(Topic ID: 49471)

Metallica Pinball Pro Videos v1.03 (UPDATED: NEW CODE V1.06 IN NOW)

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 701 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Having seen video of the Pro in action, keeping in mind this was a very small sample set of what the game as to offer, are you...”

• More excited then before? What a fantastic start on an early code version! Awesome! 104 votes
    40%
  • As excited as before? It's about what I thought and I can't wait to see it all fleshed out! 76 votes
    29%
  • Less excited then before? I hope I'm wrong but I was expecting more. 46 votes
    18%
  • Never was excited. From the announcement, the game really has done nothing for me personally. 32 votes
    12%

(258 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

700.png
metallica.jpg
wagon_train_photo_large.jpg
945371_575921269096103_1088880709_n.jpg
944502_10151586008299244_1715917137_n..jpg
James.jpg
Metalli-cow.png
IMAG1150.jpg
Metallica_PRO_Detail-6_webready.jpg
coil.JPG
8707442719_25e1ca1b7a_h.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 10 years ago

Not my cuppa tea
Obviously I carnt hear the game cos the talking in the background

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Can't wait to have this one next to my acdc!!!!

Same

#203 10 years ago

OMFingGOD it looks good. Huge potential and I'm guessing they won't screw this one up.

#204 10 years ago

I made a pact I will only get this if it is better than IM. So far it does look good but not quite IM good!

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I made a pact I will only get this if it is better than IM. So far it does look good but not quite IM good!

Anythings better than IM

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I too think it looks slow.

All I see are brick shots & failed ramps... Maybe its the player

This game has a lot going for it on paper & in pics. Hopefully some more video restores some of my excitement!

I got 7K to spend. Those videos (although appreciated) have kept my 7K in my pocket...so far.

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

I got 7K to spend. Those videos (although appreciated) have kept my 7K in my pocket...so far.

Keep them handy they'll be flying out soon enough. I think it looks way cool, I haven't seen a Pro I would actually enjoy having in my house in awhile. I like that they are stepping up the quality and functions in there.

#208 10 years ago

I am baffled that some of you guys have never seen the game other than in a bar, with video taken from people who are new to it on a shaky phone and already writing it off. Must be a bunch of pros, I bet you are real fun to be around with lol

#209 10 years ago

Didn't want to buy any new STERN. Saw Metallica and I think it looks awesome. The layout looks like fun and it has cool toys. I sold my one and only SM and ordered a Metallica LE. Today the buyer for my SM will took it away from me and so I wanted to see some big flaws or things in the videos that would stop me from giving my SM away. But I still think this pin will be great and I have to have it. So farewell to the SM. :*(

It's to early to judge this game but until now, from what I have seen so far there is nothing wrong with it, nothing I don't like. I hope STERN will give Lyman enough time to make it great! Can't wait to play it. This summer I think I will have a cool line up of pins in my house: AC/DC, Metallica and WOZ.^^ I hope they will go well with each other.

#210 10 years ago

Like what I see so far and thanks for the vids.

Are there actual modes that can be completed? Looked like all of the completed lights at the bottom of the PF reset after each drain.

#211 10 years ago

I have to admit, I am slightly less excited about MET after watching the videos.

MNhotRod >> you have any insight to offer on it?

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I am baffled that some of you guys have never seen the game other than in a bar, with video taken from people who are new to it on a shaky phone and already writing it off. Must be a bunch of pros, I bet you are real fun to be around with lol

I've always felt the same way about these kind of things. Play it so you have an informed decision on a machine. And this is early code so there will be parts and pieces missing from it.

Chris

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to admit, I am slightly less excited about MET after watching the videos.
MNhotRod >> you have any insight to offer on it?

I'm the opposite. Didn't really have any feelings for it before the video. Now I like the look of it.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from spanks_4:

Like what I see so far and thanks for the vids.
Are there actual modes that can be completed? Looked like all of the completed lights at the bottom of the PF reset after each drain.

The 4 symbols are really the only modes that I saw so to speak. When you do certain things, those symbols light up on the different shots and shooting those shots must build towards completing those. As it sits right now though, I could be wrong, but I don't think that is totally implemented as shooting a lit shot doesn't seem to award anything really. You didn't get any real points for it and the DMD doesn't show anything when you do it.

