Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63D608D2-FC65-421F-90A2-A23265D595C4.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230303-150716_Chrome (resized).jpg
    91iOa9+6CzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230224-190021_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230224-190326_Facebook (resized).jpg
    EC531C2D-5ACE-4955-B874-03C7001833B1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 1 year ago

Who’s buying?

Now that the Bond 60th mystery reveal is over with a game stream, what do we think pricing on the next Stern cornerstone of FOO FIGHTERS will be?

JJP’s GODFATHER?

Stern has been relying on a backlog of orders for games, while increasing the prices during the wait time, I get that. Fat and happy.

With Bond they announced the “new pricing” going forward.

$13k + tax and shipping for 1,000 LEs?

$10,500 for premiums? Not sure what they go for these days

JJP CEs for $15k, 1,000

JJP LEs for $12,500, unlimited.

How many games has Stern ramped up to produce per day now? 80-100? Hmmm

Will they backtrack on price or quantity, or both? How can they not?

No, the Bond 60th at $20k does NOT make me feel like I have a bargain on the LE at $13k.

For really NOTHING new, this has gotten WAY over the top and I think rubber is about to hit the road.

If the little guys like Spooky, AP, Haggis, Pinball Brothers etc are ever gonna gain some ground it’s now.

JJP went backwards with TS4 but UP in price and quantity.

Stern has gone UP in price and quantity for the same repackaged box of lights over and over again.

They are FUN boxes but come on man!!!!

The dam is gonna break for many reasons including the dwindling post Covid savings and overall economy.

FOMO is def finished and that is what drove so many sales for Distros. Now they are gonna have to sit on a pile of future inventory. The weeding out process is coming.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my pinball games, have plenty of them, but it’s gone past crazy.
    Has it gotten at least a tad ridiculous?

What do you think, poll coming, I know, Levi says prices going higher and higher. Not for me they aren’t.

#2 1 year ago

Long as people with money to burn keep buying, nothing is changing.

They just expanded again, and you think prices are going down? Nope. They'll increase again. It'll be smaller this time: $200 more for a Pro, $500 for a Premium, and about $750 for an LE. They know what they're doing. They know some of you have to have every special snowflake LE and you must have the new and shiney NOW.

If they were to release Back to the Future, nearly everyone here would cave even if prices jumped $1000 on all 3 models. Got to impress nobody that cares.

#3 1 year ago

Ice quit fuckin around and buy back your ACDC for twice what you sold it to me for.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ice quit fuckin around and buy back your ACDC for twice what you sold it to me for.

Haha. You F er!!! I’m looking for another AC/DC. Luci this time.

What a F ing time that was Gryzz.

I can remember being surprised by JJ and the price increase on the premium to I think $6,200 back then. Great game

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Who’s buying?
    Now that the Bond 60th mystery reveal is over with a game stream, what do we think pricing on the next Stern cornerstone of FOO FIGHTERS will be?
    JJP’s GODFATHER?
    Stern has been relying on a backlog of orders for games, while increasing the prices during the wait time, I get that. Fat and happy.
    JJP CEs for $15k, 1,000
    No, the Bond 60th at $20k does NOT make me feel like I have a bargain on the LE at $13k.
    For really NOTHING new, this has gotten WAY over the top and I think rubber is about to hit the road.
    If the little guys like Spooky, AP, Haggis, Pinball Brothers etc are ever gonna gain some ground it’s now.
    Stern has gone UP in price and quantity for the same repackaged box of lights over and over again.
    The dam is gonna break for many reasons including the dwindling post Covid savings and overall economy.
    FOMO is def finished and that is what drove so many sales for Distros. Now they are gonna have to sit on a pile of future inventory. The weeding out process is coming.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love my pinball games, have plenty of them, but it’s gone past crazy.
    What do you think, poll coming, I know, Levi says prices going higher and higher. Not for me they aren’t.

I am not sure about JJP. I am hoping they learnt a lesson from Toy Story pricing, but I am not sure they did. They may raise prices again.

I think Stern will put prices up on the different models again. They have a back log of orders that will take them 12 months to clear out. They have no reason to reduce pricing. I think Stern will make less than 1000 Foo Fighter LEs. I also believe that one of the reasons Stern are moving to a bigger facility is to be able to make games for other companies (Competitors).

We are going to find out in the next month or so. I actually believe that both Stern and JJP have blinkers on when it comes to the market. They are not going to do anything unless their sales go down. It may take a few titles before Stern change anything. JJP may do it sooner unless their next game is a smash hit. It is going to be a very interesting 2023.

