2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpeg
pic 2 (resized).jpg
pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.
#851 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Looks like LCD set to DOTSXL

It has settings ? I’ll read up on the site but I was just wondering which it is before I started .I’ll look behind it thank you guys .

#852 2 years ago

Urges there are multiple settings on LCD.

#853 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Urges there are multiple settings on LCD.

Cool thank you .

#854 2 years ago

thanks all, looks like I’ll be placing an order for the LCD color dmd for my TSPP tonight!

#855 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

thanks all, looks like I’ll be placing an order for the LCD color dmd for my TSPP tonight!

Awesome upgrade! You are going to love it!

1 month later
#856 2 years ago

Where can I find Colordmd in an EU store?

#857 2 years ago
Quoted from Uffe88:

Where can I find Colordmd in an EU store?

There is a list / links of authorized distributors on the ColorDMD website

https://www.colordmd.com/Home.html

5 months later
#858 1 year ago

I know I’m probably asking for the impossible here, but I’m really torn between LCD and LED for my Theatre of Magic. Could I ask for a picture (or video) comparison to ToM owners?

#859 1 year ago

Just got a note from Randy’s team that the LCD ColorDMD are shipping again!!!

#860 1 year ago

I recently acquired 2 machines with ColorDMD LCDs that I want to convert to LEDs. If you’re looking to go the other direction please PM

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Just got a note from Randy’s team that the LCD ColorDMD are shipping again!!!

Almost $500 a pop now. :-/

#862 1 year ago

The higher price is not surprising as everything that uses chips is hostage to the supply chain nightmare. That said, there is a price elasticity point that may be touched as the price increases… As price rises, demand falls, but finding that magic price point for maximum profit is a real science.

#863 1 year ago

Just a PSA for those that don’t know.. On the LED version I’d suggest you change the factory Contrast setting. I think they ship with contrast and brightness set to the max. If you bring the contrast down a bit you will get better details.

I’m using 5 contrast and 9 brightness (with the Comet polarizing film).

Cheers!

1 month later
#864 1 year ago

Greetings friends, I read all 18 pages of this continuing 5 year old post. I laughed, I cried, and still trying to determine to go LCD or LED. My opinion kept changing but I think I’ve decided to go LCD because of the game—Monopoly. Stern 2001.

Don’t hate! It’s just my pins are newer and that seems more in keeping with newer Sterns. LCD should be plenty bright with less reflection.

However before I order does anybody have anything thoughts specific to Monopoly?

Thanks guys!
Richard

#865 1 year ago

I’ve see a Monopoly with LCD installed. Solid choice. You will be happy.

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

However before I order does anybody have anything thoughts specific to Monopoly?

I have the LCD in my Monopoly and like it a lot.

#867 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

Greetings friends, I read all 18 pages of this continuing 5 year old post. I laughed, I cried, and still trying to determine to go LCD or LED. My opinion kept changing but I think I’ve decided to go LCD because of the game—Monopoly. Stern 2001.
Don’t hate! It’s just my pins are newer and that seems more in keeping with newer Sterns. LCD should be plenty bright with less reflection.
Thanks guys!
Richard

I would also add that once you get to newer Sterns like Walking Dead and Ghostbusters, the DMDs are super bright from the factory. And then I'd probably look at LED.

#868 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

Thanks guys!
Richard

Ha, I felt the same way - read through it all and still as conflicted as ever for which is best. I think I might be sticking to simplicity of install and going LED. Have a TAF, IJ:TPA, And a GB Prem.

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

I'll let you know if there's ever a game that LED looks better on. Some 90s W/B could be argued but def no 2000s Sterns

#870 1 year ago

I’m hoping that someone like ColorDMD starts selling aftermarket XL LCDs like GCG installs on their remakes.
I would buy these for my TZ, IJ and LOTR.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#871 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

Thanks guys!
Richard

It's really a matter of preference.

I like LEDs better for all games and they are the same size as the original. But, some people think they are too bright or something. Not sure if they know there is a brightness adjustment? But, to me, it just looks kinda like a nice colorized version of the original display (retro vibe).

LCDs have different display options. Options are nice. The LCD is not the same size as the original display; Generally not an issue for most games.

Just go with what you like they are both awesome!

#872 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll let you know if there's ever a game that LED looks better on. Some 90s W/B could be argued but def no 2000s Sterns

If anyone has a LED panel and has LCD FOMO, drop me a line. My AC/DC came with a LCD panel, and I'd love to swap that for a LED to match my other games (TZ and ST:TNG).

I definitely prefer the LEDs for the older Bally Williams games, so AC/DC is going to have suffer in the low rent LED neighborhood

4 weeks later
#873 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I’m hoping that someone like ColorDMD starts selling aftermarket XL LCDs like GCG installs on their remakes.
I would buy these for my TZ, IJ and LOTR.

It's already available: PIN2DMD EVO HD

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/24#post-6341577

5 months later
#874 1 year ago

Anyone know how to “factory reset” a color dmd? Back to stock so it’s not using any color files? Thank you

#875 1 year ago

Download the sigma rom from the support page

Sigma is single color
https://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#876 1 year ago

I have a T2 that I was looking to upgrade the DMD on and was wondering who has the same machine that they upgraded their screen and which one did you choose? Having a hard time myself which one to go with.

#877 1 year ago

I tend to go with LED in general since it is much brighter.

#878 1 year ago

I put LCD screens in POTC, WOF, Mon, FT, WW, RS, IJ, WCS & ST. I put LED screens in MAV & BW the only type available in large screens. I put LED screens in AF, A13, & BR because installation was easier in these games. I like both and you enjoy either. My choice was to use LCD's where installation was easy, if you like dots you can choice large dots on the LCD screens.

1 month later
#879 1 year ago

It seems most believe STTNG is best off using LED. Is that still the thought? Getting ready to do a full upgrade to LED for GI and all lights and also a display conversion to color.

#880 1 year ago

Love the brightness of LED with my STTNG. LCD was nice but a step backwards for me. The pop of LED color display , LED upgrade, mirror blades; and 2smd LEDs in back box really elevated the future look of the theme for me

#881 1 year ago

Personal preference LED vs LCD. I have the LCD in my STTNG and in all other games that it will fit into.

#882 1 year ago
Quoted from math08:

It seems most believe STTNG is best off using LED. Is that still the thought? Getting ready to do a full upgrade to LED for GI and all lights and also a display conversion to color.

I think LCD is excellent for STTNG, wouldn't swap it for an LED.

3 weeks later
#883 11 months ago

Hi my friends! I recently bought a SEGA’s Goldeneye and I have been doing some restoration work on it for a while. Right now I’m thinking to change the DMD for a DMD Color but I’m a little bit confused for which to choose between LED and LCD. If you don’t mind and sorry my lack of knowledge on the matter, can you tell me the difference between them and which you recommend me in your own opinion is the best way to go specially for Goldeneye! Thank you very much for your time and help! Take care and have a great one my friends! Best regards, Nuno.

#884 11 months ago
Quoted from NunoDirector:

Hi my friends! I recently bought a SEGA’s Goldeneye and I have been doing some restoration work on it for a while. Right now I’m thinking to change the DMD for a DMD Color but I’m a little bit confused for which to choose between LED and LCD. If you don’t mind and sorry my lack of knowledge on the matter, can you tell me the difference between them and which you recommend me in your own opinion is the best way to go specially for Goldeneye! Thank you very much for your time and help! Take care and have a great one my friends! Best regards, Nuno.

I can't speak for Goldeneye but when I bought my Scared Stiff it already had a nice LCD Color DMD installed.

I was very happy with LCD until I went to the Texas Pinball Festival and saw machines that had the the LED Color DMD.

Wow, the LED was so much brighter than the LCD, so I sold my LCD and bought the LED, which looks fantastic on Scared Stiff! It is so bright and the colors really pop!

LED all the way for me!

Roger

#885 11 months ago

Purely subjective. I went with the LED as I thought it was more fitting/accurate for an older DMD pin, had the improved brightness factor, and was slightly less expensive. No regrets. Does the LCD take up more real estate in the backbox? I vaguely remember reading something to that effect, not that it is a problem, by any means. My own survey when in your position determined that LCD is/was the more popular choice, in part due to having some display options. Either one will look good.

7 months later
#886 3 months ago

TRADE: Colordmd (LCD) for ColorLED if anyone wants. Looking to make my game uniform with colorled displays. PM if interested.

#887 3 months ago
Quoted from barakawins:

TRADE: Colordmd (LCD) for ColorLED if anyone wants. Looking to make my game uniform with colorled displays. PM if interested.

This is the way.

#888 3 months ago

I own a Metallica pro with color dmd and Acdc luci with original screen. I thought I’d have the urge to change it, but with all the modern games having colors , I enjoy the retro monochromic feel …so my vote is neither , stay with the ori ginal , IMHO

#889 3 months ago
Quoted from NunoDirector:

Same. Just about to restore a Goldeneye and been conflicted between the two. Leaning towards LCD. Let me know where you ended up, if you don't mind. Also, would love to see your restoration!

Gary

#890 3 months ago
Quoted from Kalipin:

I own a Metallica pro with color dmd and Acdc luci with original screen. I thought I’d have the urge to change it, but with all the modern games having colors , I enjoy the retro monochromic feel …so my vote is neither , stay with the ori ginal , IMHO

I have color in Kiss and Spidey. Original DMDs in Breakshot (but will likely go color at some point) and Walking Dead. I have a pro, so the whole red/black theme makes me keep the red original. I also have a Royal Rumble in the project queue and will probably go with a color DMD for it, at some point. It's a pretty colorful game.

#891 3 months ago
Quoted from Kalipin:

A friend has a restored Getaway all chromed out with a new orange DMD in it. Next to the colorDMDs and LCDs around it, it pops like a firework. Super sharp with the chrome too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
$ 64.99
$ 16.00
$ 45.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 891 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led/page/18?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.