Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

139fbe4b264c80a55874b5681c891e778c684450 (resized).jpg
a8c319a4359e1cd7683069f757571e4a978e7c25 (resized).jpg
4adbc891782becbec1ad37f81e06a12095afd868 (resized).jpg
IMG_3736 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Yesterday, I was driving home from the Outer Banks of North Carolina and had to stop at Flippers Arcade in Grandy, NC. The last several months I have been spending a lot of my free time watching YouTube videos of pinball machines. I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to mask up and stop in Flippers to see what I could play.

I was impressed with their collection of pinball machines. For $5 I played their "pinball museum" for an hour. It was a blast.

Here are the games I played and my newbie impressions of them.

Addams Family - I played it once. It was a very quick game. If I remember correctly, I drained a couple balls on the left side and one down the middle. I hardly was able to do anything before my 3 balls were gone.

Black Knight 2000 - Easily my favorite game that I played there. Love, love, love the music. The game is beautiful. Love the flashing lights and the music. I enjoyed the game play. I have been watching how it plays on YouTube and I was able to get the gate thing down, but never got more than 1 ball across the bridge and locked. I was able to lock some balls several times on the lower play field and got multi-ball a few times. I was able to use the magna save once, which was cool. I really like the game and I thought it was challenging. Its a beautiful machine. One of the rubber band things on the left side of the lower play field was broken on this particular machine. I could see owning this one. It's an impressive machine, beautiful, flashy, and such a great song. I played 3 or 4 games on it.

Black Knight Sword of Rage - Pro - I really enjoyed this machine too. I wish it had the upper play field, but I had a great time on this machine. I played 3 or 4 games on it. I was entertained. Fun music and call outs from the Black Knight. The ramp things that I was able to hit were smooth and fun. The Black Knight guy was fun to bash. I locked 2 balls behind the shield thing. I didn't get very far into the game. I think I fought the Hydra. I can't remember if I got a multi-ball, but I might have. I dig the Black Knight theme and wanted to keep playing the game, but made myself try some other machines. I wish the magna save was on the side by the flipper button.

The Beatles - I liked this machine. I only played it once. I wasn't able to quite figure out what I had to do to progress into other modes. I enjoyed the music, but had trouble hearing the songs well because the Black Knight was still playing behind me. haha. The layout of the machine was very different and it took me a while to get the hang of the top 2 flippers. The magnet thing at the top of the play field was neat, but I couldn't figure out what made it come on and stop my ball and drop it. I liked how the game was bright and of course the Beatles music was nice.

Medieval Madness - I liked it. I think I only played it once or twice. I don't know if all the machines are like this one, but it was really dark and I felt it needed more lighting on the play field. Maybe this machine had a problem? It was fun. I hit the castle a bunch and eventually the trolls popped up. For some reason I couldn't hit the trolls and they eventually went back down. The machine had Monty Python type people talking to me, at least that's what it reminded me of.

Monster Bash - I liked this one too. I had difficulty hearing the sounds and music. I couldn't figure out how to progress in this game. I think I got the creature from the black lagoon sign illimunated up to the 3rd light. It seemed really smooth to play. The Black Night was calling me again. I want to play this game some more.

Whirlwind - I liked it. The fan topper wasn't working. A few times the game acted like the wind was blowing, but the topper fan didn't come on. I got balls into those hatches on the play field. I hit the ramp a few times. I couldn't quite figure out what I had to do in this game. I enjoyed it a lot. Again, Black Knight 2000 was calling me. I want to play this game some more.

I am looking forward to returning to Flippers in the future. I want to play Stranger Things, The Wizard of Oz, Batman 66, Lord of the Rings. They had so many machines and I was the only person playing them.

Is something wrong with me for liking Black Knight 2000 and Black Knight Sword of Rage Pro so much? haha

#2 3 years ago

I had full intentions of picking up a Medieval Madness machine last week, but ended up buying Black Knight Sword of Rage Premium instead (after multiple plays on both at the arcade). BK is a ton of fun! I think I’d hate playing it if I were paying per play because it’s relatively difficult! I’d guess I’m playing at least 15 games every night.

Good to hear you enjoyed the BK2000... I’ve been thinking about adding one next to my BKSoR, but haven’t personally played it.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Is something wrong with me for liking Black Knight 2000 and Black Knight Sword of Rage Pro so much? haha

Nope! The best thing about pinball is that there are so many games to choose from you can find the ones you have the most fun with!

#4 3 years ago

Well, according to your reviews, you like pinball. Congrats!

When you become an owner? It's like a disease, because it just keeps spreading.

#5 3 years ago

Welcome to pinball!

I am 20 minutes down the road in Crofton and have a few suggestions for local pinball.

