(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,752 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by EmptyH
  • Topic is favorited by 199 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

InGame (resized).jpeg
Outside (resized).jpeg
Inside (resized).jpeg
DS Hole (resized).jpg
IMG_8343 (resized).jpg
IMG_8340 (resized).jpg
IMG_8342 (resized).jpg
IMG_8344 (resized).jpg
IMG_8338 (resized).jpg
IMG_8337 (resized).jpg
c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
There are 4,752 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 96.
#601 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Wow, them look great. It is a good thing I own a DE so I could take measurements. The funny part is, I used my DE Star Trek 25th as reference. I know some people say you can only like one or the other but I am a huge fan of both SW and ST. Well only the first (3) SW films. Very happy they turned out. Since seeing photos of your new DE:SW and with the chrome caps I have added DE:SW to my wish list

Well there is a beautiful DE SW for sale right now on here. So jump on it!! Pretty nice machine!

#602 9 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that Marco sells the upgrade playfield support brackets I need. They are 'upgraded' versions with four screw holes instead of two. Part #535-0005-00

#603 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Just wanted to let everyone know that Marco sells the upgrade playfield support brackets I need. They are 'upgraded' versions with four screw holes instead of two. Part #535-0005-00

I just installed them on my DESW this week. Nice and sturdy but I balked a bit at the price!

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

I just installed them on my DESW this week. Nice and sturdy but I balked a bit at the price!

The price is a killer.

#605 9 years ago

Spent some time today on mine and cleaned the inserts of the coil dust and installed LEDs. Next few weeks I'll strip down the playfield, shop it and install LEDs in the GIs. Looks a lot better already with the inserts lit well. I have mirror blades to install once I have it all put back together, should look sharp.

#606 9 years ago

Hey, while I'm thinking of it, I'm looking for a Jabba's Bounty plastic if anyone has one for sale or knows who is selling one. Otherwise I'm just placing a micromachine Jabba up on top of it.

#607 9 years ago

On the left side, the wood was ripped out where the original support was. I glued as much of the remaining wood back in, so I was glad the replacements had extra screw holes. Few more things I need to do to finish this game - ordered touch up paint, will need to replace legs, and translite needs a new channel plastic on left side. After that I'm calling it done.

#608 9 years ago

I ordered one of those repro Darth Vader toppers from eBay for I think 100 shipped. It came and had a slight scratch along the bottom of it. Emailed the guy and he sent me another one. So does anyone want to buy my spare? Just pm if interested. Not original, but looks identical...

#609 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Hey, while I'm thinking of it, I'm looking for a Jabba's Bounty plastic if anyone has one for sale or knows who is selling one. Otherwise I'm just placing a micromachine Jabba up on top of it.

I have a repro one. Doesn't have the original bend in it. It's just a flat piece.

#610 9 years ago

Good to see you guys givin the game lots of love, that's why I started the club. Thanks guys.

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just saw one last night at pinballcenter.eu. lots of star wars plastics on that site!

#612 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Tech Question: I'm mostly through with a topside teardown/clean/wax/rubber replacement. The manual says the machine uses 5 long post rubbers (page 32 if you're following along at home). The rubber kit for this machine includes 5 (from Marcos).
So maybe I've been staring at little metal posts too long but I see only 4. Is this a mistake in the manual or am I missing something? I have new rubbers on bumper posts on either side of the ramp opening and either side of the C3PO shot. I've already found some screwball previous owner/operator "fixes" that I've had to replace to bring back to original spec so maybe they removed a bumper post somewhere?
Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quoted from stepside:

May have figured it out.... is there supposed to be one on the R2 post?? Anyone have one there??

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone could take a look at their machine or if anyone here has experience replacing rubbers on this machine and could offer some help.

On another note, just wanted to give a kudos to Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron for reworking my MPU. Sent it in for a bad slingshot transistor and he fixed that along with cleaning up, replacing several other components (most of this was over my head), and testing the completed unit for a mere $88. Oh and he installed a remote battery pack to boot. Plugged it right up and it works like a charm!

