(Topic ID: 271631)

3rd Party P3 Game: Ranger In The Ruins for CCR module - $149 Multimorphic.com!

By bingopodcast

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).png
RITR Update (resized).png
RITR2002 (resized).png
RITR21Update (resized).jpg
RITR2Update (resized).jpg
7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg
A44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpeg
20200914_165958 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpg
RITR-Reveal (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

Yeesh, Nick. If this game is already out for beta... that's amazingly fast development. Looking forward to the videos!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

that's amazingly fast development.

Thanks Gerry. I can't stress enough how great the toolset is for making P3 games (everyone should do it!). Also, I follow the rule of A-B-C (always be coding).

Looking forward to the videos!

Hopefully soon!

#103 3 years ago

New day, new update

Abbreviated release notes:
* Tilt now actually waits for the ball to hit a scoop, vuk, or drain before moving to next player or ball (one of those obvious when you see it things)
* Scores have been re-balanced slightly.
* Side targets now lock when locks are enabled by item - each cluster of two on each side has to be hit to enable lock at the scoop.
* Scoring is divided based on number of balls (1-2, 3-4 and 5+)
* Item that allows instant score +/- now divides based on number of balls
* Multipliers now function with the side targets
* Lots of light show work this update. Wanna keep some surprise for now.
* All scoring switches now have tilt protection (d'oh, another obvious when you see it).
* Graphical fix for score popups to make more attractive
* Added popups for lock enabling/disabling/number of balls locked/tilt.

#104 3 years ago

It sounds like this is maybe ready for a video??

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

It sounds like this is maybe ready for a video??

Maybe this weekend!

#106 3 years ago

Aw yeah, my new lightshows work properly (after a little tweaking tonight). I managed to introduce a tilt bug somehow, but once I find that, we should be moving towards release candidate status. Hopefully this weekend (I feel it's more likely now)

#107 3 years ago

Yeesh, Nick. If this game is already out for beta... that's amazingly fast development. Looking forward to the videos!
- Gerry

Like I said, he continuously violates the spacetime continuum. I'm still looking forward to playing his Doctor Who game he made in the future. (Our future, not his.)

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Aw yeah, my new lightshows work properly (after a little tweaking tonight). I managed to introduce a tilt bug somehow, but once I find that, we should be moving towards release candidate status. Hopefully this weekend (I feel it's more likely now)

This thread has me really psyched to get back to setting up; work has been a nightmare recently. Thanks for the continuous updates! Once this is available I’ll have no further excuses not to get a CCR Playfield!

#109 3 years ago

Finished another update today, narrowing in on a finished product, I think...

Release notes:
Improved all light shows
Tilt handling issue no longer crashes game (a multiplayer game with 1 or more balls would crash if the final player was the tilter).
Orbit scoring now prevents phantom scores and has been tweaked further, super reliable now!
Positioning of text for popup text has been improved (especially apparent during tilt and MB messages)
Positioning of opening text also moved.
Tilt handling - huge changes to graphical options when player is tilted on multiplayer with multiple balls set in options (this was causing the crash, but also looked funny).
More Scoring tweaks
Side target tweaks

#110 3 years ago

Well, turns out that I'm no longer 18 and staying up all night programming causes me to introduce some mistakes (it did then, too). Haha!
I've got a few patches that I'll be pushing to testers today, but hopefully this is nearing the last round.

I added a protection to multiball drains during launch that prevented more than a 2 ball multiball for example. Very proud of that one...

And my protection against the tilt crash may have been a little overzealous as the death animation no longer played. Haha!

I came home from work last night and slept for about 13 hours. I've been moping around the house nursing a major headache, but I'm fixing a few bugs. Gonna take a little break tomorrow and relax, but hoping to have these things worked out before then.

#111 3 years ago

Alright new build pushed to testers:

* Fixed some bugs related to one lamp show on ball start
* Lots of multiball bugs fixed
* Some graphical bugs fixed related to death.
* Sound fixes for smaller scores for games with multiple balls.
* Some graphical bugs fixed related to pop up text
* Ramp scoring reliability fixes

#112 3 years ago

Got some great feedback from my testers this weekend. I did take yesterday off, as I mentioned, but this morning made a few of the changes they suggested. I am almost ready to work on finalizing the game!

1 week later
#113 3 years ago

I've been working on RITR, as you might have come to expect, and have made tons of changes, some bigger, some smaller, in the process of finalizing the game for release.

I managed to create some pretty awesome item stacking bugs that required me to make special builds to test, for example. Still working through the testing process and squashing any issues as they arise.

