View topic image gallery

Dark_Side_of_Oz_Listening_Party4p6Deta.png
WOZ_Apron.jpg
172.jpg
177.jpg
171.jpg
170.jpg
175.jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 11 years ago

The LCD is there to help you progress through the game. The rules will be very deep and you will need to know were you are in the game. The LCD will be there to help you.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine.

There is no 1950's footage, the movie is from the 30's. It was released August 25, 1939. You are wrong. I also wonder what you expected to see in the WOZ pin?

Edit: Sorry to duplicate the date, Jim already posted that and I missed it.

#53 11 years ago

I think it's looking great. I'm ready!

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's also for the people watching from the sidelines, passer-bys, friends/family etc.

Jack has said there needs to be changes if we expect pinball to survive. The ability for others to see progress is something he expects to help with that.

#55 11 years ago

I think the Toto clip is a great demonstration of how film clips will integrate into the game. You have to remember that it will be accompanied by sound effects, lights and most importantly you'll be playing pinball all at the same time. It also seems that the screen will divide into sections so that we have multiple animations and features displayed simultaneously.

I especially like how the whole screen flashes as the time runs out which is very important as the player will be too busy trying to plant the shot to watch the level of the hourglass but can see the flash with their peripheral vision. Little touches like this give me confidence that the game mechanics will be cleverly designed to complement the player's experience and not distract.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TaylorVA said:I too don't quite get what you were expecting for a game based on a '30s movie. Cold feet?
Hellooooo......it's certainly gonna be about WOZ so if you don't like the theme the beauty is you can sell your pre-order and make a few bucks....

In 3 weeks I'll be able to play the game for myself. If I want out, why would I be able to get a few bucks more for my preorder?

Quoted from absocountry2:

markmon said:I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine.

There is no 1950's footage, the movie is from the 30's. It was released August 25, 1939. You are wrong. I also wonder what you expected to see in the WOZ pin?

Quite simply, I expected a modernized 2012 pinball machine using all the colors and vibrancy of today's technology following the wizard of oz theme. Not some 1930's crap.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

markmon said:This update was certainly disappointing. Not only is it just another "almost nothing" update designed to do nothing but generate more hype, but it also was disappointing. I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine. The jjp animated logo is amazing. Why can't it all be like that? I'd like the next update to be that my machine has shipped or a full video of the game playing.
I'll take hi-rez sepia over crude 16 levels of orange at 8 dpi resolution any day! Seriously.

So then, since you'll be clearing out your DMD pins pronto since this is clearly the way things are going, I think you, and everyone you know, should sell them to pennies on the dollar while you can. Pretty soon they'll just be firewood with their outdated graphics and stuff. Clearly.

#58 11 years ago

Very classy Apron. Love the wood. Numbered plaque goes in lower left corner.

WOZ_Apron.jpgWOZ_Apron.jpg

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Quite simply, I expected a modernized 2012 pinball machine using all the colors and vibrancy of today's technology following the wizard of oz theme. Not some 1930's crap.

Well....that's your problem then...and if you paid 6500 for the LE I'm sure you can unload it for more right now....

#60 11 years ago

Interaction is the KEY!!!!! And this game appears to have it.. FINALLY

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

iceman44 said:TaylorVA said:I too don't quite get what you were expecting for a game based on a '30s movie. Cold feet?
Hellooooo......it's certainly gonna be about WOZ so if you don't like the theme the beauty is you can sell your pre-order and make a few bucks....
In 3 weeks I'll be able to play the game for myself. If I want out, why would I be able to get a few bucks more for my preorder?
absocountry2 said:markmon said:I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine.

Don't even know what to say. The game is based on a 1930s movie that used black and white film through a part of the movie, seems perfectly befitting that there would be some b/w in the video clips.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#63 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

But why did you expect that? Where did you get that idea from? It was made very clear from the beginning that this was going to be based on the movie from the 1930's!

As someone who seems to agree with you about 90% of the time it seems, I'm very surprised that you are....well.....surprised!