Only downside was that his backlog was then about 6 weeks, which fortunately motivated me to do a topside teardown while it was out of commission. Found lots of hacks as far as wrong posts,screws, strange rubber substitutions/rerouting, incomplete "100% LED conversion!!!" and took a lot of time and many small orders to Marcos and Pinball Life to get it close to original condition as possible (exception of LEDs of course).

Looks great and plays WAY faster now. It'll be awhile before I can get close to my old grand champion score.

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

is there supposed to be one on the R2 post?? Anyone have one there??

I need a picture of where your talking about.

#614 9 years ago

I'm thinking maybe the center shaft under R2-D2? It's about the right size and in an area of the pf that the ball could travel in.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I need a picture of where your talking about.

playfield2_3.jpgplayfield2_3.jpg
#615 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

I'm thinking maybe the center shaft under R2-D2? It's about the right size and in an area of the pf that the ball could travel in.

playfield2_3.jpg 132 KB

I see much better what your talking about. No rubber goes there and besides there's no way to get a rubber on it. Also, if you REALLY want to light up R2's head put 2 of Comets 6.3v 7 led strips in place of the 2 bulbs. WOW!!! Do you plan on putting leds in the game?

#616 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see much better what your talking about. No rubber goes there and besides there's no way to get a rubber on it. Also, if you REALLY want to light up R2's head put 2 of Comets 6.3v 7 led strips in place of the 2 bulbs. WOW!!! Do you plan on putting leds in the game?

Hrmmm..... maybe the manual was wrong?

I've got 2 blue flex LEDs in R2's head currently. Looks pretty good but I just googled those comet strips and they look like a neat product. Lots of possibilities with the multiple socket configurations and seems like a good price too. Any flicker issues?

#617 9 years ago

Late posting but I joined the club last weekend. Picked up one locally that need a little TLC. Ramp required 4 TIG welds, as the right side was more than halfway to breaking off. R2D2 wouldn't jump and some flashers wouldn't fire, both related to transistors that had been replaced but not enough solder put down to make contact with the pcb. Needed a scrub cleaning and all new rubber. Some old solder from previous repair had dripped onto a molex connector and shorted out the c3p0 trough switch. Needs Cliffy's (on the way) and had to sand and lacquer the shooter lane. Plastic shield over DMD was scratched up so I just removed it (I wonder if the damage is from those nubs on the dmd itself, it's an old Cherry display). Upgraded to 1.04 ROM and added a bunch of LED's in the inserts. Replaced the left yellow target of the front pair and put in new target foam in all the targets. Added cab connection to my external sub.

Seems to play great now, but have spent may more time fixing it than playing it. I love the uber dangerous Death Star shot. Still need to touch up the cab, mostly the front. The bumper caps all have cracks so I got red ones from Marco, but they're almost too red compared to the orange-ish originals that go better with the pf artwork. Might consider doing 2 red and 2 green to mimic the light saber duel. Anyway, it's a cool game and is loaded with toys. Amazing what they did in the 90's. One odd thing with Data East is the volume control is buried deep in the menu and is only 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

IMAG0233.jpgIMAG0233.jpg IMAG0223.jpgIMAG0223.jpg
#618 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Late posting but I joined the club last weekend. Picked up one locally that need a little TLC. Ramp required 4 TIG welds, as the right side was more than halfway to breaking off. R2D2 wouldn't jump and some flashers wouldn't fire, both related to transistors that had been replaced but not enough solder put down to make contact with the pcb. Needed a scrub cleaning and all new rubber. Some old solder from previous repair had dripped onto a molex connector and shorted out the c3p0 trough switch. Needs Cliffy's (on the way) and had to sand and lacquer the shooter lane. Plastic shield over DMD was scratched up so I just removed it (I wonder if the damage is from those nubs on the dmd itself, it's an old Cherry display). Upgraded to 1.04 ROM and added a bunch of LED's in the inserts. Replaced the left yellow target of the front pair and put in new target foam in all the targets. Added cab connection to my external sub.
Seems to play great now, but have spent may more time fixing it than playing it. I love the uber dangerous Death Star shot. Still need to touch up the cab, mostly the front. The bumper caps all have cracks so I got red ones from Marco, but they're almost too red compared to the orange-ish originals that go better with the pf artwork. Might consider doing 2 red and 2 green to mimic the light saber duel. Anyway, it's a cool game and is loaded with toys. Amazing what they did in the 90's. One odd thing with Data East is the volume control is buried deep in the menu and is only 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

IMAG0233.jpg 192 KB

IMAG0223.jpg 400 KB

Looks good but fyi there is a volume dial in the cabinet but the service outlet but if you have the menu setting at 100%, the volume is pretty loud even with the dial right down.

