(Topic ID: 49471)

Metallica Pinball Pro Videos v1.03 (UPDATED: NEW CODE V1.06 IN NOW)

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 701 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Having seen video of the Pro in action, keeping in mind this was a very small sample set of what the game as to offer, are you...”

• More excited then before? What a fantastic start on an early code version! Awesome! 104 votes
    40%
  • As excited as before? It's about what I thought and I can't wait to see it all fleshed out! 76 votes
    29%
  • Less excited then before? I hope I'm wrong but I was expecting more. 46 votes
    18%
  • Never was excited. From the announcement, the game really has done nothing for me personally. 32 votes
    12%

(258 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

700.png
metallica.jpg
wagon_train_photo_large.jpg
945371_575921269096103_1088880709_n.jpg
944502_10151586008299244_1715917137_n..jpg
James.jpg
Metalli-cow.png
IMAG1150.jpg
Metallica_PRO_Detail-6_webready.jpg
coil.JPG
8707442719_25e1ca1b7a_h.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 10 years ago

Rare are you likely getting one?

#252 10 years ago

Great Pictures too. WICKED Dirty Don art all over. Funny how you said you could look at it for hours! Love the WINGED SKULL with eyes that light up by the flippers! Did not see that on Stern stock photos.

Love how the entire GI cuts out when Sparky is zapped during MB as seen by your video.

#253 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Meg bounces back to the playfield. Metallica's shot feeds to the inlane.

I don't remember it feeding the inlane, I think it feeds to the flipper while going over the sling.

#254 10 years ago

Nice.
So why "early code version" ?
Why aren't they rady to go with games fully dialed in?

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from GUMBO:

Nice.

It shipped with 1.0 which was the most they had when building the games to ship. Lyman reached out and wanted to make sure we had the most current code that was available and got us v1.03 to install. Apparently only 4 Pros have shipped to places in the US right now, so he was trying to do everyone a favor and get it to us.

#256 10 years ago

OK Im new here, I got to get familiar with all the lingo. Inlane, orbit, GI, etc etc..

#257 10 years ago

animations look really cool!

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

OK Im new here, I got to get familiar with all the lingo. Inlane, orbit, GI, etc etc..

http://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php

#259 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Inlane - where the ball feeds to the flippers. Outlane is where it drains.

Orbit - Usually a far left or right shot that 'orbits' around and comes back to the flipper

GI - General Illumination....all the bulbs on top of the playfield.

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from GUMBO:

Nice.

Hahahahhaaaaa....ohhhh....welcome to pinball.

#261 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Rare are you likely getting one?

Yup, done deal. LE.

#262 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hahahahhaaaaa....ohhhh....welcome to pinball.

Would you like a 20 year old game, with all the issues that come with it being that old?

Or perhaps you'd like a brand new game, fresh out of the box, with all the issues that come with it being that new?

#263 10 years ago

Not 1 ramp shot made in that 2min 47sec video even with a multi-ball.I am concerned

#264 10 years ago

Thanks guys, now to study!

#265 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Not 1 ramp shot made in that 2min 47sec video even with a multi-ball.I am concerned

Don't be. I'm a pretty average player and spent some time with the same machine this afternoon and the ramps were not an issue. The right in particular I could hit with some consistency, and there were a number of times I was able to get 3 or 4 shot ramp combos going. They are quite hittable.

#266 10 years ago

I think the vids look pretty cool, the one thing I noticed - and maybe I'm wrong; but it looks like the game may not have been set up steep enough. Did anyone playing it notice if the bubble level was right on where it should be?

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

Don't be. I'm a pretty average player and spent some time with the same machine this afternoon and the ramps were not an issue. The right in particular I could hit with some consistency, and there were a number of times I was able to get 3 or 4 shot ramp combos going. They are quite hittable.

Good to hear!

I'm kinda surprised Stern hasn't done an official video yet, they're letting shaky-cam footage in dim lighting with unknown players (thanks for the video though!) dictate the real first impressions of their game. Not the most on-point PR move.

The code is still new, they're scrambling, I get it, but still, edit together some footage with nice lighting. Record a few angles, do a lot of fast cuts, and you can basically show off just the most solid stuff without too much trouble. There's obviously plenty of great visuals even at this stage to put center-stage.

#268 10 years ago

I went and played Metallica today at Morts and it was pretty good. I liked the game overall. I did not like how tight the left orbit was. And I didn't really like the slope of the ramps. When you hit the ramps, even perfectly, they just didn't have the "smooth" feeling. I feel they are just a bit too steep. Maybe it's just me....

The game is good in my opinion....not great.....but it was good.

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

try this one

video 6 - nailing a four ramp shots in 10 seconds - they play fast
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ygKTfy0nTdM?autoplay=1&rel=0

#270 10 years ago

All this talk of tight shots is making me squirm. If this does not change I may just sell my MOP (don't pm me yet). I love the music and will wait for more feedback at this point. Videos look great and I want to turn it up loud and play, hope the shots end up being fun. Sparky looks to be a great toy and the lighting effects already look good.

#271 10 years ago

If you want to fit 10 shots on a 2 flipper game they are going to be a little tight but I wouldn't worry too much .

aCDC bell is tight and its a great shot!

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

All this talk of tight shots is making me squirm. If this does not change I may just sell my MOP (don't pm me yet)

Umm.............. you might want to play it before you make a rash statement like that? Crazy people already talking about selling a game they've never even played.

#273 10 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

Umm.............. you might want to play it before you make a rash statement like that? Crazy people already talking about selling a game they've never even played.

Crazy people buying a game they havent played...

Crazy people selling a game they havent played...

I'm waiting until the code is worthy. No way in hell I'm buying a game incomplete, thats CRAZY!

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Crazy people buying a game they havent played...

Crazy people selling a game they havent played...

Actually that's perfectly accurate!!!

#275 10 years ago

As long as the shots aren't as tight as Avengers I will be happy.

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

If you want to fit 10 shots on a 2 flipper game they are going to be a little tight but I wouldn't worry too much .
aCDC bell is tight and its a great shot!

I counted 11:

* behind FUEL
* FUEL targets
* left orbit
* graveyard
* left ramp
* Sparky
* captive ball
* snake
* right ramp
* right orbit
* Mystery scoop

That's right, Metallica goes to 11! For comparison, here's No Fear with only 10:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2852&picno=6659&zoom=1

And I thought those shots were tight!

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Watch the other 13 vids - plenty of combos were made.

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I counted 11:
* behind FUEL
* FUEL targets
* left orbit
* graveyard
* left ramp
* Sparky
* captive ball
* snake
* right ramp
* right orbit
* Mystery scoop
That's right, Metallica goes to 11! For comparison, here's No Fear with only 10:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2852&picno=6659&zoom=1
And I thought those shots were tight!

I'll have to jam a game between No Fear and Metallica so it doesn't seem too 'samey'.

#279 10 years ago

Vid 10 and 13 are a couple of my fav's.

#280 10 years ago

D&G told me today that it looks like Stern had the incorrect coil in there, so that might be some of the ramp problem too. He sent me this...

"Looks like the wrong coils were installed from the factory. Top is Metallica (labeled incorrectly as 23-900 like LOTR). Bottom is standard sized coil that I swapped in."

coil.JPGcoil.JPG

#281 10 years ago

Did the operator replace the flashers or are they LEDs by default?

#282 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Did the operator replace the flashers or are they LEDs by default?

He replaced them. He swapped out some bulbs for LEDs right away. He also just fixed a stuck drop target and tightened the outlanes today.

#283 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did you get an LE from the fan club?

#284 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

As long as the shots aren't as tight as Avengers I will be happy.

You should be fine then .... because they're tighter

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

You should be fine then .... because they're tighter

Oh man, no way would they make a game with tighter shots than Avengers. Honestly, I like Avengers but when I play it I just feel like I suck. I'm hoping Metallica has some flow and tight tight shots kill flow.

#286 10 years ago

Thought I'd chime in.. I played Metallica at Mort's tonight as well - got about 20 games in (there was some dude hogging it for most of the night). The majority of the first few games were brickfests (I'm not a good player by any stretch), but towards the end I started to get into a groove and the ramp shots became much easier. It does have good flow once you get the shots down. Also, it did feel more solid and less "plastic-y" compared to previous Sterns (I'm more of a B/W guy), which is great. Sparky is way less cheap than I had anticipated. Although I will mention that there is an ACDC premium at Mort's too.. I played it immediately following and I'm not sure Metallica will be able to top it as ACDC seems to be more complex layout-wise. My 2 cents.

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from funchaser:

Thought I'd chime in.. I played Metallica at Mort's tonight as well - got about 20 games in (there was some dude hogging it for most of the night). The majority of the first few games were brickfests (I'm not a good player by any stretch), but towards the end I started to get into a groove and the ramp shots became much easier. It does have good flow once you get the shots down. Also, it did feel more solid and less "plastic-y" compared to previous Sterns (I'm more of a B/W guy), which is great. Sparky is way less cheap than I had anticipated. Although I will mention that there is an ACDC premium at Mort's too.. I played it immediately following and I'm not sure Metallica will be able to top it as ACDC seems to be more complex layout-wise. My 2 cents.

