3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#605 4 years ago

Question for fellow Blackout owners-

Never owned one before and I noticed something curious and was wondering if normal.

1) Start a one player game and left it finish as normal. Displays 2, 3 & 4 will all show 000,000.

2) Machine will go into game over mode. Display one will show last score and alternate with high score. All other displays will show 000,000 still.

3) After period of time machine will go into attract mode- state "BLACKOUT" drop the GI lights and displays and then go back to alternating high score mode.

4) Player one display will alternate last score and high score but the other three displays will now show highscore instead of 000,000.

Is this normal?

#610 4 years ago

Video for those wondering, I didn't even play a game just let it sit till it went into attract mode.

Ok, sounds normal so move along!

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

- Check/replace any bad caps on the power supply and sound cards.

Just replace, just a few bucks.

3 weeks later
#635 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I thought there was a mirrored one.... Does CPR not make this for them though?

The one on Planetary is mirrored.

1 week later
#642 4 years ago

Finally got around to fusing my bridges on Blackout, easy upgrade that took a hot 10 minutes.

1 month later
#669 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Based on what I've heard, any day now. Within the next week tops
Now I just need to find a damned machine. Covid has kind of dried the used market
I grabbed a Black Knight to work on in the meantime but I'd much rather have a Blackout again. I'm a scifi nerd and it was my first pin.

Enjoy mine, didn't think I would at first. If I'm playing and don't make Blackout by the last ball the start button gets mashed again.

20200421_100610 (resized).jpg20200421_100610 (resized).jpg
#671 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Kayso...general question...pristine cabinets or do you leave the scuffs and scars?

Only time I do repaints is badly trashed, otherwise light touchups

1 month later
#741 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Idk about down there and its hard to say how much a Hardtop will increase the value since they are just hitting the market but up.here Blackout is Gorgar level cheap. Under 2k Cdn EVERYTIME. Most expensive Blackout 8ve seen was sold for $1,800cdn. Id imagine a beaty Hardtopped Blackout could fetch closer to $2,500cdn if it ALSO had a repro backglass. This isnt a desirable imvestment pin. Its a labour of love pin. If you dont think you will enjoy it, i would skip all the work, costs and headaches.

Of late best price I have seen was $2000USD

Pity as it is a really fun game with great art and sound, not sure why little love for the title.

#744 3 years ago

Not sure the reference. What is wrong with System 6?

#748 3 years ago

Not sure either. Same board set as Firepower and both great machines. Once the original boards have been properly gone through they are solid and work well. Just have to make sure not to cut corners and be aware of all the known issues and updates.

Have to say mine has been very reliable since being gone through.

#751 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

^^this is why^^
I love how you make it seem like no big deal though.
An entry level pin requireing that much work to bullet proof only supports my original response of "system 6"
The AVERAGE system 6 buyer/owner doesnt necessarily have the skill set to do all that work.

Odd as the statement can apply to any piece of hardware that is over 30 years old. Caps dont care if in a system 6, 7 or 11. A lot of this hardware is way beyond expected life.

Frankly if you are not willing to get hands dirty you should not be fooling with 30 or 40 year old arcade hardware in my opinion or you need to have a good tech on call. Bulletproofing is going to happen regardless of system.

Just a follow up- I have seen distaste for early solid state hardware from people with some stratification. Some guys will not play anything without a DMD for example, hell I have seen people unwilling to play any game without a COLOR DMD minimum. The early solid states have a stigma to them perhaps unfairly that they are nothing more than solid state EM games which to some extent is true. Mostly are single level playfields with little or no multiball as a rule of thumb.

I think it is a poor choice arbitrarily ignoring them as there are some gems from this era that have great play and sound.

#753 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Other games of this era have their weak spots too - Stern and Bally with that power board that is always burned up - .100 pitch connectors that are flaky - SCRs burning out in the lamp matrix.

I have one Bally that those .100 has been such a PITA I'm selling it.

It has been an endless issue on this pin. Like playing whack-a-mole.

#759 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

First thing I do is make sure that the boards are solid. I do not have the skills to do this myself. SEND THEM OUT to Robotworkshop, Eugene or Chris (or whoever your experience board guy is locally).
If you bulletproof the boards, this will eliminate all kinds of fluky, weird stuff.

Look, I'm no great shakes when it comes to electronics. I'm good with general electrical repairs but when you get down to board level repair I'm still weak on theory but I'm good with my hands and willing to learn. There are some very good guides out on the internet and this board for how to bulletproof various platforms.

It took me a day to replace the 40 way interconnect, rebuild the power board with new caps and replace the diodes with heavy duty versions and add fuses to the bridges to protect the wiring in case of bridge failure. Not a big deal IMHO.

And yes, LED across the board. Warm White in clear and frosted domes goes a long way to reducing amp loads. More of a problem with some pins like Data East but can't hurt here either and better for the plastics and backglass too.

4 months later
#786 3 years ago

Back in the main lineup where Medusa was stationed.

20201105_171032 (resized).jpg20201105_171032 (resized).jpg20201105_190719 (resized).jpg20201105_190719 (resized).jpg
11 months later
#848 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Bump. Anyone?

I'll hook you up bro, take me a day or two to shuffle around pins so I can get the glass off. Drop me a reminder if you don't see a post by Sunday night.

20201105_171032 (resized).jpg20201105_171032 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#863 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Would anyone happen to know why my Blackout has older style flipper mechanisms ?
Operator hack ? It seems the extra screws indicate someone has done a retro "upgrade" at some time.
[quoted image]

Common on overseas pins to get retrofitted with Gottlieb mechs for some reason. Cheaper, available or more durable? Take your pick.

2 months later
#871 1 year ago

I saw that post on Facebook about this game. While some of that looks bad the boards look good and will clean up well. Once properly refreshed those should be solid. I've done a bunch of those sets. Will need new DIP sockets, electrolytic caps, new 40pin interconnect and normal clean up but you'll have good boards.
Blackout is a great game and worth saving.
Too bad you aren't closer. I think I still have a spare Blackout playfield as a spare (in case I wanted to do a hard top) and I have a Gorgar head I was going to use as a test fixture. I could probably just take out the internals and use something else for the wood part if needed.
See if anyone closer comes through but if not i'll see what I have.

Touch base with @sataneatscheese, he has a wall hanger Blackout playfield.

#875 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Thank you so much Mike I really appreciate the help with the playfield, it will be perfect for a hardtop
Now to find a head
Jeff[quoted image]

Glad I could point you in Mike's direction.

Gary

#881 1 year ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

I'm looking for a set of the wood playfield rails for my Blackout if anyone has a used set or I remember a while ago someone was making new ones for a bunch of different machines but can't remember who.
Thanks, Jeff

Easy to make if you have a friend with table saw.

2 months later
#921 1 year ago
Quoted from danielflashdrake:

I just had an issue come up twice in the last 3 days. I’ll be playing and then all of a sudden everything goes dead except the play files lights. The flippers won’t work. The insert lights go off. And the scoring displays turn off. Anyone know what could be causing this? It happened randomly both times. I took a picture the 2nd time.
[quoted image]

Check the connectors at the top of the MPU, the contacts often lose tension and get a bad connection.

If you can take off and reinstall the connectors once or twice and the problem goes away for several weeks you might have the cause.

9 months later
#962 10 months ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Random, could also be the horseshoe switch on the drop target that doesn't make contact well. Inspect the drop target unit, clean the little PCBs maybe sand gently the cupper area and register again the contact . Also check daisy chain solders.

I was going to suggest making sure the assembly was clean too, I just had a Williams that someone GREASED the coil and sleeve.

Reset was erratic till it was all cleaned.

#964 10 months ago
Quoted from Bill62:

Thanks everyone. I did have the unit apart and it was filthy. Cleaned the contacts and horseshoes with rubbing alcohol, but being my first time trying this I might not have a good sense on clean and how much pressure the contacts need. Daisy chain wiring seems solid.

For cleanup of the contacts nothing overly aggressive. If something is really tarnished I use a fine 3M abrasive pad dipped in solvent like acetone. Even then it's a light touch as you don't want to take the gold coating off.

10 months later
#1008 5 days ago
Quoted from Flip-it-good:

I wouldn't trade my Blackout for anything but a Firepower. But following up a big hit like FP was impossible, they threw everything at this machine and it wasn't even close. Just an opinion. The reason? Not so much the layout but the lack of multi-ball and a mediocre sound package. The explosions on FP are thrilling! Getting "Blackout" should have had a grander sound and lightshow reward, even though blacking out was the point. Would love to retool the sound package.

I have owned both... Blackout is the superior game in my opinion.

Firepower lasted a month, Blackout still here and played weekly after years of ownership.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.