New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 171786)

ColorDMD - LCD versus LED?

By goatdan

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 814 posts
  • 260 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 79 days ago by LukyDuck
  • Topic is favorited by 95 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 132 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cdmd (resized).jpg
C0320AC0-7AD5-47CA-A619-82DAF8B6A51E (resized).jpeg
2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpeg
pic 2 (resized).jpg
pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
ACF4918D-E2B4-4114-A4A3-EDE02217E5DF (resized).jpeg
IMG_1517 (resized).jpg
LEDPanel (resized).jpg
LCDvsLED2 (resized).jpg
LCDvsLED1 (resized).jpg
84D185C3-08AE-4E48-83FD-4F056BE7B116 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 814 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.
#801 3 months ago

LCD is installed on my WPT. It's tough not to have the best of both worlds. I use the Style setting. I personally like the full animation vs the dots...it looks good to me. I hate that it can't be as bright as the LED but at least it's clear and the animations look normal now. Of course I've had to turn the contrast and brightness up to 9 and now my blacks are gray because of it just so I can have some kind of brightness. I'm going to play it for a week or so but honestly i think I like it better than the LED double image dots. However, one of the lights on the playfield now reflect off of the LCD screen and bother me a because the LCD isn't bright enough.

Time will tell I guess.

#802 3 months ago

Awesome man. Glad you’re getting clarity on what you like. Again, people seem to think those stern models do very well with the smoothing.

And with the glare of the PF, you may never get it perfect. I will say that the LeD reflected off the PF glass a lot, but a glare guard plastic under the DMD panel blocks it completely both ways, but you gotta live with the plastic, which mentally disappears over time, and of course your first attempt at the glare film had an issue.

As discussed, try both with and without supporting accessories like the glare guards and see what works for you.

I have good news to report that you may not be crazy on the double image. This weekend I tested it with a variety of angles and I think I recreated what you seen. The pic below shows my camera on my toes as high as I can to grab a shot, and it shows what looks like an extra set of blue dots under each set of real dots. Is this what you were seeing?

If so, it’s the glare guard and the way it’s made I guess. You said to me pinballlife is promising to return it for you so I would do that. I’m 5’ 11” so it isnt an issue for me and very happy with mine, but I am super curious to try the comet version now.

38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png

#803 3 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Awesome man. Glad you’re getting clarity on what you like. Again, people seem to think those stern models do very well with the smoothing.
And with the glare of the PF, you may never get it perfect. I will say that the LeD reflected off the PF glass a lot, but a glare guard plastic under the DMD panel blocks it completely both ways, but you gotta live with the plastic, which mentally disappears over time, and of course your first attempt at the glare film had an issue.
As discussed, try both with and without supporting accessories like the glare guards and see what works for you.
I have good news to report that you may not be crazy on the double image. This weekend I tested it with a variety of angles and I think I recreated what you seen. The pic below shows my camera on my toes as high as I can to grab a shot, and it shows what looks like an extra set of blue dots under each set of real dots. Is this what you were seeing?
If so, it’s the glare guard and the way it’s made I guess. You said to me pinballlife is promising to return it for you so I would do that. I’m 5’ 11” so it isnt an issue for me and very happy with mine, but I am super curious to try the comet version now.
[quoted image]

Thank so much for doing the research! Yes, that is exactly the double image I see, every time I play. It's interesting that your recreated it. It was bothersome from the beginning unfortunately. I'm glad its not an issue with others because it's very tilting.

I'm in the process with playing the LCD for right now. I honestly like the Style mode that doesn't have the dots. If I have to look at dots, I'd rather go LED since at least they are bright and the colors pop. After I give the LCD a run, I'll then put the LED back on with the glare guard and then without....and see what I like best. I don't know if I'm going to order the Comet glare guard or not....

