(Topic ID: 30814)

Wow! Roller Coaster Tycoon is the worst!

By DrewAVL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by shardian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

So I am on vacation right now. I came down to Mississippi to visit my buddy and to go to the Hornets Thunder game this past friday. While I was in New Orleans I hit all the spots that had pinball, I went to a bar (Igors) in the French quarter that had a Monster Bash, my favorite game but it was in such bad shape it wasn't even fun. Went to an Irish bar outside of the city that had a T2, Fish Tales and a creature. The machines were in decent shape and we enjoyed ourselves. I also went to Chuckie Cheese because in Asheville their Shrek machine is in awesome shape so I figured what the hell. We showed up and they had a roller coaster tycoon there. The game was in decent shape, had a few things glued on and rigged but the machine was decently clean and functioned. The CC was really busy so I was a jerk and filled up the machine with tokens so me and my buddy could play for awhile. I wanted to leave after game one. We were playing well and achieved high scores and I did enjoy some of the shots but that is the most god awful theme. The troll is the main toy and literally appears as someone wanted to add a mod and so they glued a troll on it. It serves no function and is just an inanimate object. I was telling my buddy who isn't really into pinball that all games are not like this, that whoever designed this was out of their minds. I then looked down and saw this was designed by Lawlor!?!?!? Stern must have handed him that flaming bag of shit and he couldn't do anything. Maybe he liked all of the possibilities for ramps because of the theme? All I know is I question what Stern and Lawlor were thinking in making such an awful game. Does anyone know if the designers are assigned the themes and have no say or if Pat was like "yeah let's put one of those troll things from the early 90's right there" "should it do something?" "no, just glue it there... Perfect!"

#2 11 years ago

+1 It's the only game I have ever played where I left befor my 3 balls we're up. It is an absolute stinker. But I am sure there are worse out there and there are prob people that think it's great and more power to them.

#3 11 years ago

First, you absolutely cannot judge a game in just one ball let alone one game. So walkin away with balls to play means you really didn't give the game a fair shake.

I agree the troll toy doesn't make any sense. But there is a decent amount of ramps and it actually does a good job implementing a roller coaster theme. With the outlanes totally opened the game isn't so easy and it's got some decent flow in a nice non-fan layout. I don't think the game is top 10 but it's definitely not terrible.

#4 11 years ago

I played 10 games on it. I fed it a ton of coins before ever playing it so I was invested. I got ten good games on it. The artwork made me depressed and the toys/gimmicks were uninspired and sad. I can overlook bad themes such as The Flinstones, I think that game is really fun! But this game, in my opinion, was childish and depressing in every way. If people dig it, awesome! Not for me. I am curious though if stern just assigns the themes to the designers or if they have say or veto power. Also was Lawlor the guy that came up with the troll? If he wasn't, could he have said no? These are the things that trouble me. If I was a legend I would not want my name on a machine that had such terrible artwork and toys, or maybe that was his doing... This is where my curiosity lies.

#5 11 years ago

I sort of like this title, still want one someday. Only stinker by lawlor I can think of is monopoly, but that also has unfinished code

#6 11 years ago

I owned it for several months (about 5 years ago) and felt the same way. Couldn't wait til the new ownner came and got it out of my house. Not a fan at all, but willing to try it again, someday....maybe.

#7 11 years ago

Stinker is the word.....I owned it for a while, definately not a title I liked. But I like jumping on the grenade sometimes. Got an avaterd, love it......had a JM back when no one liked it, had a nascar, had a monopoly, going today to get a BBH

#8 11 years ago

Im going to have to disagree with you on the game not being fun. It has a ton of great shots and an interesting layout. Its not the same fan layout every other game has, and I enjoyed the ruleset. The art is bla, as is the theme... the toys are, well I won't comment because I do not care all that much if a game has good toys. TOM and CV have great toys, but after I owned them for a while I did not care if I ever hit them with the ball again.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

filled up the machine with tokens so me and my buddy could play for awhile. I wanted to leave after game one

You should have, only tokens. I went out of my way to play a MSF, it was a shocker, left after one game. MSF is a good game, this machine was just posing as MSF.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Stinker is the word.....I owned it for a while, definately not a title I liked. But I like jumping on the grenade sometimes. Got an avaterd, love it......had a JM back when no one liked it, had a Nascar, had a Monopoly, going today to get a BBH

BBH is a fun game. Good luck.

Mk

#11 11 years ago

BBH is the best!

#12 11 years ago

I like RCT. Not deep enough but a quirky, fun game. To each their own opinion.

#13 11 years ago

Just curious Drew, did you rule the park at all during your 10 games?

I personally like RCT for shot layout and variety mainly, but my one complaint is that it needed a bit more depth since after figuring out the shallow ruleset I was able to make it to the wizard mode about 1 out of 10 games.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from TopScoreGameroom:

I like RCT. Not deep enough but a quirky, fun game. To each their own opinion.

I agree with this. And the wizard mode is pretty fun. Its nice to play after getting my ass kicked by other machines

#15 11 years ago

Agreed, super boring. I was having trouble just finishing my game the last time i played it. Walked away from the replay.

#16 11 years ago

Count me as another supporter of RCT. I really like the game. Being a roller coaster fanatic, I also played all 3 of the RCT computer games (and their expansion packs) for countless hours on end. So, the theme is totally up my alley.

However, I will admit the the troll sucks!

Later,
EV

#17 11 years ago

Great game! you couldn't be farther from right , sir!

#18 11 years ago

I think the game shoots fairly well, and it's not just me... several seasoned pinball players I know think it's a pretty solid game, even if it's not super deep. 4 flippers, 3 great wireforms, very solid shots and flow. Most negative opinions have come from a poorly maintained game, I've seen many opinions turn once they play a game that's completely dialed up.

The troll is actually animated unlike most playfield toys on other games... in a couple modes it bounces up and down, and hurls insults at you, like a dunk-the-dummy tank at a state fair (probably loosely modelled after Rudy too). I can understand if someone doesn't like the looks of the troll, but it's one of the most simple game mods around if anyone is really bothered by it... maybe with a clown or a teddy bear....who knows.

The art and playfield colors aren't the best in the business, but it's largely pulled from the video game itself. The mini-dmd on the playfield is cool. Love it or hate it, everyone has an opinion

#19 11 years ago

The worst? Not even close. Maybe "not great" for it's time but not the worst. The shots are fun, if nothing else.

#20 11 years ago

It is pretty bad. I hate the theme, I hate how everything scores 10,000 points or less. There are a lot of interesting shots and ramps, but the complete package sucks. It could be a great re-theme with a better, deeper ruleset. To make things worse, RCTs are *ALWAYS* broken on route so it makes playing it even less fun than if it worked.

A buddy of mine is having his RCT gone through by a local op. The whole nine yards. He needs a place to put it as he doesn't have room, so it is coming to my place when it is done. Maybe I will like the game more when I don't have to pay to play.

#21 11 years ago

If its working 100% its a solid B for me.
I have owned it sold it and just bought a HUO.
If Avengers has all stuff RCT has with a better theme it will be a killer game.

I love coasters and have it right next to FH ....and RCT gets played more.

Just remember it sucks....lets keep the price down.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It could be a great re-theme with a better, deeper ruleset.

I'd be interested to see if anyone does anything with that. It could use a complete re-do of the rules, agreed.

#23 11 years ago

I hated it at first....then while vacationing at Disney, it was the only pin at the Wilderness Lodge. I played a ton after the parks closed for the night and started to enjoy it. Now RCT is on my want list (the extended list and not the short must have list)

#24 11 years ago

Still better than TRS.

#25 11 years ago

To each their own. I am not hating on those that enjoy it. I personally could not stand it. I was posting this to give my opinion and to hopefully find out if Pat Lawlor had say in the theme and toys as I do not know how that works... The control over theme and toys that the designer has or doesn't have.

I will go as far to say I question anyone who thinks this pin is cool, not the game play but the theme and look of it. Grown men who dig trolls are questionable at the very least

#26 11 years ago

Kwiki - what part of San Diego do you live? I moved to Asheville from PB. I lived right on garnett. Great city, it was just too damn expensive and too crazy for me. Fining urine and puke on my porch nearly everyday became too much for me.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Being a roller coaster fanatic, I also played all 3 of the RCT computer games (and their expansion packs) for countless hours on end.

Didn't you hate it when you spent hours making a killer coaster, only for your patrons to jump up in alarm at the entrance because it was too intense! "Ride it you wussies!"

#28 11 years ago

can you take the troll out w/out messing up the look of the game?

#29 11 years ago

The troll is the only really horrible part aboot this game. It's a good player with satisfying shots...that upper flipper short loop shot being a nice one. It's not a super game but far from the worst.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

I will go as far to say I question anyone who thinks this pin is cool, not the game play but the theme and look of it. Grown men who dig trolls are questionable at the very least

Almost sounds like you assume that all pinball machines should be made for manly men. I notice you owned TOTAN, TOM, both fairly girly looking pins IMO. I get it if you don't like the theme, but pinball is all basically tongue-in-cheek fun.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

Grown men who dig trolls are questionable at the very least

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. I always appreciate reviews from experienced people like yourself.

Oh BTW, did you and your buddy figure out the whole "2 player game" situation

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-question-seeking-easy-answer

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Almost sounds like you assume that all pinball machines should be made for manly men. I notice you owned TOTAN, TOM, both fairly girly looking pins IMO. I get it if you don't like the theme, but pinball is all basically tongue-in-cheek fun.

I am not sure how I assumed anything, you assumed that I thought all themes should be manly. I like many games that are not manly and I think part of the beauty of pinball is that it can be enjoyed by all demographics. With that being said I dont think the demographic for RCT should be grown ass men, but that is just my opinion. Also I dont own either of those games actually. But I still do not get how a treasure chest or a genie lamp can even be compared to a troll. My point was not to upset folks who enjoy it, I was attempting to be humorous and point out that I do not like it.

#33 11 years ago

RCT isnt that bad in a multigame collection. Sometimes it is fun to just play a game not to deep with some great shots. By itself though it could get old fast. The troll is a bit odd and probably would have worked better as an insultor like Rudy if it didn't come across so happy and goofy.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. I always appreciate reviews from experienced people like yourself.
Oh BTW, did you and your buddy figure out the whole "2 player game" situation
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stupid-question-seeking-easy-answer

Thanks! Your sarcasm and attempt to belittle me are not appreciated. I never claimed to be an expert, nor do I have to be. I dont have to be a hair dresser to think a mullet is ugly do I? I hope being an @$$hole boosted your low self esteem. I was trying to be humerous, but in all seriousness would you like to explain how grown men who like troll toys are normal? I dont come here looking to get my internet thug on but when attacked I will back it up.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

Thanks! Your sarcasm and attempt to belittle me are not appreciated. I never claimed to be an expert, nor do I have to be. I dont have to be a hair dresser to think a mullet is ugly do I? I hope being an @$$hole boosted your low self esteem. I was trying to be humerous, but in all seriousness would you like to explain how grown men who like troll toys are normal? I dont come here looking to get my internet thug on but when attacked I will back it up.

<--- that denotes a joke, as it was a humorous jab at you. But, if you want to go bat shit crazy, by all means.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

hopefully find out if Pat Lawlor had say in the theme and toys as I do not know how that works..

Lawlor speaks to this in his Topcast interview (well worth a listen if you haven't yet).

It's been awhile since I've heard it, but I recall that he stated he always wanted to do an amusement park theme, but when he was at Williams that was always Oursler's domain. So he never got the chance.

So when offered the opportunity at Stern, he said "yes". I'm sure he didn't specifically request a RCT theme. That would've been arranged by the licensing people. But the theme was offered to him (as a designer) and he said yes.

As for the troll, no doubt he had something much more involved in mind but was quickly shot down by the cost accounting people. So I wouldn't blame him for that.....

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

+1 It's the only game I have ever played where I left befor my 3 balls we're up. It is an absolute stinker. But I am sure there are worse out there and there are prob people that think it's great and more power to them.

Thats so true. I left 2 balls behind at the Pinball HOF in Vegas. The game sucked..

#38 11 years ago

Thanks Examiner, that would be what I was looking for. My intention was not to piss of the world. I suppose a leason learned, posting strong opinions on something subjective will lead to hurt feelings and personal attacks.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

Thanks Examiner, that would be what I was looking for. My intention was not to piss of the world. I suppose a leason learned, posting strong opinions on something subjective will lead to hurt feelings and personal attacks.

