(Topic ID: 49471)

Metallica Pinball Pro Videos v1.03 (UPDATED: NEW CODE V1.06 IN NOW)

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 701 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Having seen video of the Pro in action, keeping in mind this was a very small sample set of what the game as to offer, are you...”

• More excited then before? What a fantastic start on an early code version! Awesome! 104 votes
    40%
  • As excited as before? It's about what I thought and I can't wait to see it all fleshed out! 76 votes
    29%
  • Less excited then before? I hope I'm wrong but I was expecting more. 46 votes
    18%
  • Never was excited. From the announcement, the game really has done nothing for me personally. 32 votes
    12%

(258 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

700.png
metallica.jpg
wagon_train_photo_large.jpg
945371_575921269096103_1088880709_n.jpg
944502_10151586008299244_1715917137_n..jpg
James.jpg
Metalli-cow.png
IMAG1150.jpg
Metallica_PRO_Detail-6_webready.jpg
coil.JPG
8707442719_25e1ca1b7a_h.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#152 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

My dick got hard just watching them!

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Grave- (2 ball) Knock down the sequential drops and hit the cross twice. This does not carry over from ball to ball, so you have to do it all on one ball. Magnet holds ball for MB start.
Snake- Spell S-N-A-K-E. Each shot to the snake mouth awards one letter, light it and shoot to start.

Hmm, I'm excited about the game overall but both of these seem kinda lame to me, at least for now. I was really hoping the in-lines would be used for something more than "hit them over and over for multiball!" Also, if they must do only that, it seems like it would be a cool touch to have to lock a ball behind the in-lines (via the magnet back there) and then release it by bashing through the drops again to start multiball.

As for the snake, that just sounds like having to hammer on the the chest in Pirates of the Caribbean, aka the worst part of that game.

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Hmm, I'm excited about the game overall but both of these seem kinda lame to me, at least for now. I was really hoping the in-lines would be used for something more than "hit them over and over for multiball!" Also, if they must do only that, it seems like it would be a cool touch to have to lock a ball behind the in-lines (via the magnet back there) and then release it by bashing through the drops again to start multiball.
As for the snake, that just sounds like having to hammer on the the chest in Pirates of the Caribbean, aka the worst part of that game.

Moving snake head in the LE/Premium may add to it a bit, maybe like the up/down TOD scoop in IJ4, but currently you shoot the snake head, it gives you a letter and it spits it back out at you.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

These videos are very alarming to me. Nothing but shot rejects. The balls go up the pf and back down. In both videos combined, the right ramp is made only once. The left zero. He goes through multiball in both videos. On other fan layout games like acdc, afm, mb, if you get into a mb and just flail around you end up with successful ramp shots. Sure I didn't see him carefully aim for ramps but it didnt look like he was hitting *anything*.
Lets hope these videos aren't good or that these machines just aren't set up right. Because if this is the game, I think it'll be a bummer.
The animation and light show on the start of the mb was really neat even on the pro. That'll be fantastic on the premium.
Edit: I see the other slew of videos and a couple ramp shot combos in those and it looked smooth. So maybe a false alarm.

I was thinking the same thing.. a lot of rejects and everything just seems to spit the ball straight back down. The left shots seem kind of difficult also (left ramp, inline drops) and the ramp shot rejects the ball SDTM.

#156 10 years ago

Also, if they must do only that, it seems like it would be a cool touch to have to lock a ball behind the in-lines (via the magnet back there) and then release it by bashing through the drops again to start multiball.

That's a good idea. Perhaps there will be a future software update that has that feature. Very cool; release it like MIST would release on BSD.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

These videos are very alarming to me. Nothing but shot rejects. The balls go up the pf and back down. In both videos combined, the right ramp is made only once. The left zero. He goes through multiball in both videos. On other fan layout games like acdc, afm, mb, if you get into a mb and just flail around you end up with successful ramp shots. Sure I didn't see him carefully aim for ramps but it didnt look like he was hitting *anything*.

Lets hope these videos aren't good or that these machines just aren't set up right. Because if this is the game, I think it'll be a bummer.

