20221204_171937 (resized).jpg
Vectorscan reset (resized).JPG
f701ce40482a40465ee8f88c8edb269ed66ba3ba (resized).jpg
IMG_20220112_233434631~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220122_103534807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220122_103407955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220122_103449767 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220122_103816060 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider berzerk_1980.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#190 2 years ago

Hi y’all, picked up a Vector (my first machine!) about two weeks ago. It’s in pretty decent survivor condition with the two front doors. There’s no bill validator in the left door, just a blank.

I’ve replaced the rubbers and all but one bulb (I didn’t know I needed 444s for the chase lights). Next is wax and new balls.

I had a couple questions for anyone who may know…

1. My posts around the thumper bumper have various sized spacers - one missing, one 7/16 and I can’t remember the other one. What are they supposed to be?

2. I need new locks. It looks like the left coin door uses a 1 1/8” lock with a straight cam, which is different from the right door which uses a 7/8” lock with an offset cam. The backbox uses 1 1/8. Sanity check?

3. In the three kickers in the upper right corner, the topmost one sticks (kicker stays extended) and the bottom one is too weak to launch the ball. Any ideas?

4. I know someone asked about this years ago, but does anyone have the middle plastic with the Addam’s Family for sale?

5. Favorite playfield angle?

6. Anything I can do for you? Need any pics? I’ve seen lots on here already that both look worse and better than mine so I didn’t see a reason…

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

A: The plastic piece has three supports.
---a; Two sets are metal post with plastic grey spacer on top.
---b: One piece a tall grey post for the backside of the cover plastic.
---c: In all, the top plastic pop cover piece should be flat and even when mounted correctly.

Thanks. I’m missing (b). Is (b) plastic, and do you know how long either (a) or (b) are? Mine are mismatched and I don't know which is correct.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

A: Please, post a picture of your game!

Here are some including the double coin door. I have more. I am new to pinball ownership but I think it’s a reasonably clean survivor.

388B604E-8128-45E9-9AE5-D89282F646ED (resized).jpeg388B604E-8128-45E9-9AE5-D89282F646ED (resized).jpeg43CDA70C-7414-4CF9-AE17-0004026A9A2B (resized).jpeg43CDA70C-7414-4CF9-AE17-0004026A9A2B (resized).jpeg54A38002-86C0-459A-A470-3C61A7D1C13F (resized).jpeg54A38002-86C0-459A-A470-3C61A7D1C13F (resized).jpegD0E576C5-7F80-4C28-A5F6-9E337E7F8DA0 (resized).jpegD0E576C5-7F80-4C28-A5F6-9E337E7F8DA0 (resized).jpeg
#197 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I hope this helps...
[quoted image]

That is excellent. Thanks. I recently replaced all my rubber and tried playing tonight. The ball got stuck here. Any opinions? Maybe because I have the wrong post? Shallow playfield angle?

86AC8268-982B-4181-A278-2755D8E5BA1F (resized).jpeg86AC8268-982B-4181-A278-2755D8E5BA1F (resized).jpeg
#199 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The flat ball guide rail wall [ #A-3032-102 ] should fit up to the half way point on the rubber ring.
The ball should roll down the ramp at that point...
Note: your Vector is in really good shape.
Fix Notes:
1) Upper right screw should be on the other side of the plastic... (next to the 2-way saucer).
2) Z,W,X, target uses two rubber rings.
-- 2a, You still have the #555 lamp shade sleeves that are behind the X,Y,Z, targets...
--- Major Awesome!!!! The sad part is that they get destroyed from ball hits.
--- I would remove them and paint the #555 lamps blue...
--- Side Note: Many years ago a used a router to re-cut the lamp sockets to sit
--- farther back from the X,Y,Z, drop targets.
3) double also the 1" rubber rings on the mini flippers; the front tips break from ball hits.
Over all really nice game... Thanks for posting the pictures of your Bally Vector.

Ok, went to take a look.

0) The rail guide does not look damaged or moved, and the post has not moved, so I’m not sure what to do except maybe get thinner rubber for that post. This isn’t the one that’s supposed to be the tall gray post is it?
AFD29CD3-D042-41AF-9990-B791BEFDCA20 (resized).jpegAFD29CD3-D042-41AF-9990-B791BEFDCA20 (resized).jpeg
1) OK, but then why is there a hole in the plastic? Screw should go through it or it should use a post and rubber nut, no? Or am I looking at the correct screw? Even though I’m confused, good news. I found my missing spacer behind the adjacent plastic! Are we talking about the same screw (circled in red, second photo)?
913704D2-7F06-4F2F-A6E7-B04943BE5716 (resized).jpeg913704D2-7F06-4F2F-A6E7-B04943BE5716 (resized).jpeg
BC730F35-4807-44A2-9CC3-53D38A914931 (resized).jpegBC730F35-4807-44A2-9CC3-53D38A914931 (resized).jpeg
2. I added the second ring on the XYZ bank. Looks right? Good idea about the colored lamps. But I think I’ll get red to replace the color they were behind the shades and put the shades away for safekeeping.
95B03B09-E7E0-4B8F-BB9D-569E7B4C9E5E (resized).jpeg95B03B09-E7E0-4B8F-BB9D-569E7B4C9E5E (resized).jpeg
3. I will order more of the 1” rings. I only bought a single kit.

#207 2 years ago

Thanks @vec-tor, nice clear pics. I will work on those tonight. I was looking at the wrong fastener, but I thought it was funny that when I went to look at what you were talking about, I found the spacer that I thought I was missing.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Also, check out the home ROM software.

This seems, uh, pretty intense for a neophyte. Is it easier than it looks?

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Interestignly, the original manual did not show 2x rubbers behind XYZ, however, the rubber chart that came with my machine did show that 2x.

Yeah, it's not in the owner's manual or the parts manual. But it does explain why the parts manual says you need qty 4 2" rubber rings for the game. Now if I could just explain the 1-1/2" that came with my kit. It's in the parts manual with no source or qty.

Quoted from koji:

I was wondering what people think of the Shoot again switch setting? Personally, I love it, as it gives the game such a great feeling of a sport, where that extra hard/fast shot is rewarded right away. I noticed that the default / recommendation is to have this off, so figured I'd see if there are other considerations. With my current set up, it is quite difficult to achieve this, but when you do.. it feels 'right'.

I haven't tried this, but you're really selling it. I should give it a whirl.

Quoted from koji:

Overall, I think I have my game playing well, but one issue I have noted is that on occasion, the vector scan shot will sometimes skip through the lock area, and loop right out the gate. I was wondering if this is a typical thing to happen on occasion?

Are you saying it skips over all three saucers? There is no way I can hit that shot hard enough to do that. But, I'm still trying to dial in my game -- I'm fighting a little bit with playfield angle and the power of that right flipper.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

You can buy the new ROMs online and install them in the MPU. Or, if you know someone, they can burn you a new set from the IPDB.org site.
Check this out for general service on your machine and making sure your boards and connectors are all good to go: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

Thanks for the link.

Oh, that was another thing, having to jumper the main board in order to install new ROMs. I am a little hesitant to modify original hardware in good shape just to run the home ROM. I considered getting the Weebly board with the home ROM selectable by DIP switch, what do you think of that?

#213 2 years ago

Ok, so I got the little stuff done that vec-tor recommended. Now I'm working on the double sided saucer. First, does anyone have a good reference for me on how to clean and adjust the saucer? It's doing two things:

1. Not retracting after kicking the ball out
2. Kicking the ball through the gate incorrectly, such that it bounces back into the saucer (could be the gate or a post as well).

Note that when the ball falls back into the saucer, it seems to kick with less force and make it out of the gate. Kicker still sticks though.

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Top gate wire form on Vector is in the [ c; back position ]

Thanks. I did notice the three positions and left it in the position it was when I got it.

Back position means to the right side of the machine, correct? Like the gate entry side?

Is the wire supposed to be parallel with the bracket? Mine appears to have gotten present at some time in the past.

Curious, are things like this (gate position) published anywhere? Didn't see it in the owner's or parts manuals.

#223 2 years ago

Okay… got the gate fixed. It was a combination of the wrong hole plus a bad bend in the gate wire. I did a sloppy job bending the wire, still need the correct tools for that, but it's well-behaved enough to continue. Now I have discovered that the lowest saucer on the top right ("captive saucer, bottom") is activating, but is too weak to eject the ball to start multiball, and the three balls just pile up on that saucer. I checked and resoldered the connections to the coil (admittedly I am not a skilled solderer), but it did not make a difference.

What's my next step? Coils either work or don't, right? So am I looking at rebuilding the mechanical parts, troubleshooting the board, or am I wrong and I should replace the coil next?

PS, it took my nephew and I about an hour to figure out the secret combination of removing and replacing the gate wire. Whoever designed that was a diabolical genius.

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

No, not the 3 saucers.. what happens is that the ball goes around vector scan, comes out the gate and rather than landing in the first saucer, it just rolls all the around and out the exit gate.

Not having this problem yet. Maybe some pics/vids?

1 week later
#226 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Try manually ejecting the ball.
Can you do it, or does it still hang up?
Does the entire length of plunger travel move smoothly, or does it start to resist 1/2 way through?
Is the sleeve dirty?
Is the coil stop loose?

It did have resistance. Coil stop was fine which is good because I couldn't find a replacement. Sleeve was dirty, replacing it didn't fix it. Armature was slightly bent, tweaked it dead straight, and removed some traces of dried grease with diluted Purple Power and a toothbrush. It is now functional but not 100% smooth. I think there's still gunk I can't get to. Should I drive out the roll pin to disassemble it completely, or is there a simpler way to clean it thoroughly?

1 week later
#228 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I put those mechs in the ultrasonic and 85% of the time they come out spotlessly clean
make sure the plunger tip is not mushroomed in any way, if it is, file it smooth
use 1/10 of a drop of oil on the metal to metal pivots

Got myself an ultrasonic cleaner. What solvent do you use, how long, and which oil to re-lube it with? I have a precision oiler around here somewhere. Or just leave it dry?

Should I do every mech in the machine or just the two that are sticky?

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Anyway, I was kind of wondering if others play at a steeper pitch and just get used to the outlane saves, and make it happen.. or if in general, running this game less steep, just generally works a bit better (kind of what I'm finding personally).

As a new owner, I've been wondering the same thing. My playfield is set at 4.5*, which is about the steepest I could physically adjust it to and still be level in my garage. It still seems a little floaty, but also seems well-matched to the power of the flippers and making the vectorscan shot. I have not done any flipper maintenance to see if the machine is capable of more speed. I'd love to hear a few others' takes on it.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I usually use Simple Green to get all the sticky oil film off them
I lube any metal to metal contacts with Super Lube teflon that comes in the toothpaste tube.
If you have a precision oiler, then I'd fill it with Zoom Spout oil - that stuff works on spinners too.
(make sure you check that all the mechanicals are still good. Plungers still the right lengths, coil stops still tall enough, new sleeves......)

Done. Went with Zoom spout oil. I found that the spring washer on the plunger end of the coil needed a lot of adjustment to keep the assembly from binding. Is this common?

#233 2 years ago

My newest problem is a drop target switch that won't register. I removed the drop target assembly for inspection (mechanically only) and found that the diode connection had broken.

I had to physically hold the assembly with one hand to inspect it. I can't figure out how to physically support the assembly in the game in such a way that I can access the switch and make the repair because the other drop target bank is in the way. This seems like it would be a problem peculiar to Vector. Any ideas?

01690652-88F7-4F24-A666-6E061D7BAD56 (resized).jpeg01690652-88F7-4F24-A666-6E061D7BAD56 (resized).jpegE1E64C53-77CD-4FB2-A86A-720635AAE566 (resized).jpegE1E64C53-77CD-4FB2-A86A-720635AAE566 (resized).jpeg
9 months later
#245 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys, I have just bought a Vector and am very excited. I'll pick it up next month and will post pictures then. Looking forward to reading through this Vector Club forum.

Where are our pics?!?

3 months later
#263 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's factory flipper angle is purposefully low, so there is less cradling and more action

I didn’t know this! Now I can stop trying to fix it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider berzerk_1980.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vector-owners-club-fans-also-welcome?tu=berzerk_1980 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.