(Topic ID: 271631)

3rd Party P3 Game: Ranger In The Ruins for CCR module - $149 Multimorphic.com!

By bingopodcast

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RITR 3.0.0.2 Update (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i3_w4000 (resized).png
s192260447720677704_p19_i2_w3072 (resized).png
RITR Update (resized).png
RITR2002 (resized).png
RITR21Update (resized).jpg
RITR2Update (resized).jpg
7CF377D7-596B-4004-9CB0-1A7F41B8C46A (resized).jpeg
A44599A9-B74B-43C4-83EF-79E7D5F66DF7 (resized).jpeg
20200914_165958 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200912_143839199 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200909_223438576 (resized).jpg
RITR-Reveal (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What! Rectify that ASAP! Start with the renewed version with Chris Eccelston or David Tennant

Oh Rose. I'm going to get all teary again.

#52 3 years ago

With so many items, one of them's got to be a sonic screwdriver right?

#53 3 years ago

Had some unexpected stuff come up that required me to rearrange my game room and do a bunch of other stuff. That said, I just finished QFG! So today I plan to try recording the drums on my main loop and multiball track.

#54 3 years ago

I got the CCR playfield so if you’re looking for a tester...

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Had some unexpected stuff come up that required me to rearrange my game room and do a bunch of other stuff. That said, I just finished QFG! So today I plan to try recording the drums on my main loop and multiball track.

Too bad we may never get to play it!

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Too bad we may never get to play it!

When shows happen again, I'll be bringing it around, if nothing else.

#57 3 years ago

When shows happen again, I'll be bringing it around, if nothing else.

Come on Activision!

#59 3 years ago

Drum recording complete - that was an insane amount of trouble (had to use a second computer). I think the second computer's input peaked constantly so I might have to re-record all of it, but I suspect I'll need to do that for all the instruments.

#60 3 years ago

Added in a settings menu, along with default options and tested those... number of balls works for players 1-4 (max 4). Game ends when appropriate.

Added tilt - no warnings, just death. This is not configurable.

I'm working on some of the item uses now!

Here's what's left before I can test:
1) Flesh out all item uses (for items that require button/switch presses).
2) Add 2 Multiball modes - the SDK comes with a sample Multiball mode that I can use to review.
3) Add rudimentary light shows
4) Review ball launch stuff - ensuring that balls launch properly, theoretically.
5) Add simple music and effects (will take time to finish).
6) Add graphics for each item
7) Test.

#61 3 years ago

I worked on adding graphics for each item today - I'm about 1/4 through the item list. Some may require refinement/replacement, but it's a start.

#62 3 years ago

Almost all items have graphics! I've added the sprites in Unity and some delicious flavor text. Now to program the ability to see the images (with animation) and text...
Then number 6 in the list is done.

#63 3 years ago

Ah, trying the eke out a bit of time every day to work on the game. Luckily, I still think the same as I did a week or so ago when I wrote the bones of the items - I post an integer along with the command to fire up the items and the meaning of that int is still the same. Go me!

I've got about 50% of the GUI methods written for items. Once that's finished, I need to do a bit more testing, then it's on to the next thing. Perhaps ball launch next? The SDK abstracts away so much of that process that I don't really know how it works on a lower level. I need to do some fancier stuff with this game, so I'll have to read, digest, and probably ask some questions on the pindev slack.

#64 3 years ago

Perhaps ball launch next? The SDK abstracts away so much of that process that I don't really know how it works on a lower level. I need to do some fancier stuff with this game, so I'll have to read, digest, and probably ask some questions on the pindev slack.

lol - we're ready!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#65 3 years ago

Great progress!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

lol - we're ready!

Well, I just took a peek at how this is configured for the stuff that ships with the SDK and it works as I expected. It'll be no problem to adapt to a different playfield. Stop making everything so simple!

Quoted from northvibe:

Great progress!

Thanks! I feel I'm moving in slow motion, but trying to maintain some momentum.

#67 3 years ago

Well, I just took a peek at how this is configured for the stuff that ships with the SDK and it works as I expected. It'll be no problem to adapt to a different playfield. Stop making everything so simple!

It sounds like you are making HUGE progress! I'm excited to finally sit down and start working with the SDK once work calms down.

#68 3 years ago

pff, you are moving right along! all of my "projects" are still in pieces lying about. You set your mind and then follow through. I have loved listening to your podcasts and watching you create things! I have a sense of jealousy, appreciation and joy for you! I do smile when I see you and your children stream and talk about the games. I have two little ones, so I can relate and hope mine love the game as much as yours!

#69 3 years ago

Wow, thank you for your kind words.

I'm excited to share something fun with my kids, and hope that even if they don't have machines of their own, they'll have learned something about how to fix things or build things and carry that practical skill through their lives.

Hopefully they have fun while learning , too.

My back has healed up, so I was able to finish the game room changes today, relevel stuff, and do a bit more programming.

I have added in a lot of graphical flourish to acquiring items, to the point where that is almost complete.

The last touch for items is to add a background to make them stand out a bit from the cityscape.

It's taken a lot of tweaking to get to this point, but the game will automatically reach out and try to connect, if that succeeds, it will put it in Internet mode. Failing that stay in a local only mode and pull from a special file.

Items are acquired based on a random timer. When that happens, it polls and grabs the appropriate items. You should never see the same item twice in a row.

When the game determines it's item time, a ghost appears on screen. The movement stops once the ghost reaches the center, and after a few seconds, the item zooms into view on the lower screen.

After a few more seconds, movement resumes, and the item disappears from view. The ghost zips off the screen, adding to the sense of movement.

I'm pretty pleased with how this all looks and works. The background will make the item images slightly more visible, depending on which items appear. I have thoughts... We'll see how it looks.

I also meant to add to my list a generic method to pop up scores on the lower screen as you earn them. Easy enough to add, but I keep forgetting it in my list making euphoria.

So here's what's left:

1) Flesh out all item uses (for items that require button/switch presses).
2) Add 2 Multiball modes - the SDK comes with a sample Multiball mode that I can use to review.
3) Add rudimentary light shows
4) Review ball launch stuff - ensuring that balls launch properly, theoretically.
5) Add simple music and effects (will take time to finish).
6) Add score popups on lower screen.

Hope to knock out an item or two tomorrow!

#70 3 years ago

I added this stuff today:
1) Sun parabola animation
2) Smoothed out ghost exit animation.
3) Ball Launch stuff (hopefully!)
4) Score Popups - not rendering, but calling and have all the GUI stuff written to take advantage. Some small thing needed to work - I use the same method in QFG and it works, so it's something very trivial.
5) Oh yeah, scoring... forgot about enabling that... Haha! That's done for each switch, including multipliers.
6) Item uses now function for the 2 items that require/allow button presses.

What's left:
1) Add 2 Multiball modes - the SDK comes with a sample Multiball mode that I can use to review.
2) Add rudimentary light shows
3) Add simple music and effects (will take time to finish, but put some basic stuff in there).

#71 3 years ago

I believe I've got the multiball modes added... though I don't doubt that one of the two will need some fairly massive tweaks once I test in game.

I am now working on the music, and then it'll be sound effects and light shows.

I have a plan for some sound effects that I think is pretty cool.

#72 3 years ago

I added some music at lunchtime, and updated the high score entry to be themed to the game. Tackling the small things as I come across them, on the way to the larger things.

#73 3 years ago

You know what time it is: lunchtime! I added more sounds and music to the game, still in the process of mastering my tracks. Also added a results page (lists final scores of last game).

Working on adding a high scores page now, then it'll be on to light shows. I'm really interested to dig into those with the CCR playfield module.

First flips maaaaay slip to the following weekend. Heads up!

#74 3 years ago

Well, I am tabling my songs for now - after spending a lot of time editing them into something sorta reasonable I was still nowhere near happy enough with them. Good news is that I have quite a lot of other music in the game.

I've added some light shows to the game for various events, and hopefully they work like I expect! I'll find out when I test.

So what's left?

1) I discovered a bug with rapid restarts of the game after dying while a ghost is on the screen. (I know, right?!) It seems the game loses track, somehow, of the ghost and can't animate it any longer. I have absolutely no clue why this is happening, and it has never happened to me previously... The object exists, I can see it in the editor/inspector, and it's at the coordinates I expect, but it's like the game completely forgot it exists. I am going to try mapping the object in a different way and see if that makes a difference. This bug mussssst be fixed or else no ghosts will function until the app is restarted. Pretty annoying. You'll still receive items, but the positional audio does some weird stuff and you won't see it coming. Invisible ghosts! Maybe I should detect if that happens and only give you negative items.

2) Add a few other sound effects for certain switch hits. My audio is going to be based on point value. One of the things I love about EM audio design is that, while shots are not contextualized with video clips, the audio is consistent. A small bell is a small point value, a large bell is larger, etc.

3) Add a backglass image! I keep forgetting to do this...

4) Prep the app for build. This requires a few extra little pieces (some artwork and a callout for starting the app).

5) Add ghost upload to the code for when you drain (RESTful service is there, just need to call it).

So... not very much! The bug is the most pressing concern, because it's really obnoxious and logs a billion errors when it happens.

#75 3 years ago

I stayed up a little too late last night and finished everything except for number 5.

The rapid restart issue was corrected by making the ghost object public. Super duper weird. I'll have to dig into why that is at some point later on.

#76 3 years ago

Hey, it's lunchtime, and you know what that means... I had a bit more than one line to write as I debugged sending the items via the Internet to the server, but that's all done. It works, it's great, and I love it.

Hopefully you all will as well. I hope to have a moment this weekend to build an Alpha and test it out!

#77 3 years ago

First test! Some bugs, mostly with light shows and multiball, but otherwise worked about like I wanted it to! So rewarding to start flipping a game you've been programming for a while.

The P3 SDK allows you to go from concept to execution extremely quickly.

IMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpgIMG_20200808_200008_704 (resized).jpg

#78 3 years ago

First test! Some bugs, mostly with light shows and multiball, but otherwise worked about like I wanted it to! So rewarding to start flipping a game you've been programming for a while.
The P3 SDK allows you to go from concept to execution extremely quickly.
[quoted image]

Ready to show off a quick video?

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ready to show off a quick video?

I fixed a couple of egregious bugs last night.

Today, I played at least 50 games in a row (and really loved it) - I hope others will enjoy it as well! I have a few improvements I'd like to make before filming, though.

#80 3 years ago

Made another build that fixed several of the outstanding issues and... I still really love it. Hard to stop playing, almost what I wanted from the game. Looking forward to sharing it, but with each new build, new bugs reveal themselves. Still deep in alpha.

#81 3 years ago

Looking rad! Can’t wait to see video

#82 3 years ago

Excited to see more of this, the potential for indie games on the P3 has me seriously thinking about getting one in the future (well, along with Heist). Really like the sounds of this so far.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Excited to see more of this, the potential for indie games on the P3 has me seriously thinking about getting one in the future (well, along with Heist). Really like the sounds of this so far.

Totally. Heist already sold me, and now i'm toying with starting up my own custom game - a music pin based on Rush!

#84 3 years ago

Video coming soon - I am still tweaking things and making it play well... but anecdotally... my family all played last night and loved it.

I wanted to see their reaction and get their input on a few things. I made some of the tweaks they suggested and they were all excellent.

While not every run will have ghost data written to the server, I pulled up a list, and of the 3 dozen or so games we played last night, 12 had ghost data written.

I've been testing various operator settings making sure the game is ready for anyone to drop in and play. You can now increase the number of balls per game above 3 if you prefer.

One still feels the most balanced to me. I may take another cue from EMs and change the point values based on the number of balls per game. That way your high score table won't have one score of 100,000 vs other average scores of 10,000 without merit. This is the type of tweaking I'm doing at this phase.

#85 3 years ago

Video coming soon - I am still tweaking things and making it play well... but anecdotally... my family all played last night and loved it.
I wanted to see their reaction and get their input on a few things. I made some of the tweaks they suggested and they were all excellent.
While not every run will have ghost data written to the server, I pulled up a list, and of the 3 dozen or so games we played last night, 12 had ghost data written.
I've been testing various operator settings making sure the game is ready for anyone to drop in and play. You can now increase the number of balls per game above 3 if you prefer.
One still feels the most balanced to me. I may take another cue from EMs and change the point values based on the number of balls per game. That way your high score table won't have one score of 100,000 vs other average scores of 10,000 without merit. This is the type of tweaking I'm doing at this phase.

Look forward to seeing more.

On the high score front I would think given modern technology that separate high score tables for each different number of balls per game would be easier and more appropriate. How many of those to have for all the different option configurations (extra balls on or not, etc) is another question. With the online gaming stuff happening with P3 is there a way to challenge a high score or another player and have it match all the game play settings to what the other player had? obviously can't match physical things like pitch (or can you????) and condition of game; how clean, what rubbers, etc, but at least have a quick way to at least have all the rules settings be the same. I think it would be a neat feature if it doesn't already have it.

#86 3 years ago

You can add a near-unlimited number of high score tables if you desire, but I like to keep things (like that) simple. It's more work up-front to balance scoring, but makes for a better, more easily understood experience, IMO.

I'm sure, if I were making a head-to-head game (or even a Mario Kart ghost track), I could match settings like that and prevent you from starting until they were adjusted. You can detect pitch as well. Other methods of detecting cheaters are also possible (I can think of a few ways to do it off the top of my head, and I'm sure the team at Multimorphic has a ton of thoughts on the matter).

#87 3 years ago

I've been working to bring a fairly reliable game to a small number of beta testers. Yesterday, I pushed a version out to one to start to accrue feedback which I will incorporate into the game.

Some great feedback and interesting bugs already! Gonna work through those and then bring the other testers on board.

#88 3 years ago

I've been working to bring a fairly reliable game to a small number of beta testers. Yesterday, I pushed a version out to one to start to accrue feedback which I will incorporate into the game.
Some great feedback and interesting bugs already! Gonna work through those and then bring the other testers on board.

Now I just need to save up for a P3....

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just need mine to be delivered!

What playfield does RITR require again ?

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What playfield does RITR require again ?

CCR

Quoted from Tsskinne:

Join usssssssss. When have I ever steered you wrong?

#91 3 years ago

CCR

Join usssssssss. When have I ever steered you wrong?

Never! But it is a lot of money up front, I realize the long term cost savings make it worth it, but hard for me to get to that ammount before buying something else...plus with bars on so many restrictions havenn't been making the pinball big bucks as of late.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

plus with bars on so many restrictions havenn't been making the pinball big bucks as of late.

Definitely understand - it's a wild time. That said... join us (and I hope you are well - great to hear you back on the airwaves recently).

#94 3 years ago

I see you

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#95 3 years ago

Tommy sell off some of those ~30 pins and clear some space/$$ for a P3. This is the way.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Never! But it is a lot of money up front, I realize the long term cost savings make it worth it, but hard for me to get to that ammount before buying something else...plus with bars on so many restrictions havenn't been making the pinball big bucks as of late.

I thought the same thing until I ran the numbers - if you look at a Stern LE
or a regular JJP game which is comparable in terms of quantity of features, it lines up quite well. Plus you can add a new game every so often. I’m already thinking about CCR

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I thought the same thing until I ran the numbers - if you look at a Stern LE
or a regular JJP game which is comparable in terms of quantity of features, it lines up quite well. Plus you can add a new game every so often. I’m already thinking about CCR

Oh I agree, but I'm not buying LEs or JJP games, I'm buying solid state project games and the occasional stern pro.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Oh I agree, but I'm not buying LEs or JJP games, I'm buying solid state project games and the occasional stern pro.

Copy that. Well ok - that’s definitely gonna be a price jump !

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Copy that. Well ok - that’s definitely gonna be a price jump !

Yeah, again though, not knocking the P3 at all, I totally see the value in the pricing. Just hard pill to swallow, once I make the jump I know it will be worth it.

#100 3 years ago

Sent a second beta test today... some of the release notes:

* Added menu item to turn off EBs
* Added menu item to turn off physical ball locks
* Added menu item to turn off instant multiball mode.

* Added intro movie (skippable by launch)
* Tilt ends game (but operates properly in a multiplayer game)
* Disabled tilt through (until launch).
* Added high score table for number of items collected
* Added backglass items collected/EB count.
* Graphical improvements
* Lots of reliability improvements and scoring fixes.

Planned feature improvements for next test:
* Score balancing based on number of balls 1-2, 3-4, 5+
* Improved shot score balance
* Physical ball lock improvements
* Light show improvements

I have one very minor known issue that I plan to fix, but haven't got that figured out just yet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 3.00
Cabinet - Other
Custom 3D Printing Pre-order!
Twisted Tokens
Other
€ 40.08
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Atelier Shop
Cabinet parts
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/p3-game-ranger-in-the-ruins/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.