You didn't piss off the world, everyone knows that Star Wars Trilogy is the worst pin ever made, you just didn't get the memo

RCT is fun, but it isn't one that would stick around a lot of smaller collections.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

can you take the troll out w/out messing up the look of the game?

I will make a mod for this some day. I have been thinking how / what to do with the programed up down movement already programed and built into the troll.
The only tie in the troll has is the art work above the pops and the drop targets.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

<--- that denotes a joke, as it was a humorous jab at you. But, if you want to go bat shit crazy, by all means.

I should go back and add a smily face to my response then. Point noted.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I will make a mod for this some day. I have been thinking how / what to do with the programed up down movement already programed and built into the troll.
The only tie in the troll has is the art work above the pops and the drop targets.

I think that would help the look of the game dramatically! You would probably make allot of folks happy to offer an alternative to it.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

Phrases like "flaming bag of sh*t", questioning how anyone can possibly enjoy the theme and be a grown man, etc. leave you wide open to responses in the same vein. Wouldn't let it stop you from posting your opinions, that is what forums are for, but if you start slinging mud don't get surprised when some gets tossed back at you.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Phrases like "flaming bag of sh*t", questioning how anyone can possibly enjoy the theme and be a grown man, etc. leave you wide open to responses in the same vein. Wouldn't let it stop you from posting your opinions, that is what forums are for, but if you start slinging mud don't get surprised when some gets tossed back at you.

I agree with all that you said and have no problem with it. I did not personally attack anyone though. I want people to comeback with an explanation though not a personal attack. For instance the law basically stated that I am not an experienced enough player for him to respect my opinion. I want an explanation from him stating how a troll doll was a good idea or looks cool because my point was it took away from the game.

I would also like to hear a response from Baiter who said I owned games I don't own. He also said that TOM $ TOTAN are as lame at RCT. I do not understand how a treasure chest and genie lamp can be compared to a troll doll.

I did not thrash back at those that said "I like it" I simply defended myself from those that attacked me without backing it up with a defense.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

For instance the law basically stated that I am not an experienced enough player for him to respect my opinion. I want an explanation from him stating how a troll doll was a good idea or looks cool because my point was it took away from the game.

I think you have reached an irrelevant conclusion. You're asking me to defend a position that is indefensible, because it was never mine.
I agreed right away the Wishing Troll was horrible, therefore asking me to defend it makes no sense, so I didn't reply.
Whether the doll is dumb or not (which it is...EVERYONE agrees it is) has nothing to do with the gameplay for me. Therefore it doesn't really upset me or make me dislike the game.

Quoted from DrewAVL:

He also said that TOM $ TOTAN are as lame at RCT. I do not understand how a treasure chest and genie lamp can be compared to a troll doll.

Also, It's a Magician's Trunk not s "Treasure Chest" you F&*@ing n00b. <--- kiddding...pinside is a place for fun...lighten up

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from DrewAVL:

I would also like to hear a response from Baiter who said I owned games I don't own. He also said that TOM $ TOTAN are as lame at RCT. I do not understand how a treasure chest and genie lamp can be compared to a troll doll.

As others pointed out, you're not in the minority about the troll so if that's your biggest complaint. I was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of stating RCT is "not cool" and "trolls aren't manly." I like all the pins mentioned in this thread, I think...

#47 11 years ago

Fair enough, I am burnt out on the subject. In my opinion the game is garbage and the theme made me depressed. All other opinions are of course welcome.

#48 11 years ago

I love the PC games and expansion packs so the game is more fun for me I guess. It actually translated pretty well to a pin. Updated rules would help I guess, but like others said sometimes its fun to play a quick game where you can dominate after getting your butt kicked by TS, or other games that are a real challenge to "beat'.

Maybe the troll could be replaced with some sort of waterslide toy, relating to the expansion pack "Soaked!", or a better executed dunking booth.

Jason

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I haven't played RCT in a while, and I believe it barely worked at the time, but could a mod in which it was changed into a roller coaster car, maybe with people in it holding their hands up, and the up and down motion would be like they were going over a series of humps? Maybe that doesn't make sense, as I have no idea when in the game the troll movement happens, or what it even looks like.

#50 11 years ago

You've obviously never played Popeye! Nothing like a toilet seat in the middle of a playfield...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wow-roller-coaster-tycoon-is-the-worst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.