Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 808 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8119 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8137 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8120 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8241 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8239 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8235 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8233 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8090 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8089 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8088 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7996 (resized).jpeg
    There are 808 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.
    #601 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

My Lowe's had a bunch of Krylon on clearance yesterday. Maybe something to it??

Uh oh, we’ll have to stay tuned. I don’t know how long a new spray can lasts in terms of shelf life but I might think about stocking up on the white. They go fast.

#602 10 months ago

Someone dropped off something for me to look at fixing, to pick away at. I’ve learned a lot so far. Here’s the underside of the playfield if anyone can take a guess at what type of game this is. I think I’ll be making a video for this fix as I talk my way through it. Never worked on something like this before. The wires that are sticking up more than the rest are bad solder connections.

I better have it done before the garage gets too cold in the winter cause I’m not working on this thing in the cold.

IMG_2410 (resized).jpegIMG_2410 (resized).jpeg
    #603 10 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

if anyone can take a guess at what type of game this is.

Bingo Table ?

LTG : )

#604 10 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Bingo Table ?
    LTG : )

Close….in some regards. Tonight I learned it operates on a similar theory.

#605 10 months ago

Lloyd is stumped and I have no clue.

#606 10 months ago

Each of those coils is a ball popper.

I haven’t figured out why..yet. But the machine wants to know that every ball popper plunger has returned down to its home position via a switch closure which are the wires i am working on above. Reminds me of the earlier drop target wirings on a pin.

The two problems with this game as it was told to me:

1) not all ball positions register which is why I have the playfield out.

2) The bonus collection button doesn’t work. When you achieve a certain sequence a bonus unlocks and you have to press a button to collect a bonus. It was at this point I realized there is a searching motor that should always be running (which reminded me of a bingo)…which is enabled when the bonus collection relay is at rest. Maybe this is blocking the ability to collect the bonus? The bonus collection buttons are the same as the metal flipper buttons on WMS pinballs from the 60s!

Now that I got the search motor going I can try the bonus again. That will be for a different day. Need something to draw me into this game again sooner

IMG_2364 (resized).jpegIMG_2364 (resized).jpeg
    #607 10 months ago

Cool, wouldn't have guessed that.

1 week later
    #608 10 months ago

Not much done in the last week. It’s been hot outside and busy at work. Today I was able to visit our friend Jeff’s collection. Mostly EMs in great shape.

IMG_2652 (resized).jpegIMG_2652 (resized).jpeg

So close…

IMG_2651 (resized).jpegIMG_2651 (resized).jpeg

I put up a couple decent scores…

IMG_2655 (resized).jpegIMG_2655 (resized).jpegIMG_2649 (resized).jpegIMG_2649 (resized).jpeg

I really want that Time Zone. I need to cough up my super score for that. Can’t do it.

IMG_2658 (resized).jpegIMG_2658 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #609 9 months ago

Weather is finally suitable for painting again!

Second to the last base coat for Stars, 4 Square and Big Shot have been applied. No pics since they basically look the same as before.

However....

I finally made my first attempt at webbing. I bought all the supplies for making a custom mixture and then noticed Krylon's Marbleizing Spray. This one is called Black Lava. I think they have some other colors too.

A big thanks to RobOKC for some advice on
    -lay the surface flat
    -apply while your base coat is still tacky
    -spray from 12" away

Top left I was closer to 2 feet away and went clockwise and inward slowly getting closer. I'd be alright a little closer than 12" too.

IMG_2962 (resized).jpegIMG_2962 (resized).jpeg
    #610 9 months ago

Hey...just popping in to see if you guys have gotten organized yet, or something. The upvote thread has gotten so frigging stale with all their organic foods talk, I figured anything going on here had to be more exciting. Hope you're doing well, Monkey Boy. I miss you.

#611 9 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey...just popping in to see if you guys have gotten organized yet, or something. The upvote thread has gotten so frigging stale with all their organic foods talk, I figured anything going on here had to be more exciting. Hope you're doing well, Monkey Boy. I miss you.

We aren't that exciting around here No organic food here....fast food on the other hand

I've done the math, calculating all my projects. Assuming I don't buy any more machines (hahaha) and not help anyone else with their machines (hahaha x2) I SHOULD be all caught up and cleaned up just before the year 2028.

So far I've done a half decent job trying to spend less time on here focusing on games, work (short staffed due to a surgery), still have a chronic head issue from a car accident years ago which slows me down.

Don't miss me at the end of the day, I haven't really gone anywhere.

#612 9 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 9.25.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-07-08 at 9.25.37 PM (resized).png

#613 9 months ago

I have been doing a whole lot of organizing. Mainly trying to help my mom, which is 80 now and has severe short term memory loss.

Hell, I just had to order more car keys for her, she keeps losing keys.

Soon I may have to take her car away, but she still drives good, and I want to help her as long as I can to live a normal life for as long as possible.

She was pretty good when I was a kid, and never bossed me around, so now that she is almost like a kid again herself now, I am trying to return the favor.

She is in really good physical condition, it is just her memory stuff that is shot. Hell, sometimes she asks me the same question 3 times in 30 minutes, she forgets stuff that fast.

Starting to stress me at times a tad, but all good for now.

#614 9 months ago

She did good with you!

#615 9 months ago

Since my house is LITERALLY falling apart won’t be setting up Ship Ahoy after work today….need it to hold decorative stone up while the glue dries. Pinball saves the day again.

IMG_3034 (resized).jpegIMG_3034 (resized).jpeg

IMG_3035 (resized).jpegIMG_3035 (resized).jpegIMG_3036 (resized).jpegIMG_3036 (resized).jpeg
    #616 9 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Since my house is LITERALLY falling apart won’t be setting up Ship Ahoy after work today….need it to hold decorative stone up while the glue dries. Pinball saves the day again.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

All of that almost looks as fun as the first time I replaced a water heater.

The key to all of life's crap, is the fact that the better organized that you are, the easier it is to fix most of the problems that pop up.

#617 9 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

the better organized that you are

I really need to work on organizing my tools, takes forever to find the right socket or wrench when needed.

I do know that I have a big surplus of 5/8 sockets and wrenches.

#618 9 months ago

I need to organize my garage. I have bought racks and hooks two years ago still sitting in a box. At least, we can both park in there.

#619 9 months ago

I'm going to wait for the fall when it cools off thought. I swear, I'll get to it this year.

#620 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm going to wait for the fall when it cools off thought. I swear, I'll get to it this year.

Great fall project

#621 9 months ago

Won’t be painting anything this weekend.

The red rash has returned.

IMG_3102 (resized).pngIMG_3102 (resized).png
    #622 9 months ago

Well shi* ….ahoy….

Tried pounding out the old leg plate and this happens…

IMG_3110 (resized).jpegIMG_3110 (resized).jpegIMG_3111 (resized).jpegIMG_3111 (resized).jpeg

I’ve never seen one of these bendy blade pushers break off either

IMG_3112 (resized).jpegIMG_3112 (resized).jpeg

With a new EOS switch sacrifice the enforcement blade or whatever you call it saves the day. I’m not sure if this will hold but it’s worth a shot. I’m guessing not.

IMG_3113 (resized).jpegIMG_3113 (resized).jpeg

Some mostly good news it started a game but went from 5 balls to play to game over stepping through the trough so we know what’s stuck from 50 some year old lube

IMG_3114 (resized).jpegIMG_3114 (resized).jpeg

Got all that cleaned up and I’m calling it a night. The backglass has been clearcoated too. It’s in “eh good enough” shape. For this title I’ll take it.

IMG_3042 (resized).jpegIMG_3042 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #623 8 months ago

Alright. pinhead52 sold me these 10 days short of a year ago so better get them in. I’m not sure what they are called. Score reel holder tabs?

My problem was that some were broken off. Previous service person used 4” rubber ring and that did an okay job. I used zip ties and that was a bad idea. The more you play the more the reels worked their way out.

IMG_3337 (resized).jpegIMG_3337 (resized).jpegIMG_3338 (resized).jpegIMG_3338 (resized).jpeg
    On the plus side I have liberated two possibly NOS coil brackets. Well…they are used but not for their intended purpose

IMG_3339 (resized).jpegIMG_3339 (resized).jpeg

Dremel to grind the old rivets out

IMG_3363 (resized).jpegIMG_3363 (resized).jpeg

And new ones are in! I had to buy some longer screws than what came with. Ken was kind enough to include a lot of hardware in the situation where they aren’t sandwiched together but these were.

Now I just have to find the legs for this game so I can set it up and test it out.

IMG_3467 (resized).jpegIMG_3467 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #624 8 months ago

Ah cooperative weather…great for seeing stars!

IMG_7982 (resized).jpegIMG_7982 (resized).jpeg

IMG_7984 (resized).jpegIMG_7984 (resized).jpeg
    #625 8 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Ah cooperative weather…great for seeing stars!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, seeing stars for real is not a good thing, so make sure to wear safety glasses.

Last Sunday I was converting some old cast iron pipe over to new PVC pipe in my basement, and I wore safety glasses most of the time, but the one time I had them off I got smacked in the eye.

Still having a lot of pain at times, even after going to urgent care and getting eye flushed and prescribed eye drops.

#626 8 months ago

Lunch break! Been hitting the Time Zone hard this weekend

IMG_3775 (resized).jpegIMG_3775 (resized).jpegIMG_3776 (resized).jpegIMG_3776 (resized).jpeg

The day I bought it from the lady the score reset to 66600 yikes! Here’s why

IMG_3779 (resized).jpegIMG_3779 (resized).jpeg

Really dirty throughout

IMG_3793 (resized).jpegIMG_3793 (resized).jpeg

More progress made. This afternoon I’ll replace pop bumper bodies and skirts. Backbox GI will be 1SMD LED and playfield GI 2SMD. Feature lights remain incandescent.

IMG_3833 (resized).jpegIMG_3833 (resized).jpegIMG_3818 (resized).jpegIMG_3818 (resized).jpegIMG_3825 (resized).jpegIMG_3825 (resized).jpeg

The metal toothed wheel stop thingy did a number on the relay bracket looks like someone moved it over a bit somehow. Someday I might have to move it too. Almost 100,000 plays (97k ish) on the play meter. I’m assuming it’s not almost 200,000

IMG_3765 (resized).jpegIMG_3765 (resized).jpeg

#627 8 months ago

Always interesting to see what color bases are used. It’s not like you can see them without really looking hard.

IMG_3836 (resized).jpegIMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #628 7 months ago

First round of webbing is on! Just in time for a September heatwave so things will be put on pause again.

IMG_4088 (resized).jpegIMG_4088 (resized).jpegIMG_4090 (resized).jpegIMG_4090 (resized).jpeg
    #629 7 months ago

That’s pretty awesome!

#630 7 months ago

UPS bumped my PBR order from today to Tuesday so I’ll be able to find some other things to do. Magic City is almost done. Tonight I clean the tunnel of Time Zone. It’s a pain but one of my favorite EM toys on a pinball

IMG_4074 (resized).jpegIMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
    #631 7 months ago

Might as well get started on Ship.

Weak packing tape is all it takes to pull these out they are so loose. Common for this title.

IMG_4128 (resized).jpegIMG_4128 (resized).jpeg

Minimal glue and let them sit for a short time and the tape can come off

IMG_4129 (resized).jpegIMG_4129 (resized).jpeg
    #632 7 months ago

Can’t get enough of the repair pictures and videos!

#633 7 months ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Can’t get enough of the repair pictures and videos!

I’m like a tornado today around the house doing small fixes. I should be in the garage before it turns into an oven.

Had to start a new thread on here to see where a wire goes. I think there’s a wire color change up somewhere. But I’m also lacking continuity. I also had an oversight on not ordering a 26-800 coil when I ordered the parts for this game. Doh! At least I have the large bell coil.

But I’m not the biggest fan of low scoring bells. I know they sound cute and all but I like the reward of bells when you score larger points

IMG_4154 (resized).jpegIMG_4154 (resized).jpegIMG_4155 (resized).jpegIMG_4155 (resized).jpeg

SO CLOSE to being done. Score reel 1s still needs a lot of help. PBR should be here tomorrow

IMG_4156 (resized).jpegIMG_4156 (resized).jpeg
    #634 7 months ago

Got some PBR relief today. I need to go post this in the hack thread. For those who don’t recognize it, this is (part of) the assembly that advances the score reel. Someone screwed in a metal bracket on one end and taped it on the other. They bent back the bracket that holds it all in place but I think I can get away without bending it back.

IMG_4186 (resized).jpegIMG_4186 (resized).jpeg
    #635 7 months ago

IMG_4214 (resized).jpegIMG_4214 (resized).jpeg

IMG_4215 (resized).jpegIMG_4215 (resized).jpeg

IMG_4216 (resized).jpegIMG_4216 (resized).jpeg

IMG_4217 (resized).jpegIMG_4217 (resized).jpeg
    #636 7 months ago

Much progress made today.

Stars saw it’s orange and is now complete from a repaint perspective.

4 square gets its red

Big Shot gets peachy. I can’t remember the exact name of the color but it has peach in it.

IMG_4285 (resized).jpegIMG_4285 (resized).jpeg
    #637 7 months ago

I should have posted the color selections from above as I’ve had a couple people ask already.

I didn’t keep track of coats just kept going until things looked good.

Primer:
    Stars was Rustoleum black spray. That was a disaster switched to gray spray primer. Better and did the other two cabinets with this as well but need to revisit this for next years cabinet paints. Still think we could do better.

