• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally1.PNG
20131128_222947.jpg
20131128_222932.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I want to say I have had numerous problems with the connector that feeds power (12V?) to the regulator to generate the +5V logic supply. If that connector so much as blinks open the system crashes.
It is always scorched on an unrepaired game.
I think it's one of those fat wires.

The orange 12v ground return wire is what burns. Tying the negative lead of the filter cap to master ground helps this not happen.

This is the hardest issues to trouble shoot. I just had a 6800 CPU that would overheat and lock up. Took an hour or two of attract mode before it happened. I would exhaust power supply issues first though.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I just noticed the 5V regulator here is a 78H05. I know they used these but isn't the lm 323 rated higher? I'm going to repin J3 (the long one) on the SDB as I haven't yet done that, blerg, repinning...

If the regulator is outputtting 4.8v to 5.25v, it is fine.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

What about AC ripple on the regulator output ?

9/10 ripple on the 12v line is going to be a failure of the c23 cap, not the regulator. I suppose it could happen, and ripple is a really good thing to check tho. Meter on AC low volts. Check across the filter cap leads. Should be less than 0.25vac. There should be near zero ripple on the 5v line.

#15 9 years ago

Your power supply is clean. Check on the MPU. Is R113 or R16 burned, bottom left corner, zero crossing circuit. Can you make the mpu crash or reboot by gently flexing on the ICs in scokets? The IC sockets in these -17 boards are pretty unreliable.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

you may be barking up the wrong tree on this.
on the -17 MPU board, have you replaced the chip sockets? on every -17 board, and i do mean every one, the sockets need to be replaced. especially if it's those brown sockets (though the black closed frame ones are bad too.)
what happens is as the game warms up, the chips actually expand a bit and push themselves out of the old sockets. all you need is one millisecond of non-conductivity, and that will lock the MPU board.
you didn't say what you did to the MPU board itself, this is why i ask. Personally i run with a combo U2 2732 EPROM (so there's no need to change the U6 socket) on -17 chime games using an original -17 MPU board.

+1 on recommending doing the single 2732 at U2, it is the ideal setup. One less socket to swap out, one less place to have a physical connection issue. The cut/jumpering is pretty easy for that setup as well.

There is not much documentation about doing so, but this single eprom at u2 works for all the stern mpu-100 games as well.

With the -17 MPU, from the factory you either have the closed from AUGAT sockets (crappy), or the close frame brown/orange socket(extra crappy). You can pull the housing off the augat socket, pull each pin one at a time, you can leave the paper in while you pull pins. The brown/orange sockets you need a good desoldering tool and take them off in one piece, it usually desolders well and falls out.

#21 9 years ago

The pinwiki tutorial provides so much information it gets confusing. It could be reworded in a simpler fashion. Basically you cut 2 or 3 traces and make 3 or 4 jumpers.

Here are some old pics i have that are pretty clear. You can see i cut a trace around the e3 jumper.
20131128_222932.jpg20131128_222932.jpg

On the backside you can see where i cut a trace near my blue jumper wire.

20131128_222947.jpg20131128_222947.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-17-mata-hari-power-issue-runs-then-dies?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.