I would say ACDC's layout is more simple, less tightly packed which means it feels buttery smooth. The last few Stern's especially XM and AV are too tightly packed and unless you bring an A game, you get a ton of missed shots.

Sometimes less is more.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from funchaser:

Really Metallica has like twice the amount of shots that ACDC does

#289 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Txs again for posting videos.
My dick got hard just watching them!
Top 5 for sure lol! Maybe greatest of all time at least it's no girly woz pin

Glad you got a boner, because you're about to get screwed from the looks of those vids.

They remind me of the first WOZ videos where the ball was just putzing around in slow motion for 2 minutes of dud shots and ramp rollbacks.

#290 10 years ago

Ohh man here we go again just because someone is hooting and not hitting shots lets call the game slow. You can tell just from looking at the layout that the gameplay will be fast and furious. Any true pinball player can tell that.

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

D&G told me today that it looks like Stern had the incorrect coil in there, so that might be some of the ramp problem too. He sent me this...
"Looks like the wrong coils were installed from the factory. Top is Metallica (labeled incorrectly as 23-900 like LOTR). Bottom is standard sized coil that I swapped in."

Glad this appears to be the issue with the lack of power in some of those videos. I did really look reminiscent of earlier WOZ designs where it was tough to make it up the ramp without a perfect shot. I am looking forward to hearing reviews from PaulyB and Conrad as I know they were able to stop by and play a few games yesterday.

#292 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Ohh man here we go again just because someone is hooting and not hitting shots lets call the game slow. You can tell just from looking at the layout that the gameplay will be fast and furious. Any true pinball player can tell that.

It seems pretty clear that the coils were underpowered (hence the need to swap in the correct coil).

One thing we CAN all tell is that you will hype and diffuse on every new Stern to no end.

IMHO >>Yet another example of why those whom have a vested interest in a game selling well (because they are either a distributor, flipper, or large retailer) should be labeled as such on pinside. It really gives the discussion more value when others can read a post and better understand possible motives behind talking points (or business affiliation).

#293 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Acdc has the ones they sent you which make my Acdc rip.

#294 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

#295 10 years ago

I think most of this is just not making good shots, could be bad playing or flippers not set properly, etc. if Elwin was playing everyone would be saying how much flow it has and it's the fastest stern ever. I'll wait till I play it to judge.

#296 10 years ago

One thing I noticed was that in a lot of the videos people weren't cradling the ball at all. Lots of on the fly shooting, which I think was making it hard to nail shots.

#297 10 years ago

Premium/LE will be so much better, just like AC/DC Premium kills the Pro.

#298 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

AC/DC uses part #090-5032 (22-1080) which is a fairly common/standard sized flipper coil in newer Sterns, not the smaller coil that I have pictured above that was installed in Metallica from the factory. I ended up swapping out the smaller coils for 090-5032's like are in AC/DC. I don't have any 090-5020's (23-900) at the moment to use, but I will call Chas on Monday to figure out what the deal is. It may be the case that they want the smaller coils in there, which would mean that the coil itself is mislabeled and the manual is incorrect...doubtful.

After installing the bigger coils I added more pitch to the game (it was slightly shallow due to the ramp difficulty) and it seemed to play much faster after these changes. More flow to the ramps as well when made. Disabling the orbit up-post for now also helps with the flow and makes the skill shot just that, based on skill.

Thanks to everyone for checking the game out!

John
D&G Amusement

#299 10 years ago

Better than XM ? Shotwise only of course, forget rules for a sec. Does it shoot better than XM? If it turns out to be a borg expert shotfest...I will be disappointed. AC/DC really feels better to me than XM. Someone who has played all three make the comparison of all three please If it's a really tight shooter, more akin to XM and TAV , well I need to find a way to play one. Pinball desert!

#300 10 years ago

I'm not sure the Premium will be better than the Pro, in this case. The hammer and the physical ball locks will be fun to watch, but they won't add anything to the gameplay. And the Pro is so loaded, I think the hammer will just make it look cluttered.

Comparing MET and ACDC Pro models, you get a lot more for your money with MET. There's nothing on MET that's constructed from plastics; everything is custom-molded and beautiful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pinball-pro-video-v103/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.