Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 803 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8090 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8089 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8088 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7996 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7997 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7950 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7812 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7815 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7816 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7765 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7724 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7614 (resized).jpeg
    There are 803 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.
    #501 1 year ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #502 1 year ago

So, anyway, a few weeks ago, right before Christmas, my furnace started acting up, and at the time we were having record low temps.

I knew my heat and air guy would be swamped, so I watched some YouTube videos and babied it.

Later when I called my heating guy, he told me that my furnace problem had to be the control panel, and it was 200-300 bucks.

He was supposed to stop by, never called back, and his voicemail is full now, and I rode by the other day, and his work trucks are parked, so pretty sure he died, and that is sad, I liked that dude, I have had other estimates in the past, and he was always a lot lower price, and very friendly.

Anyway, I bought the part myself, cost 113 bucks, and was way more complicated than what I wanted to deal with, with all the wires, and some were different colors and easy, but way too many were white, or black, so had to change one at a time.

In reality, took 2 hours at the most, after I drove to get the part, and worked perfect for a week, now messing up again.

Anyway, I learned that I can just buy parts for a furnace, for my house and rental houses, and even if it was the wrong part and I need something else, my furnaces can have all new parts, for less than free, from the labor charges companies charge.

#503 1 year ago

And I am about to get organized I hope, for dealing with water heaters.

I thought mine had gone out, but the leak is in a solder joint right above it, and the water heater itself should be fine.

A friend is going to stop by and take care of that, and I plan, and hope, they will go with me to Lowes, to get everything I need when I do need to replace a water heater, because my plumber is way too high with that stuff.

Once I have everything I need in a bag, I can figure out where it goes.

I am really good at anything that has to do with PVC pipe, and other pipes, but I have never messed with copper pipe, I know it is easy now, just not sure what all I need, so far, I have never been down that isle at the store.

#504 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

And I am about to get organized I hope,

Hell, over half the battle is learning what you need in the first place.

Not looking to make any money off stuff I am trying to learn, because just like changing the furnace control panel that I did not enjoy at all, I am just trying to save myself money now.

#505 1 year ago

Always something. Water heater is a priority now, but furnace also needs more attention, and now I also have a chainsaw that is acting like it is out of gas when the tank is full, then reeves right back up, and cycles back and forth to doing good, or almost going dead.

#506 1 year ago

Always something. Water heater is a priority now, but furnace also needs more attention, and now I also have a chainsaw that is acting like it is out of gas when the tank is full, then reeves right back up, and cycles back and forth to doing good, or almost going dead.

At least my radio station is back on the air now, 99x, I always have it on while I on here at night having a few beers. It suddenly went away back in 2008, and radio for me here just sucked. Now all good again!

I hope all of you have a great weekend, and any advice about working on anything is appreciated!

As far as the furnace goes, cleaning the flame sensor next, although in the past, that problem acted differently.

#507 1 year ago

Clean the carburetor.

#508 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Clean the carburetor.

X2 for cleaning the carb, then make sure you use only 89 octane or higher, use a synthetic 2 stroke oil with an included fuel stabilizer (Husky and Stihl make good ones), only mix what you’re going to use in a reasonable time, run the saw empty and store it empty.

#509 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice!

#510 1 year ago

Lot of changes coming to the basement. Now I can hide my messes behind a wall of (almost all) Sterns

Super score has been in storage way too long.

E2430E45-7FE1-40B8-8463-4EBB21D1660E (resized).jpegE2430E45-7FE1-40B8-8463-4EBB21D1660E (resized).jpeg
    #511 1 year ago

TZ shipping to Windsor?!

#512 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice!

When you're done getting organized, come visit the idiots in the Boob thread. We miss you.

#513 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

TZ shipping to Windsor?!

Which one? There are two in the picture if you look close.

#514 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

When you're done getting organized, come visit the idiots in the Boob thread. We miss you.

If I followed that practice I’d never be there.

#515 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I thought we had drained that thread?

Hell, I have been very busy, when things calm down I will stop by.

#516 1 year ago

Once again pinballplusMN is outpacing me on another playfield. Looks like a hard top 8BD. It’s not quite done yet.

I see a Centaur playfield swap on the horizon that will be fun to see.

I got more misc stuff done with cabinet hardware tonight on Magic City and Super Soccer.

F40E33B1-CA29-4DBB-A54D-9A4C9A16DF10 (resized).jpegF40E33B1-CA29-4DBB-A54D-9A4C9A16DF10 (resized).jpeg
    #517 1 year ago

I thought we had drained that thread?
    Hell, I have been very busy, when things calm down I will stop by.

You have really opened up your life here, more than most. That means I feel like I know you, or at least, more about your life than a lot of people in my life locally. Sorry, if you felt slighted, but we all "love" you man. Don't take that the wrong way.

#518 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry, if you felt slighted

Nothing at all like that.

When beelzeboob posted about draining the tread, I went with it as a joke. Read my last post there, I said something along the lines of may as well drain the tread, now that 99x is back on the air.

The truth is I have been very busy lately, and I still am very busy.

I have only been posting a little anywhere here, just to stay active here. (In case any achievement points for certain number of days posting).

Anyway, I have 99x on now, and I am about to go over there and catch up on upvotes, but doubt I will post anything tonight, I do not need to get wound up and stay up too late.

Quoted from RyanStl:

we all "love" you man. Don't take that the wrong way.

Ditto. I love all of you also.

#519 1 year ago

You’re supposed to change out these humidifier water panel filters out every so often. I change mine out every so rarely.

54EAC4E4-DF57-4764-A240-6EEE93DFC5FB (resized).jpeg54EAC4E4-DF57-4764-A240-6EEE93DFC5FB (resized).jpeg59209CC7-D871-4DD5-811F-5E9B4D00E8DE (resized).jpeg59209CC7-D871-4DD5-811F-5E9B4D00E8DE (resized).jpeg
    #520 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

You’re supposed to change out these humidifier water panel filters out every so often. I change mine out every so rarely.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

What is that? What do the water panel filters go in?

Those filters look like a virus waiting to put you in the hospital.

I have a de-humidifier, and I have to clean the air filter every now and then.

So just making sure there is not something I have never done, and mine would look way worse.

I have a few air filters to take care of, but as far as I know no water filters.

#521 1 year ago

I really need to check the HVAC filter at a rental house that I take care of.

About 3 years ago I was going to replace it, had already been 3 years because I had forgot about it, and it still looked brand new, and I didn't change it.

I try to remember to check my HVAC filter at my house every 6 months, and sometimes they look fine for 2 years, and sometimes need to be changed after 6 months.

#522 1 year ago

As far as air filters go, I wish they all were like one chainsaw that I have. It will idle bad and act up and let you know big time to clean the filter.

#523 1 year ago

Right now, I am lucky that my main problem is a pinball machine flipper messing up, I have been PMing EJS about it, it is weird, works fine at first.

Well, actually that is my 2nd main problem, with the main problem being my furnace. It wakes me up messing up, and it has been several weeks since I had a good night's sleep.

My HVAC guy that I have used for years was supposed to take care of it, but then all of a sudden, he did not show, and all calls go to voicemail, and it is full.

His work vans have not moved in a while, and I thought he must have had a heart attack or something and died, but nothing in the obituaries, my girlfriend has been looking, she knew him.

Best I can tell is he won a lottery and disappeared. I hope that is what happened anyway, he was very likeable, and very fair with his prices.

In the meantime, I replaced the HVAC control panel myself, what he said the problem was, and worked perfect for 6 days, and now messing up again.

Confess the main reason I have not been posting much lately, is lack of sleep because of the HVAC system, and trying to deal with it myself, and save some money, until I find another reasonable HVAC company.

A while back a storm knocked a tree down on a HVAC unit at a rental house, and the insurance company wanted me to get estimates, and some of those estimates were twice as high as my guy's price.

In the meantime, I am trying to learn some of that stuff myself. And water heater stuff, since so many companies want way too much for that also.

I may just eventually pay for a flipper rebuild or replace on the game though, just to get to know a local repair guy, in case I ever really need one.

Trying to do all I can to save money these days, but I already know that I suck at soldering anything. Which is a good thing about water heaters now, now copper pipe has slip on fittings, no need to solder.

#524 1 year ago

What is that? What do the water panel filters go in?
    Those filters look like a virus waiting to put you in the hospital.

The buildup is all the impurities you see in hard water….kind of like around your faucet.

The humidifier is a small unit that goes through a small duct between the return and supply. So a small percentage of air bypassed the filter and heating elements.

In MN if you don’t have one of these the humidity in the house can drop down to 10% which is no bueno for woodwork or floors….and probably pinball cabinets.

