Weird LOTR issue

By Kkuoppamaki

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi

I played my LOTR yesterday and noticed that when I hit the ring to active a mode the POTD activates too. In other words I started collecting souls with every hit, even the bumpers did that. While the mode was on, things got a bit mixed up, I even saw 'press start' on the DMD sporadically. Other than that everything seems to be working, when hitting the tower to enter POTD it worked just fine.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this? I'm still new to pin repair so any advice is more than appreciated

Big thanks,
-K

#2 10 years ago

Sorry, never happened to me on my LOTR. And I'm also terrible / learning in the pin repair dept.

#3 10 years ago

That doesn't sound good at all. At first it sounded like a grounding issue, but if your display showed the "press start" display, you might check out your boards. Make sure those batteries didn't start leaking on the boards. You might also want to push down on all the chips, like ROM chips and what not to make sure they're making good connections.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks. After further study I found that one fuse (F27) was blown. This fuse is related to GI, funny it could cause that kind of behavior but at least based on a quick test game it seems that was it

#5 10 years ago

Can't see a GI fuse causing that, but I've been wrong before. If it happens again take note of where all the balls are when it happens: in trough, ball lock, etc. Sounds like a classic switch matrix problem.

#6 10 years ago

I agree bet the problem shows back up.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks, I hope it doesnt reappear but if it does any advice on where to start? If it's a classic switch matrix problem how to troubleshoot and fix that?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Thanks, I hope it doesnt reappear but if it does any advice on where to start? If it's a classic switch matrix problem how to troubleshoot and fix that?

If it crops up again, I would start with what LilRocky mentioned. Check the boards for battery acid and make sure the chips and connectors are pushed in firm.

#9 10 years ago

Until this problem reappear you could look into the build in switch test in the diagnostic menu. That can be a usefull tool when you have switch problems.

In the first part of your description it sounds like a switch activates only from the vibration in the game, but i am not sure it would make things get mixed up like showing 'press start' on the DMD sporadically.

I would look into the four switches (33,34,35,36) on the path of the death. Use the diagnostic tool to test if they work normally.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks

The switched on the POTD work normally, things only got mixed up when I hit the ring and a mode started.
I did do a few tests using the diagnostics menu, and the switched seemed to work fine.

Also, the batteries were ok and the board looks clean. No acid corrosion anywhere, and all the chips were pushed in firm.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-lotr-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.