• Latest reply 14 hours ago by spidey
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is buying Steve Ritchie's Elton John?”

• Only if it's not Elton John 29 votes
    4%
  • I'm a Steve Ritchie Fan and can't wait to see what he has done with it! 108 votes
    14%
  • I'll make up my mind after expo 81 votes
    11%
  • Please God don't be Elton John 274 votes
    36%
  • Next title please! 267 votes
    35%

(759 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0780 (resized).JPG
DSCN0779 (resized).JPG
IMG_7771 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
641576EB-0803-423B-8DBC-83105A851E3D.gif
IMG_6183.jpeg
IMG_6186.jpeg
JJP Super Kit (resized).jpg
350261786_1590528618099089_4327790555646466687_n (resized).jpg
IMG_5265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5298 (resized).png
IMG_9307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9302 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1365 Track List Posted by bobukcat (6 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#333 6 months ago

if it is tastefully done, has lots of cool toys and mechs, great rules, no multiball orgies or in general rulesets like the last few JJP games, some participation from Elton John, some new music not available on CD, maybe some references to Bally Wizard or Capt’n Fantastic, then I could see considering a purchase. Otherwise…not so much interest. I would also like to see JJP drop these insipid overblown light shows - leave that for the CEs.

#335 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

To be honest, I think in order to pull this game off at all, it needs to be the complete opposite of "tastefully done". It needs to be flamboyant and over the top

you may be right. I gave up a while ago trying to understand what Pinsiders want. The obsession with theme baffles me. I’m only posting what I would like to see in a pin. I like Elton John for his great 70’s albums, after Blue Moves not so much.

#346 6 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Anything else you like for your Elton John pin sir?

surprise me

#660 6 months ago

For the current pricing, a new pin would only make sense to buy if it is so amazing I cannot imagine not having it. Not like GF - after about 30 minutes and seeing balls dropping on mattresses for the 20th time or hearing “I’ll make him offer he can’t refuse” 8 times I knew I never needed to see this game again let alone buy it. Here’s hoping for something great.

#704 6 months ago
Quoted from Triplecdad:

Kolchak - one of the best ever. As a kid I used to get so frustrated that no one ever believed him. It was delicious disappointment at the end of each episode when he would win, but also lose.

I’ve had those Kolchak DVDs in my collection a while, but couldn’t really get into the stories. Should I get them out and give them another try?

#723 6 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Look at the photo. widebody right?

if it means more toys then yes!

#910 6 months ago

well, I’m going upstairs, coffee and cookies in hand, and will put on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to celebrate this momentous occasion! All you complainers can try to unbunch your panties now.

#2000 6 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What could really be done in pinball to make anything feel like 12-15K, really?

how about a $4000 rebate ?

#2505 6 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nah. The tradeoffs were just too extreme to save $2,750. I don't think a stripped out Elton John SE at $9,250 would do any better that prior SEs. There's just too much taken out, and in the case of Elton John, what would that be? Color hotrails are gone, but also the Piano? The Rocket? What toys are left to strip? Basically if the theme appeals to you, LE is as base as you will go. If it doesn't appeal to you, then price isn't the main problem.

My vision of “my” EJ SE would be minus hot rails, minus DMD on the piano, minus topper, minus side blade decals, standard cabinet decals, stainless steel armour, minus LEDs on the circular ramp - kind of like DI SE - playfield and gameplay the same as LE.

#2508 6 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Taking out those things is only going to get you $500-ish off. So you've stripped those out and now have an $11,500 pin. Don't see how that helps them sell more. They strip a LOT, to the point the attractive stuff is gone and no one buys that model, to make an SE. I don't see them trying it again.

if you use that philosophy a Stern Premium would cost maybe $500 more than a pro. There’s always a much bigger margin on the more premium games.

#2515 6 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can't apply the same principles to Stern Pro/Prem except in a VERY GENERAL sense, because JJP's "base" machine overhead is so much more than Stern. Stern is a whole different ball of wax and expectations are very different.

I would support the statement that JJP machines are more expensive to build. I do suspect JJP is pumping so many resources in the light show, choreography, etc. that they don’t want to sell lower price models with which they don’t get a return on all that. I reckon they calculate higher returns without SEs. Maybe that’s what you mean. I also have the impression the SEs were kind of a flop for JJP - again maybe what you mean with expectations. But why this is, I never really understood. Ok, lots of people buy Stern pros and some try to justify the extra money for the premium even though the extra bom is only a small fraction of the oncost. Go figure.

But still, I am sure I am not the only one who would consider an EJ SE, but probably not enough people. And the price difference between SE and LE had been historically lower than that of Stern peo and pre, but JJP could change that. People would still probably buy more LEs - good for JJP.

So maybe I’m agreeing with you, I’m not sure.

#2519 6 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You are. You just don't know it yet.

thanks for the heads up.

1 week later
#3084 5 months ago

what do we need a stream for? We‘ve already collectively decided the game is too expensive.

#3086 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's classic "This food is awful...and such small portions!"

who‘s talking about food?

1 week later
#3331 5 months ago

I‘ve made the decision to wait for the SE, then I‘ll decide. I realize it might be a while, or maybe never, but I I‘ve accepted it.

I think this game would be well suited to make an SE. There‘s a lot of superfluous bling that could be eliminated without affecting gameplay. I‘d even accept virtual locks in the piano (grudgingly).

And yes, JJP SEs have not been real popular in the past, but maybe 3000 posts suggesting the current prices might be a tad high could just maybe be an indication of changing winds.

1 week later
#3487 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

People should spend more time actually understanding their games and less time gluing 3d printed garbage into them.

oh dear, I just ordered side blades for my taf - not really 3d so I guess I‘m ok. I do think I know the rules pretty well, but I always forget what the *THING* lights in the backbox tell me.

1 week later
#3588 5 months ago

I was always impressed with what JJP did with the DI screen - they had to create something completely from scratch. Most of the other games had pre-existing videos to draw from. It seems to me that would make things easier (but maybe more expensive because of licencing fees).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Elton John PE Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elton-john-hype-thread?tu=branlon8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.