If you are worried about COVID, hands down the best place to go near you is the MOMs Organic Market in College Park Maryland. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/11547-mom-s-organic-market-college-park-md they have 30+ well maintained machines including the Lord of The Rings and Batman 66 you mentioned as well as the latest hotness like Led Zeppelin and Avengers. Machines ranging back to the 1970s. Additionally, the machines are pretty spread out, and they have by far the longest hours of anyplace around. If you are worried about other people, they open at 9 a.m. with the grocery store and are usually deserted until the evening. You can go there and not come within 20 feet of another person. Its as safe as you can get while playing without owning one. It’s 50 cents a game for the good stuff too. Make your next grocery run there and check it out. Machines are hidden in a separate room to the left once you go inside behind a big red curtain. 10/10 would recommend for COVID skittish.

Another place closer to you is VUK in Bethesda. Pizza bar with 10+ machines, usually the lastest Stern hotness. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/9002-vuk-bethesda-md The guy who owns the MOMs chain is a huge pinball fan and has his personal collection spilling into VUK and MOMs from what I understand. Both these places do pinball leagues if you get interested when things calm down.

The last and my personal favorite is CrabtowneUSA. They have more vintage games and a vintage arcade. 30ish pins including your Black Knight 2000… at .25cent per play. Cream of crab soup here is amazing and I try to sneak in for an hour or so every other week or so on my way home from work. Machines are not in as good condition as the other places, but still worth checking out. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/1526-crabtowne-usa-glen-burnie-md
Between all of these places, if I were worried about COVID I would think that MOMs in College park is your number one pick. If you are not worried they are all great. There are other places nearby but these are the closest to you at 20 minutes away… 80 pinball machines.

I’ve got 5 myself if you ever want to swing by Crofton you are welcome to try out my Rick and Morty, Black Knight, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Twilight Zone, and Star Trek, The Next Generation (lineup subject to change).

Welcome to the hobby and glad you got to play some pinball!

139fbe4b264c80a55874b5681c891e778c684450 (resized).jpg139fbe4b264c80a55874b5681c891e778c684450 (resized).jpg4adbc891782becbec1ad37f81e06a12095afd868 (resized).jpg4adbc891782becbec1ad37f81e06a12095afd868 (resized).jpgIMG_3736 (resized).jpgIMG_3736 (resized).jpga8c319a4359e1cd7683069f757571e4a978e7c25 (resized).jpga8c319a4359e1cd7683069f757571e4a978e7c25 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Yesterday, I was driving home from the Outer Banks of North Carolina and had to stop at Flippers Arcade in Grandy, NC. The last several months I have been spending a lot of my free time watching YouTube videos of pinball machines. I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to mask up and stop in Flippers to see what I could play.
I was impressed with their collection of pinball machines. For $5 I played their "pinball museum" for an hour. It was a blast.
Here are the games I played and my newbie impressions of them.
Addams Family - I played it once. It was a very quick game. If I remember correctly, I drained a couple balls on the left side and one down the middle. I hardly was able to do anything before my 3 balls were gone.
Black Knight 2000 - Easily my favorite game that I played there. Love, love, love the music. The game is beautiful. Love the flashing lights and the music. I enjoyed the game play. I have been watching how it plays on YouTube and I was able to get the gate thing down, but never got more than 1 ball across the bridge and locked. I was able to lock some balls several times on the lower play field and got multi-ball a few times. I was able to use the magna save once, which was cool. I really like the game and I thought it was challenging. Its a beautiful machine. One of the rubber band things on the left side of the lower play field was broken on this particular machine. I could see owning this one. It's an impressive machine, beautiful, flashy, and such a great song. I played 3 or 4 games on it.
Black Knight Sword of Rage - Pro - I really enjoyed this machine too. I wish it had the upper play field, but I had a great time on this machine. I played 3 or 4 games on it. I was entertained. Fun music and call outs from the Black Knight. The ramp things that I was able to hit were smooth and fun. The Black Knight guy was fun to bash. I locked 2 balls behind the shield thing. I didn't get very far into the game. I think I fought the Hydra. I can't remember if I got a multi-ball, but I might have. I dig the Black Knight theme and wanted to keep playing the game, but made myself try some other machines. I wish the magna save was on the side by the flipper button.
The Beatles - I liked this machine. I only played it once. I wasn't able to quite figure out what I had to do to progress into other modes. I enjoyed the music, but had trouble hearing the songs well because the Black Knight was still playing behind me. haha. The layout of the machine was very different and it took me a while to get the hang of the top 2 flippers. The magnet thing at the top of the play field was neat, but I couldn't figure out what made it come on and stop my ball and drop it. I liked how the game was bright and of course the Beatles music was nice.
Medieval Madness - I liked it. I think I only played it once or twice. I don't know if all the machines are like this one, but it was really dark and I felt it needed more lighting on the play field. Maybe this machine had a problem? It was fun. I hit the castle a bunch and eventually the trolls popped up. For some reason I couldn't hit the trolls and they eventually went back down. The machine had Monty Python type people talking to me, at least that's what it reminded me of.
Monster Bash - I liked this one too. I had difficulty hearing the sounds and music. I couldn't figure out how to progress in this game. I think I got the creature from the black lagoon sign illimunated up to the 3rd light. It seemed really smooth to play. The Black Night was calling me again. I want to play this game some more.
Whirlwind - I liked it. The fan topper wasn't working. A few times the game acted like the wind was blowing, but the topper fan didn't come on. I got balls into those hatches on the play field. I hit the ramp a few times. I couldn't quite figure out what I had to do in this game. I enjoyed it a lot. Again, Black Knight 2000 was calling me. I want to play this game some more.
I am looking forward to returning to Flippers in the future. I want to play Stranger Things, The Wizard of Oz, Batman 66, Lord of the Rings. They had so many machines and I was the only person playing them.

