Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D82F249-6938-436C-A6C6-472EFE47E52E.gif
    20221114_160650.jpg
    08B25AF1-9C5D-4A0C-8976-529A235DC275 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    E384974C-531E-4199-A2A9-33FF85F01964_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    C8C0FE5F-DA8F-4063-85B2-61AD8DC65572 (resized).jpeg
    69DDF931-7FCA-414B-B85E-BFE3B5D216AA (resized).jpeg
    ss2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E1C8E34A-7F0A-4206-8833-FB5FC6216A73 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2022-08-09-10-13-34-671 (resized).jpg
    1710F97F-21A0-4B14-B410-C657B398FE4E (resized).jpeg
    Great fools copy (resized).JPG
    70F22F1C-989A-437A-AE7D-311889F8C03D (resized).jpeg
    F6DF1AD0-4792-445C-8A3B-39CEE797CDC4 (resized).jpeg

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you have people that take Tylenol for a hangover which is like so fucking bad; yikes.
    I try to keep it under a case a week. I just had to lose some Corvis weight so went a month or 2 without drinking, felt good.
    I also always try to go alcohol free every February sans Super Bowl.

Case as in 24 beers a week?

#252 1 year ago

I stopped drinking sometime in 2013-2014 when I was 35. I just thought..I drink to much..and should stop..and that was it..not even a drop since then..I've thought about some of the non alcoholic beers I see these days, but not sure if that would lead to anything else.

#253 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Case as in 24 beers a week?

Yeah. 18-24 depending on the number of days drinking.

#254 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds about right. Years ago my Dr. put me on a " I want you to take 2 drinks every day". My wife on 1 drink per day. Lite beers for me ..my wife seltzer/wine ,our choice.
    I wind up around a case a week because I like 2 to3 per day..(he is not approving 3)..and I do get labs every 6mo..textbook.
    I take a week off every so often.
    I love my Dr

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You might want to contact your physician and get a CBC blood test just to make sure all is in order....just to be safe.

#256 1 year ago

I've, thankfully, never had an addictive personality. Some people in my family do. I've stopped drinking completely a couple times and didn't really miss it, but I do enjoy a nice buzz. I maybe actually get drunk a few times a year, just hate the hangovers these days (late 30s). But, I probably have 2-3 a couple times a week. I'm neurotic and anxious by nature, a few beers cut that edge. So, does a valium, but can't do that all the time. So does small amounts of weed, but I hate getting "too high". So, a couple beers it is usually.

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

You might want to contact your physician.....

Yep I see doctors on the reg, appreciate it.

4 months later
    #258 1 year ago

I just passed 2 years of zero drinks. Feeling amazing!

#259 1 year ago

just made a vodka and orange juice to help getting through some of these. subject made me thirsty.

#260 1 year ago

I'm 23 and have never tried alcohol. My brother was, and my dad is a high-functioning alcoholic, and my mom has her own struggles with it. I don't know if I technically fall under the medical definition of an addictive personality, but if I for example eat junk food one day, I have the craving stronger the next day than if I were to go a week without junk food. All of this makes me never want to start drinking. I salute anyone who has quit drinking, but respect anyone's choice to drink

#261 1 year ago

I had a little bit a few weeks ago after dry a few months. Just can’t get into it anymore. Been sleeping so much better and hate the sluggish feeling. I like the taste of beer so will continue to sample the NA beers online.

#262 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I just passed 2 years of zero drinks. Feeling amazing!

Congrats man! 8/29/19 is my sober-versary
    2 years and counting.

#263 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

I'm 23 and have never tried alcohol. My brother was, and my dad is a high-functioning alcoholic, and my mom has her own struggles with it. I don't know if I technically fall under the medical definition of an addictive personality, but if I for example eat junk food one day, I have the craving stronger the next day than if I were to go a week without junk food. All of this makes me never want to start drinking. I salute anyone who has quit drinking, but respect anyone's choice to drink

You seem very aware, what a great thing. What you describe about junk food is exactly it. I heard on a tv show once a very apt description of being an alcoholic/addict: one character asks "what's wrong with one drink?" And the alcoholic replies "It's not that I want one drink - it's that I want ten drinks." So keep being aware !

