(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago

I played both for the first time last weekend. Hobbit is a fantastic looking game - perhaps the best looking pin to date. I don't know why it was hidden in the back corner of TPF. Gameplay felt like an older SS pin. I enjoyed playing it but wouldn't call it exciting or challenging. The upper flipper is pretty much for show and didn't feel it had any shots other than the stand up targets which are easy to hit from any flipper. Lines were not too long but I never felt like waiting in line again. I would like to play it again but not going out of my way to do so.

GB was a looker as well. Colors really popped and the playfield screamed fun with the great toys. Gameplay was fast, exciting, and missed shots often resulted in drains. Code and dots were fun as expected from Ghostbusters theme. For me, this felt like more what modern pinball should be minus the ugly red display. Long lines were consistent all weekend at TPF. I waited 3 times to play it. People were taking pictures of the game and walking away from it smiling. Both games were hammered constantly all weekend and don't think there was one issue. The clear winner in my book. Add in that GB was just announced, demo'd, and will go on sale soon. Hobbit has been in production for years, had many issues, and who knows how long it will take to get out all the preorders.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Not sure what you mean by this, but I am going to pretend you are not insulting me....... My wife and I have been married for 26 years, and have 7 biological children of our own. We then decided to get into foster care, because we love kids and wanted to help others less fortunate then us. We have adopted 3 siblings from that system whose father was incarcerated, and mother is an addict...........When they arrived at our house they would put blankets over their heads and rock against the wall....I have come to learn that neglect is far more destructive then abuse....In the past 3 years they have excelled in our home.
So yeah,....I know what birth control is, and I have 10 kids,......and you know what??? We want more!....What have you done for someone else lately?

I don't think anyone meant to be insulting. I have triplets and some people's response to that is negative like it's a bad thing. That's just some people's initial response and not meant to be insulting. Same sort of thing when people rag on their spouse. I don't like that sort of thing but it's usually It's great what you are doing giving those kids a better life - especially taking in all the siblings at once. Do you think pinball is therapeutic in any way? Maybe kids are different these days but it was always exciting to walk into an arcade with all the sights and sounds.

#203 8 years ago

Gameplay > display. I played all the new games at TPF. Every game looked great with colorful art, bright leds, loaded rules, and in general fun to play. All had color displays except Stern. Hard to beat TH's gorgeous hd display but even colored dots on MMr looked great. GB was still my favorite to play but the display is still an eyesoar. It's a letdown because the rest of the game is amazing. To Stern's credit, GB is cheaper than other new games and will be on sale shortly after being announced.

#326 8 years ago

I think GB and all the other new pin development stole a lot of TH's thunder. It's been out at shows for a few years so don't think there is much new to talk about other then they are starting to ship. Even after the long delay, there seems to be a variety of issues to limit excitement. At this point, I think you really have to be a fan of JJP and the theme to be excited about TH. I think GB did a better job gaining interest from the less serious pin crowd and those not that into the theme.

1 month later
#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I played both that were side by side at the Michigan VFW show also. I understand how the traditional pinball purists would not like TH because of the change that it brings. I also understand that some people are loyal to Stern. Price is also a factor that effects opinions. But ... for some of us independent pinball geeks at the show, TH had a much better response for those that played both. People in the short line to try GB had their eyes on TH gameplay, not GB. People walking away were saying they like TH better and smiling as they walked away. My wife and I also liked TH way more than GB. The theatrical experience with the sounds, light show, call outs, and excellent sounding music was fantastic and complement the great gameplay and modes. For those that don't desire that type of experience, I can understand not liking it. GB attracted me because of early responses in this thread and the theme/title, but was a disappointment to me. We can have different opinions and agree to disagree. No need to get uptight and defensive about opinions. I think pinball shows should have the top machines of the time period side by side for this kind of comparision. "The pinball challenge" instead of the Pepsi challenge.

Interesting. I saw the exact opposite at TPF. Lines were long for GB all weekend and people seemed really into it. Lines for TH were about on par with other new games like MMr, TBL, FT, etc. That was when GB was first announced so I guess the buzz has died down and many have already played it on location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.