Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63D608D2-FC65-421F-90A2-A23265D595C4.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230303-150716_Chrome (resized).jpg
    91iOa9+6CzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230224-190021_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230224-190326_Facebook (resized).jpg
    EC531C2D-5ACE-4955-B874-03C7001833B1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There aren’t many of us left that can soak up these $13k pops over and over again.

How do you know?

10 years ago there was nobody who would pay those prices. Now there’s a ton. Maybe next year, there will be even more.

Pinball is still an incredibly niche hobby with tons of room to grow.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Keep dreaming “crazylevipinball.com”
    Or maybe there are a ton that say F this.
    Room to grow? Nah, they are killing the golden goose and you know it
    It’s called demand destruction. And they are doing to themselves. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Why such a hostile response?

I'm just asking if you think the hobby is done and there aren't gonna be more noobs there to pick up the slack?

We've hit the peak?

Did you only start this thread so you could yell at people, or have a good old fashioned civilized Pinside price thread discussion?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Shit! I thought this as a good old bubble burst discussion….

It's kind of a new concept around here.

We have a lot of new pricing threads where people predict vague storm clouds and doom, yet won't flat out say "the bubble is going to burst!"

If you ask them to explain themselves they get angry. We got some mean drunks around here but that shouldn't come as news to anybody.

Does "demand destruction!" mean the same thing as the "bubble will burst?"

I guess we'll all have to pour another few drinks and wait and see!

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No need to get all defensive and butt hurt about it.

Not butthurt, I have a smile on my face!

I've just heard it all before over the last 20 years and wondering why this is different.

According to you, it's because prices are too damn high.

Sounds good! I await the demand destruction just like everybody else. Tired of paying these crazy prices.

Pinball prices are nuts!! Am I right?!?!?

And to answer what I think was your question, I think the prices and quantity will remain the same for this round of releases. Quantity as well. Next Stern LE will be (at least advertised as) 1,000.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Geeterman1:

Can you name anything in the last 20 years that resembles the current market?

Yes.

During every market over the last 20 years, people have been saying the pinball bubble will burst.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

How about Venom with Foo Fighters music. hmm.

No it’s venom with Ozzy music remember?

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I don’t see how Stern can charge $13,000 for this while making 1000 of them, Distro’s will be left holding the bag!
    [quoted image]

They made 1,000 Rush LEs. Why wouldn't they make 1,000 of these?

Of all the recent band themes, nobody has less widespread appeal than Rush. Foo FIghters are actually popular all over the world.

DEMAND DESTRUCTION!!!!!

#81 1 year ago

Just would like to point out that just because they say they'll make 1,000 LEs doesn't mean they have to.

It wouldn't look good to backtrack. Whether or not they sell 1,000 LEs or 500 due to DEMAND DESTRUCTION I would guess it will be advertised at 1,000.

Just a prediction. No ass-tattoo or bourbon bets please.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Love the looks of FOO, reminds me a bit like Aerosmith.
    Can't recall who did artwork on that game? Same animation guys I think?
    I really like music pins, Foo Fighters over Rush/Zep for me but no buying FOMO here. Wait and see pricing

Aerosmith was Dirty Donnie and he's sorely missed on Stern's rock pins.

Apparently they had some kind of falling out. Maybe due to Dirty's deciding to take the gig on that Cosmic Carnival disaster.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Hey, maybe they think they can, i don't know?

Im quite sure they think they can.

Stern is coming off X number of consecutive record sales years.

If there is DEMAND DESTRUCTION I doubt they've gotten the memo yet.

#100 1 year ago

DEMAND DESTRUCTION

(at the same time has 2 dozen people are saying "in for an LE!!!!" after a 20 second teaser)

I know it's all conjecture and we've rehashed this argument a billion times (a billion +1 coming with the next Ice post) but I don't think the goose is yet cooked.