#264 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Congrats man! 8/29/19 is my sober-versary
    2 years and counting.

Funny, that’s the exact date of my last drink, too!

#265 1 year ago

After my eight months dry last year, I'm leaning towards doing that again. We will see if I can pull it off.

#266 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

NA beers online

I keep a six pack of either becks na or st paulie girl na around for when i feel like having a beer.

I also keep a bottle of vodka and a six pack of bud around since i stopped drinking almost 8 years ago. Just in case i feel like having one. Havent yet.

#267 1 year ago

I just hit the 18 year mark.

#268 1 year ago

Hall of Fame pitcher Dennis Eckersly said he quit drinking after seeing video of himself while drunk.

I used to drink almost every day...a few beers when home alone and probably a dozen when I got together w buddies.

After 30 years I just got tired of it. Stopped around Christmas.

Watching my friends drink and deteriorate into rambling, story repeating, sloppy lushes was my wake up call.

I try not to be 'holier than tho' but now I find it difficult to be around drinkers.

Now I prefer to meet a friend for breakfast or lunch rather than beers after work.

#269 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

After my eight months dry last year, I'm leaning towards doing that again. We will see if I can pull it off.

I've got faith in you. You did it once, you can do it again.

#270 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

I've thought about some of the non alcoholic beers I see these days, but not sure if that would lead to anything else.

I went the non-alcoholic beer route for a little while, and it was funny - around my buddies, working on a car having a few beers, I would start to act silly as they were getting a little buzz, too. And once in a while I would grab a "real" beer out of the fridge after a few non-alcohlic ones, but if nothing else, it DID hold back on the "real" beer drinking.

#271 1 year ago

Haven't had a beer in 3-1/2 weeks. Just got tired of the depressed feeling when drinking. I've been drinking a mix of orange juice and Sprite now when I go out. Gave the 15 or so beers that were sitting in my beer fridge away to my in-laws and sold the beer fridge this past weekend.

#272 1 year ago

I started this thread and am still drinking. Just got done with summer and will now go dry atleast a month.

I used to have a lot stresses in life and would not be the best drunk and that was one of my major concerns.

Now I am in a much better place. I just basically turn into 12 year old when I drink, listening to party music and playing games.

I know it is not great for me but it is what it is at this point.

Congratulations too all of you that quit.

#273 1 year ago

I never really drank ever. For years amd years I was into fitness and physique competition, and anything fun I didn't put into my body. Only casually lift, now, but still never bothered drinking even to this day.

#274 1 year ago

Quiz: Do you know which pub this large sign is in? Hint, it's in the USA.

Great fools copy (resized).JPG
    #275 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorant:

I never really drank ever. For years amd years I was into fitness and physique competition, and anything fun I didn't put into my body. Only casually lift, now, but still never bothered drinking even to this day.

Ok fine but we are gonna need to see some pics of this physique. Just for research purposes.

You can keep the bag over your head!

#276 1 year ago

I've tried dozens of times to stop throughout the years.

I've never been a day drinker ever. My problem is when 5 o'clock hits, I start getting antsy. I'm much older now and only have a 2-3 hour window of drinking before I tap out.

I haven't drank in a couple of nights but am going to stream another live Dead & Company show at, you guessed it, 5, which is going to make it tough not to have an adult beverage or two.

#277 1 year ago

If I drink after work now im shoving food in my mouth by 7, sleepy by 8 and have a hangover by 9. It’s rough.

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok fine but we are gonna need to see some pics of this physique.

He's legit.

#279 1 year ago

I believe you !!!

#280 1 year ago

Yeah I stopped drinking 4 times in my adult life for an extended period of time. Never had a problem with with withdrawal feelings. Every time I stopped it was in Saudi Arabia for some reason. What a friggin partay it is over there. Complete grocery store isle filled with NA beer. Last time over, I learned that the well off men (who are allowed 4 wives) have an actual bar in their house. One of the catch phrases was "What happens in the desert, stays in the desert." Meaning, their Las Vegas is driving into the desert, with a blanket next to their car, at night, and who knows what goes on at that point.

#281 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I keep a six pack of either becks na or st paulie girl na around for when i feel like having a beer.
    I also keep a bottle of vodka and a six pack of bud around since i stopped drinking almost 8 years ago. Just in case i feel like having one. Havent yet.