#215 10 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the band, though I don't dislike them either. I'm saving my pennies for Star Trek, but this pin really looks great. Can't wait to see the Premium in action. Dots already may be the best ever. Some day I will have to get one. Fortunately they'll sell thousands of Metallica pins so they should be available. Once again they chose a great theme with worldwide appeal and developed a great game around it. Stern has a real hit on their hands.

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Anythings better than IM

Agree there... I just haven't cared for any of the recent past Stern's other than AC/DC, which I skipped to wait for Metallica. Now it looks like I'm going to be rewarded. The tiny lower playfield on AC/DC to me is such a waste of time, its not really pinball, and sort of gimmicky. I'd much rather have "real" pinball shots to hit, and it looks like MET is going to deliver. Count me as one of the extremely happy! I'll be hitting Mortimer's myself this afternoon to try it out first hand.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

+1

#218 10 years ago

I'd love to see a video of the start of a game. Do you get to choose from all 11 songs, or just the ones that aren't tied to multiballs? Are the mellow intros stripped out of the songs? I wonder how many of these will end up in strip clubs? Inquiring minds want to know!

#219 10 years ago

Update: Had to run before I was finished. See post later in this thread.

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Heh, let's be honest here, you're going to love this first as a Metallic fan, second as a pinball fan, right? (Nothing wrong with that!)

This is a pretty natural reaction. This game was hyped up to unreasonable levels based on basically nothing. A handful of still photos and the promise of some familiar, comfortable names. There really wasn't much chance of the first videos living up to that, a little let down as reality overruled the endless visions in people's heads was inevitable.

The game could still be great! Or it could turn out that it's just good. I'm pretty confident in at least that. I'm really hopeful that Stern is seeing the excitement on this one and realizing that people are eating up things like the hand drawn art (yes!) and original dot animations etc. There's no question, love or hate the art etc, that this is built on a really solid foundation. This is the direction I want to see them stay with.

As for the part that really counts, the gameplay? Hey, jury is out. I'm sure we'll see plenty more video soon, with new players and vibes.

#221 10 years ago

It seems like the band members modes are missing. There are a few based on the announce video

James in a hot rod
Robert surfing
Kirk turning into a werewolf (I think)
Giant Lars attacking a building

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

James in a hot rod
Robert surfing
Kirk turning into a werewolf (I think)
Giant Lars attacking a building

Correct none of these are implemented yet. Lots of dot place holders as well. Anytime you see generic text thats a place holder.

#223 10 years ago

Just to let everyone know, Lyman is working on Metallica "exclusively" for the next 2 months.
Code Updates on a regular basis

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

LMFAO !!

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Just to let everyone know, Lyman is working on Metallica "exclusively" for the next 2 months.
Code Updates on a regular basis

Awesome. Wonder what that means for Star Trek.

I hope we get some more acdc love between this two month run and Lyman starting on Trek.

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Awesome. Wonder what that means for Star Trek.
I hope we get some more acdc love between this two month run and Lyman starting on Trek.

It means Lyman will be working on Star Trek "exclusively" for 2 months after it is released.

#227 10 years ago

great light show (love the lights behind the back wall), love the GI turning off, love the animations, love the music. I hope a shitload of people buy this pin, so I can eventually save up enough to buy a used one someday. I have never been so impressed by Stern.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

The video provided in my post was raw footage. I never even looked at it prior to posting. Most of the games on video were our first plays, having just walked up to the machine and watching maybe two balls played by others prior to playing. People want to see what the game plays like, so I took video and provided it for others to see. I'm sorry some are jumping to the negative side of things after seeing the video. When Avengers Pro came out, I ran down to Mortimers and played it for two hours straight with no more than two of us on the game. I left hating it. With Metallica, I walked up to the machine, pulled out my GoPro and started taking video at random during our first games on the machine. The guy with the longest ball times in two of my videos, this was his first and second game, having just walked up to it. LesManley and one other player had a few games on the machine prior, and that's it. Of the other four people playing the machine, none of us had seen anyone play it before.

so, did you like it? Tell us about your experience please? Pros/ Cons after just a few times playing?