I keep mine set at 35% sometimes 40%

#525 1 year ago

Right now, I am lucky that my main problem is a pinball machine flipper messing up, I have been PMing EJS about it, it is weird, works fine at first.
    Well, actually that is my 2nd main problem, with the main problem being my furnace. It wakes me up messing up, and it has been several weeks since I had a good night's sleep.
    My HVAC guy that I have used for years was supposed to take care of it, but then all of a sudden, he did not show, and all calls go to voicemail, and it is full.
    His work vans have not moved in a while, and I thought he must have had a heart attack or something and died, but nothing in the obituaries, my girlfriend has been looking, she knew him.
    Best I can tell is he won a lottery and disappeared. I hope that is what happened anyway, he was very likeable, and very fair with his prices.
    In the meantime, I replaced the HVAC control panel myself, what he said the problem was, and worked perfect for 6 days, and now messing up again.
    Confess the main reason I have not been posting much lately, is lack of sleep because of the HVAC system, and trying to deal with it myself, and save some money, until I find another reasonable HVAC company.
    A while back a storm knocked a tree down on a HVAC unit at a rental house, and the insurance company wanted me to get estimates, and some of those estimates were twice as high as my guy's price.
    In the meantime, I am trying to learn some of that stuff myself. And water heater stuff, since so many companies want way too much for that also.
    I may just eventually pay for a flipper rebuild or replace on the game though, just to get to know a local repair guy, in case I ever really need one.
    Trying to do all I can to save money these days, but I already know that I suck at soldering anything. Which is a good thing about water heaters now, now copper pipe has slip on fittings, no need to solder.

Send pics of what you have going on. That substance you describe is peaking my interest. From what you described to me awhile ago I am thinking of something binding….maybe caused by something loosening up. brobra had a similar issue when I looked at his Congo and it was a loose bushing. It didn’t act up all the time.

#526 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

The buildup is all the impurities you see in hard water….kind of like around your faucet.
    The humidifier is a small unit that goes through a small duct between the return and supply. So a small percentage of air bypassed the filter and heating elements.
    In MN if you don’t have one of these the humidity in the house can drop down to 10% which is no bueno for woodwork or floors….and probably pinball cabinets.
    I keep mine set at 35% sometimes 40%

Not a lot of call for humidifiers down GA way, I’d guess…

1 week later
    #527 1 year ago

I think it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve done anything pinball at my house. Which remains true but happy to help out where I can. Shopping a CBW at pinballplusMN shop tonight to help him catch up.

All drops brittle. Little effort to break all 14 of them off.

9C209AED-6A87-4095-964C-9DE89479DF1E (resized).jpeg9C209AED-6A87-4095-964C-9DE89479DF1E (resized).jpeg
    #528 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I think it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve done anything pinball at my house. Which remains true but happy to help out where I can. Shopping a CBW at pinballplusMN shop tonight to help him catch up.
    All drops brittle. Little effort to break all 14 of them off.
    [quoted image]

You've got really nice hands.

#529 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Coming from the expert that’s truly a fine compliment. Honestly that pic makes me feel like the guy from the WPT backglass.

Pending weather maybe I’ll be able to stay at home and work on more stuff next week. These snowfall totals are insane. Course it’s always subject to change.

18D9A410-D00B-4B62-B29E-7488C9C4EA88 (resized).jpeg18D9A410-D00B-4B62-B29E-7488C9C4EA88 (resized).jpeg

#530 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Funny shit

#531 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Coming from the expert that’s truly a fine compliment. Honestly that pic makes me feel like the guy from the WPT backglass.
    Pending weather maybe I’ll be able to stay at home and work on more stuff next week. These snowfall totals are insane. Course it’s always subject to change.
    [quoted image]

Our snow total for the year: 3 flakes.

Totally depressing.

#532 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Totally depressing.

I'm loving it. Yay global warming.

#533 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Totally depressing.

You and who are the other two?

#534 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Fock, that's a lot of snow.

#535 1 year ago

I know at least one of you here has a super straight I can’t remember who.

If your in USA PM me your address and I’ll send you an extra set

3A8386A2-D32A-4F6D-B8B2-6223660D7630 (resized).jpeg3A8386A2-D32A-4F6D-B8B2-6223660D7630 (resized).jpeg
    #536 1 year ago

I wish I had one so you would have to pay international postage.

1 week later
    #537 1 year ago

Been getting a lot of small stuff done over the last couple weeks. Today I’ve been cleaning coin doors and putting trim back on. Magic City playfield almost ready to go in too!

6ACDED9F-474C-4413-AB5C-5EA60531B9F9 (resized).jpeg6ACDED9F-474C-4413-AB5C-5EA60531B9F9 (resized).jpegCAA9058E-440F-464F-AFC1-FB56F0BC00C4 (resized).jpegCAA9058E-440F-464F-AFC1-FB56F0BC00C4 (resized).jpegECE47883-869F-4D92-821B-E681DF3716C4 (resized).jpegECE47883-869F-4D92-821B-E681DF3716C4 (resized).jpeg
    #538 1 year ago

Basement is getting cleaned up. I want to have another get together late spring hopefully. This time all the projects are shoved in the back corner and blocked by a wall of mostly Stern games. Some of the projects I want to work on sooner have been stored closer for easier access so there is some method to the madness.