For us FOMO is finished. We have our collection where we want it, and it will take something pretty special (BBBrr and or Elwin) to get us to buy anything this coming year. It also means we would need to sell a game and I am not ready to let anything go yet.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I am not sure about JJP. I am hoping they learnt a lesson from Toy Story pricing, but I am not sure they did. They may raise prices again.
    I think Stern will put prices up on the different models again. They have a back log of orders that will take them 12 months to clear out. They have no reason to reduce pricing. I think Stern will make less than 1000 Foo Fighter LEs. I also believe that one of the reasons Stern are moving to a bigger facility is to be able to make games for other companies (Competitors).
    We are going to find out in the next month or so. I actually believe that both Stern and JJP have blinkers on when it comes to the market. They are not going to do anything unless their sales go down. It may take a few titles before Stern change anything. JJP may do it sooner unless their next game is a smash hit. It is going to be a very interesting 2023.
    For us FOMO is finished. We have our collection where we want it, and it will take something pretty special (BBBrr and or Elwin) to get us to buy anything this coming year. It also means we would need to sell a game and I am not ready to let anything go yet.

Wow PB, can JJP afford to raise price again with TS4 sitting? I don’t know.

Stern will have to make less than 500 FOO

And then will people say, “what a deal at $13k, only 500”

I don’t think so. The glut of pinball machines coming into the market is incredible.

And it’s a glut of over $10k priced pins. People start losing $$$ on resale and it’s a different mindset.

For us, we never did care about after market.

Stern woke up on the Metallica LE fiasco and it took them a long time to way over correct now

Life is a box of pinball lights/chocolates. Should always be about the fun factor and that is getting somewhat stripped now.

Choices are a good thing!

#7 1 year ago

JJP could finish the software on Pirates and sell plenty of LEs at 12.5K. Did they sell all their Pirates CEs? If not that's another easy 15K each for however many remain unbuilt.

#8 1 year ago

My distributor in the know told me sterns next is not foo fighters

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Who’s buying?
    JJP’s GODFATHER?
    JJP CEs for $15k, 1,000

Pinball pricing is about as ridiculous as someone with a 25-pin collection

On a serious note. Foo fighters / Godfather / Venom. Are these serious contenders for the next pins? That’s rough if true; good time to catch up on the backlog

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

My distributor in the know told me sterns next is not foo fighters

Hmmm. Me thinks it is based on Mnpinball, he’s never wrong. And reading between the lines on Jack Danger comments re his time and streaming.

We will see soon.

#11 1 year ago

I predict no price increase on Stern pros for their next game. They rarely(ever?) do it twice in a row, usually its once a year. The prem/le situation has been weirder though

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Pinball pricing is about as ridiculous as someone with a 25-pin collection
    On a serious note. Foo fighters / Godfather / Venom. Are these serious contenders for the next pins? That’s rough if true; good time to catch up on the backlog

SKB. Totally agree. But I didn’t pay these prices today.

And I’m 100% with you on GNR. . You have the right idea. Less is more

Can we go back to the good old TWD days when Stern juked us selling the LEs, said no premiums and then walla

Didn’t know who your old buddy Elwin was back then other than I was bragging about blowing up TWD, and I did. Think he bought a premium? But then I played it a few thousand times. Still love that game. Ha!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wow PB, can JJP afford to raise price again with TS4 sitting? I don’t know.
    Stern will have to make less than 500 FOO
    And then will people say, “what a deal at $13k, only 500”
    I don’t think so. The glut of pinball machines coming into the market is incredible.
    And it’s a glut of over $10k priced pins. People start losing $$$ on resale and it’s a different mindset.
    For us, we never did care about after market.
    Stern woke up on the Metallica LE fiasco and it took them a long time to way over correct now
    Life is a box of pinball lights/chocolates. Should always be about the fun factor and that is getting somewhat stripped now.
    Choices are a good thing!

Something else to think about. Stern can start pumping out VEs if the next few titles are sales flops. GB, ACDC, Met, Tron just to scratch the tip of the iceberg. They can give each game a new sticker set and call them "Anniversary Editions" , etc etc. $13K a pop. Make them in batches of 500. Keeps the line pumping along.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Something else to think about. Stern can start pumping out VEs if the next few titles are sales flops. GB, ACDC, Met, Tron just to scratch the tip of the iceberg. They can give each game a new sticker set and call them "Anniversary Editions" , etc etc. $13K a pop. Make them in batches of 500. Keeps the line pumping along.

