pic 1 (resized).jpg
38B24095-FA42-42A4-BB7B-4B86D2F83819 (resized).png
IMG_3984 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Vendor update on available combinations Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #23 Vendor update on hardware revision for future display boards Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #30 Led displays take less power than lcd setups Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #64 Discussion on smoothing algorithm Posted by Dmod (7 years ago)

Post #90 Video of the led display in spiderman Posted by bobukcat (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there are 3 problems with the ColorDMD LED version in my opinion
- the first is that the face of the panel appears to be a glossy black in between the discreet 4096 LEDs and they catch a lot of both ambient light as well as anything that is thrown off of the playfield (like the sling spotlights that are directed up field towards the back box)
- the second is that the LEDs themselves do not have any sort of diffuser on them, but rather a crystal clear window. if they had a milky-white diffuser, it would eliminate a lot of harshness that people are talking about (however, I have not seen any P2.5 panels that have something like this (see image below)

<snip>

this semi-outdoor effect means that it's more like a DOTS mini mode, rather than the DOTS or DOTS XL modes that are selectable options on the LCD ColorDMD panels.
I'm going to try and find some sort of diffuser panel to install in front of the LED panels and see if that helps with mine

I bought the LED one for my Shadow, but haven't had a change to install it yet (started tearing it down to clean it up). However, I noticed when looking at the panel that it didn't have the LED diffusers (as you mentioned). In the back of my mind I was thinking about it, but figured I'd wait until I got it installed to see how I felt about it. Since you've brought this back into fore of my thoughts I was thinking that maybe I (or anyone) could try printing the DMD hole pattern with larger holes on a semi-transparent vellum paper or something to get closer to the DotsXL look...?

If you figure something out, please post. Otherwise I can try in a month or so when I get my machine back together..

4 months later
#361 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

LED looks really impressive. The reds and oranges really pop and the golds almost shimmer.
Cons: need to turn the brightness way down to reduce reflection. Also, not quite as "smooth" looking as, for example, DotsXL, if you care about that sort of thing.
Been meaning to swap in the LCD from my other pin for months but just haven't gotten around to it because it's a minor hassle and, well, the LED looks really good. Though they are on different games, for what it's worth, wife and guests all think the LED looks better than my LCD.

If you are worried about glare, I'd highly suggest getting some polarizing film (aka Glare Eliminator) to go over the dmd.

Like this:
http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I use these plastic glareguards, work great, cheap, easy to install, can move them from machine to machine, and though they are obviously noticeable on the game, I don't even notice them anymore myself: http://cointaker.com/products/pinball-glare-guards

Do you have picture of that on the game? Just curious how that version looks installed.

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sure, here are a bunch.

Hehe, Thanks!

Obviously, functional but, I prefer the glare guard/eliminator; It just blends in better.

2 months later
#440 6 years ago

Does anyone know if there are different revisions of the LED boards?

I swear I saw one a couple years ago at a show and it looked more like a regular DMD, whereas the newer/current LED board has the "dead space." I still think the LED looks better than the LCD, but just curious.

2 weeks later
#447 6 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

This probably has been answered somewhere in the 9 pages of this post but I will ask again! What are the recommendations for a game like Game of Thrones that has cut scenes in the dmd? Would they look better on an LCD which seems to "blend" the colors more, or a brighter LED display? Thanks for the advice!

It's all personal preference.

2 years later
#706 4 years ago

If you are using the LED it really behooves you to get a anti-glare film/panel from your preferred source.

I love my LEDs with the comet pinball anti-glare guard.

Without the anti-glare guard you are going to see the individual dots as grey dots if there is enough light in your room.

2 years later
#863 1 year ago

Just a PSA for those that don’t know.. On the LED version I’d suggest you change the factory Contrast setting. I think they ship with contrast and brightness set to the max. If you bring the contrast down a bit you will get better details.

I’m using 5 contrast and 9 brightness (with the Comet polarizing film).

Cheers!

1 month later
#871 1 year ago
Quoted from usesbrain:

Greetings friends, I read all 18 pages of this continuing 5 year old post. I laughed, I cried, and still trying to determine to go LCD or LED. My opinion kept changing but I think I’ve decided to go LCD because of the game—Monopoly. Stern 2001.
Don’t hate! It’s just my pins are newer and that seems more in keeping with newer Sterns. LCD should be plenty bright with less reflection.
However before I order does anybody have anything thoughts specific to Monopoly?
Thanks guys!
Richard

It's really a matter of preference.

I like LEDs better for all games and they are the same size as the original. But, some people think they are too bright or something. Not sure if they know there is a brightness adjustment? But, to me, it just looks kinda like a nice colorized version of the original display (retro vibe).

LCDs have different display options. Options are nice. The LCD is not the same size as the original display; Generally not an issue for most games.

Just go with what you like they are both awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
$ 45.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tu=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.