#619 9 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Looks good but fyi there is a volume dial in the cabinet but the service outlet but if you have the menu setting at 100%, the volume is pretty loud even with the dial right down.

Aha! Thanks for the tip. 75% does work better now that I can get it reasonably quiet. That pot crackles but that's the nature of the beast.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Hrmmm..... maybe the manual was wrong?

At least mine doesn't have one there. Now ya got me thinking. What page in the manual?

#621 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Aha! Thanks for the tip. 75% does work better now that I can get it reasonably quiet. That pot crackles but that's the nature of the beast.

Yeah my volume pot is crunchy too. But I have it set where I want it and pretty much leave it alone.

#622 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

At least mine doesn't have one there. Now ya got me thinking. What page in the manual?

Page 32 under "Rubber Parts Illustration"

The rubber I'm referring to is "C Post Rubber (5) Long 545-5260-00"

Where the (5) must be the quantity, and a new rubber kit from Marco comes with 5 of those bad boys, just as it comes with (23) Post Rubber Short 545-5151-00.

Unfortunately the reference "C" is not anywhere on the diagram.... doh!

I've currently got it on the R2 shaft, which required removing the c-clips and a set screw on the motor linkage and sliding the shaft out. Seems to fit just right and makes sense to me being as it could possibly (though rarely) be hit by the ball.

20141022_132501.jpg20141022_132501.jpg
#623 9 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Page 32 under "Rubber Parts Illustration"
The rubber I'm referring to is "C Post Rubber (5) Long 545-5260-00"
Where the (5) must be the quantity, and a new rubber kit from Marco comes with 5 of those bad boys, just as it comes with (23) Post Rubber Short 545-5151-00.
Unfortunately the reference "C" is not anywhere on the diagram.... doh!
I've currently got it on the R2 shaft, which required removing the c-clips and a set screw on the motor linkage and sliding the shaft out. Seems to fit just right and makes sense to me being as it could possibly (though rarely) be hit by the ball.

20141022_132501.jpg 30 KB

Many thanks for the info. I wonder how many other games besides mine are missing that rubber.

#624 9 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone came up with this lighted Yoda mod.
Notice the mirror blades, which is a tight fit, but has just enough side clearance when lifting the playfield.

StarWarsYoda.jpgStarWarsYoda.jpg
#625 9 years ago

That's pretty cool. Is that a white bulb in there?

#626 9 years ago

Yes, I replaced the bulb with a cool white. It looked better than a warm white LED.

#627 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Many thanks for the info. I wonder how many other games besides mine are missing that rubber.

I believe mine is, and I think it gives it just enough space to miss the rollover switch and not register a Star Wars letter/R2D2 shot. Kind of stinks on a victory lap.

#628 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Needs Cliffy's (on the way) and had to sand and lacquer the shooter lane.

That's a wonderful job on the shooter lane. Which lacquer did you specifically use? Did you do it as outlined by Vid in his restoration post? Tell us more.

#629 9 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I believe mine is, and I think it gives it just enough space to miss the rollover switch and not register a Star Wars letter/R2D2 shot. Kind of stinks on a victory lap.

Speaking of victory lap. how do you get it on the new code? I've never seen it.

#630 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

That's a wonderful job on the shooter lane. Which lacquer did you specifically use? Did you do it as outlined by Vid in his restoration post? Tell us more.

Thanks. Just followed the instructions here:
http://www.treasure-cove.net/ShooterLaneRepair.htm

The only difference is that it's easier if you tape the 60-grit sandpaper to a dowel rod, mine was 3/8" diameter but anything similar might work, possibly even a pencil (if it's round). Somebody else had that in their bag of tricks, perhaps Vid as you mentioned. It also retains the shape of the groove. You'll go through several little strips of paper and the tape might come off several times but it's all pretty easy to do. Just work it until it's clean, and note that the wood itself might be dark like in Star Wars. One game I thought dark meant dirty and kept sanding and sanding and sanding...

