View topic image gallery

Dark_Side_of_Oz_Listening_Party4p6Deta.png
WOZ_Apron.jpg
172.jpg
177.jpg
171.jpg
170.jpg
175.jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from marvdom:

Point of fact the sony playstation 3 lost money, but now sony monopolized the market.

I guess you've never heard of "Xbox 360"?

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

What makes it different than any other pin animation? The fact that it is video instead of orange dots? I think it is going to be interesting for a long time.

In Hi-res video, no less! Very cool!

#103 11 years ago

LCD screen looks great! it's nice seeing pinball move away from DMD, to bad x-men will have a DMD.......... all pinball should be moving towards LCD.

#104 11 years ago

Love the apron. Hope JJP does not listen to armchair designers. Last time a manufacturer did that, I ended up with a flaming Ironman head in my ACDC pin.

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I think the unlicensed theme will be JJP #3, after The Hobbit. Is that correct?

We can hope.

My spirits dropped when I heard they'd picked up a tedious epic movie license for #2. You just know it'll have an awful overblown orchestral score and 20,000 quotes from the film. If I sat down and concentrated on it, I couldn't be less interested in Hobbit. It's made all the more depressing by the fact that the build quality as far as I can tell, is going to be excellent. I'd love the opportunity to buy a really solid machine built like they used to, but I'm not in JJPs target market right now.

This is why projects like Captain Nemo get me so excited.

I'd still sell my grandmother for a Disney Alice In Wonderland (animated) machine though

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

absocountry2 said:BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
What makes it different than any other pin animation? The fact that it is video instead of orange dots? I think it is going to be interesting for a long time.
That fact that WOZ is a very annoying movie to some, and seeing movie clips over and over again can wear on you

And you would assume that these people would not be buying one so point is moot. The theme is The Wizard of Oz, if people can't get past that they can't get past it. Crapping on a pin no one has played because you don't like the theme is assanine.

Anyone that bought a pn AC/DC pin bitching about all the AC/DC music? No, because they assumed by the title and art and everything else that it was a pin about AC/DC. I know this seems infantile but so does bitching about WOZ being about the movie it is based on.

I need a drink.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#108 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

PinCrush said:Love the apron. Hope JJP does not listen to armchair designers. Last time a manufacturer did that, I ended up with a flaming Ironman head in my ACDC pin.
That was nothing to do with the reactions to the Pro AFAIK. It was always going to be like that. The only difference was there might have been a transparent Angus face over the glass.

I heard different. The inserts certainly imply it was originally Angus. I always though the Angus face was cool. IMO, it's hard to evaluate these things out of context and I hope the design team sticks to their guns.

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I challenge anybody who says they do not like the apron to do the same and then look at the WOZ apron again.

I'd gladly take my backlit Tron:LE apron over a piece of wood with chicken scratches all over it.

I like everything about the WOZ apron except for the ham-fisted inclusion of the signatures. Takes it from great to lame IMO. I understand the team is proud of their work (and they should be), but this is not the way to demonstrate it.

Like somebody else said... If I want it signed, I'll take it to a show and have them sign it for me.

Just the 2 cents of someone looking forward to the arrival of his WOZ:ECLE.

#111 11 years ago

Between JJP on there glass, the signatures all over there apron, and the over the top logo animations, JJPs humble beginnings are anything but. Reel it in a little. At least until the game is a massive hit.

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I like everything about the WOZ apron except for the ham-fisted inclusion of the signatures. Takes it from great to lame IMO. I understand the team is proud of their work (and they should be), but this is not to way to demonstrate it.

I'm with you Jar...don't like it but i think the game will make up for it.....I also don't like the JJP animation, just stick with the game......as for the logo on the Invisiglass, I actually liked that...

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm with you Jar...don't like it but i think the game will make up for it.....I also don't like the JJP animation, just stick with the game......as for the logo on the Invisiglass, I actually liked that...

I like the animation, although I agree that it doesn't go with the theme very well (especially the guitar riff). If it were my call to make, I'd take a cue from the movie industry and tailor the company logo reveal into the theme. Something like this already exists for the Warner Bros. logo and The Wizard of Oz. Maybe Warner Bros. wouldn't go for it, but it would be worth a shot.

Watch the first few seconds of the below video and replace the Warner Bros. logo with the JJP logo for an idea of what I'm talking about. I'd have it go from sepia to color too, but you get the idea.

This could be kind of fun if they altered it for each pin they make to fit with whatever the theme is. Would add to the uniqueness of each pin.

#114 11 years ago

I can't wait until this game is released so we can stop talking about it and start playing it.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

If it were my call to make, I'd take a cue from the movie industry and tailor the company logo reveal into the theme.

That integration would look great....I'm all for that kind of tie in...I'm just so ready to get rolling on the WOZ..my kids are too

#116 11 years ago

The wood apron with sigs is the LE plaque. The apron on the game will be metal, per Jack.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

The wood apron with sigs is the LE plaque. The apron on the game will be metal, per Jack.

Excellent news. And there was much rejoicing!

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm just so ready to get rolling on the WOZ..my kids are too

A friend of mine is involved in a key part of the manufacturing process. Let's just say he's been putting in a lot of hours churning out materials lately. We'll have our machines when Jack says we will have them.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

I just read that. He referred to it as an "apron topper". Remove it and you have a regular apron. Awesome idea.

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

A friend of mine is involved in a key part of the manufacturing process. Let's just say he's been putting in a lot of hours churning out materials lately. We'll have our machines when Jack says we will have them.

You talking about Matt from Back Alley.....Jack himself says they will start turning out in July!

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You talking about Matt from Back Alley.....Jack himself says they will start turning out in July!

Nope. Different guy. But I'm sure Matt's burning the midnight oil as well!

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Looks like the wooden apron will be keeping the signatures gauging from Jack's reaction. I don't blame him to be fair. His suggestion to remove the wooden topper and just have the metal one underneath is missing the point really though. The point is that the topper would look a lot nicer without simulated scrawl all over it. I'll definately be keeping mine on, unless that metal apron is something special. I'm assuming the non LEs will come with no 'topper' then...?

I'm curious to see what is on the metal apron. As long as it looks good, I'd say odds are that the wooden apron will go on the wall. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in person though. Nice that we have an option though.

I find it funny that Jack said "This reminds me of the Invisiglass logo!" Of course he changed course due to the outcry over that one. In this case the team seems to have pre-empted that by having the option of removing the wooden apron.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I'll reserve judgment until I see it in person though.

+1...
It would be nice to have the emerald green carry over to the metal apron. Maybe with a JJP or WoO laser-cut backlit emblem?

#124 11 years ago

If the wooden part is a topper for the apron that can be displayed elsewhere, that would likely mean that the metal apron under the wooden topper would also at least have decals for the decoration and color scheme but probably not signatures. That sounds good to me and the signatures would be fine also, especially since the wooden apron topper could instead be used as a wall decoration that contains the pin number of 1000.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

chocky909 said

I find it funny that Jack said "This reminds me of the Invisiglass logo!" Of course he changed course due to the outcry over that one. In this case the team seems to have pre-empted that by having the option of removing the wooden apron.

Maybe, but I have a feeling that this was the plan from the start, a special way to commemorate this first release, a collector plaque that also has a practical purpose, very clever if you ask me!!

Dale

#126 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

a collector plaque that also has a practical purpose

A key-holder for all your other games?

#128 11 years ago

About the logo clip: It always strikes me as strange that so many advertisers use heavy metal music for commercials and promos like this. It's very clear that metal isn't even close to the most popular type of music, yet it continues to show up in highlight reels, commercials and other main stream media.

Don't mistake my couriosity as pointing out something that I see as wrong. I love the metal (horns in the air). I just don't understand why so many people would think it's cool when used for something like this, but would rather blow their brains out than hear 3 minuites of it in a song?

PS: Things are looking to be shaping up. I saw someone mention white inserts and the use of LEDs. I had never thought of it before but having all white (or even better...clear) inserts would be a very good thing in my opinion. You could ship the game with the suggested colored bulbs, but it would make the game much more customizable for the buyer if they could put any color they want, where they want...and that seems like a good thing to me. I know some folks don't care for LEDs, but I would guess that most of these folks have either had bad experiances with old LED bulbs, or they just don't like them in GI locations.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

PS: Things are looking to be shaping up. I saw someone mention white inserts and the use of LEDs. I had never thought of it before but having all white (or even better...clear) inserts would be a very good thing in my opinion. You could ship the game with the suggested colored bulbs, but it would make the game much more customizable for the buyer if they could put any color they want, where they want...and that seems like a good thing to me. I know some folks don't care for LEDs, but I would guess that most of these folks have either had bad experiances with old LED bulbs, or they just don't like them in GI locations.

