 other inserts, flashers, spotlights, back glass, lcd screen, etc., that dim glowing insider connect box in your peripheral is somehow the “eye sore”?

you sound like a pretty fart smeller.Enjoy your reader,everyone will never agree on everything.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

The real issue is a fear of change.

That’s a Bingo!

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

you sound like a pretty fart smeller.Enjoy your reader,everyone will never agree on everything.

#120 2 years ago

Personally, I'm shocked that anyone thinks it's better in the coin door. That to me is the eye-sore. You can see that at a distance and it's inconsistent from game to game. The apron reader is only noticeable when standing over the game and not at all when playing (of course the coin door isnt visible to the player).
    The only reason I'd consider putting it in the door is just the ease of not having to remove part of the apron for the initial install when adding them.
    Additionally, I really like how it's integrated on Rush and Godzilla with the full art around it. Maybe that's just on LEs though, but I'm a fan of that look.

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Additionally, I really like how it's integrated on Rush and Godzilla with the full art around it. Maybe that's just on LEs though, but I'm a fan of that look.

I agree, it's professional and looks nice. And it's that way on the pros as well.

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Ghostbusters is often referred to as one the best looking pins out there.

Compare the aprons, shall we?

Ghostbusters is a mess. Godzilla/Rush look significantly less messy, and more integrated with the art package. We're still in this strange phase of triangles and boxes, but this insider apron redesign is moving away from that. I'm all about it.

aprongate (resized).jpgaprongate (resized).jpgaprongate2 (resized).jpgaprongate2 (resized).jpg
    #123 2 years ago

Personally I think the coin door fix is horrible looking. If you truly think the reader is blinding or a distraction -- well first I don't believe you because I haven't seen any threads about lights and flashers from backboxes in your peripheral vision getting people all riled up (God help you if you also play next to another pinball machine, let alone one on each side. Talk about peripheral sensory overload!) -- but if you truly and honestly can't deal with the moderate glow then by all means move it to the coin door. It's convenient and a cheap mod already exists you can 3d print at you local library.

But if your problem with it is aesthetics? The coin door is waaaaaay worse looking. The only way I think it could look worse is by duct taping it to one of the legs. Putting that reader on the coin door looks bad.

#124 2 years ago

Epilepsy warning is a bigger eyesore to me, but we all got used to it.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’ll see if I can find one of my old posts bitching about LED GI. I know I’d be embarrassed now.

Oh, man. I was SO anti LED when they hit, it was crazy. Today, the only incandescent lamps still in my games are 89s and 906s because LED flashers really hurt the eyes. Talking to you, Dwight.

#126 2 years ago

Wow, I just now realized that the price card is gone. About time, since the price is on the LCD anyway.

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Wow, I just now realized that the price card is gone

Aren't you outraged?!
    You should start a petition thread.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from CryHavoc:

The only way I think it could look worse is by duct taping it to one of the legs. Putting that reader on the coin door looks bad.

Oh, man, I think you're on to something with the legs! All we need is a WeatherTech® CupQRCamera® XL that fits inside of a Pinball Life PinGulp Beverage Caddy. Problem solved, folks! /s

This:
    WeatherTech® CupQRCamera® XL Camera WeatherTech® CupQRCamera® XL Camera

Plus this:
    PinGulp Beverage Caddy ProPinGulp Beverage Caddy Pro

Equals bliss! /s

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Oh, man, I think you're on to something with the legs! All we need is a WeatherTech® CupQRCamera® XL that fits inside of a Pinball Life PinGulp Beverage Caddy. Problem solved, folks! /s
    This:
    [quoted image]
    Plus this:
    [quoted image]
    Equals bliss! /s

Yeah, but now I'd need to duct tape my beer to that leg, or something?!! QR placement sure is messing with my Zen, man!!

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Yeah, but now I'd need to duct tape my beer to that leg, or something?!! QR placement sure is messing with my Zen, man!!

No, you just need two of those ugly PinGulps: one for your ugly WeatherTech® CupQRCamera® XL and one for your beer.

#131 2 years ago

I’d rather it be on the coin door

#132 2 years ago

On a more serious note, have we figured out why a camera is needed in the first place, other than for Stern to sell kits? Have each machine display its own unique QR code on its LCD panel and then use that code in conjunction with the fact that each player can be logged in to and therefore identified and tracked by an Insider Connected app on their Apple or Android phone. Boom. Done.

I use my phone's camera (inside of the app) to scan the machine, not have the machine use its own camera to scan my phone (makes little sense).

#133 2 years ago

On a more serious note, have we figured out why a camera is needed in the first place, other than for Stern to sell kits? Have each machine display its own unique QR code on its LCD panel and then use that code in conjunction with the fact that each player can be logged in to and therefore identified and tracked by an Insider Connected app on their Apple or Android phone. Boom. Done.

The nice thing about the QR reader is that you can screenshot or print out your code; you don’t have to be logged in. I’m making a laminated card for mine - might even get a tattoo on my wrist.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The nice thing about the QR reader is that you can screenshot or print out your code; you don’t have to be logged in. I’m making a laminated card for mine - might even get a tattoo on my wrist.

Ok, a tattoo is going too far!!

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Ok, a tattoo is going too far!!

Yeah, I carry a phone so that I don't have to tattoo my Christmas card list onto my leg.

#136 2 years ago

Can I just not pay for it and don't install it because I don't care about achievements and scores ?

I just play pinball for fun and complete objectives and modes. I rarely put my initials in my games because it doesnt mean anything. Since I own the games and am basically the only one who plays them of course my name would be all over the place so it's meaningless.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Can I just not pay for it and don't install it because I don't care about achievements and scores ?