Tight shots kill flow on games, no doubt. That is Avengers biggest problem in my mind; I had hoped they would have more open shots on Metallica, it looked like in the later videos they were hitting combos and what not more so those early videos may not be a good reflection of what we are to expect.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really hope that's not indicative of the play, because right now it looks kinda lame.

yep, let's hope the game is quicker with more to do as well..

#159 10 years ago

snl-church-lady.jpgsnl-church-lady.jpg tumblr_lt73jcqLnP1qfsvaqo1_500.jpgtumblr_lt73jcqLnP1qfsvaqo1_500.jpg

#160 10 years ago

Umm.......ok

#161 10 years ago

Seriously for now the only thing I care about is the structure and the flow in the pin. Leave it to Lyman to work on an outstanding code rules in the next months.

Ramp seems are to hit indeed but keep in mind they don't do much yet. It's a whole new pin so even I would try to get as many multiballs, explosions and fry that fu..ing Sparky.

I hate that stupid puppet so much I'm even looking foward for a 220 volts mode to cook him for good.

As someone said before maybe there is a family mode for language but try explaining to your 2 littles nieces that Sparky's eyes just blew out of their sockets to get some fresh air hahahahaha

Keep it adult that's the only way the make Metallica a winner or switch Dmd videos for little pony

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I was thinking the same thing.. a lot of rejects and everything just seems to spit the ball straight back down. The left shots seem kind of difficult also (left ramp, inline drops) and the ramp shot rejects the ball SDTM.

It is best to backhand the grave drops, because a hard shot from the right flipper comes back quick. The up post stops the orbit shots and sends it back down the way it came unless that shot is lit already for a combo continuation. That seemed odd. The right ramp is tight, but the shot is smooth when you hit it. The left ramp is just kind of in an odd place and takes a little while to get used to. The flow is a lot like Family Guy with a ramp on the right side too, instead of just an orbit. You could could literally shoot left ramp, right ramp, left orbit, meg shot, right orbit and it would be smooth if you hit your shots.

#163 10 years ago

All right can't keep it to myself anymore. There is no way in hell that pin can have a fast action packed flow like ACDC

Sorry, had to say it

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

All right can't keep it to myself anymore. There is no way in hell that pin can have a fast action packed flow like ACDC

Due to the tightness of the shots? I wouldn't judge it till you play it in person . . . but agree it doesn't look designed to be a "flow monster" so to speak, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be an awesome game.

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Due to the tightness of the shots? I wouldn't judge it till you play it in person . . . but agree it doesn't look designed to be a "flow monster" so to speak, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be an awesome game.

Derek's gonna be pissed.

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agree I'm seriously thinking about buying a dirty donny premium myself. Love the music, just need to implant it with modes and rule set. No problem there. Hey I own Avengers so don't tell me about hard tight shots I was looking for something real fast flowing for Metallica.

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Sorry, had to say it

It can have more.

AC/DC flow: Ramps, left orbit. That's it. Sometimes ramps divert to cannon. Right orbit always goes to jukebox saucer.

Metallica flow: Ramps all day long. Orbits...left and right. If the post is coming up there's a reason. It's a divertor and it can be programmed to not come up for flowy orbit action.

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really hope that's not indicative of the play, because right now it looks kinda lame.

So you're saying it looks lame based on shitty players and proto software. OK.

Try playing a new game for the first time on route. I guarantee you will suck. Hell, I play games that I OWN on route, and I suck. Something about playing at home on your own game...you'll always kick ass and make it look great. On route? SUUUUUCK.

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Sorry, had to say it

You'd have to admit that AC/DC at first is the same way when you don't know the shots! It takes a little while to learn the shots. I'm not convinced this game will or will not have flow, it's too early IMO.

#170 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

You'd have to admit that AC/DC at first is the same way when you don't know the shots! It takes a little while to learn the shots. I'm not convinced this game will or will not have flow, it's too early IMO.

Agree

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Try playing a new game for the first time on route. I guarantee you will suck. On route? SUUUUUCK.

Right on

#172 10 years ago

Am I the only one who is going to comment on the fact that everyone sounds like they live in the UP don't you know.

The game looks good so far. I'm surprised they didn't drop one on test at Game works yet.

It's about time you guys got lucky. Didn't seem like that whole Favre thing worked out the way everyone had planned.

Chris

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey now, OP went to great trouble to get that video for us . . . let's not make fun of his pinball skills.

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Am I the only one who is gong to comment on the fact that everyone sounds like they live in the UP don't you know.
The game looks good so far. I'm surprised they didn't drop one on test at Game works yet.
It's about time you guys got lucky. Didn't seem like that whole Favre thing worked out the way everyone had planned.
Chris

Favre worked out great, right up until he threw across his body instead of running for a first down and letting us kick the game winning field goal. It's okay, I'm used to the disappointment as a Vikings fan.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Pops build points up for the 4 different symbols and have a count down on each. Not sure of the significance yet.

I like that a lot! I like unique pops stuff like that....last game I can remember with individual pops rules was Elvis....maybe there was something more recent, I can't think of one though.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People have been known to base opinions on such things.

Maybe stronger flippers would help the ball make it up the ramps...

Just couldn't resist Greg

Love the way the game looks and the lighting effects, especially at the start of multiball.

I hope you don't have to be an expert player to get any flow though. As I posted when the first playfield pictures were revealed, the shots look tighter than No Fear. Which unless I'm really on, for me means...post, post, post, outlane.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hey now, OP went to great trouble to get that video for us . . . let's not make fun of his pinball skills.

95% of those videos are not of me, as I was filming and trying to post info and vids on pinside, so I don't take offense. My initial few games were in a crowded noisy bar where I could barely hear the game, with 5 other players, were played over 2 different code revisions and one foot as out the door the whole time as I *really* needed to get home and really shouldn't have been there to begin with...but I couldn't resist. I did throw up a 50 something million which seemed to be a pretty good score. There hasn't been a Stern pin made since RBION that can hold me down, so I'm sure I'll be giving it a good workover soon.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

You'd have to admit that AC/DC at first is the same way when you don't know the shots! It takes a little while to learn the shots.

The first time I played AC/DC ,I was disappointed.

The first time I played Avengers, I was disappointed.

They are now the two most played and loved games in my collection. It takes time to learn the shots and rules of the game. I have even had non pinball playing guest over that have said the same.

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

It's designed just like MB or AFM, it clearly has flow.

But yeah, some friends came over to play AC/DC for the first time, and one of them just could not make a shot or a ramp for sh*t...and it looked like my game was broken or weak-flippered!!! ...but then it was my turn and I rocked the sh*t out of it, so....I'm gonna sound like Jack now - but sometimes people's timing is off!!! LOL

#180 10 years ago

Thank you Les, I still want it but not as pumped up for it as I expected.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Try playing a new game for the first time on route. I guarantee you will suck. Hell, I play games that I OWN on route, and I suck. Something about playing at home on your own game...you'll always kick ass and make it look great. On route? SUUUUUCK.

Yeah, I'm not putting too much weight on this, it's just after watching video after video of balls clanging back or going part way up a ramp and rolling back down it's kinda hard to not get a little down on it. Still, I hear you. New pin, who knows how it's set up, who knows who was playing, definitely not reading overmuch.

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I like that a lot! I like unique pops stuff like that....last game I can remember with individual pops rules was Elvis....maybe there was something more recent, I can't think of one though.

IJ4 had them too to increase the jackpots for each individual multiball and mode...but I don't want to compare this to IJ4 and get people all nervous.

#183 10 years ago

Looks great. Thanks for posting all the videos!

#184 10 years ago

Yeah, that scares me too. Can't imagine Lyman doing a "Geneva" scoop.

#185 10 years ago

I played about 6 games ($4) on my way to the store for dinner.

Six low-scoring, forgettable games. Not enough to form any real opinion, other than I liked the music.

I would imagine that these new Stern pins would be a hell of a lot more fun sitting in your basement and set on Free Play... Now that's the proper way to review a new game!

I'm optimistic and will throw some more quarters in the game, but right now I feel a stronger pull towards the other older Sterns at Mortimers (Iron Man, Tron, LOTR, Transformers, ACDC, even X-Men). Speaking of music pins... whatever happened to Rolling Stones? I could shoot those ramps for what seemed like hours...