Have to tape off well because that lacquer will get everywhere. You'll likely still get it in a few places you don't want but the light dusting you get can be cleaned off. Then center of the lane is the smoothest and the edges look a little bumpy from the splatter, but it's pretty subtle and looks fine once you put the playfield back in the game. Maybe thorough sanding with a super fine grit paper would smooth it all out but I wasn't looking for pristine collector quality, just nice enough for me and and it seems great. They mention putting down mylar and I concur as one game I didn't and the lacquer started to wear off where the ball enters the lane. That pic doesn't have the mylar but it's in there now.

The lacquer I used was Rustoleum, but I imagine any name brand spray lacquer would work. The treasure cove site mentions Ace hardware but Lowe's was much closer. Home Depot has it, too.

Also, they mention finishing with 1500 grit sandpaper. They won't have that at the hardware store, but auto parts stores carry it.

#631 9 years ago

Tired of the airballs off the center targets, even after installing some foam behind them. Also decided that the plastic above those targets was boring anyway.

This weekend I found this Millenium Falcon toy for 50 cents. I took it apart and installed a plastic base I cut from a Turtle Wax top.

Looks great and I'll report if the extra overhang keeps the air balls from launching like crazy on direct hits of the targets. Using double sided 3M tape top secure it just for now during testing.

20141029_193402.jpg20141029_193402.jpg
20141029_193415.jpg20141029_193415.jpg
20141029_193608.jpg20141029_193608.jpg
20141029_194906.jpg20141029_194906.jpg
20141029_195144.jpg20141029_195144.jpg
20141029_195418.jpg20141029_195418.jpg
20141029_195428.jpg20141029_195428.jpg

20141029_195342.jpg20141029_195342.jpg
#632 9 years ago

That's very clever! Let us know.

#633 9 years ago

Interesting. Now if you could sandwich a green led strip between the two and hook it up to the targets so it would flash every time the target was hit that would really look sharp.

#634 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Interesting. Now if you could sandwich a green led strip between the two and hook it up to the targets so it would flash every time the target was hit that would really look sharp.

That'd be easy. I did that with Baywatch.

#635 9 years ago

Played a few games and still got some airballs. But I can move this out a bit more and see if it makes a difference. Regardless, it looks like a terrific custom plastic and is not out of place at all. Looks sharp!

#636 9 years ago

Since I got mine I've discovered a few things. The deflector plate in the Death Star causes a lot of rejects, similar to the IJ scoop deflector, so I've put a felt pad on there for now and ordered some drop dead foam. Hopefully that does the trick. I'd rather not mess with bending the plate, but that'll be the next step if necessary.

Also, I see just about every Star Wars has wear on the side rails right above the lock bar. This is caused by the loose lockbar that I presume is common on all DE machines. The solution here is pretty simple, take the lockbar out and bend the tabs forward a little bit with a crescent wrench. If you bend too far, it won't latch, but I got mine just right and now it's nice and snug. I hate having it move around while I'm shaking the machine. Using some black paint to cover the wear spots.

I also tried taking off the rubber half-posts at the top of the slings, to give it more bounce like most other games. But alas, this seems to lead to quicker outlane drains, so I put them back on. So if you want to make the game harder, there ya go. Put clear rubber on the slings (2.5", as they don't make 2.75" clear) and it looks great. I love clear rubber on slings.

Also found it odd that there are nails (?!) under the slingshot plastics. This does a great job of scratching the graphics. There's a metal post under there that scratches a different spot as well. So looks like you need plastic protectors before installing new ones.

Would also like for someone to produce a 44 flex fast color changing LED to go under the light saber insert. If there's already one out there that I'm just not aware of, I'd love to know about it.
EDIT: Maybe this would work, http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1fluxrgb-w.htm

On a final note, getting the double jackpot is harder than I thought it would be. Tough game!

#637 9 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I think it happens after collecting the super jackpot on the Death Star the first time.

#638 9 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I'm guessing you have your game set to give Extra Ball instead of Credits as an award in Adjustment 4? The settings for Game Awards are None, Extra Ball, Credits, Special.

If so... you will never see it. The game has to be set to Credits.

