Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    196A9402-78C3-4F57-8D5D-B765B08AE29F.gif
    IMG_1199 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7917 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8031 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8817 (resized).png
    IMG_9674 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    A61E0C90-9A89-4FD0-A6F4-1BDE5DE7E9E0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8086 (resized).jpeg
    E1DAA857-3776-4D35-A2EC-793A00A8DA5F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 4 years ago

I would say to any of you, if you haven't tried it, don't start. I've never done hard drugs, or pot, or even a cigarette. I do like beer/alcohol though. If I'd never have tried it, I wouldn't know. And that would be for the best. I made it about a month eating and drinking clean. Without a doubt, it was the best I've felt in a long time.

I like beer a lot, but it is the f'ing worst in terms of weight gain and how you feel the next day. Vodka is not nearly as bad, but I much prefer beer "in the moment".

9 months later
    #174 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Still on the same cycle. I can't kick it. I have pretty much cut out hard alcohol but with all that has been going on I still have wine with my wife a couple nights a week. We party pretty hard on big weekends but I am sticking to beer. I would say I have slowed down a bit.
    But I guess I have failed.
    I will start my 60 days again in September.
    Good for you on stopping, I am sure in the long run your body will appreciate it!

Going from the hard stuff to beer is a win with alcohol content anyway. If you keep it up with beer, you will gain weight Though. Maybe try hard seltzer?

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hard seltzer is absolutely disgusting.

I tried some white claw had to spit it out. Zima was great in high school but it doesn't work now.

Beer will def make you fat. I have a friend who has gotten super into craft beers this pandemic and he's beefed on like 40 pounds, quick!

100 calories a can. Oh, I prefer beer, but 100 calorie or less beer is like drinking water.

Quoted from jorge5240:

I am actually in really good shape. I workout and hour a day and wakeboard at an elite level. I am not too worried about my looks or physical ability. I am concerned about long term effects and also how much better wakeboarder/shape I would be in if I stopped.
    I plan on doing another 60 days in September so we will see how it goes.
    I do love sitting with my Wife and sharing some wine though.

I don't know what your idea of hitting it hard is, but as they say, you can't outrun a bad diet. High calorie beer in quantity every weekend will cause weight gain. Weight affects your appearance and health. I think I misread though. You said big weekends and I read every weekend. If it is just every now and then, I'm sure you are fine.

1 week later
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Time goes by twice as slow when you are not drinking, so it would feel like 60 days.

Shi*! No Oktoberfest either. Too many good beers available starting then.

8 months later
    #237 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I had not realized how expensive drinking had got lately. My buddy spends $100 on IPA for one night of drinking at home. His wife drinks $60 a bottle pinot.

I suspect they are outliers. I also suspect they would fail a blind taste test with cheaper examples

1 year later
    #290 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

It's funny there is a thread on here about this subject, because lately I've been thinking a lot about cutting down on drinking. I don't exactly plan to stop drinking forever but I've come to the point where I realized I need to decrease the amount I drink.

Within the last two years or so I've gotten to the point of drinking at least 2-3 beers on my days off. I work on average 4-6 12 hr shifts straight and then have about the same amount of days off. I don't drink at all during the stretch of days I work, I'm too busy sleeping. I usually feel great when I'm not drinking during those 4-6 days. When I drink it's not really about getting buzzed or drunk, I'm just really into craft beer and like the taste. It also helps me relax and wind down after killing myself working in a stressful environment for too many hours.

That ain't mine, nor most's, definition of a drinking problem. But if you think it's too much, then it's too much. I've never smoked and I don't plan to. If I never had a beer, I wouldn't miss it and would probably be the better for it.

#292 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I didn't say that I felt like I had a drinking problem, just that I wanted to cut back on the amount I drink. The 2-3 beers is my minimum when I'm at home...if I go out it's usually a bit more.

It's cool. I'm just kinda of the mindset that if you think you need to drink less, you got a problem cause it's hard to not do something you enjoy.

3 months later
    #467 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

It’s 95% what you eat. I do light light weight lifting and walking around.. I’m talking 20 mins a day maybe… keeps me hard keeps me tight.

Yep, all I did was try to limit my calories to ~1500/day and try to get 15K steps a day. That's it. I dropped weight pretty quickly.

2 months later
    #513 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve been hitting the gym regularly since New Year, and I’m only down 5 pounds. Seems to be a lot harder to lose weight now than when I was younger.

Keep in mind you aren't just losing fat, but also gaining muscle when you workout.

1 month later
    #569 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Wow - my hat's off to you, I'm closing in on 59 and my granddaughter is 14 - I can't imagine having a 7 and 11 year old!
    They are incredibly fun at those ages though, I'm sure you're enjoying it!

I'm not sure my ticker could take raising teenagers in my 60's.

#572 12 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My wife and I are sitting here eating candy right now, lol.

That shi* f's me up worse than alcohol, physically anyway...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-here-has-stopped-drinking?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.