#229 10 years ago

The pro model looks really nice! Cant wait to see how the premium plays. Metallica pro looks like the most feature rich non premium yet.

#230 10 years ago

A little background on the video I posted. When I arrived, two people had maybe three games on the machine. They were installing v1.03 code when I arrived so I  took off my jacket and waited for the code. As soon as the gameplay started, I pulled out my camera and started taking video. Video was taken with a GoPro that i had just picked up at the store minutes prior. I have zero experience with using a GoPro and didn't review any of the video prior to posting it. I haven't found time yet to even watch any of it.

I hope that sets the stage for what you see in the video. Most of us just walked up to the machine, having not seen any game play on it prior, and just started banging away to learn the machine.

In the pole, my vote was "More excited than before. What a fantastic start on an early code version. Awesome!"

I had opportunity to play the game, and watch others play the game for two hours. I got maybe ten games on the machine before I had to leave. The artwork on the playfield and plastics is fantastic.  It is the most personally desirable artwork on a game I have ever seen. I am a hot rod guy that grew up with Rat Fink style art. They absolutely nailed it with this game.

When Avengers Pro came to Mortimers, I ran down and played it right when it got there. I played it for two hours and tried my best to like the game. It felt cheap, I didn't like playing it, I pretty much hated it.

Fast forward to Metallica Pro. I walked in with high expectations. I wanted the art to be as great as I was expecting it to be. I wanted the game to be high quality with a solid feel like a Bally Williams game in their prime. I have a lot of time on ACDC and I wanted it to be better. Stern hit the mark on everything. We are on early code here. ACDC was not the game it is now when it was released. It gets better with each code release. If Stern follows the same path with Metallica, I think we have a Top 10 game here.

With ACDC, everybody says you need to get a Premium over a Pro. Having played both, I agree. Having played Metallica Pro, you won't have to hold out for a Premium to get a great game.

Off to figure out how I'm going to pay for a Metallica Pro.

#231 10 years ago

I'm iffy on the ac/dc pro vs prem thing still. I have a lot of time on a premium and really love it, but the only thing that I would miss on the pro is the cross over ramp to be honest, but that's just me trying to save a few thousand dollars.

Now metallica I think the pro will hold its own and will be much better than ac/dc if lyman does great with the code stuff.

#232 10 years ago

I voted "as excited."

In reality, I'm slightly less excited; watching video has brought back the realization that it is in fact a Stern game, and Sterns tend to feel a bit cheap to me. It's also reminded me there are some elements that I don't love from AC/DC and other Stern music pins. That said, the execution seems good overall.

#233 10 years ago

Thanks for the Gopro video. I have a Gopro and it is not easy to use. If you can, buy the suction mount and attached to glass between the flippers it is awesome.

Question.

How does the cab art look in person?

The translite looks too light. It looks whited out in several pics. Is it just the camera?

I bet it makes some cash at the bar.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from HelloMarc:

My first post!!!
I had the chance to play the pro version tonight at my local arcade. I thought it was a really fun game (though my opinion may be biased since I've been a Metallica fan since I was a young'n).
I did have a lot of bricked shots at first, but after some practice I was able to hit the ramps without to much trouble. I found the graveyard drop shots to be the move difficult shots to hit (though I'm not very talented).
The tunes and the DMD's were awesome though!

Welcome to the forums! Where's your local arcade?

#235 10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to video & upload Metallica

You are a valuable Pinsider

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

How does the cab art look in person?
The translite looks too light. It looks whited out in several pics. Is it just the camera?

Cab art looks great. Playfield has so much going on, you can look at it for an hour just to take it all in. If the translite looks lite in the video, it is because the bar was not lit well. The lights in the backbox must have washed out the video. I took a couple pics with my phone. Let me dig them up.

More photos in link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/sets/72157633418729748/show/

IMG_0698.jpgIMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0699.JPGIMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0705.jpgIMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0704.jpgIMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0712.jpgIMG_0712.jpg

#237 10 years ago

Thanks for posting these. I was wondering what that was between the flippers.