Pinball fans have tons of money
    pinball fans like buying games
    More home buying pinball fans than ever and it continues to grow
    A good game with a good theme is gonna keep selling ,just like the last 20 years.

DEMAND INDESTRUCTABLE!!

I think part of the disconnect for Ice is, that for years, Ice was one of the only guys buying EVERYTHING. Every ridiculously expensive game, every ponzi scheme hail mary, didn't matter. If it was crazy expensive, crazy risky, and if the masses thought you were stupid for buying it, Ice was in. He was the high profile outlier.

And now, since HE is having second thoughts, he just figures that means everybody else is too. Cause if the guy who signed up to buy 3 RAZAs is sick of these prices, well, isn't everybody!??!?!!

No. Hobby isn't just one guy.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

They will be getting the memo from Distributors, just like they did on Bond 60th.
    If they go $13k and 1,000 you will see the "DEMAND DESTRUCTION" hit again.
    The record sales years were driven by pulled forward Covid demand. That's going in the other direction now.
    I will probably buy a Foo because i like the band and music pins, but unlike pins i've bought for years prior, i have ZERO FOMO and won't worry about getting one now, like the old days!

You and tons of other people seem to be excited to buy Foo.

Congrats! Enjoy the game.

Your theory may be correct, but I'm not sure it matters that much. FOMO is what is keeping companies like Spooky afloat. FOMO helped them sell out of Halloweens before anybody realized how bad it was.

But Do Stern and JJP really need FOMO to stay in business? I think they can sell plenty of games without people freaking out on onsale day. FOMO never really drove their business model much.

Gary is a fucking lifer. His dad was a lifer. It's a different perspective. Stern is a long-haul company.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

For those that are asking, pricing is unchanged, this has been confirmed. If ytour looking to order, we would be happy to try to help you, earlier the better to avoid long waits

Well, looks like I’m at least half right.

All right once the 1,000 LE amount is announced.

We can go over this all over again ina few months with venom.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

yes, 1000 LE

Well ok then. I guess we can table this DEMAND DESTRUCTION convo till venom. Or the next JJP release, whichever comes first (so….venom).

#118 1 year ago

Why does everybody keep saying it's Jack's?

We need some clarity!!

I'll rewatch the teaser 56 times and see if there's any hints.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Distros are in full pump mode already on the teaser. "Hurry up and get in line so you don't have to wait long".

That's kind of their job, isn't it?

Not sure why anybody would expect them to say "Hey We've got LEs but no rush, nobody wants them, don't bother placing an order with us. Thanks!"

#144 1 year ago

Sorry Ice. Looks like DEMAND DESTRUCTION will have to wait till the next release, as Foo looks awesome and they'll sell a shitload.

But NEXT time...I'm sure of it this time...the goose will be cooked and the bubble will burst.

And if not then probably the next one.

Or for sure the one after that. I'm certain of it.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

They won’t sell 1,000 LEs at $13k. Isn’t that what I said.

Yes, you said that and a lot of other stuff and it's all wrong.

Of course they'll sell all 1,000 LEs. Maybe not in 10 minutes but I don't think they care.

DEMAND DESTRUCTION does not exist in pinball at this time.

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Stay tuned. I’ll be back with the receipts.

Do you have your receipt yet from the LE you are buying?

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

and after reading all the internets - FOMO is still alive and well as predicted

It's so easy between releases (which is the vast majority of the time) - when the natives are bored, grumpy, and restless - to make these sweeping predictions. FOMO is dead, it's all over, etc. etc.

We hear it all the time, every time.

And then a game comes out, it looks awesome, and it's just like old times, every time.

"I didn't think I'd be into this theme, but it looks like they hit it out of the park!! Just ONE MORE LE for me, this one!"

That's just how it is. Pinball is cool. People who collect pinball machines have plenty of disposable income. They buy pinball machines. That's why they are in the hobby.