That Bud probably wouldn't taste too good at this point

#282 1 year ago

Yes, it is a good thing they have the born on date on the cans.
    I freshen it up once a year and even that is probably not often enough.
    But that vodka is definately 8 years old. Probably like turpentine by now

#283 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

But that vodka is definately 8 years old. Probably like turpentine by now

If unopened should last longer than any of us

#284 1 year ago

My ex used to waitress at a place, I'd go in there and have a drink sometimes if I had to pick her up.
    One day I'm sitting there having a beer, looking at all the stuff on the back bar, and there's this wooden plaque with the letters "IITYWYBMAB".
    So I ask the barmaid, "Hey, what do those letters stand for?" And she says, "If I tell you, will you buy me a beer?" So I say "Sure, so what do they stand for?"
    And she repeats it....and then i laugh when the light bulb finally goes off....and buy her a beer......

11 months later
    #285 3 months ago

3 years sober duders

1710F97F-21A0-4B14-B410-C657B398FE4E (resized).jpeg
    #286 3 months ago

I used to drink 1 and 1/2 bottles of red wine a day and 6 to 10 beers a week. After a stroke at age 66 I was lucky to fully recover (stopped for 3 months) and now only have 2 drinks a day, either beer or wine. My neurologist said that alcohol is a carcinogenic and I should limit myself to one a day. I quit smoking long ago but I find this would be much harder. Favorite non alcohol drink when I want more is Becks zero.

#287 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinballJunkie:

I used to drink 1 and 1/2 bottles of red wine a day and 6 to 10 beers a week. After a stroke at age 66 I was lucky to fully recover (stopped for 3 months) and now only have 2 drinks a day, either beer or wine. My neurologist said that alcohol is a carcinogenic and I should limit myself to one a day. I quit smoking long ago but I find this would be much harder. Favorite non alcohol drink when I want more is Becks zero.

Brew Dog
    Athletic
    Well Being
    Those 3 breweries make amazing NA Beers if you are looking for something outside of the normal. Lots of IPA alternatives from all.
    The Sam Addams NA is great too if you are sticking to the mainstream stuff.

#288 3 months ago

Untitled Art is delicious too.

#289 3 months ago

It's funny there is a thread on here about this subject, because lately I've been thinking a lot about cutting down on drinking. I don't exactly plan to stop drinking forever but I've come to the point where I realized I need to decrease the amount I drink.

Within the last two years or so I've gotten to the point of drinking at least 2-3 beers on my days off. I work on average 4-6 12 hr shifts straight and then have about the same amount of days off. I don't drink at all during the stretch of days I work, I'm too busy sleeping. I usually feel great when I'm not drinking during those 4-6 days. When I drink it's not really about getting buzzed or drunk, I'm just really into craft beer and like the taste. It also helps me relax and wind down after killing myself working in a stressful environment for too many hours.

My weight is also starting to climb, despite being active and exercising. I know not all of it is due to drinking but the beer sure isn't helping. I know I can't just stop drinking cold turkey so I decided to check out some NA beers. My local Hy-Vee (grocery store for non Midwest people) surprisingly has a pretty decent selection of NA beers. I've picked these two up earlier this week. They both actually taste pretty decent for being non alcoholic, if I have one with a burger or pizza I really can't tell the difference. Interestingly I've found that one does a good job of satisfying the craving, and I have no desire for a second or third one.

So far it's been almost a week since I've had real beer and I don't drink more than one of these NA beers a day. It's also easier for me to make healthier food choices when I'm not drinking a beer...there's just something about having shitty food while your drinking.

Anyway, I haven't weight myself yet but I'm already feeling better and it's easier for me to stay motivated to workout and eat healthy.

IMG_2022-08-09-10-13-34-671 (resized).jpg
    #290 3 months ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

It's funny there is a thread on here about this subject, because lately I've been thinking a lot about cutting down on drinking. I don't exactly plan to stop drinking forever but I've come to the point where I realized I need to decrease the amount I drink.

Within the last two years or so I've gotten to the point of drinking at least 2-3 beers on my days off. I work on average 4-6 12 hr shifts straight and then have about the same amount of days off. I don't drink at all during the stretch of days I work, I'm too busy sleeping. I usually feel great when I'm not drinking during those 4-6 days. When I drink it's not really about getting buzzed or drunk, I'm just really into craft beer and like the taste. It also helps me relax and wind down after killing myself working in a stressful environment for too many hours.

That ain't mine, nor most's, definition of a drinking problem. But if you think it's too much, then it's too much. I've never smoked and I don't plan to. If I never had a beer, I wouldn't miss it and would probably be the better for it.

#291 3 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That ain't mine, nor most's, definition of a drinking problem. But if you think it's too much, then it's too much. I've never smoked and I don't plan to. If I never had a beer, I wouldn't miss it and would probably be the better for it.

I didn't say that I felt like I had a drinking problem, just that I wanted to cut back on the amount I drink. The 2-3 beers is my minimum when I'm at home...if I go out it's usually a bit more.

I agree with you that everyone has their own definition of what is healthy or not for them. For me personally, cutting back on beer is more to improve my health over all. I'm getting too fat, and I'm looking for any edge I can get to help me lose weight. Also, working in healthcare, I deal with far too many alcoholics on a daily basis who are literally killing themselves with alcohol; ruining not just their lives but everyone around them. Seeing that damage first hand has really started to make me seriously rethink drinking in general.

#292 3 months ago

I didn't say that I felt like I had a drinking problem, just that I wanted to cut back on the amount I drink. The 2-3 beers is my minimum when I'm at home...if I go out it's usually a bit more.

It's cool. I'm just kinda of the mindset that if you think you need to drink less, you got a problem cause it's hard to not do something you enjoy.

#293 3 months ago

My weight is also starting to climb, despite being active and exercising. I know not all of it is due to drinking but the beer sure isn't helping. I know I can't just stop drinking cold turkey so I decided to check out some NA beers. My local Hy-Vee (grocery store for non Midwest people) surprisingly has a pretty decent selection of NA beers. I've picked these two up earlier this week. They both actually taste pretty decent for being non alcoholic, if I have one with a burger or pizza I really can't tell the difference. Interestingly I've found that one does a good job of satisfying the craving, and I have no desire for a second or third one.
    So far it's been almost a week since I've had real beer and I don't drink more than one of these NA beers a day. It's also easier for me to make healthier food choices when I'm not drinking a beer...there's just something about having shitty food while your drinking.
    Anyway, I haven't weight myself yet but I'm already feeling better and it's easier for me to stay motivated to workout and eat healthy.
    [quoted image]

Yes! Last night I was at the bar shooting pool with a buddy and they have Free Wave. I drank probably 6 of them. Side note I drove home sober

#294 3 months ago

Here to ya gents!

E1C8E34A-7F0A-4206-8833-FB5FC6216A73 (resized).jpeg
    #295 3 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Yes! Last night I was at the bar shooting pool with a buddy and they have Free Wave. I drank probably 6 or them. Side note I drove home sober

I believe it! I've only had the free wave hazy IPA so far and it is tasty. I see the company has a bunch of different varieties I'll need to try. Paulaner makes a NA lemon radler; I like lemon shandy's so that one is next on my list to try.

#296 3 months ago

Stopped drinkin seven years ago and stopped Copenhagen 6 years ago. About a month ago I decided I wanted a beer. I’ve drank a few 6 packs since then on the weekends. Not even every weekend though. It’s nice to have control now and no hangovers because I don’t drink a 12 pack and a 5th in a night. (I had a problem lol)

#297 3 months ago

I think I'm going to go cold turkey again this fall (depending on work stresses)...Tried the alcohol free beers when I stopped for eight months, didn't see the point. If I'm drinking something that tastes like beer, I want an end result (buzz). I switched to Bubly flavored waters. I'm a Dbl, Triple IPA guy, so they were like a tease to me... I give everyone who stopped a lot of praise, it's not easy. Hope I can swing it again soon...

#298 3 months ago

Me and another member made a pact of sorts to "dry out" I asked for a caveat- a cheat day once a week for leagues. We agreed upon this and hopefully the buddy system can help me out! It's been tough to shake.

#299 3 months ago

All my props for you that are trying. It isn't easy....but once you get there you never look back.

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!