In the mean-time, Multimorphic just announced a new feature that I may add in an update!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twitch-connect-viewers-can-affect-gameplay-on-real-machines

This will not make it in as part of the initial release, but I do have a couple of interesting ideas for integration that might prove fun on stream.

Multimorphic keeps adding more and more to the base platform, really quite incredible from a developer (and player/owner!) standpoint.

#114 3 years ago

RITR-Reveal (resized).jpgRITR-Reveal (resized).jpg

Join Kevin from Buffalo Pinball and I on a reveal stream -tonight- at 8PM Eastern and see Ranger In The Ruins!

As part of the stream, if you own a P3 and would like to receive a time-limited demo of the game, post the type of item you would most like to find in a post-apocalypse within the Twitch chat, and I'll pick a winner at random at 9PM!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.

#115 3 years ago

Looking forward to the stream tonight, Nick! Glad you're able to join in and I can't wait to show it off.

#116 3 years ago

Looking forward to this. Come and support indie pinball everyone!

#118 3 years ago

Great stream guys! I really really love the look of this game.

#119 3 years ago

Day and date release of the game with the stream, how cool is that??

Twitch video is here if you missed it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/731578856

Will get it posted on YouTube tomorrow, too!

#120 3 years ago

Thanks Kevin for showing off the game so well, and thank you to everyone for tuning in and chatting!

I am glad that others seem to enjoy it as much as I do. That's always the hope.

#121 3 years ago

That was really fun to check out! I've been watching more and more of Kevin's streams, really
Enjoyed that last night. Game
Looks really Creative, fun idea and gameplay.

Loved The CCR battle that followed too!

#122 3 years ago

Here's the YouTube archive of last night's stream if you missed it!

#123 3 years ago

RITR has been added to the Pinside database! Now you can rate/review and add to your collection or wishlists as well!

I'll be working on adding it to Pindigo as well, so that you all can set unattainable goals for me to try to surpass.

#124 3 years ago

Congrats, Nick! The game looks great!

We appreciate all you do for the pinball community.

- Gerry

#125 3 years ago

Awesome job Nick!!! You are a beast when it comes to setting these lofty goals to completion. We are lucky to have such an enthusiast in the hobby

#126 3 years ago

Thanks you guys! You're too kind.

@rdoyle I am not sure I answered your question on the stream about music. I wrote a few tracks for the game, but getting them into shape was a very time-consuming challenge. I haven't played or recorded any music since the early 2000s, so it's been a while.

It just wasn't shaping up quickly enough for me to get my programming ideas down, so I ended up going the easier way and looking for music to license that fit the gameplay.

In the Buffalo stream, you might have heard about 5 or 6 different tracks - there are more available as well. Some are slow builds, some are driving like the main theme. Each was included for a specific reason, and to cater to different tastes.

I am excited that the game has been so well received! I have received a couple of minor suggestions, thank you for those as well, and I am taking them all seriously. If I can answer any questions, I am more than happy to do so. I am enjoying seeing people play with either the default or modified settings. I tried to make a game that would appeal to many tastes (including my own).

Lastly, if you have Cosmic Cart Racing, why not treat yourself this weekend and grab a copy of Ranger In The Ruins?

#127 3 years ago

Thanks you guys! You're too kind.
@rdoyle I am not sure I answered your question on the stream about music. I wrote a few tracks for the game, but getting them into shape was a very time-consuming challenge. I haven't played or recorded any music since the early 2000s, so it's been a while.
It just wasn't shaping up quickly enough for me to get my programming ideas down, so I ended up going the easier way and looking for music to license that fit the gameplay.
In the Buffalo stream, you might have heard about 5 or 6 different tracks - there are more available as well. Some are slow builds, some are driving like the main theme. Each was included for a specific reason, and to cater to different tastes.
I am excited that the game has been so well received! I have received a couple of minor suggestions, thank you for those as well, and I am taking them all seriously. If I can answer any questions, I am more than happy to do so. I am enjoying seeing people play with either the default or modified settings. I tried to make a game that would appeal to many tastes (including my own).
Lastly, if you have Cosmic Cart Racing, why not treat yourself this weekend and grab a copy of Ranger In The Ruins?

Thanks, I remember you saying you were going to do some recording, but must have missed where you switched to the licensed tracks. Good choices!

As a musician myself, I totally understand the decision - a LOT of work goes into recording tracks and making them sound good, and sometimes the end result doesn’t convey all the effort. Time is better spent on rules and bugs in this case! Thanks again. Haven’t gotten my P3 in the house yet but this will be one of the first games I play!

#128 3 years ago

PURCHASED!