#64 11 years ago

Yeah, while I love giving the team their due, I'd prefer the art from the game to spill onto the apron. Use it as a part of the whole, not an odd aside. Either way, I trust JJP.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

markmon said:Quite simply, I expected a modernized 2012 pinball machine using all the colors and vibrancy of today's technology following the wizard of oz theme. Not some 1930's crap.
But why did you expect that? Where did you get that idea from? It was made very clear from the beginning that this was going to be based on the movie from the 1930's!
As someone who seems to agree with you about 90% of the time it seems, I'm very surprised that you are....well.....surprised!

Clearly it's my mistake for not paying enough attention. I'd probably have preordered anyway. But the other clips we've seen have all been very good. The jjp animated logo is amazing. I liked the way multiball was integrated with balls busting down the door. But this footage was a real bummer for me.

But this doesn't change the fact that the jjp emailer updates we are getting aren't very exciting. At this point, showing me an apron isn't going to satisfy. I want to see game play, playfield layout, etc. If a real pin is due at the Seattle show in 3 weeks then we should be getting more than an apron and 30's b&w movie clips. If we don't want to give more away, then I say hold off and don't give any more updates at all.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Very classy Apron

Gotta agree with how the apron looks - fantastic-I guess I don't focus on each little piece of the machine and analyze it.Signatures on the apron,ok-Old film clips,alright by me.
I just get the feeling that as Jack said at the seminar here in Denver a few weeks ago that this machine has been so well thought out and scrutinized by him and the JJP crew that it will be stunning and functional beyond anything we have come to expect as acceptable.
This is going to be the JJP flagship pin and it is starting to look like it-top notch.
I"m sure I am known as a JJP fanboy,but so be it.
I have Stern and Williams favorites also but WOZ is on the radar screen right now.
I believe as well that us with an ECLEWOZ on order are probably getting a product with a bill of materials somewhere north of 10 grand-if not that,then rapidly approaching that.
Everybody have a good week and I hope you said Happy Mothers Day to your Mom today.
Kirk in Colorado

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

And really? A tilt warning for giving my honest opinion of this update as a fully paid owner of the game? Wtf is the matter with you people. It's either "oh yea the game is great and jack is a king" or a tilt warning? Geez.

Definitely B.S. giving markmon tilt warnings here! Let the guy express his opinion...

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Tommi_Gunn said:chocky909 said:I'm hoping they'll all be skippable with a quick double tap.
I hope so. I like options because, I can see it getting old quick. I don't want to sit through it everytime.
It's a timed event. Likely you won't be looking at the screen. You will be trying to hit a shoot. It's not like CV when you lock a ball and you see a DMD animation for 30 minutes. lol

There are versions of software for CV that you can skip that Home ROM v10 I believe.

I also hope that you can skip the animations by choice. The timed events I do not think will matter it is just a different type of music and call outs. The animations are for spectators IMO.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

RobT said:markmon said:Quite simply, I expected a modernized 2012 pinball machine using all the colors and vibrancy of today's technology following the wizard of oz theme. Not some 1930's crap.
Clearly it's my mistake for not paying enough attention. I'd probably have preordered anyway. But the other clips we've seen have all been very good. The jjp animated logo is amazing. I liked the way multiball was integrated with balls busting down the door. But this footage was a real bummer for me.
But this doesn't change the fact that the jjp emailer updates we are getting aren't very exciting. At this point, showing me an apron isn't going to satisfy. I want to see game play, playfield layout, etc. If a real pin is due at the Seattle show in 3 weeks then we should be getting more than an apron and 30's b&w movie clips. If we don't want to give more away, then I say hold off and don't give any more updates at all.

I don't have a WoZ on order, but I've been following the progress from day 1 (literally), and as far as updates go, I thought this one was just fine. The apron is different in that it is made of wood, and it looks pretty high class to me. I also found the animations to be very interesting. I'm glad that they showed what they did.

Not sure why you would expect to see actual gameplay. I'd be very surprised if they release and videos of gameplay before the pin is actually shipping.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

dannunz said:Trust me there will be a lot of custom graphics for all the kick ass modes and multiballs in the game.