Hasn't been confirmed yet, but the clear/white inserts may be for controlled/multicolored LED's, which would open up a whole world of possibilities!!

Dale

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

DugFreez said:
Hasn't been confirmed yet, but the clear/white inserts may be for controlled/multicolored LED's, which would open up a whole world of possibilities!!
Dale

I was just asking about this on an AC/DC thread.....is there even such a thing as a controllable color changing LED? Meaning a bulb that can be a different color...whenever it is told to be a certain color. I have never seen or heard of one. I would think it would take, not only a certain kind of bulb, but also a different type of socket, controller board and wiring.

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

dgpinball said:DugFreez said:
Dale
I was just asking about this on an AC/DC thread.....is there even such a thing as a controllable color changing LED? Meaning a bulb that can be a different color...whenever it is told to be a certain color. I have never seen or heard of one. I would think it would take, not only a certain kind of bulb, but also a different type of socket, controller board and wiring.

I spoke to Jack about 9 months ago re LED's and way back then it was all LED's with special color changing type that I cannot remember what they are called.

#132 11 years ago

Jack implied on the WOZ newsgroup that there will be colored LEDs and some color changing LED's (I think he said about 12).

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

The white scribbles, however, are terrible. Just a poor art choice. The doesn't serve the artisitc look of the machine and the sigs should be removed. I'll bring my apron to a show if I want it signed, thanks anyway. The look of it is ruined with the sigs, not to mention it makes it feel like one of those corny collector items with the fake printed sigs. There's just nothing redeeming about the white scribble signatures, it's only distracting.

I must say I agree with this. Signatures are fun if they are unique and if you are there to see your stuff being signed but this is kind of lame, having it pre-printed on the apron.

Having said that, I will take WOZ as it comes and I suspect it will be pretty darn cool!

#134 11 years ago

I will take WOZ as it comes and I suspect it will be pretty darn cool!

Totally agree.

#135 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

mechslave said:

The white scribbles, however, are terrible. Just a poor art choice. The doesn't serve the artisitc look of the machine and the sigs should be removed. I'll bring my apron to a show if I want it signed, thanks anyway. The look of it is ruined with the sigs, not to mention it makes it feel like one of those corny collector items with the fake printed sigs. There's just nothing redeeming about the white scribble signatures, it's only distracting.
I must say I agree with this. Signatures are fun if they are unique and if you are there to see your stuff being signed but this is kind of lame, having it pre-printed on the apron.
Having said that, I will take WOZ as it comes and I suspect it will be pretty darn cool!

It is a removable apron topper. There is a traditional metal apron underneath. The topper can be used as a wall plaque.

#136 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

BMore-Pinball said:absocountry2 said:BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
That fact that WOZ is a very annoying movie to some, and seeing movie clips over and over again can wear on you
And you would assume that these people would not be buying one so point is moot. The theme is The Wizard of Oz, if people can't get past that they can't get past it. Crapping on a pin no one has played because you don't like the theme is assanine.
Anyone that bought a pn AC/DC pin bitching about all the AC/DC music? No, because they assumed by the title and art and everything else that it was a pin about AC/DC. I know this seems infantile but so does bitching about WOZ being about the movie it is based on.
I need a drink.

Was not "crapping" on the pin, just making a comment based on the released animation. I actually expect the game play to be very good & I am looking forward to playing it. Just thinking if I owned it at home, how annoying it may become. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change when I see it in person, but until then I am making assumptions and guesses like everybody else.

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

.is there even such a thing as a controllable color changing LED?

There sure is. They even sell them at Ikea in strips:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

They are out there but need a specific controller. That is how they make the color changes on the TZ display. If a pin is designed to have them from the start, there is no end to the possibilities, and it will look right because they can dim them as well.

#140 11 years ago

You can keep the block of wood and take it to the shows, to pokemon on all those signatures, 'catch em' all', the people who signed and make them sign identically over thier own signature in silver sharpie.

If they slop and color outside of the lines, you scold them and make them stand in the corner.

Personally, I got no problems with the signature wood, I just wanna play the thing, and know how long it takes to get to a wizard mode.

#141 11 years ago

TaylorVA said:BMore-Pinball said:absocountry2 said:BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
I need a drink.
Was not "crapping" on the pin, just making a comment based on the released animation. I actually expect the game play to be very good & I am looking forward to playing it. Just thinking if I owned it at home, how annoying it may become. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change when I see it in person, but until then I am making assumptions and guesses like everybody else.