Question: is the stream relatively spoiler-free? I watched the first few minutes, but turned it off because I want to have to figure out the item uses on my own. I'd love to watch more of the stream, but will pass if I'm gonna get things answered that I'd rather have to discover myself.

#129 3 years ago

There are some spoilers in there! If you'd like to experience the game as I intended, better not to watch too much.

I do intentionally not answer some questions on there, and not every item was found on the stream. Actually quite a few are still undiscovered.

And thank you!!

#130 3 years ago

There are some spoilers in there! If you'd like to experience the game as I intended, better not to watch too much.
I do intentionally not answer some questions on there, and not every item was found on the stream. Actually quite a few are still undiscovered.
And thank you!!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll forego the stream, at least for now.

Been following your development through QfG and then into this game. Excited to try it and happy to support both Gerry and you as a supplementary P3 developer. It was cool to see that at least one person seemed to have gotten pushed over the edge of buying a CCR module based on your game. Congrats! Really excited to see someone continuing the 3rd party P3 development.

Don't stop now. We expect another game 72 days from now...

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll forego the stream, at least for now.
Been following your development through QfG and then into this game. Excited to try it and happy to support both Gerry and you as a supplementary P3 developer. It was cool to see that at least one person seemed to have gotten pushed over the edge of buying a CCR module based on your game. Congrats! Really excited to see someone continuing the 3rd party P3 development.
Don't stop now. We expect another game 72 days from now...

It was me! Ccr incoming hopefully by next week. Gerry was nice enough to include Ranger right on the same invoice.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

It was me! Ccr incoming hopefully by next week. Gerry was nice enough to include Ranger right on the same invoice.

I very much appreciate the support, and hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

#134 3 years ago

Hey, what's this? Ranger In The Ruins is available on Pindigo! Log those scores!

#135 3 years ago

Now just need my CCR module. Hopefully arriving next week!

PXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpgPXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpg
#137 3 years ago

Not for long!

#138 3 years ago

Ooh, what are you switching it up to?

#139 3 years ago

Man, hoping my P3 comes up soon!

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Ooh, what are you switching it up to?

Thinking of going clear. The red looks like it will clash with the purple of Ranger. Clear seems more universal.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Thinking of going clear. The red looks like it will clash with the purple of Ranger. Clear seems more universal.

I was thinking the same -- post up some pictures when you get yours done!

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I was thinking the same -- post up some pictures when you get yours done!

Will do!

#143 3 years ago

We appreciate all you do for the pinball community.

I appreciate that your company has made this amazing modular machine, given away the development tools that allow anyone to make their own games, and support those creators.

Thanks so much to you and the entire Multimorphic team for all of your support.

Anyone thinking about making their own game for the P3, you definitely should. The platform supports games of infinite complexity. The freedom to create a game without having to worry about cutting a cabinet, fitting brackets, wiring the boring stuff (start button, flippers, etc.) - it really puts you miles ahead on homebrew.

There is also a pinball development slack channel that we use to discuss development questions. Extremely helpful.

I am always always always happy to answer questions about P3 development and help you onboard if you need it.
I can't wait to play what others create!

Now back to writing code rules for the next game.

#144 3 years ago

Had a decent run this morning. Encyclopedia first item, energy drink second.

PXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpgPXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpg

I have no doubt that most of you will blow this score out of the water. (Prove it!!)

#145 3 years ago

Had a decent run this morning. Encyclopedia first item, energy drink second.
[quoted image]
I have no doubt that most of you will blow this score out of the water. (Prove it!!)

You asked...I'd do a lot better if I was any good at collecting items. Somehow, when the time comes, I can't hit those giant-ass scoops. "Broadside of a barn" tends to come to mind.

20200914_165958 (resized).jpg20200914_165958 (resized).jpg
#146 3 years ago

Nice job! I definitely feel the same way, haha!

#147 3 years ago

My best to date. I had to clear the default item scores - no way I was ever reaching those with one ball.

A44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpegA44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpeg
7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg

#150 3 years ago

I'm really digging the game! Deceptively fun. I think you did a great job with the lighting effects too. First time I got the lighter, wow. That looked cool. Not sure I understand what happened other than the color change, but we'll see if I ever find it again.

Is there a way to delete just the item scoreboard? Toyguy had the idea and I like it since I'll never beat the default numbers, but I don't want to erase my high scores.

Also, how often are you supposed to find the item that explains the other items? I've played almost 70 games and I've never gotten it, unless it was the diary and I needed to do something specific with it to get the other item info.

It's been fun trying to figure out what the items do. Thanks for a fun little game and for keeping the thread spoiler-free.

I can't wait to see what else you some up with!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-ranger-in-the-ruins/page/3?hl=guiitarman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.