00F2C946-2016-4DDE-B80C-8F12F1380AFE (resized).jpeg00F2C946-2016-4DDE-B80C-8F12F1380AFE (resized).jpeg

I’ve already decided on the first two cabinets to repaint this summer

4B678515-034A-4FC5-B55C-8E6F03C0E88F (resized).jpeg4B678515-034A-4FC5-B55C-8E6F03C0E88F (resized).jpeg

#539 1 year ago

Little more progress this morning. Got more parts sitting in evaporust and got the switches back on super soccer. Before:

90E4C591-9991-4673-8177-ACB4E02A3585 (resized).jpeg90E4C591-9991-4673-8177-ACB4E02A3585 (resized).jpeg

And after

F2AB3A44-63B9-4328-A0A2-3F8CD2FD50E3 (resized).jpegF2AB3A44-63B9-4328-A0A2-3F8CD2FD50E3 (resized).jpeg

And why on earth is this outlane switch so small?

E787A490-90FA-4C30-AACE-9599AA31D504 (resized).jpegE787A490-90FA-4C30-AACE-9599AA31D504 (resized).jpeg
    #540 1 year ago

pinballplusMN is always up to something different and wanted to share this project…

Here we have a customers Close Encounters with a shorted rectifier diode on the power supply.

0915B6A2-D87C-4655-9A1D-81BE71B0EC2C (resized).jpeg0915B6A2-D87C-4655-9A1D-81BE71B0EC2C (resized).jpeg

Unfortunately that took out the second transformer which is difficult to come by. You can see it burnt up with the charred wood on the base.

4AD14726-4AA4-4E9B-BF81-0BEF88AE4042 (resized).jpeg4AD14726-4AA4-4E9B-BF81-0BEF88AE4042 (resized).jpeg

So the solution involves an aftermarket power supply commonly seen on video games (far left). Now for the fun part….
    784A0B02-9421-44A9-98F1-3B51E932B252 (resized).jpeg784A0B02-9421-44A9-98F1-3B51E932B252 (resized).jpeg
    The displays are also upgraded to LED which normally gets power from a higher voltage and is broken down into low voltage on the board. Since the usual feed voltage is no longer available John bypassed to the appropriate voltage to give the displays power from the new power supply.

56AF5A27-4F24-485C-BCE0-DAE63249D641 (resized).jpeg56AF5A27-4F24-485C-BCE0-DAE63249D641 (resized).jpeg

Great work! Another game in the twin cities saved! Of course special attention was given throughout the rest of the game, every connector repinned for reliability.

#541 1 year ago

Got a chance to check out brobra new pin hauler this afternoon

7D3C0302-AB70-49E9-89FA-A8290F800028 (resized).jpeg7D3C0302-AB70-49E9-89FA-A8290F800028 (resized).jpeg
    #542 1 year ago

Got to meet another pinhead that’s just as crazy about pinball as we are roffels and his broken JD ramp met before lunch. Going to have JohnTTwo pick it up tonight.

66E86A67-1189-42ED-B4FE-D5956A02B53F (resized).jpeg66E86A67-1189-42ED-B4FE-D5956A02B53F (resized).jpeg
    #543 1 year ago

That’s awesome!

#544 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

That’s awesome!

He did a good job.

E5E5B3E5-A33F-4685-9D74-643AB6AE522C (resized).jpegE5E5B3E5-A33F-4685-9D74-643AB6AE522C (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #545 1 year ago

Gotta dial back the chaos a little. Got all the games lined up almost done with magic city playfield and starting to think about a gathering maybe in May

D2C03C59-27F0-4757-BA5B-C593037C64F8 (resized).jpegD2C03C59-27F0-4757-BA5B-C593037C64F8 (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #546 1 year ago

Has it been almost a month? Life is busy which isn’t a bad thing. Magic City playfield is almost done and is now back in the game with new flippers. Made some more room. Got LEDs added to the feature lights. Those inserts were really dirty.

IMG_0952 (resized).jpegIMG_0952 (resized).jpegIMG_0961 (resized).jpegIMG_0961 (resized).jpeg

Had people over yesterday so had to get the living room all cleaned up. Before:

IMG_0227 (resized).jpegIMG_0227 (resized).jpeg

And after….we’ll see how long this lasts

IMG_0968 (resized).jpegIMG_0968 (resized).jpeg
    #547 1 year ago

I haven’t been posting much. Still lurking daily!

1 week later
    #548 1 year ago

Here we go again! Going to be another fun summer. I still have to finish the first three but they are almost all the way back together.

IMG_1141 (resized).pngIMG_1141 (resized).png
    #549 12 months ago

Next on the chopping block for pinballplusMN

IMG_1195 (resized).jpegIMG_1195 (resized).jpeg
    #550 12 months ago

You have a nice little blog here. Wish we were closer

There are 803 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-organized-with-ejs-and-little-johnny/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.