This is one of those things that "now I know" how to change. I fixed this in Jurassic Park to offer up Victory Lap regardless if the game is on Credit or Extra Ball.

Basically, there is no code change around the way Victory Lap is activated in the 1.04 ROM. It is identical to the old ROM.

It is on my little list of "if I ever go back" changes.

#639 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Would also like for someone to produce a 44 flex fast color changing LED to go under the light saber insert. If there's already one out there that I'm just not aware of, I'd love to know about it.
EDIT: Maybe this would work, http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1fluxrgb-w.htm

If you try these be careful, the wires going into the base of the bulb are very fragile, try not to bend them at the base.

#640 9 years ago

I have a 44 flex fast color changer in my light Saber area and it looks great! Also have them in my scoops as well. Mounted new sockets under the pf and got double super long flex and aimed them into the slot of the scoops. They look awesome!! The 3 and 7 smd strips work great for the rear of area. And I have 4 spotlights with 4 smd purple leds lighting most of the pf. Makes all the colors pop!!

#641 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

I have a 44 flex fast color changer in my light Saber area and it looks great! Also have them in my scoops as well. Mounted new sockets under the pf and got double super long flex and aimed them into the slot of the scoops. They look awesome!! The 3 and 7 smd strips work great for the rear of area. And I have 4 spotlights with 4 smd purple leds lighting most of the pf. Makes all the colors pop!!

Sounds like ya got-er dialed in.

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds like ya got-er dialed in.

Close! But not completely! Got my under cab led kit installed and it works and looks awesome! From rock custom pinball. Was only 100$ and is tied in to flash with gameplay. Also need to get a few more smd led strips and mirror blades! The mirror blades will be the last to go in!

#643 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Close! But not completely! Got my under cab led kit installed and it works and looks awesome! From rock custom pinball. Was only 100$ and is tied in to flash with gameplay. Also need to get a few more smd led strips and mirror blades! The mirror blades will be the last to go in!

Your gonna have the best SW on the planet IF you ever get done with it.

#644 9 years ago

Oh boy look what came in the mail today NOS pop bumpers. Bought them from Ron Kruzman but he only had 3. Ron is a good guy to buy from, very fair with pricing, just wish I could afford his pf work.

IMGA0347.JPGIMGA0347.JPG
#645 9 years ago

Even though I still need to order the rest of the LEDs, rubber and two plastics before doing the full tear down shop job, I felt like installing the mirror blades today.

20141102_133119.jpg20141102_133119.jpg 20141102_133857.jpg20141102_133857.jpg 20141102_134445.jpg20141102_134445.jpg 20141102_134502.jpg20141102_134502.jpg 20141102_134600.jpg20141102_134600.jpg 20141102_134534.jpg20141102_134534.jpg
#646 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Even though I still need to order the rest of the LEDs, rubber and two plastics before doing the full tear down shop job, I felt like installing the mirror blades today.

20141102_133119.jpg 249 KB

20141102_133857.jpg 167 KB

20141102_134445.jpg 298 KB

20141102_134502.jpg 329 KB

20141102_134600.jpg 291 KB

20141102_134534.jpg 304 KB

Oh baby that looks nice. How much does the pf miss the blades by?

#647 9 years ago

VERY snug fit, at least on my cabinet. But I installed them first and then peeled the protective coating off. Don't think it'll be an issue with scratching and it looks fantastic.

#648 9 years ago

Sounds good. On Mustang when I put the blades in I had to recess the screw holes so the screws heads would be flush with blades so the pf would clear, it was that tight. I wish the blade makers would do that.

#649 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That looks sweet! I am anxiously waiting to order my set of blades. I just want to make sure I am done with adding all I want to ad to the pf. But every time I think I am done I find something else I want to do!! Maybe for Xmas I will get a set! Where did you get your blades?

20141102_133119.jpg 249 KB

20141102_133857.jpg 167 KB

20141102_134445.jpg 298 KB

20141102_134502.jpg 329 KB

20141102_134600.jpg 291 KB

20141102_134534.jpg 304 KB

#650 9 years ago

Have you guys seen the name of the new Star Wars movie? #7 will be called "The Force Awakens". So what do ya think?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,752 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 96.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.