#804 3 months ago

I need your support. I received my LCD Color DMD today and it didn't arrive in the condition I expected. I'm not sure if it was damaged in transit or if Canada Customs damaged it during their inspection. I've reached out to ColorDMD for their support and I am awaiting their reply. Can someone please send me a photo of how the ribbon cable is connected and I will try to reconnect it myself, if at all possible...Pictures are enclosed.

pic 1 (resized).jpgpic 2 (resized).jpg
#805 3 months ago

So, I was installing a Color DMD into my Tommy. I noted the instructions were incomplete [step 9 and hooking up power and the ribbons are missing], so I went on line to confirm my best guesses. Warning - it is kind of easy to install the 5v plug backward if you are not careful. I had it on backward. I had not fired it up yet, but I came close. Ended up working like a charm and I'm up and running. I went with LED and it looks fantastic. I've seen the game fitted with an LCD, and it looks great too. They have a different feel to them, so it really is just personal taste in my humble opinion. I don't see that one is better than the other. I happen to like the LED. I must say though that the provided instructions are needlessly vague and incomplete. There is ample support among hobbyist. If you are installing one, I suggest reviewing a video or two, at least for a Data East install. Remember to check your 5v plug alignment and that with the ribbon cables, the red line is toward the #1 pin side. Have fun.

1 week later
#806 81 days ago

I just installed the LED version on my I500. Any idea how to get rid of the line of light across the top? It is not present on my other ColorDMDs (LED or LCD).

2EC8C5F1-B7B3-4250-A185-E677FBC9B80D (resized).jpegC0320AC0-7AD5-47CA-A619-82DAF8B6A51E (resized).jpeg
#807 81 days ago

At least with the 128x16, there is no decision needed to be made since it will only be available in LED. https://mailchi.mp/53dc7b89cdb6/colordmd-announces-new-platform-for-128x16-dmd-games?e=c9c02c6747

#808 81 days ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I just installed the LED version on my I500. Any idea how to get rid of the line of light across the top? It is not present on my other ColorDMDs (LED or LCD).
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's light shining down from the backbox and hitting the top of the LED modules. Foam weatherstripping (from the hardware store) placed between the top of the metal bracket and speaker panel works great for blocking the light.

#809 80 days ago
Quoted from Angel:

I need your support. I received my LCD Color DMD today and it didn't arrive in the condition I expected. I'm not sure if it was damaged in transit or if Canada Customs damaged it during their inspection. I've reached out to ColorDMD for their support and I am awaiting their reply. Can someone please send me a photo of how the ribbon cable is connected and I will try to reconnect it myself, if at all possible...Pictures are enclosed.[quoted image][quoted image]

can you provide another photo of the connector where it came off of the LCD panel? it's hard to tell from the 2 photos if the connector was broken or the relief tab just came unglued from the ribbon cable.

#810 79 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

So, I was installing a Color DMD into my Tommy. I noted the instructions were incomplete [step 9 and hooking up power and the ribbons are missing], so I went on line to confirm my best guesses. Warning - it is kind of easy to install the 5v plug backward if you are not careful. I had it on backward. I had not fired it up yet, but I came close. Ended up working like a charm and I'm up and running. I went with LED and it looks fantastic. I've seen the game fitted with an LCD, and it looks great too. They have a different feel to them, so it really is just personal taste in my humble opinion. I don't see that one is better than the other. I happen to like the LED. I must say though that the provided instructions are needlessly vague and incomplete. There is ample support among hobbyist. If you are installing one, I suggest reviewing a video or two, at least for a Data East install. Remember to check your 5v plug alignment and that with the ribbon cables, the red line is toward the #1 pin side. Have fun.

I completely agree about the instructions being needlessly vague. Right button, left button with no reference to which way is right or left. Also, there were a lot of things like attachment points, etc. just left out and left to guess about. I too watched a few videos to put the missing pieces together..

#811 79 days ago
Quoted from Codeman00:

Right button, left button with no reference to which way is right or left...

cdmd (resized).jpg
#812 79 days ago

So I have a detached cable that I need to plug in. I need to make sure that the red stripe on the cable is on the "Right" side. However no where does it say which is side is the right side. After the cable is plugged in (hopefully correct), then now I think I know which side is right hand which side is left (if I did it right) and now I can deduce what button is right and left.... I think.

How about putting "right side" and "left side" on the diagram and establishing a coordinate system at the beginning? How about labeling the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of the lines of text next to each button but referring to them in the instructions as "left" and "right" when they aren't labeled as such on the PCB or in the diagram. I'm an engineer. I've created these diagrams for customers.

It can really be done better.

#813 79 days ago

Ah, so your question is a "right" vs "stage right" type thing?

Numbering them not a bad idea...but can you not see the orientation of the board components in the diagram?
Edit: sorry that last part is for orientation of the red stripe

#814 79 days ago

I will have to come back to this thread when my colordmd shows up this weekend and I need to install it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 814 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside