5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

o (resized).jpg
    20191225_204710 (resized).jpg
    20191221_185607 (resized).jpg
    20191224_173748 (resized).jpg
    20191224_185537 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1214 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20190915_212914183 (resized).jpg
    8F7C9C09-32A7-40AF-8E36-0E16FDEA17F0 (resized).jpeg
    8331A87A-5979-4028-9AF6-351A7E4FA43A (resized).jpeg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 54 days ago

What's the old adage of Samuel Clemens?
    "Quitting ______ is easy. I do it all the time."

I'm on a self enforced wagon right now. The first week is a bitch. Seriously. It gets much better after that. The hardest part is having to change ones routine. For example today is sunday funday at my local pinball pub. Is it even possible to go play ball in a bar and not drink? I doubt it. Best not to beat that horse.

#152 54 days ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

Today is my 6th day sober. To some that's laughable, but to me it's been a very hard 6 days. I really need and want to give it up completely except in a social aspect or family event and even then try to limit it to a couple drinks. But like some I have the problem of "once you pop you just can't stop" lol.

I didn't drink anything the whole month of November. The first day, weekend, and first usual alcohol based social activity are the hardest so you're doing great! After a few more days it will start to settle in as the new normal.

#153 53 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Question for those who have successfully quit drinking. How did you handle social situations at first? I live in a small town and the only entertainment/social gatherings are at the bar. Not sure if I could handle hanging out with people getting drunk while I stay sober.

No reason you can't socialize, A LOT easier these days since everywhere I live the bars are also non-smoking. Just grab something non-alcoholic from the bar and socialize. The nice thing is you can always throw the "I'm Driving" line these days and people have never given me a line of crap about it. That and I grab a snack / meal of some type.

The funny thing though is when I stopped drinking, my habits of where I go and what I do for fun also changed. I found myself going more to places based on what I find is fun. I didn't / don't intentionally avoid bars but over time I just went other places instead.

-Has

#154 53 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Question for those who have successfully quit drinking. How did you handle social situations at first? I live in a small town and the only entertainment/social gatherings are at the bar. Not sure if I could handle hanging out with people getting drunk while I stay sober.

It's not bad...and I know others who can not have alcohol for health reasons enjoy it and you may be surprised that's all you need to be a part..worth a try?

o (resized).jpg
    #155 48 days ago

Beer bong! Goooo!

#156 48 days ago

I enjoy drinking, but I recently received some very difficult news to hear.

I moved recently and my wife set us up appointments with a doctor in our new area. The doctor did all the testing, bloodwork, etc, since it was our first visit. I received a call a few days later with very discreet details essentially saying that I need to go back to the doctor urgently. That is the absolute last thing anyone wants to hear.

I made an appointment right away and went to hear that not only do I have a lot of bloodwork numbers that were "alarming, " but I also have adult onset diabetes.
    That really crushed my spirit.
    The good news is that I can eradicate it with diet and exercise.

As a result, I have had to stop drinking...which has been difficult for me.
    On the flip side...i have lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months.

#157 48 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I enjoy drinking, but I recently received some very difficult news to hear.
    I moved recently and my wife set us up appointments with a doctor in our new area. The doctor did all the testing, bloodwork, etc, since it was our first visit. I received a call a few days later with very discreet details essentially saying that I need to go back to the doctor urgently. That is the absolute last thing anyone wants to hear.
    I made an appointment right away and went to hear that not only do I have a lot of bloodwork numbers that were "alarming, " but I also have adult onset diabetes.
    That really crushed my spirit.
    The good news is that I can eradicate it with diet and exercise.
    As a result, I have had to stop drinking...which has been difficult for me.
    On the flip side...i have lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months.

Sorry to hear that. Don't worry assholes will be saying your sick. Your to damn skinny! Well enough about me. If your at pincinni this year how about push up contest?

#158 47 days ago

A week in to my 60 days and feel great. Eating right and exercising everyday as well. No drinks during the football game which is a big change. I feel great with all 3 phases going (diet, exercise, and no alcohol) but it is hard to stay disciplined in all three areas.

#159 47 days ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

A week in to my 60 days and feel great. Eating right and exercising everyday as well. No drinks during the football game which is a big change. I feel great with all 3 phases going (diet, exercise, and no alcohol) but it is hard to stay disciplined in all three areas.