I sure hope so. If there's a bunch of movie footage from a 1930's movie I'll probably have to sell this thing. I like movies from the 30's about as much as I like pinballs or music from the 30's. The wizard of oz story has been modernized many times. I guess I didn't expect a bunch of ancient movie garbage in my supposedly state of the art game. The more of this I see, the less excited I am for the game. I'll go see it in June at the Seattle show. If its disappointing then I'll put my preorder up for sale.
And showing me the apron as if that's a big deal? Who cares. It's the apron. When's the last time one of you bought a pinball based on how cool the apron was. No one cares about the apron. As I said, another hugely disappointing update.
And really? A tilt warning for giving my honest opinion of this update as a fully paid owner of the game? Wtf is the matter with you people. It's either "oh yea the game is great and jack is a king" or a tilt warning? Geez.

The apron aint cheap plastic crap and has all the signatures on it which shows pride from the team. I am fine with your honest opinion, but I really dont think that you will sell this one given the other games that you like....

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

markmon said:I sure hope so. If there's a bunch of movie footage from a 1930's movie I'll probably have to sell this thing. I like movies from the 30's about as much as I like pinballs or music from the 30's. The wizard of oz story has been modernized many times. I guess I didn't expect a bunch of ancient movie garbage in my supposedly state of the art game
Dude, I really don't know what the hell you were expecting. The game is based off the wizard of oz original movie. Were you expecting Michael Jackson and Diana Ross version? You have every right to express your disappointment, but honestly, I don't get what you were expecting. I'm happy to see a close tie into one of the best movies ever made.
Also, you might want to give movies from the 30s and 40s their due. Interestingly, a lot of new movies are based off the classics.

This plus one thousand.

#72 11 years ago

I keep hearing about the theme. I was tired of WOZ growing up and had not watched it in over 20 years. I love pinball enough that I knew the theme would not bother much. A couple weeks ago the local theater was doing a play, WOZ. I decided to go watch it with the wife just to remember. I actually enjoyed the play and realized the movie is really pretty good if you follow and pay attention.

Pretty fitting that this movie was the most expensive at the time and color was new to films. Kinda like JJP with WOZ. He is not holding back with the pin and the LCD is adding color to our pins. It will be the newest thing, everything will look B&W so to speak.

#73 11 years ago

I think it will be great for the kids and very nostalgic for the adults. Not a bad theme for a first pin imo...

#74 11 years ago

all cool, except the badass music on the logo...

#75 11 years ago

BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
What makes it different than any other pin animation? The fact that it is video instead of orange dots? I think it is going to be interesting for a long time.

That fact that WOZ is a very annoying movie to some, and seeing movie clips over and over again can wear on you

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

I believe as well that us with an ECLEWOZ on order are probably getting a product with a bill of materials somewhere north of 10 grand-if not that,then rapidly approaching that. Kirk in Colorado

So you are telling us, Jack went into business to lose 2500-3500 per game or more on his 1st 1,000 units? Just have my doubts, IMHO, that Jack would do that.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

So you are telling us, Jack went into business to lose 2500-3500 per game or more on his 1st 1,000 units? Just have my doubts, IMHO, that Jack would do that.

No bananahead he means its well worth that : )

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Interaction is the KEY!!!!! And this game appears to have it.. FINALLY

So...what happens if you start the mode and IMMEDIATELY hit the shot? Will the video "jump" to the point where Toto gets out of the basket, or will the video have to play thru as you play other modes?

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Attachments WOZ_Apron.jpg (184.8 KB, 3 downloads) 10 hours old

I'd LOVE the apron if it didn't have the signatures.

#80 11 years ago

Is that an apron or my senior yearbook.

"Have a great summer" WOZ team 2012

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

txstargazer3 said:

Attachments WOZ_Apron.jpg (184.8 KB, 3 downloads) 10 hours old
I'd LOVE the apron if it didn't have the signatures.

+1 I think it is very classy too. The signatures aren't the best idea, but it still looks good.

#82 11 years ago

go get the shirt from woot today to play woz!!!

Dark_Side_of_Oz_Listening_Party4p6Deta.pngDark_Side_of_Oz_Listening_Party4p6Deta.png

#83 11 years ago

Jack recently posted on the owners group that this is not the final version of the apron, but it it very close. I noticed on the photos from yesterday's release that there are now cut outs in both the lower left and lower right corners. Chocky asked If the number plate goes on the left, what goes on the right? Because Jack hopes to get these on location, I'm guessing maybe the price/rule card.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

v8torino said:
I believe as well that us with an ECLEWOZ on order are probably getting a product with a bill of materials somewhere north of 10 grand-if not that,then rapidly approaching that. Kirk in Colorado

Yeah I sure hope not, otherwise the Hobbit is going to be really expensive or look like a Stern Pro model... I suspect the price will go up somewhat, but JJP quality and BOM will not go down.

John

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Jack should sport the mustache for the release!
Chris

Great shout.

#86 11 years ago

I like it!

I think in the begining of the game the animations will be black and white or sephia and as the game progresses, the animations will become gorgous color.
JUST LIKE THE MOVIE. DUH?
Who could miss that one?
I checked out the pics of the apron, it looks like it is solid wood and not plywood. If so, very classy!
Perhaps it is trophy plaque walnut or some sort of nice grain hard wood. Good to see quality in the wooden apron too. Fantastic job throughout! What ever your thoughts on style or theme, it is
definately a really high quality game.

With regard to the amount of money put into this game, jack might be taking a loss
Several reasons;
this is his flagship it has got to be fantastic in every way.
His reputation is on the line.
The customers will judge the product and make decisions to purchase new in the future
The business success is on the line if he does not show something fantastic.

Quite normal in the business industry to take a loss on a new product to secure future solid sales.
It is called a loss leader. Point of fact the sony playstation 3 lost money, but now sony monopolized the market. Many other companies do the same thing. Good strategy!

I figure jack paid people with shares in the company or other forms of compensation to help ease the expenses and ensure their best perfromance.

I calculated that jack would have NO CHOICE but to do a fricken stellar job on this pin AND take a loss to ensure his companies future success. SIMPLE!!!!!

But what does this mean to me? I was guarenteed a ground breaking fantastic pinball machine!
SIMPLE!!

FORTUNATELY IN THIS CASE EVERYBODY WINS!

#87 11 years ago

I agree and sooooo hope the unlicensed theme is fantastic. With LCD some sort of futuristic theme to make it look state of the art.

#88 11 years ago

I think the unlicensed theme will be JJP #3, after The Hobbit. Is that correct?

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from marvdom:

Point of fact the sony playstation 3 lost money, but now sony monopolized the market.

Huh? There's no monopoly. They're still hemorrhaging cash like a deadman, the Xbox is still going strong, and Nintendo's suffered some minor setbacks that may become major with the WiiU...only time will tell on that one..

Vita stands a good chance at pulling handheld dedicated systems away from Nintendo, and there's not much they can do about it for at least a few years without ticking off their base even more. They'll just keep churning Mario and Pokemon and be okay. Still not a monopoly.

#90 11 years ago

I just stopped and looked at all my current pins aprons, just the aprons. Then I looked at pictures of other current pins being sold. The only other producer is Stern. I challenge anybody who says they do not like the apron to do the same and then look at the WOZ apron again.

The older DMD pins are mostly metal with pricing and instruction cards which is the same. I hope they are not bright yellow. The other aprons I saw were plastic. All of them only have a small sticker of artwork in the upper "corners". It actually makes the others look even worse when you compare them apron to apron. To say you like the old plastic or metal better is borderline dishonest or you just do not appreciate the woodwork. I like the warmer feel of the wood. Others may not, not I think the signatures are cool on any pin.

#91 11 years ago

Great point absocountry. I just looked at the apron on my DE SW and it is black plastic with a silver DE logo and a couple of instruction cards. Pretty bad. I agree that the WOZ apron is much better.

#92 11 years ago

I just stopped and looked at all my current pins aprons, just the aprons. Then I looked at pictures of other current pins being sold. The only other producer is Stern. I challenge anybody who says they do not like the apron to do the same and then look at the WOZ apron again.
The older DMD pins are mostly metal with pricing and instruction cards which is the same. I hope they are not bright yellow. The other aprons I saw were plastic. All of them only have a small sticker of artwork in the upper "corners". It actually makes the others look even worse when you compare them apron to apron. To say you like the old plastic or metal better is borderline dishonest or you just do not appreciate the woodwork. I like the warmer feel of the wood. Others may not, not I think the signatures are cool on any pin.

Yes, the wooden apron is awesome. The cut and beveling are awesome. The logo is awesome. The green starburst is awesome.

The white scribbles, however, are terrible. Just a poor art choice. The doesn't serve the artisitc look of the machine and the sigs should be removed. I'll bring my apron to a show if I want it signed, thanks anyway. The look of it is ruined with the sigs, not to mention it makes it feel like one of those corny collector items with the fake printed sigs. There's just nothing redeeming about the white scribble signatures, it's only distracting.

#93 11 years ago

If the signatures were not there we would be complaining about the JJP emblem. For the record I like the emblem. Every pin needs the manufacturer on there and that is a very common place/location.

#94 11 years ago

And compare to these..........

http://www.pinball-dreams.com/index.php?article_id=11&clang=1

I again think it is top quality and probably seemed a great idea to the team but lets be honest, it don't look great.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

absocountry2 said:

If the signatures were not there we would be complaining about the JJP emblem.

Wow, are you telling us off for what we might say in a parallel universe? That's pretty harsh!

No just joking that it does not matter what Jack puts out, somebody is going to find something to hate about it. I am just enjoying the step up we all have coming in pinball as a whole. Competition is good!

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And compare to these..........

http://www.pinball-dreams.com/index.php?article_id=11&clang=1

I again think it is top quality and probably seemed a great idea to the team but lets be honest, it don't look great.

Those are great but they are not production aprons, they are aftermarket. I am just talking about what comes on the pins out of the box.

We will have to agree to disagree on the look, I honestly think it looks great with the signatures. I looked at my pins with that picture in my mind and it is going to make the other aprons look bad sitting next to them, all of them. I do not have any aftermarket aprons, just stock from fractory.

#99 11 years ago

chocky909 said:absocountry2 said:
If the signatures were not there we would be complaining about the JJP emblem.
Wow, are you telling us off for what we might say in a parallel universe? That's pretty harsh!
No just joking that it does not matter what Jack puts out, somebody is going to find something to hate about it. I am just enjoying the step up we all have coming in pinball as a whole. Competition is good!

Yeah I know what you mean but this is different because we know what we say will possibly have an effect on the final product, the rainbow plastic being the obvious example.

This real time development is a new phenomenon and I've been taking part in similar situations with the Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball on Facebook. It's very odd being a huge fan but feeling like if you don't be honest about the bad points then you are missing an opportunity to improve the product for yourself and everyone else. I think this is going to become more and more common as development of art and products is played out in public and interactivity is encouraged. I'm not yet sure whether it is good for the final product or not but if they are willing to listen then I will have my say.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

mechslave said:absocountry2 said:I just stopped and looked at all my current pins aprons, just the aprons. Then I looked at pictures of other current pins being sold. The only other producer is Stern. I challenge anybody who says they do not like the apron to do the same and then look at the WOZ apron again.
Yes, the wooden apron is awesome. The cut and beveling are awesome. The logo is awesome. The green starburst is awesome.
The white scribbles, however, are terrible. Just a poor art choice. The doesn't serve the artisitc look of the machine and the sigs should be removed. I'll bring my apron to a show if I want it signed, thanks anyway. The look of it is ruined with the sigs, not to mention it makes it feel like one of those corny collector items with the fake printed sigs. There's just nothing redeeming about the white scribble signatures, it's only distracting.
My sentiments exactly. It's the best ever apron... spoiled.

+1 Awesome idea, spoiled. Some people didn't see the problem with the huge JJP logo on Invisiglass meant for other manufacturer's machines either. How much cooler would this be with inserts to light up or a silk screen instruction set, or...anything but a bunch of self promoting scribbles. I feel the same about Gary Stern signing playfields. It makes me cringe. This is even more of a prominent position and in your face.

Other than that, this is a very impressive update.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-from-jjp-on-woz/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.