They certainly can. But at what price?

There aren’t many of us left that can soak up these $13k pops over and over again.

I’m trying to play and enjoy what I have now. Can’t do it.

I am on the lookout for another LUCI AC/DC.

It’s all good life experiences. Can’t take it with you.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There aren’t many of us left that can soak up these $13k pops over and over again.

Ha ha! I love Luci! We have an original and love it..

Steve saying "Play better.." "Welcome to hell in a box" are some of the best call outs in Pinball ever. I am sure you will find another Luci soon..

"Good things for good people." My Dad used to say this all the time.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/151710

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How do you know?

10 years ago there was nobody who would pay those prices. Now there’s a ton. Maybe next year, there will be even more.

Pinball is still an incredibly niche hobby with tons of room to grow.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How do you know?
    10 years ago there was nobody who would pay those prices. Now there’s a ton. Maybe next year, there will be even more.

Keep dreaming “crazylevipinball.com”

Or maybe there are a ton that say F this.

Room to grow? Nah, they are killing the golden goose and you know it

It’s called demand destruction. And they are doing to themselves. Don’t shoot the messenger.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Stern obviously thinks there are more of them out there than you think.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Stern obviously thinks there are more of them out there than you think.

Yep. They do. Bout to find out Methos

Way too much supply coming above $10k

The produce a widget model is not sustainable long term.

Annuity revenue streams are the future if they can make it happen

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

This is correct. Sellers don't set prices. Buyers do, by demonstrating what they will pay. A seller can set any price but who knows if a transaction will ever happen. A buyer is the one who determines what the price actually paid will be. A smart seller will set his prices to what buyers will pay, not to anyone's notion of what something "should" cost.

If you want a less expensive game, buy a Stern Pro or an American Pinball title. Don't want to do that? Then it's your own choice to pay more for the more desirable item.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Keep dreaming “crazylevipinball.com”
    Or maybe there are a ton that say F this.
    Room to grow? Nah, they are killing the golden goose and you know it
    It’s called demand destruction. And they are doing to themselves. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Why such a hostile response?

I'm just asking if you think the hobby is done and there aren't gonna be more noobs there to pick up the slack?

We've hit the peak?

Did you only start this thread so you could yell at people, or have a good old fashioned civilized Pinside price thread discussion?

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm just asking if you think the hobby is done and there aren't gonna be more noobs there to pick up the slack?
    We've hit the peak?

Be careful. He doesn’t like debate and will put you on ignore if you doubt his “wisdom”. Very fragile ego.

#25 1 year ago

Larger companies like Stern and JJP will likely keep making more or less of some titles and be fine. Some LEs and premiums in the past (i.e. MET, WOZ etc.) sat on shelves for a bit and that was considered normal inventory. NIB buyers lost a bit on resale -that was the price to open a box.

#26 1 year ago

Good old days are coming back, where
    we buy to enjoy, not to play then expect a profit. I enjoyed making money too, but I'm getting priced out now

#27 1 year ago

Word is that TRON and Stranger Things Vault Edition is coming, will Venom be this year? They say Foo first.

JJPs coming out with Steve Ritchie’s Elton John pin
    Pirates rerun is currently on the table, but definitely not this year. Hopefully the licensor cuts them some slack.

Raw Thrills pinball coming this year too, if an industry Titan like Raw Thrills enters the pinball market Stern will finally have real completion. Mark Ritchie knows how to get things done right.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems to be quite popular with the younger sensitive hipster youth with ironic moustaches.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did you only start this thread so you could yell at people, or have a good old fashioned civilized Pinside price thread discussion?

Shit! I thought this as a good old bubble burst discussion….

#30 1 year ago

I'm just watching the prices wondering what ripple effect a new increase will have on the prices of old games. Every increase shifts the "tiers" and some games fall or stay stagnant while others go up the same % as NIB.

#31 1 year ago

Stern won't back down on prices. If times get tough sale wise, I can see them just getting cheaper and cheaper on pro models, or even attempting to add in a new affordable model under the Pro, taking ideas from the Home pin models of scaled down offerings.

It's clear their newer pro models have been getting lot less overall on the field than they used to give us on pro models.

#32 1 year ago

As prices have continued to rise I'm enjoying my full size virtual pinball purchase more and more. Real pinball is better of course but I only have so much space and funds for pins. I know the thing will be worth half the price what I bought it for down the road but I don't care, having the ability to play Addams Family, Getaway, T2, Monster Bash, STTNG, XMEN, Iron Maiden, and dozens of others fairly accurately has been priceless. The desire to regularly sell and buy new games is gone because of the VPIN. I recently sold a Hobbit LE, will buy a Godzilla Premium later this year and call it a day for a while.

#33 1 year ago

I have 6 pins and that's it for me, prices have gotten too crazy. I will probably just sell my POTC Le to fund something new...I think it's pretty exciting if raw thrills is getting into the hobby

#34 1 year ago

I am sticking with the collection I currently have - going to have to be something very special to part me with my money at these prices

#35 1 year ago

People have been saying they are priced out long time ago and yet demand just keeps going up. Not every game is a huge hit but Stern/JJP probably sell enough to keep lines moving. All you need is that one big fomo theme every few years.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As prices have continued to rise I'm enjoying my full size virtual pinball purchase more and more. Real pinball is better of course but I only have so much space and funds for pins. I know the thing will be worth half the price what I bought it for down the road but I don't care, having the ability to play Addams Family, Getaway, T2, Monster Bash, STTNG, XMEN, Iron Maiden, and dozens of others fairly accurately has been priceless. The desire to regularly sell and buy new games is gone because of the VPIN. I recently sold a Hobbit LE, will buy a Godzilla Premium later this year and call it a day for a while.

Which one did you get? VPCabs?

I had the vertigo years back, it was fun for sure...I would assume the graphics have improved, and you can get some with actual feedback, need to try it

#37 1 year ago

I have 4 pins, going down to 3...Prices are crazy high, but there have been some awesome pins that have come out in the last 3-4 years...The hobby is strong for sure

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Shit! I thought this as a good old bubble burst discussion….

It's kind of a new concept around here.

We have a lot of new pricing threads where people predict vague storm clouds and doom, yet won't flat out say "the bubble is going to burst!"

If you ask them to explain themselves they get angry. We got some mean drunks around here but that shouldn't come as news to anybody.

Does "demand destruction!" mean the same thing as the "bubble will burst?"

I guess we'll all have to pour another few drinks and wait and see!

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

People have been saying they are priced out long time ago and yet demand just keeps going up. Not every game is a huge hit but Stern/JJP probably sell enough to keep lines moving. All you need is that one big fomo theme every few years.

It's a bit too early to tell yet, we've only had several price increases now in the past 2 years, if things are going to slow down it's not really going to be noticed for another couple years probably. As prices go up, inventory builds up, people's space is limited and grows to a premium. I mean Bond just launched and all the distros around here have a bunch of NIB sitting around still, it's not been selling out like some of the other recent releases, but also it feels like sterns been making their newer stuff in larger quantities too so it could just be too much supply is starting to happen also. But eventually it's all going to reach a plateau where availability and pricing is going to meet and things are gonna slow down.

With how some folks spend on pins, pricing is not going to be an issue for them, but for some folks it will almost surely matter. But again it's going to be a slow process to see any real effects, we just had a pinball boom in recent years so we are seeing more pins getting made than ever. But can distros and consumers handle the influx of inventory as well as increasing prices forever? It's got to reach a stoppling/slowing point

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

They just expanded again, and you think prices are going down? Nope. They'll increase again. It'll be smaller this time: $200 more for a Pro, $500 for a Premium, and about $750 for an LE. They know what they're doing. They know some of you have to have every special snowflake LE and you must have the new and shiney NOW.
    If they were to release Back to the Future, nearly everyone here would cave even if prices jumped $1000 on all 3 models. Got to impress nobody that cares.

Just because stern expanded doesn’t mean they can arbitrarily raise prices. We, the consumers, set the price, not the manufacturer. Once we stop buying at the rates we are stern, and others, will be forced to stop the increases or possibly decrease. JJP learned the hard way with TS4 which will impact their pricing model moving forward.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

It's a bit too early to tell yet, we've only had several price increases now in the past 2 years, if things are going to slow down it's not really going to be noticed for another couple years probably. As prices go up, inventory builds up, people's space is limited and grows to a premium. I mean Bond just launched and all the distros around here have a bunch of NIB sitting around still, it's not been selling out like some of the other recent releases, but also it feels like sterns been making their newer stuff in larger quantities too so it could just be too much supply is starting to happen also. But eventually it's all going to reach a plateau where availability and pricing is going to meet and things are gonna slow down.

Exactly this. Last few years demand outpaced supply. Do we really think that continues? I don’t. There will be a retraction in demand as well as an increase in supply. Right now is a the dumbest time for any company to increase prices on already expensive non-essential items.

#42 1 year ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #43 1 year ago

Didn't GOTG release at a higher price and then have a price reduction a short time later?

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I mean Bond just launched and all the distros around here have a bunch of NIB sitting around still, it's not been selling out like some of the other recent releases...

But Bond was released (unfinished) on the coattails of GZ and Rush; the number 1 game to date by Elwin, and a very deep and interesting Borg layout, while Bond is an unfinished, buggy and awkward mess.

I mean, GZ Premiums sell as fast as they are made. JP Prems, DP Prems, EHOH Prems, all these machines are flying off the line and into homes and locations for whatever price they want. Games that attract location attention will always sell for whatever price they want because they are money makers and can easily be a justified business expense/purchase, and in some cases the higher cost is BETTER for the business.

Stern has the location market almost cornered; they make reliable and fun machines with themes that attract players. CGC is only a player in this market because their remakes are robust and also attract a lot of attention and money due to the fact that they have remade 4 of the most popular pinball machines ever made. Stern has the attention and demand of a market with deep pockets, their prices won't be coming down anywhere significant anytime soon and the used market for other machines in the same "tier" will keep following the trend.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've hit the peak?

Nothing hostile about it. I have a smile on my face.

Not implying the hobby is “done” at all

I see prices that have risen to ridiculous levels and nothing has changed except theme.

No arguing there are great games. I have some them.

As somebody that has been around quite a while, not as long as you have, I don’t see how they sustain the goose at these levels.

Not just me

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's kind of a new concept around here.
    We have a lot of new pricing threads where people predict vague storm clouds and doom, yet won't flat out say "the bubble is going to burst!"
    If you ask them to explain themselves they get angry. We got some mean drunks around here but that shouldn't come as news to anybody.
    Does "demand destruction!" mean the same thing as the "bubble will burst?"
    I guess we'll all have to pour another few drinks and wait and see!

No need to get all defensive and butt hurt about it.

When prices go to high it’s called “demand destruction”.

When prices at the pump got to high people make adjustments in driving habits and then prices come down.

Pinball isn’t food or gas, we don’t have to have it.

Not a tough concept. Prices keep reaching new levels and consumers will drop out

Stern or any of them can’t survive on location play. Lowest margin pros

#47 1 year ago

In a 'normal' market used games sell for less than new games. You buy it new, enjoy it for a while, and then you sell it at some loss because it's used and worth less.

People who don't want to pay NIB prices wait a bit and pick it up later for less. That's how it was for most of the 'collector' era of pinball. It's healthy and normal.

This has become broken by pandemic and supply chain madness, people expect to buy a game and sell it for equal to or more than they paid for. They justify spending large amounts because it's not really 'spending' it's just banked for a bit and then they get their cash back out, and often make a little profit to boot, all while playing pinball.

It's obviously not sustainable, at some point supply and demand evens out to make things return to normal. At that point I do wonder if this new breed of collectors who's only known the broken model is going to start bailing on constantly buying when they start losing money on their purchases again.

#48 1 year ago

We have already seen “demand destruction” with JJP and TS4

Same with Bond 60th and maybe the LEs

The question I’m sure JJP is asking themselves, “what next”?

They really gonna try and launch another $15k CE with 1,000 units on Godfather

Foo Fighters? Same pricing as Bond?

Not a stretch to say that is NOT sustainable

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No need to get all defensive and butt hurt about it.

Not butthurt, I have a smile on my face!

I've just heard it all before over the last 20 years and wondering why this is different.

According to you, it's because prices are too damn high.

Sounds good! I await the demand destruction just like everybody else. Tired of paying these crazy prices.

Pinball prices are nuts!! Am I right?!?!?

And to answer what I think was your question, I think the prices and quantity will remain the same for this round of releases. Quantity as well. Next Stern LE will be (at least advertised as) 1,000.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not butthurt, I have a smile on my face!
    I've just heard it all before over the last 20 years and wondering why this is different.
    According to you, it's because prices are too damn high.
    Sounds good! I await the demand destruction just like everybody else. Tired of paying these crazy prices.
    Pinball prices are nuts!! Am I right?!?!?
    And to answer what I think was your question, I think the prices and quantity will remain the same for this round of releases. Quantity as well. Next Stern LE will be (at least advertised as) 1,000.

You haven’t heard/seen a pandemic and the impacts of supply side interruptions as well as artificial demand increases due to shutdowns and government stimulus.

Can you name anything in the last 20 years that resembles the current market?

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighter-and-jjp-pricing-and-quantity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.