No, just like you can't pay less for removing coin mechs and locks on the door becasue you don't use them.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I just play pinball for fun and complete objectives and modes.

I think that's what it does actually.

#138 2 years ago

I voted coin door for a couple of reasons. Aesthetically, adding the kit to my existing machine bugged me because the original apron artwork simply wasn’t designed to have a hole cut out of it. On the new machines like Zilla and Rush it looks amazing because the artwork was specifically designed to work around that hole.
    My (add-on) StrTh UV kit would have been even more tricky to work around. So for me it was the path of least resistance, and since it was the first machine to get the reader then it just made sense to continue doing the other machine the same way.
    I don’t mind it either way, but from a cost perspective I would think that having a door kit would make a great second option, particularly for HUO machines? I don’t really want to pay for an apron that I’m not going to use. Granted, I’ll have the apron to pass on to the next owner. But if I could get the IC kit for less $ without the apron, I’d be cool with that.

#139 2 years ago

I think all companies need to at least listen to feedback from their customers. I personally dislike the QR reader in general being on the apron, since pinball was first engineered the coins went in the front by the coin door or into the coin door itself. I know that the new generation kids will have spines that degenerate and fuse together as a result of being sedentary, but if you cant bend over to scan the QR code on the coin door you cannot expect to play pinball.

#140 2 years ago

"Insufficient user level" so I'm not allowed to participate in the poll? WTF! This is a thing?

Update: Either a setting was changed or there was a glitch in the system, but my vote was accepted after another attempt on the next day. Whew...talk about a first world problem. Carry on...

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, just like you can't pay less for removing coin mechs and locks on the door becasue you don't use them.

If they put the QR reader on the coin door, they could sell two versions: blank door and coin mech + QR for ops

Of course no one would notice it on the coin door…

Stern had QR codes on rule cards like Transformers. I wonder how often those still get accessed

#142 2 years ago

#143 2 years ago

Oh, man, I think you're on to something with the legs!

Wow talk about De Ja Vu I had this exact thought. I was thinking where could it be placed other than apron or coindoor where you would not see the light(you could turn slightly sideways)-cup holder or sides of legs? Only other out of sight idea was inside machine with a turn key lock opener for coindoor.

I also had another idea while thinking about this. For those that would want it on the coindoor but still do not care for the glaring light-you could have a plate that covers the light on some kind of a rivet that allows to slide the plate sideways to access the reader. That way it covers the light up and would look seamless on the coindoor in black-you would not even see reader at all.

#144 2 years ago

have we figured out why a camera is needed in the first place, other than for Stern to sell kits?

^^^^^^^
    This is brilliant!

I just have to say this thread is full of really smart people and this discussion is really enjoyable for me.

I really do have the question now-why do we really need this bright reader that gums up the look of the apron and pinball playfield?

Seriously do we need it? Amused_to_Death made a great point with the reversal of this logic. When you go to most restaurants they now offer to scan 'their qr code' to access the menu, etc. With software is it possible to just have a qr code on the machine to scan and your smart phone will recognize and prompt you to the appropriate insider connect platform?

Did Stern launch the reader to try and sell units for profitability and ruin the classic look of pinball?

I am scratching my head with this. Is it possible to ditch the reader entirely and just scan a small qr code on coindoor? Wow does this sound like the way to go-no annoying light-brilliant!

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Aesthetically, adding the kit to my existing machine bugged me because the original apron artwork simply wasn’t designed to have a hole cut out of it.

Another prime example of the conflict of interest and something I have not considered yet.

Thank you for your honest reply and the coindoor kit would save Stern's patrons the hassle and expense of having to retro-fit older models(never thought about this).

Simple plate for coindoor or having to MacGyver?

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Since I own the games and am basically the only one who plays them of course my name would be all over the place so it's meaningless.

I am right there with you brother!

For a home owner collector I have no interest in 'connecting with my friends' on a internet based platform. I have my circle of peeps and that is good for me. I just concentrate on keeping my friends from putting grand champion on my machines(not in my house!).

What I have seen is a correlation with introverted pinheads and the desire to want to be accepted and be part of a group-feel connected(mainly newbies). Now there are people that do like the stats but it sounds like we can get these stats without the reader and with just a qr code?

#147 2 years ago

Another pinsiders lineup with coindoor qr readers installed-much better than gumming up the apron imo..

QR reader example (resized).jpgQR reader example (resized).jpg

^^^^^
    Notice-no ugly advertising-nice!

#148 2 years ago

The people for the qr don't understand how it muddies up the apron, they understand and appreciate the use it provides. I get that, but for home use, I still don't understand the need for it. It will never happen, but I do wish it was an add on, not a forced upgrade, going forward on new machines.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

but I do wish it was an add on, not a forced upgrade, going forward on new machines.

I like that this thread is getting people to talk about it and think about it.

Sounds to me like instead of-'Hey just slap a sticker over it!' can be turned into 'Hey just ditch the baloney qr light and slap a qr sticker on it!' Boom

#150 2 years ago

Just to chime in as someone who's bought two of the coin door kits. For me it was all about not wanting to lose art work on TMNT and AIQ. The apron looks fine on newer machines with integrated artwork (premium/le moreso than pro, but pros still look fine.) And the light isn't bothersome either. But, losing artwork was a deal breaker for me. The red artwork for retrofit kits really are ugly.

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-stern-pinball-to-move-qr-reader-from-apron-to-coin-door/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.