3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,010 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.
#851 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if either of you can get me a scan of the area of the two astronauts on the playfield, and one from the flippers up to the top of the slingshots i will be eternally grateful

Once I get my plastics situation figured out I plan on moving forward with a hardtop purchase. Might be a month or two but I'd be happy to scan those areas for you when I have it.

#852 2 years ago

Hey guys, life has been busy. Hopefully I can get some playfield pics and scan that plastic tonight.

#853 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

For the guys out there who have done full tear downs, have any of you swapped the star posts for clear or blue?

Sorry, didn't notice this until today. When I shopped my last Blackout, I went completely with blue(posts, pop caps, display, etc). I think it looked fantastic.

#854 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Once I get my plastics situation figured out I plan on moving forward with a hardtop purchase. Might be a month or two but I'd be happy to scan those areas for you when I have it.

thanks that would be great, i think clytor might be able to do .
no hurry from me clytor and no worries if you can not do. either way i will drink a good beer in your name

#855 2 years ago

Here are pics of everything. I also have 300 and 600 dpi scans of the plastic which I could email or dropbox. Just lmk. Btw, this is a Hardtop not an original playfield.

9ju2Ll6TQVikpOmvvn+ZpQ (resized).jpg9ju2Ll6TQVikpOmvvn+ZpQ (resized).jpgT3OrjDRORSaqSjcImhntuA (resized).jpgT3OrjDRORSaqSjcImhntuA (resized).jpghMAXuMJIRoq4icgjSZwyUA (resized).jpghMAXuMJIRoq4icgjSZwyUA (resized).jpg
1 week later
#856 2 years ago

thanks for the pics clytor , my playfield has a few touchups around the astronauts that look a little cartoony but i see the original is about the same

1 month later
#857 2 years ago

I have been waiting for a snow day to install these in my Blackout. today was the day. I freakin love them.

Now to do Flash

However now I have absolutely no sound or speech but that is another day

Blackout-top-887x1024[1] (resized).jpgBlackout-top-887x1024[1] (resized).jpg
#858 2 years ago

They are super reliable which is nice change. I have them on my Blackout and my Firepower conversion.

1 month later
#859 2 years ago

Joined the club today! Such a great game.

9EBD4CE1-DB64-4094-9A10-D1E350FAE822 (resized).jpeg9EBD4CE1-DB64-4094-9A10-D1E350FAE822 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#860 2 years ago

Would anyone happen to know why my Blackout has older style flipper mechanisms ?
Operator hack ? It seems the extra screws indicate someone has done a retro "upgrade" at some time.

2022-03-20 09.55.11 (resized).jpg2022-03-20 09.55.11 (resized).jpg

#861 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Operator hack ?

I would say yes, mine as well update them to wpc style.
-Mike

#862 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I would say yes, mine as well update them to wpc style.
-Mike

Cool, will do.
Which flipper coils are standard on this game ?

#863 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Would anyone happen to know why my Blackout has older style flipper mechanisms ?
Operator hack ? It seems the extra screws indicate someone has done a retro "upgrade" at some time.
[quoted image]

Common on overseas pins to get retrofitted with Gottlieb mechs for some reason. Cheaper, available or more durable? Take your pick.

#864 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Cool, will do.
Which flipper coils are standard on this game ?

Post#140 from Vid1900 will get you what you want.
-Mike

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-773606

1 month later
#866 1 year ago

I just picked up a Blackout last night so I'm happy to join the group. My first old game. I'm not sure how active this thread still is but I hope I can learn some tips on working on one of these old Williams machines. A lot to learn. Time to start catching up on the 800 posts.

First task is getting the cigarette smell out. It does bring back some nostalgia of 80's bars though.

#867 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I just picked up a Blackout last night so I'm happy to join the group. My first old game. I'm not sure how active this thread still is but I hope I can learn some tips on working on one of these old Williams machines. A lot to learn. Time to start catching up on the 800 posts.
First task is getting the cigarette smell out. It does bring back some nostalgia of 80's bars though.

Ozone generator in the cabinet can help. I’ve heard it can damage rubber rings so do it before replacing all the rings. The cheap awesome cleaner from dollar tree works well to get ride of tar and smoke smell from the outside.

#868 1 year ago

Hi All I just joined the Blackout club, this will be a long restoration it's probably not worth it but....

I'm looking for a head I think most williams 3-7 will work but not sure and also looking for a playfield it can be trashed I plan on using a hard top.

The lower cabinet is ok except for the bottom panel so i will replace that. It sat in a building for the past 10 plus years and the roof started leaking. the side of the playfield is rotted through and most of the top. the bottom of the playfield is 90% useable. The backglass is pretty decent and the boards don't look too bad.

bo1 (resized).jpegbo1 (resized).jpegbo10 (resized).jpegbo10 (resized).jpegbo11 (resized).jpegbo11 (resized).jpegbo12 (resized).jpegbo12 (resized).jpegbo13 (resized).jpegbo13 (resized).jpegbo14 (resized).jpegbo14 (resized).jpegbo18 (resized).jpegbo18 (resized).jpegbo2 (resized).jpegbo2 (resized).jpegbo3 (resized).jpegbo3 (resized).jpegbo4 (resized).jpegbo4 (resized).jpegbo5 (resized).jpegbo5 (resized).jpegbo6 (resized).jpegbo6 (resized).jpegbo7 (resized).jpegbo7 (resized).jpegbo9 (resized).jpegbo9 (resized).jpeg
#869 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Hi All I just joined the Blackout club, this will be a long restoration it's probably not worth it but....
I'm looking for a head I think most williams 3-7 will work but not sure and also looking for a playfield it can be trashed I plan on using a hard top.
The lower cabinet is ok except for the bottom panel so i will replace that. It sat in a building for the past 10 plus years and the roof started leaking. the side of the playfield is rotted through and most of the top. the bottom of the playfield is 90% useable. The backglass is pretty decent and the boards don't look too bad.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I saw that post on Facebook about this game. While some of that looks bad the boards look good and will clean up well. Once properly refreshed those should be solid. I've done a bunch of those sets. Will need new DIP sockets, electrolytic caps, new 40pin interconnect and normal clean up but you'll have good boards.

Blackout is a great game and worth saving.

Too bad you aren't closer. I think I still have a spare Blackout playfield as a spare (in case I wanted to do a hard top) and I have a Gorgar head I was going to use as a test fixture. I could probably just take out the internals and use something else for the wood part if needed.

See if anyone closer comes through but if not i'll see what I have.

#870 1 year ago

Edit

#871 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I saw that post on Facebook about this game. While some of that looks bad the boards look good and will clean up well. Once properly refreshed those should be solid. I've done a bunch of those sets. Will need new DIP sockets, electrolytic caps, new 40pin interconnect and normal clean up but you'll have good boards.
Too bad you aren't closer. I think I still have a spare Blackout playfield as a spare (in case I wanted to do a hard top) and I have a Gorgar head I was going to use as a test fixture. I could probably just take out the internals and use something else for the wood part if needed.

Touch base with @sataneatscheese, he has a wall hanger Blackout playfield.

#872 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Touch base with sataneatscheese, he has a wall hanger Blackout playfield.

Thanks I just sent him a message

#873 1 year ago

Thanks hopefully something closer pops up you are about 8 hours away from me
Thanks, Jeff

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Touch base with sataneatscheese, he has a wall hanger Blackout playfield.

Thank you so much Mike I really appreciate the help with the playfield, it will be perfect for a hardtop

Now to find a head
Jeff

bo playfield (resized).jpegbo playfield (resized).jpeg
#875 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Thank you so much Mike I really appreciate the help with the playfield, it will be perfect for a hardtop
Now to find a head
Jeff[quoted image]

Glad I could point you in Mike's direction.

Gary

#876 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Glad I could point you in Mike's direction.
Gary

Yes a huge Thank you also for pointing me in the right direction, Mike is only 45 minutes away from me and great to meet more local pin people.

#877 1 year ago

I guess I can say that I am part of the club to. Picked this beaut up about 3 months ago from going to the probably to the trash. Wife told me I was crazy for getting it. I told her it was a classic.....

The cabinet sides are in fair shape. Bottom is falling out along with water damage on coin door front. The head is a total failure...been munched on by termites and water damage. The playfield looks like it has been sitting in the sun for some time. Probably can take an overlay. Electronics are fair...Backglass is flaking and probably can be restored....might end up having to find a repro one

Gonna be a good one to restore......

20220302_143330 (resized).jpg20220302_143330 (resized).jpg20220302_143332 (resized).jpg20220302_143332 (resized).jpg20220303_181617 (resized).jpg20220303_181617 (resized).jpg20220303_182055 (resized).jpg20220303_182055 (resized).jpg20220303_183207 (resized).jpg20220303_183207 (resized).jpg20220303_183226 (resized).jpg20220303_183226 (resized).jpg20220303_230840 (resized).jpg20220303_230840 (resized).jpg20220304_215959 (resized).jpg20220304_215959 (resized).jpg
#878 1 year ago
Quoted from Duramadmax:

I guess I can say that I am part of the club to. Picked this beaut up about 3 months ago from going to the probably to the trash. Wife told me I was crazy for getting it. I told her it was a classic.....
The cabinet sides are in fair shape. Bottom is falling out along with water damage on coin door front. The head is a total failure...been munched on by termites and water damage. The playfield looks like it has been sitting in the sun for some time. Probably can take an overlay. Electronics are fair...Backglass is flaking and probably can be restored....might end up having to find a repro one
Gonna be a good one to restore......
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#879 1 year ago

I'm looking for a set of the wood playfield rails for my Blackout if anyone has a used set or I remember a while ago someone was making new ones for a bunch of different machines but can't remember who.
Thanks, Jeff

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

I'm looking for a set of the wood playfield rails for my Blackout if anyone has a used set or I remember a while ago someone was making new ones for a bunch of different machines but can't remember who.
Thanks, Jeff

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oak-replacement-playfield-rails-wh2o-and-taf-ready-to-ship-or-york

#881 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Thanks, Jeff

Easy to make if you have a friend with table saw.

#882 1 year ago

Robert, I’d be interested in the gogar head if your looking to part with it. My blackout head is rough!

#883 1 year ago

Tangential post:

I've recently installed oldschoolbob 's drop target sensors and have them working nicely. They drop, reset, score and make the sounds they should. However, I noted something that I thought was anomalous to my machine.

When a non-lit drop target drops, it scores what it should (2000) and make the score sound. However, when a lit drop target drops, it scores correctly (5000), but makes a 'red noise'-like sound before making the scoring sound. It does this for the red and orange sets.

Now, I thought there was something peculiar about my machine that I thought I'd have to trace, but watching some Blackout videos on youtube, they do the exact same thing. I'll attach a video below - skip to 9:00 (I've tried to link to that time) and listen for the sound when the right-hand lit orange drop target drops. That low-frequency 'hiss'.

Does everyone else's make the same sound? If not, how should it sound? (In which case, how would I go about fixing it?)

Thanks!!

#884 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

Congratulations, it’s a great game yuh

Quoted from Rampton:

Tangential post:
I've recently installed oldschoolbob 's drop target sensors and have them working nicely. They drop, reset, score and make the sounds they should. However, I noted something that I thought was anomalous to my machine.
When a non-lit drop target drops, it scores what it should (2000) and make the score sound. However, when a lit drop target drops, it scores correctly (5000), but makes a 'red noise'-like sound before making the scoring sound. It does this for the red and orange sets.
Now, I thought there was something peculiar about my machine that I thought I'd have to trace, but watching some Blackout videos on youtube, they do the exact same thing. I'll attach a video below - skip to 9:00 (I've tried to link to that time) and listen for the sound when the right-hand lit orange drop target drops. That low-frequency 'hiss'.
Does everyone else's make the same sound? If not, how should it sound? (In which case, how would I go about fixing it?)
Thanks!!

Mine makes the same noise as yours ...

#885 1 year ago

wildwillys Taylor has made me rails for a bunch of my games and they top notch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he is doing any rails right now. That said, I may be able to put together my old set. I have a bunch of those old blonde wrapped rails from a few games so it might take me a moment to sort out which ones actually go to Blackout. If I can track them all down, you can have them and just pay shipping.

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Robert, I’d be interested in the gogar head if your looking to part with it. My blackout head is rough!

I was going to use it to build a test fixture but could probably come up with something else. This one isn't rough and would probably be better on a game.

#887 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Thanks, Jeff

https://www.pinballlife.com/black-vinyl-wrapped-wood-rail-for-playfield-edges-1-18-x-12.html

Choose your length, comes with black vinyl featuring embossed woodgrain pre-wrapped. I have a saw (plus paint and/or vinyl) but my time is worth more than paying for this (plus my paint/vinyl wouldn't preserve the nice woodgrain look). Bought one for a Gorgar: looks fantastic, perfect OEM fit, and the original screws went right in with no fuss (use a pilot bit first for best results of course).

#888 1 year ago

I could trade you for the existing blackout head as it would be fine for a fixture. The light baffle is pretty bad, and there is bowing on the top board that I couldn’t straighten out.

I was going to use it to build a test fixture but could probably come up with something else. This one isn't rough and would probably be better on a game.

#889 1 year ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

https://www.pinballlife.com/black-vinyl-wrapped-wood-rail-for-playfield-edges-1-18-x-12.html
Choose your length, comes with black vinyl featuring embossed woodgrain pre-wrapped. I have a saw (plus paint and/or vinyl) but my time is worth more than paying for this (plus my paint/vinyl wouldn't preserve the nice woodgrain look). Bought one for a Gorgar: looks fantastic, perfect OEM fit, and the original screws went right in with no fuss (use a pilot bit first for best results of course).

Thanks, I just ordered rails

#890 1 year ago
Quoted from swillie:

Mine makes the same noise as yours ...

Thanks for the confirmation. That's quite an out of place sound considering it seems to be a feature and not a glitch.

1 week later
#891 1 year ago

I'm starting to work through the issues I have with this machine and taking them one at a time. I need some help with this one. I'm still learning about the boards so this one may be over my head.

The player 1 & 2 displays are missing the bottom left segment and the player 3 & 4 displays are missing the bottom segment.
Player 1 Score Display (resized).jpgPlayer 1 Score Display (resized).jpg
Player 3 Score Display (resized).jpgPlayer 3 Score Display (resized).jpg

After looking at the schematics, I narrowed this down that it might be the resistors controlling those specific segments.
Master Display Schematic (resized).jpegMaster Display Schematic (resized).jpeg

On the Master Display board, those resistors looked a little toasty so I replaced them and one other that looked bad. When I turned on the game I got white smoke from the two bad segment resistors and they are burnt again. The other one I replaced is fine.

Original board photo:Original Master Display (resized).jpegOriginal Master Display (resized).jpeg
Repaired Board:Repaired Master Display (resized).jpegRepaired Master Display (resized).jpeg

After start up: Fried Capacitor 1 (resized).jpegFried Capacitor 1 (resized).jpeg
Fried Capacitor 3 (resized).jpegFried Capacitor 3 (resized).jpeg

I assume now that there is something 'upstream' causing this. Where should I check from here? Possibly one of the chips on the board?

Thanks for the help.

#892 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I'm starting to work through the issues I have with this machine and taking them one at a time. I need some help with this one. I'm still learning about the boards so this one may be over my head.
The player 1 & 2 displays are missing the bottom left segment and the player 3 & 4 displays are missing the bottom segment.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
After looking at the schematics, I narrowed this down that it might be the capacitors controlling those specific segments.
[quoted image]
On the Master Display board, those capacitors looked a little toasty so I replaced them and one other that looked bad. When I turned on the game I got white smoke from the two bad segment capacitors and they are burnt again. The other one I replaced is fine.
Original board photo:[quoted image]
Repaired Board:[quoted image]
After start up: [quoted image]
[quoted image]
I assume now that there is something 'upstream' causing this. Where should I check from here? Possibly one of the chips on the board?
Thanks for the help.

Looks like someone installed some 1/4 watt resistors instead of 1/2 watt. If the larger ones burn up you may have bad glass.

#893 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I'm starting to work through the issues I have with this machine and taking them one at a time.

Unrelated, but it looks like you've got some wire greening (green slime leaching out of the wire) you'll have to deal with at some point - likely the same issue at the other end of these wires.

Wire_GreenSlime.jpgWire_GreenSlime.jpg

#894 1 year ago

Thanks guys. I guess my thinking was good but my execution failed. I will put the 1/2 W resistors in Monday and see what happens.

I did not know about the green slime. I’ll check the other end tomorrow. After some quick googling, it looks like the best fix is to re-wire it. Is that the only option?

#895 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

After some quick googling, it looks like the best fix is to re-wire it.

I normally solder a short piece of matching (or as close to) color wire, heat-shrink the joint and recrimp the new end wire.
If you simply recrimp the original wire the problem will eventually come back.
You'll need to clean the slime out of the connector housing and the surface where the connector makes contact.

#896 1 year ago

Check out this ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/112329

Out of the master displays listed, nearly half have the same resistor burn-out issue. Mine did too, so I replaced it. I'm guessing there's a common problem upstream, as noted, causing this? Is this common for all System 6 or just Blackout?

#897 1 year ago
Quoted from Rampton:

Check out this ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/112329
Out of the master displays listed, nearly half have the same resistor burn-out issue. Mine did too, so I replaced it. I'm guessing there's a common problem upstream, as noted, causing this? Is this common for all System 6 or just Blackout?

I’ve seen it on system 3-6 when the glass goes bad on a slave display.

#898 1 year ago

I’ve seen it on system 3-6 when the glass goes bad on a slave display.

As in there's a crack/leak or something? I don't know what's meant. Sorry.

#899 1 year ago

Would this be a sign that the display is going bad? The bottom edges of these segments are brighter and flickering a bit.

B1128781-F806-46D2-929B-AD135F106272 (resized).jpegB1128781-F806-46D2-929B-AD135F106272 (resized).jpeg
#900 1 year ago
Quoted from Rampton:

As in there's a crack/leak or something? I don't know what's meant. Sorry.

If it is cracked or leaked then nothing display and they are toast. Some seemed to work but would drag down other displays and burn up resistors on the Master display. Some displays seem to draw more current as they age and just can't be used reliably.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,010 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome/page/18?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.