(Topic ID: 30814)

Wow! Roller Coaster Tycoon is the worst!

By DrewAVL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by shardian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drewavl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So I am on vacation right now. I came down to Mississippi to visit my buddy and to go to the Hornets Thunder game this past friday. While I was in New Orleans I hit all the spots that had pinball, I went to a bar (Igors) in the French quarter that had a Monster Bash, my favorite game but it was in such bad shape it wasn't even fun. Went to an Irish bar outside of the city that had a T2, Fish Tales and a creature. The machines were in decent shape and we enjoyed ourselves. I also went to Chuckie Cheese because in Asheville their Shrek machine is in awesome shape so I figured what the hell. We showed up and they had a roller coaster tycoon there. The game was in decent shape, had a few things glued on and rigged but the machine was decently clean and functioned. The CC was really busy so I was a jerk and filled up the machine with tokens so me and my buddy could play for awhile. I wanted to leave after game one. We were playing well and achieved high scores and I did enjoy some of the shots but that is the most god awful theme. The troll is the main toy and literally appears as someone wanted to add a mod and so they glued a troll on it. It serves no function and is just an inanimate object. I was telling my buddy who isn't really into pinball that all games are not like this, that whoever designed this was out of their minds. I then looked down and saw this was designed by Lawlor!?!?!? Stern must have handed him that flaming bag of shit and he couldn't do anything. Maybe he liked all of the possibilities for ramps because of the theme? All I know is I question what Stern and Lawlor were thinking in making such an awful game. Does anyone know if the designers are assigned the themes and have no say or if Pat was like "yeah let's put one of those troll things from the early 90's right there" "should it do something?" "no, just glue it there... Perfect!"

#4 11 years ago

I played 10 games on it. I fed it a ton of coins before ever playing it so I was invested. I got ten good games on it. The artwork made me depressed and the toys/gimmicks were uninspired and sad. I can overlook bad themes such as The Flinstones, I think that game is really fun! But this game, in my opinion, was childish and depressing in every way. If people dig it, awesome! Not for me. I am curious though if stern just assigns the themes to the designers or if they have say or veto power. Also was Lawlor the guy that came up with the troll? If he wasn't, could he have said no? These are the things that trouble me. If I was a legend I would not want my name on a machine that had such terrible artwork and toys, or maybe that was his doing... This is where my curiosity lies.

#25 11 years ago

To each their own. I am not hating on those that enjoy it. I personally could not stand it. I was posting this to give my opinion and to hopefully find out if Pat Lawlor had say in the theme and toys as I do not know how that works... The control over theme and toys that the designer has or doesn't have.

I will go as far to say I question anyone who thinks this pin is cool, not the game play but the theme and look of it. Grown men who dig trolls are questionable at the very least

#26 11 years ago

Kwiki - what part of San Diego do you live? I moved to Asheville from PB. I lived right on garnett. Great city, it was just too damn expensive and too crazy for me. Fining urine and puke on my porch nearly everyday became too much for me.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Almost sounds like you assume that all pinball machines should be made for manly men. I notice you owned TOTAN, TOM, both fairly girly looking pins IMO. I get it if you don't like the theme, but pinball is all basically tongue-in-cheek fun.

I am not sure how I assumed anything, you assumed that I thought all themes should be manly. I like many games that are not manly and I think part of the beauty of pinball is that it can be enjoyed by all demographics. With that being said I dont think the demographic for RCT should be grown ass men, but that is just my opinion. Also I dont own either of those games actually. But I still do not get how a treasure chest or a genie lamp can even be compared to a troll. My point was not to upset folks who enjoy it, I was attempting to be humorous and point out that I do not like it.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. I always appreciate reviews from experienced people like yourself.
Oh BTW, did you and your buddy figure out the whole "2 player game" situation
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-question-seeking-easy-answer

Thanks! Your sarcasm and attempt to belittle me are not appreciated. I never claimed to be an expert, nor do I have to be. I dont have to be a hair dresser to think a mullet is ugly do I? I hope being an @$$hole boosted your low self esteem. I was trying to be humerous, but in all seriousness would you like to explain how grown men who like troll toys are normal? I dont come here looking to get my internet thug on but when attacked I will back it up.

#38 11 years ago

Thanks Examiner, that would be what I was looking for. My intention was not to piss of the world. I suppose a leason learned, posting strong opinions on something subjective will lead to hurt feelings and personal attacks.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

<--- that denotes a joke, as it was a humorous jab at you. But, if you want to go bat shit crazy, by all means.

I should go back and add a smily face to my response then. Point noted.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I will make a mod for this some day. I have been thinking how / what to do with the programed up down movement already programed and built into the troll.
The only tie in the troll has is the art work above the pops and the drop targets.

I think that would help the look of the game dramatically! You would probably make allot of folks happy to offer an alternative to it.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Phrases like "flaming bag of sh*t", questioning how anyone can possibly enjoy the theme and be a grown man, etc. leave you wide open to responses in the same vein. Wouldn't let it stop you from posting your opinions, that is what forums are for, but if you start slinging mud don't get surprised when some gets tossed back at you.

I agree with all that you said and have no problem with it. I did not personally attack anyone though. I want people to comeback with an explanation though not a personal attack. For instance the law basically stated that I am not an experienced enough player for him to respect my opinion. I want an explanation from him stating how a troll doll was a good idea or looks cool because my point was it took away from the game.

I would also like to hear a response from Baiter who said I owned games I don't own. He also said that TOM $ TOTAN are as lame at RCT. I do not understand how a treasure chest and genie lamp can be compared to a troll doll.

I did not thrash back at those that said "I like it" I simply defended myself from those that attacked me without backing it up with a defense.

#47 11 years ago

Fair enough, I am burnt out on the subject. In my opinion the game is garbage and the theme made me depressed. All other opinions are of course welcome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drewavl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wow-roller-coaster-tycoon-is-the-worst?tu=drewavl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.