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Cab art looks great. Playfield has so much going on, you can look at it for an hour just to take it all in. If the translite looks lite in the video, it is because the bar was not lit well. The lights in the backbox must have washed out the video. I took a couple pics with my phone. Let me dig them up.

Translite doesn't look washed out during normal play. The camera and flash do that, it looked really good in person. Same thing with playfield art, a lot going on and it looked good.

#239 10 years ago

Love the stock cliffy around the snake

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Snake shot is surprisingly smooth. It has a little lip, but the ball goes in almost like the snake is swallowing it. No bounce outs or rejections at all.

#241 10 years ago

The hungy snake still have his fangs?

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

The hungy snake still have his fangs?

Thank you for the video, and this is a question I am sure we are all curious about... durability of the mouth after a few thousand plays

#243 10 years ago

My crude photoshop of the playfield stitched together...

8707442719_25e1ca1b7a_h.jpg8707442719_25e1ca1b7a_h.jpg

#244 10 years ago

Inlane/outlane art is fantastic. I'm pretty stoked to see one of these in person.

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

good catch, didn't notice that.

#246 10 years ago

I'm aware many games resemble other games that's just a fact of life but...

The layout does certainly remind me of FGY as mentioned in this or one of the other threads.

Captive & Scoop side by side on right
Same orbits (duh)
Similar Meg shot
Same left ramp
Sparky = Brian beer can bash
Cross drops similar to fart drops but different orientation

I do however see another scoop on the right, fuel target instead of 3rd flipper, 2 cool magnets & a ramp on the right replacing the Stewie PF.

Hmmm, should be different enough for me to keep both lol

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I was wondering the same thing, and am very pleased with what I see. Thanks for the pics!

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

So those eyes between the flippers are the shoot again/ball save indicators, right?

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I'm aware many games resemble other games that's just a fact of life but...
The layout does certainly remind me of FGY as mentioned in this or one of the other threads.
Captive & Scoop side by side on right

Except there are 2 scoops and one captive.

Quoted from PW79:

Same orbits (duh)

Nope, FGY only has one orbit (Lois) and it feeds to an upper flipper (or lower if you let it go). If you shoot the Chris shot, it's not an orbit, it hits a target and comes back to the upper flipper.

Quoted from PW79:

Similar Meg shot

Meg bounces back to the playfield. Metallica's shot feeds to the inlane.

Quoted from PW79:

Same left ramp

Eh.

Quoted from PW79:

Sparky = Brian beer can bash

Not really, further back w/ optos, a target, and a magnet.

Quoted from PW79:

Cross drops similar to fart drops but different orientation

Lane with inline drops revealing a target & magnet isn't really anything like FGY's drop bank which is relatively hard to hit.

Quoted from PW79:

I do however see another scoop on the right, fuel target instead of 3rd flipper, 2 cool magnets & a ramp on the right replacing the Stewie PF.
Hmmm, should be different enough for me to keep both lol

There ya go

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, let's be honest here, you're going to love this first as a Metallic fan, second as a pinball fan, right? (Nothing wrong with that!)
This is a pretty natural reaction. This game was hyped up to unreasonable levels based on basically nothing. A handful of still photos and the promise of some familiar, comfortable names. There really wasn't much chance of the first videos living up to that, a little let down as reality overruled the endless visions in people's heads was inevitable.
The game could still be great! Or it could turn out that it's just good. I'm pretty confident in at least that. I'm really hopeful that Stern is seeing the excitement on this one and realizing that people are eating up things like the hand drawn art (yes!) and original dot animations etc. There's no question, love or hate the art etc, that this is built on a really solid foundation. This is the direction I want to see them stay with.
As for the part that really counts, the gameplay? Hey, jury is out. I'm sure we'll see plenty more video soon, with new players and vibes.

Youve got a good point about expectations and true, I was all in regardless of what it looked like/what music was included, knowing I could sell it if I was dissapointed. Although I used to be a huge pinball/video game in the past, I have no real idea what the best pins are nowadays so I guess some can use those games as a point of reference to nitpick Metallica, but I just dont quite understand some of the comments based on absolutely nothing more than one shaky video. Please, dont let these people be on a jury, should I be accused of wrong doing based on TMC news reports haha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pinball-pro-video-v103/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.