None of this is gonna change just because prices have gone up a little, or someone can't get a node board, or 4 pinball companies announce a new game in the same month, or one vocal guy who has bought every expensive machine, ever, suddenly declares it's over and we are supposed to believe it.

People STILL want to be the guy who is "right" when they declare it's over, so they'll keep doing it. Even though it's never over. The bubble hasn't burst, the goose isn't cooked, the demand clearly isn't destructed, the "looming recession" hasn't stopped people from buying.

Sorry, I guess. We'll all just have to continue to live with a thriving hobby and industry that keeps giving us what we all want and crave and can't do without.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I get why he so one-sided. It’s his business and has a lot riding on it

You can be such a clown with this stuff, always trying to find an angle. I'm seriously flattered that you think I'm some pinball industry maven (is my bullshit really that convincing?!), but I sell 20 games or so a year. It is not my livelihood, it's a hobby, and every cent I "make" goes into buying more pinball machines or paying for parts and the rent on my tiny little workshop. This isn't a secret; I tell my buyers this stuff all the time.

It's all for fun, for me and my friends, and if pinball machines were suddenly worthless tomorrow it wouldn't affect my life one iota.

I don't have shit "riding on it," I just like calling people out on the same dumb proclamations of doom they've been making for 20+ years, and are ALWAYS WRONG.

Maybe next time! FOMO LIVES HERE!

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Looks like another excellent offering from Stern. Not the point.
    No one needs to freak out with 1,000 LEs at $13k. They will be plentiful.

On all of this we agree!

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

This will be your first win.
    There are 2x as many FFLE than IMDNLE.

Yeah but there are 50X as many people in the hobby as there was five years ago.

These will sell out easy. In fact that are already sold out. We can quibble about Stern vs. Distributor sellouts, but sold out is sold out. Stern is fat and happy.

#189 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Not arguing your point - and I never said it wouldn't sell out.
    The bet was whether Ice can buy a FFLE for $13k or less in a couple of months from now. And the answer is yes - he will be able to.

Yes, he will be able to.

Or he can pick up a Scooby that isn't built yet for a $600 discount. It's already begun.

#191 1 year ago

We got what we wanted. Demand pruning. The demand is still there but the flipper cushion has been destructed.

DP baby!

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I would argue that CGC is the best overall right now - build quality, clearcoat quality, feature set and value. BUT OH MY *#(&*@& THEY ARE SO SLOW

If they can't produce pinball machines for people to buy I just don't see them as the best.

It's repeated a lot but pinball is a manufacturing business. And nobody can manufacture like Stern.

And it makes a difference. We see it with Spooky all the time - they are so slow, the FOMO dies off long before people's games are even a glint in the Wisconsin sun, so they sell off their "spots" at large discounts.

If they could manufacture like Stern, this wouldn't happen.

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Will Eddy be able to do the same with Venom?

Venom has been the holy grail of demand destruction threads (well yeah, of COURSE Bond LE sold out...but Venom?!?!)...but I'm not so convinced.

If the game looks kickass, you'll see a lot of the same latent FOMO that you are seeing on Foos. "Yeah, I didn't think I'd be interesting in Venom but WOW! Eddy and co hit it out of the park! Time to sell something, I'm in on an LE!!!"

And we'll be right back where we always are. There's also going to be plenty of reminders that Stranger Things got a cool reception and now people are trading kidneys for them.

The demand pruning has us right where they want us. I've said it before, Stern doesn't CARE if these games are instant sellouts, and that's not some kind of barometer of success. Instant sellout just means it's too cheap; just like the Stones don't care if they instantly sell out a Stadium. They are selling tickets for $1500 now, not the $30 they were going for when they were selling out Giants stadium in 10 minutes in 1989.

It's just not that important. Killing the scalpers is the main goal and a tall glass of prune juice is just what the dr. ordered.

This has turned out to be a surprisingly entertaining thread! Thanks drunk Saturday night Ice!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighter-and-jjp-pricing-and-quantity?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.