• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

arezzq (resized).jpg
a1rezzzz (resized).jpg
#1 10 years ago

When I install LED #89 Flash Bulbs in my Firepower, they are always on and only flash slightly. I looked at the circuit and believe if I disconnect the 330 ohm 2 watt resistor, the LEDs will flash properly.

1) Am I thinking right?
2) What is the purpose of this resistor? It just seems to be a waste of current through the bulbs.

Thanks for the help!

#2 10 years ago

The resistor is called a "warming resistor", it keeps some current flowing to the bulb and keeps it warm. If the bulb had to take the full load when it was cold the bulb would burn out. Snip one leg of the resistor at the mid point and let it hang and try it. I had to do it to my Space Shuttle for the flashers to work properly. But please wait till someone with more experience confirms this. I've only done this once but I think I'm rite.

#3 10 years ago

I believe you need to clip/ remove the big under playfield resister (can't remember the size off the top of my head. Williams put the big resister under the playfield because a small amount of voltage is always applied to the lighting circuit so the regular incandescent bulbs could respond faster to input when they are activated. Without the small amount of constant current the regular bulbs didn't react (turn on) fast enough during gameplay. The resistor is there to stop the regular incandescent bulbs from glowing from the current. LED bulbs on the other hand are always on, or off without any dimming capabilities, that's why your bulbs are always on. If you can get a copy of clays repair guides, he talks about the big resistor and what it does.

#4 10 years ago

Yep. Warming resistor. Keep incandescent filament warmed up. You should be able to see a slight glow on the incandescent filament when the machine is on. If you don't, you either have a blown bulb depending upon the game, (multiples on the same circuit are wired in series), old bulb that needs replacing or bad warming resistor (very common.) Warming resistor provides for brighter flashing and extends bulb life. With the warming resistor installed current is always flowing to the flash lamp socket - enough to turn on an LED. Remove it to make a LED work correctly. You can just cut it off as even if you would ever want to go back to incandescent, its best to go to a 5w resistor. Last one I changed literally fell apart in my fingers it was so bad.

viperrwk

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys! I unsoldered one end of the virtually brand new 3 W flameproof resistor and the LED flash bulbs are working perfectly!

6 months later
#6 10 years ago

Are you able to send a picture of this please.

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

I clipped the end of the warming resistor attached to the black wire and now my LED flashers don't fire at all.

http://img-f.pinside.com/201405/1663301/236027-i.jpg

Picture courtesy of Jumping-Box on the other FP thread.

3 years later
#8 6 years ago

Is this a 1 ohm 1/2w resistor for the firepower flash lamp board? I know the big one is 330ohm.
thanks!

a1rezzzz (resized).jpga1rezzzz (resized).jpg

arezzq (resized).jpgarezzq (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Yep! That is a 1 ohm 1/2 watt. You can go bigger on the wattage but they typically don't burn up like the warming resistor.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Yep! That is a 1 ohm 1/2 watt. You can go bigger on the wattage but they typically don't burn up like the warming resistor.

Thanks Schwaggs! Talking about a needle in a haystack. Amazing amount of dead stuff on the 37 yr. old firepower.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-flash-bulbs-89-in-firepower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.