Base coats were Gloss Dover White (Krylon)
    Stars base coat “Rustoleum 2x” Ink Blue. Sanding in-between to improve surface

Webbing (marbelizing) is Krylon Black Lava. A small 4oz can comfortably did both GTBs you could probably do a 3rd game if needed. I would insist you apply this to a drying coat of base color or your stencils will easily remove the application. Thanks to ryanbrooks friend for pointing this out beforehand so I didn’t have to learn the hard way.

(Everything hereafter is Rustoleum 2x)

Stars: White (that was easy) and Real Orange

4 Square is Fire Orange

Big Shot is Harvest Peach. This is a new color for this year.

Not done yet but 4 Square and Big Shot will receive their second color soon with Canyon Black

#638 7 months ago

Giving away some shipping materials for backglass and playfield in my regional thread and posting picture here. If anyone local wants them lmk

IMG_4333 (resized).jpegIMG_4333 (resized).jpeg

Also have 2x 18x14x12 boxes filled with bubble wrap. The air pads are long chambers so you cant have fun popping them to scare family members, sorry

IMG_4334 (resized).jpegIMG_4334 (resized).jpeg
    #639 7 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

The air pads are long chambers so you cant have fun popping them to scare family members, sorry

There is a right tool for every job….. Line those pads up across the warehouse

IMG_1679 (resized).jpegIMG_1679 (resized).jpeg

#640 7 months ago

Long day at work but got some pinball stuff out of the way.

Sealed a couple of backglasses.

Finished rebuilding one flipper on ship ahoy.

Fixed bad contacts on Big Hit so now the reset sequence can complete. Runout switch on the runs unit was poorly adjusted. Still can’t launch a ball but that’s for another day.

Came back in for a mug of tea and remembered there’s a pinball anniversary in the twin cities next week.

IMG_4335 (resized).jpegIMG_4335 (resized).jpegIMG_4345 (resized).jpegIMG_4345 (resized).jpegIMG_4349 (resized).jpegIMG_4349 (resized).jpeg
    #641 7 months ago

I don’t have the machine but someone generously gifted me this backglass (I still offer to pay for it and/or the shipping) I love the artwork/ theme on this.

IMG_4325 (resized).jpegIMG_4325 (resized).jpeg
    #642 7 months ago

Seems to me the only person getting organized in this thread is EJS. Nice work by the way! Come on Johnny, pick up the slack!

#643 7 months ago

I’m too lazy!

#644 7 months ago

I like that backglass.

#645 7 months ago

Getting an early start today. Going to tighten screws and check contacts. I’ve had bad luck and frustrations with pinballs that have the rules of baseball. Batters have been known to go MIA and things don’t score right. Already found this stepper in need of adjustment

IMG_4378 (resized).jpegIMG_4378 (resized).jpegIMG_4379 (resized).jpegIMG_4379 (resized).jpeg
    #646 7 months ago

Sides are all done! Fronts still need to be completed. Time to start thinking about 2024 repaints

IMG_4386 (resized).jpegIMG_4386 (resized).jpegIMG_8189 (resized).jpegIMG_8189 (resized).jpeg

IMG_4383 (resized).jpegIMG_4383 (resized).jpegIMG_4384 (resized).jpegIMG_4384 (resized).jpeg
    #647 7 months ago

You do such great work!

#648 7 months ago

Well this was a painful night. Mostly for my back and my confidence in fixing stuff. I actually took out a thread on seeing if anyone had this issue before with their Atlantis or similar game.

(A couple weekends ago I was able to meet MarkG who was in town for a brief moment. If you want to learn EM basics and even take an EM repair course https://www.funwithpinball.com/ )

Basically every time the ball landed in the outhole the ball stepper would step AND skip ball 5 to go to game over. So that’s 2 steps per drain. Also during the reset sequence the game would give a free game presumably thinking it was in game and achieving a replay as the scores reset.
    IMG_4495 (resized).jpegIMG_4495 (resized).jpeg

It turns out these two tabs were barely touching and it took me awhile to catch it. In some cases these tabs are deliberately soldered together usually on some games older than this.

In the process check out this ball stepper. Really ground down but is nice and clean and lubricated well so wear should be minimal going forward.
    IMG_4485 (resized).jpegIMG_4485 (resized).jpegIMG_4487 (resized).jpegIMG_4487 (resized).jpeg

#649 7 months ago

Some minor finishing touches needed but these two are now ready to be enjoyed…

IMG_4554 (resized).jpegIMG_4554 (resized).jpeg
    #650 7 months ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

You do such great work!

What is cool is a young guy who is so good at the older stuff!

There are 808 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-organized-with-ejs-and-little-johnny/page/13?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.