Thanks for all the videos LesManley. I'll have to study them to see what I was doing wrong!

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

I played about 6 games ($4) on my way to the store for dinner.
Six low-scoring, forgettable games.
I would imagine that these new Stern pins would be a hell of a lot more fun sitting in your basement and set on Free Play...
I'm optimistic and will throw some more quarters in the game, but right now I feel a stronger pull towards the other older Sterns at Mortimers (Iron Man, Tron, LOTR, Transformers, ACDC, even X-Men). Speaking of music pins... whatever happened to Rolling Stones? I could shoot those ramps for what seemed like hours...
Thanks for all the videos LesManley. I'll have to study them to see what I was doing wrong!

Stones got moved to the back room, then traded in. Tron and Sopranos are both back there now.

#187 10 years ago

Great videos, thanks. The dots look great!! No weaknesses in the layout that I can see; in fact I think it's better than IM in some ways.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Favre worked out great, right up until he threw across his body instead of running for a first down and letting us kick the game winning field goal.

In other words... Until he played like Favre.

#189 10 years ago

That turned out to be a great job on the next set of videos! thanks guys!

#190 10 years ago

Thanks for the videos! I like it. A lot!

Observations.

1. Animations are some of the coolest I have seen in a while.
2. COMBOS implemented.
3. Backhand shot to inline targets to cross. Cross has cool flasher too.
4. The shots are very Borg. His style is like Xmen. Some tight some not. But super rewarding.
5. Sparky is great idea. Are you kidding me! Looks amazing. It's sick!
6. Clear MB modes. 4 different ones plus. You choose your fate much like Acdc! Stackable?
7. This Needs LEDs and speaker upgrade. Much like acdc pro.
8. Rules are good start. Like the Bonus.
9. Super skills shot should be coming. Hold a flipper during launch and the orbit diverter should open like Tron.

These guys were pretty good players but like Acdc if you flail it will punish you. Ball control is key.

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I liked the way Doctor Who used the pops, to charge up a special target elsewhere on the playfield to hit for a big reward (the transmat for the extra doctor). DW has the best use of pops I have seen to date in pinball and am surprised another game hasn't emulated it.

#192 10 years ago

Thanks Les! I just watched all of the videos and I'm more stoked than ever to get my game. You guys were hitting the ramps a lot more than the comments here were leading me to believe. You weren't hitting ramp after ramp like MB, but people always complain about that game being too easy anyway. Game looks absolutely killer for a pro on early code. I can't wait to see the premium! Maybe I missed it, but does the cross itself actually illuminate or is it just a spot light? It seemed like it was glowing in the videos.

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Thanks Les! I just watched all of the videos and I'm more stoked than ever to get my game. You guys were hitting the ramps a lot more than the comments here were leading me to believe. You weren't hitting ramp after ramp like MB, but people always complain about that game being too easy anyway. Game looks absolutely killer for a pro on early code. I can't wait to see the premium! Maybe I missed it, but does the cross itself actually illuminate or is it just a spot light? It seemed like it was glowing in the videos.

It might have been glowing, that's a good question. Might have just had lamps behind it too. Whatever it was, that part looked really nice.

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Sorry, had to say it

Why do we need a game like ACDC, when we can just buy an ACDC?

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Why do we need a game like ACDC, when we can just buy an ACDC?

Because ACDC has ACDC's music in it.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It might have been glowing, that's a good question. Might have just had lamps behind it too. Whatever it was, that part looked really nice.

Entire light show looks killer, and more to come!

#197 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Exactly; ACDC is a great party metal band, but I was waiting for something a bit more thrash. Who would have ever thought Stern would cover multiple metal genres!

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

You say that like its a bad thing.

#199 10 years ago

My first post!!!

I had the chance to play the pro version tonight at my local arcade. I thought it was a really fun game (though my opinion may be biased since I've been a Metallica fan since I was a young'n).

I did have a lot of bricked shots at first, but after some practice I was able to hit the ramps without to much trouble. I found the graveyard drop shots to be the move difficult shots to hit (though I'm not very talented).

The tunes and the DMD's were awesome though!

#200 10 years ago

Can't wait to have this one next to my acdc!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,600 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pinball-pro-video-v103/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.