You should consider reviewing these games here on pinside. The cool thing is you can go back and update your ratings as you get more time in the hobby or on a specific machine. It can be interesting to go back and look at how you rated a game before and compare to how you feel about it afterwards.

#7 3 years ago

sataneatscheese - Thanks for the tips about where to play. I had heard about the MOM supermarket and some place in Frederick that had pinball machines. I'll have to check all of these places out. In theory, I could make a side-stop by MOMs on my drive home from work in the evenings. I work in DC.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the money to purchase any of the games I want. I have the money to buy them, but mentally I can't justify buying a pinball machine for what I would spend on a used automobile. haha. I think I'll have to get something old or not popular. Electro Mechanical games don't interest me. Some classic Stern solid state might be as old as I could go. So I'm open for suggestions and if anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is wanting to sell something, I would be open to thinking about it.

Dang, I want to play all of these games again. haha

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Welcome to pinball!
I am 20 minutes down the road in Crofton and have a few suggestions for local pinball.
If you are worried about COVID, hands down the best place to go near you is the MOMs Organic Market in College Park Maryland. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/11547-mom-s-organic-market-college-park-md they have 30+ well maintained machines including the Lord of The Rings and Batman 66 you mentioned as well as the latest hotness like Led Zeppelin and Avengers. Machines ranging back to the 1970s. Additionally, the machines are pretty spread out, and they have by far the longest hours of anyplace around. If you are worried about other people, they open at 9 a.m. with the grocery store and are usually deserted until the evening. You can go there and not come within 20 feet of another person. Its as safe as you can get while playing without owning one. It’s 50 cents a game for the good stuff too. Make your next grocery run there and check it out. Machines are hidden in a separate room to the left once you go inside behind a big red curtain. 10/10 would recommend for COVID skittish.
Another place closer to you is VUK in Bethesda. Pizza bar with 10+ machines, usually the lastest Stern hotness. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/9002-vuk-bethesda-md The guy who owns the MOMs chain is a huge pinball fan and has his personal collection spilling into VUK and MOMs from what I understand. Both these places do pinball leagues if you get interested when things calm down.
The last and my personal favorite is CrabtowneUSA. They have more vintage games and a vintage arcade. 30ish pins including your Black Knight 2000… at .25cent per play. Cream of crab soup here is amazing and I try to sneak in for an hour or so every other week or so on my way home from work. Machines are not in as good condition as the other places, but still worth checking out. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/1526-crabtowne-usa-glen-burnie-md
Between all of these places, if I were worried about COVID I would think that MOMs in College park is your number one pick. If you are not worried they are all great. There are other places nearby but these are the closest to you at 20 minutes away… 80 pinball machines.
I’ve got 5 myself if you ever want to swing by Crofton you are welcome to try out my Rick and Morty, Black Knight, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Twilight Zone, and Star Trek, The Next Generation (lineup subject to change).
Welcome to the hobby and glad you got to play some pinball![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is a really nice post. It is these types of informative and kind posts directed towards strangers, that got me to join pinside. It is a really great way to grow the community. If I was on that side of the country I would buy you a beer. Cheers

*sidenote- someday I’ll make it to MOM’s. Place looks so cool.

#9 3 years ago

Dan,
I am located in Columbia and am probably only a 5 or 10 minute drive from you. When all this COVID stuff is done, you are welcome to come over and play some of my machines. They range from early 80's SS up to JP Prem from 2019.

Sataneatscheese was spot on. MOM's is awesome and their layout is a bit more COVID friendly. Crabtowne is about 30 min drive and has a lot of games as well (Including BK2000). They do Pinball League there every Tuesday and I participate. I think they are still doing it, but I am waiting until I am vaccinated until I return.

If you don't mind a bit more of a drive, also consider Spinners up in Frederick. Sort of like the Flippers you mentioned. You pay like $15 or $20, but can play all day long. They opened up the back room last year and have a ton of games from EM up to the new ones.

Feel free to PM me on here if you would like to chat more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,350 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-playing-all-of-these-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.