TaylorVA said:BMore-Pinball said:absocountry2 said:BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
I need a drink.

Well your assumption seems to be negative(crapping on) and the rest of your statement supports my comments of waiting to play it before judging it.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

robin said:
This is pretty much where I am at. I know we've been told it's removable too but until I see what is underneath I'll hold my judgement. Personally, I'm not particularly excited about mounting a piece of wood on my wall. Especially one covered in fake autographs. So unless the underneath is spectacular, the wooden apron will be staying put and those scribbles will gnaw away at my VERY SOUL every time I play it. ; )

Dude, this thing is a cap on the apron..if you dont like it toss it on ebay or in the trash, it was not promised and is a bonus so whats the harm? We just have not seen the apron yet as we have not seen other items. If you dont want to put a block of wood on the wall, make a color copy of it and frame that.

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

chocky909 said:robin said:
This is pretty much where I am at. I know we've been told it's removable too but until I see what is underneath I'll hold my judgement. Personally, I'm not particularly excited about mounting a piece of wood on my wall. Especially one covered in fake autographs. So unless the underneath is spectacular, the wooden apron will be staying put and those scribbles will gnaw away at my VERY SOUL every time I play it. ; )

Dude, this thing is a cap on the apron..if you dont like it toss it on ebay or in the trash, it was not promised and is a bonus so whats the harm? We just have not seen the apron yet as we have not seen other items. If you dont want to put a block of wood on the wall, make a color copy of it and frame that.

He did have a wink at the end if his post. Hoping that he meant it as a reference to his post.

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

DugFreez said:.is there even such a thing as a controllable color changing LED?
There sure is. They even sell them at Ikea in strips:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

Those strips do not contain color changing LEDs. They contain red, green, and blue LEDs that can be controlled as to which ones light at a time to give the desired color. I do not know of any color changing LEDs but if a vendor such as stern uses boards with LEDs for inserts rather than coin taker bulbs, they could simply put three different LEDs on each board.

#147 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I do not know of any color changing LEDs

check this out -

#148 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

markmon said:I do not know of any color changing LEDs
check this out -» YouTube video

I guess cointaker makes color changing bulbs, too. But they're not CPU controlled. I guess you've shown it's not impossible though.

#149 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

markmon said:I do not know of any color changing LEDs
check this out -» YouTube video

But could you put a row of bulbs in a machine and have each bulb light a different color when the programing called for it? If you could do that....wouldn't each bulb needed to be wired individually instead of using a lamp matrix?

I'm not say that NASA couldn't make a bulb (or set of bulbs to do this)...I'm just guessing it's not going to happen in a pinball machine.....for a long time.

#150 11 years ago

Do not worry about the LEDs in JJP games! They will be great even to LED haters like me!

Here is the deal. The "color changing" LEDs in ACDC Premium and LE and I assume JJP games are actually three LEDs; one red, one blue and one green. Each of these LEDs can be set to 100 brightness levels. When combined together they can kind of produce any color.

Whether they are color changing or single color, the new-school LEDs are individually controlled by the CPU using a serial bus similar to one that might be in a car. For this reason, the old fashioned lamp matrix and GI circuits are not used any more.

People who get headaches from LEDs in pins (like me) will not be bothered by the LEDs in WOZ or ACDC. The reason being that the game's electronic circuits are designed now for LEDs in the first place. The LEDs are fed with nice clean power so they don't flicker and/or strobe. They can also be individually set for brightness, so each insert or location of a GI LED will be able to be set to just the right level by the programmer. The lighting effect possibilities are endless using this new system. You could even simulate real bulbs by turning the LEDs on and off gradually rather than instantly. Also, the LEDs are surface mounted and will last a lifetime because there is no socket and they will be very resistant to shock and vibration in a pin.

In stark contrast the LEDs that people are currently putting into the games prior to the new Stern LEs and JJPs are basically a square peg in a round hole. The GI circuits are AC power, therefore the LEDs strobe because they are able to react so much faster than a filament in a lamp. Similarly the lamp matrix is a pulsed voltage which causes flickering in LEDs that is not present in a real lamp bulb. Both of these effects cause headaches in people like me. The other problem is aftermarket LEDs have to be mix and matched to get the right brightness. Not to mention that the instant on/off of LEDs ruins the attract mode. Did I mention that I am an LED hater?

Anyway I hope this helps clear up a few questions in this thread.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-from-jjp-on-woz/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.