Good for you! I am definitely not perfect but honestly I have been keeping up on this thread as somebody who very rarely drinks (like maybe a handful of drinks a year, and that is mostly a few glasses of wine). I have been this way most of my life.

I don't feel any pressure to drink socially, and if people find it "weird" then sad day for them. I am not going to start pouring a bunch of empty calories into my belly just to make myself mentally more slow... so other people can be more okay with doing it themselves? Screw that?

That being said I can understand how hard it is to break bad habits. Over the years I started eating more and more poorly, and not excercising as much as I should. When I hit the point of having to go up a pants size it was hard to ignore, so I started eating better (fewer treats), eating less, and going on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day.

Several years later i am down sixty pounds; though unlike with drugs and alcohol you can't responsibly 100% quit food. So for me it is a matter of staying within some reasonable limits but still eating some fun stuff as well.

What I really want to say is not everybody can do it easily, not everybody can do it alone, but if you REALLY want to make a change in your life you surely can do it. Nobody else is going to do it for you at the end of the day.

#160 47 days ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I'm really sorry to read this much about a bunch of drunks!! I never started drinking because,like cigarettes,its stupid,smelly,expensive,destructive to your health and puts you in a crowd of people generally frowned upon! I always see guys with a giant pot-belly,drink in one hand,cigarette in the other,talking crap about anything that they are doing!! How about you big business assholes that have to have several Martinis at lunch,and think that because you wear a silly suit and tie to work,your cool...NOT!!Who cares about how much money you can steal from your investors and laugh about it over a couple of drinks!! This is the underbelly of our society !!!!

Dude you wrote this sober? Man I thought I had issues.

#161 47 days ago

When you set self-care as your #1 priority in life, details like (drinking or not) fall into place.

-mof

#162 47 days ago

There is truth to that... Problem is once you past that first 30 days you feel good and start to think you can drink sometimes occasionally if you want... Well alcohol is a depressant and compounds that self esteem thing and you are right back where you started...Quitting is not easy at first, you gotta want it. But like a bad boyfriend time heals all wounds and it gets easier to forget.

#163 47 days ago

No alcohol for me for two decades, and I can prove it with just how boring I am and how infrequently people invite me out, etc. Bottled water, anyone?

#164 47 days ago

Omg that's funny, I just snorted coffee out my nose!...I know the feeling, even dogs find me offensive, and run off before they gotta listen to another boring lecture on power factor curves or something.

#165 47 days ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Good for you! I am definitely not perfect but honestly I have been keeping up on this thread as somebody who very rarely drinks (like maybe a handful of drinks a year, and that is mostly a few glasses of wine). I have been this way most of my life.
    I don't feel any pressure to drink socially, and if people find it "weird" then sad day for them. I am not going to start pouring a bunch of empty calories into my belly just to make myself mentally more slow... so other people can be more okay with doing it themselves? Screw that?
    That being said I can understand how hard it is to break bad habits. Over the years I started eating more and more poorly, and not excercising as much as I should. When I hit the point of having to go up a pants size it was hard to ignore, so I started eating better (fewer treats), eating less, and going on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day.
    Several years later i am down sixty pounds; though unlike with drugs and alcohol you can't responsibly 100% quit food. So for me it is a matter of staying within some reasonable limits but still eating some fun stuff as well.
    What I really want to say is not everybody can do it easily, not everybody can do it alone, but if you REALLY want to make a change in your life you surely can do it. Nobody else is going to do it for you at the end of the day.

I am 5’9 and 164 pounds. And I have been pretty fanatical about fitness besides the booze. I can do 100 plus pull ups in a work out no problem. I am just saying it is hard for me to stay 100% in all facets for longer than a month or so.

#166 47 days ago

Welp, went from drinking probably too much, to one beer since 12/31. Not doing the "Dry January " whatever, but had back surgery last week and a decent cold. Cold is gone, just lacking interest in drinking at the moment. A buddy laughed and said I wouldn't be able to handle a meal out without a brewski or five. Went out to lunch today, had a Pepsi, and I never drink soda, its probably been over two years since I had a Pepsi (Ginger ale here and there with Jameson, not often). If I want a drink, I'll have one, but let's see how long this goes.

#167 47 days ago

I never made it a habbit thankfully. I have 1 drink or less a year. Just not my thing.

#168 47 days ago

I stopped drinking about 1:00 AM.

I'll probably wait until after dinner to start again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.99
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside