View topic image gallery

Dark_Side_of_Oz_Listening_Party4p6Deta.png
WOZ_Apron.jpg
172.jpg
177.jpg
171.jpg
170.jpg
175.jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 11 years ago

Here is the email I just received:

"Greetings Pinball Fans, 

It's taken a few weeks from the time the playfield artwork was approved to have actual production playfields. Between delays with receiving enough inserts to the printing and clear coating and curing of the playfields, they are making their way to our Midwest Campus and to NJ this week. 

This past week Jack visited the MC and some vendors including the printing company and the cabinet company. "The good news is that everyone was busy everywhere I went producing parts for us. Everyone is doing an amazing job" Jack said. The level of dedication from a number of vendors is incredible as a number of them have made significant investments in equipment and in people to ramp up for production.

We are also showing the first animation using movie assets. JP is a master and here we are showing a modeled hourglass based on the movie as the timekeeper.  In the first clip you were not successful and at the end the movie seems to melt on the bulb of the projector. In the second, you were successful. This is a tiny taste of what to expect on that beautiful Wells Gardner LCD.

Jen found a classic shot of Jack at work in 1975 at C.W. Post University in Glen Cove, NY. Jack wishes he still had a few of those games.

Our good friend and fellow pinhead, Creed / Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti just issued his first solo single, 'You Waste Your Time,' and it jumped up to No. 10 on the iTunes Rock Singles Chart after only one day of release.

The JJP logo uses the intro riff from You Waste Your Time and Mark will be doing a song that's included in our game. We wish Mark the best as he's on tour with Creed right now. http://loudwire.com/mark-tremonti-itunes-top-10-single-you-waste-your-time/ 

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms. Enjoy the day everyone!"

YouTube links: toto escapes.

JJP Logo Animation: (badass)

[Edit] Here are the pics:

170.jpg170.jpg
171.jpg171.jpg
177.jpg177.jpg
172.jpg172.jpg
175.jpg175.jpg

#2 11 years ago

You did not post the pictures that show the wood apron with everyone who worked on it. It looks like NJ guys on one side and Chicago on the other.

#3 11 years ago

The Toto escapes clips are great!!!

#4 11 years ago

I just tried from my phone, cannot get them. Will have to wait until I get home but I would guess someone else will get them up.

Edit: You must have been putting them up when I was looking at the post.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I just tried from my phone, cannot get them. Will have to wait until I get home but I would guess someone else will get them up.

Added them

#7 11 years ago

Can't wait to play this Sucker and see the Animations in Action!

#8 11 years ago

What the? The apron is wood!? Is that OFN? How on earth did I miss that? That's nutty.

*edit* LOL, I like how they hijacked the Space Shuttle change SHUTTLE value sound too. Awesome.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What the? The apron is wood!? Is that OFN? How on earth did I miss that? That's nutty.

I don't this that's the apron but who knows.

Check that. Yes it is the apron. Crap this thing is going to be 450lbs

P.s. what's ofn?

#10 11 years ago

Looks killer. I assume videos of the gameplay will be out on memorial day weekend.

Wood apron too? This is going to be heavy.

#11 11 years ago

Boy, seeing that LAST picture, i didnt realize he had been working on WOZ THAT long. Now i am worried if i will EVRR get my game.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Boy, seeing that LAST picture, i didnt realize he had been working on WOZ THAT long. Now i am worried if i will EVRR get my game.

That picture was taken 5 years before I was born. Lol sorry jack.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

P.s. what's ofn?

Old Freakin' News.

#14 11 years ago

Looks like a wood apron to me.

#15 11 years ago

It was in a picture a long time ago but jack did not show it in a while. We had no idea what was going to be on it.

#16 11 years ago

is it me, or is there a cutout for a magnet below the apron, at the base of the playfield???

-jon

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

is it me, or is there a cutout for a magnet below the apron, at the base of the playfield???

I think you are looking at it upside down. I think that magnet is at the top of the playfield.

#18 11 years ago

Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#20 11 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan

What makes it different than any other pin animation? The fact that it is video instead of orange dots? I think it is going to be interesting for a long time.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I'm hoping they'll all be skippable with a quick double tap.

I hope so. I like options because, I can see it getting old quick. I don't want to sit through it everytime.

#22 11 years ago

BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan
What makes it different than any other pin animation? The fact that it is video instead of orange dots? I think it is going to be interesting for a long time.

+1

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

chocky909 said:I'm hoping they'll all be skippable with a quick double tap.
I hope so. I like options because, I can see it getting old quick. I don't want to sit through it everytime.

It's a timed event. Likely you won't be looking at the screen. You will be trying to hit a shoot. It's not like CV when you lock a ball and you see a DMD animation for 30 minutes. lol

#24 11 years ago

Nice, man oh man I am so glad to see this!

I would assume the playfields shown here are for the dozen or so cabinets they currently have which will eventually turn into the "test machines" due out next month no?

Cool, now hurry up & get your first test run done JJP, get the details ironed out & start making those new pins for the masses

This machine is why I didnt buy an ACDC, the WOZ will be my first NIB, exciting times ahead for sure. Glad to see much needed innovation & supply for this current hobby of ours.

Wooden apron, weird, but I like it.

#25 11 years ago

Just imagine Avengers pin with this treatment.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Just imagine Avengers pin with this treatment. []

Or The Hobbit!

#27 11 years ago

Jack should sport the mustache for the release!

Chris

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

badbilly27 said:Just imagine Avengers pin with this treatment. []
Or The Hobbit!

No need to imagine The Hobbit done by JJP. It is pin#2 for them. In other words it will become reality.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

No need to imagine The Hobbit done by JJP. It is pin#2 for them. In other words it will become reality. []

You have made my day sir!

#30 11 years ago

I'm hoping for some kind of lighting under or around the wood apron,also what images appear to be on the apron? flying-uh I mean-Winged Monkeys (tm)

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Boy, seeing that LAST picture, i didnt realize he had been working on WOZ THAT long

Gorilla,I like your since of humor-that is some funny stuff right there.

#32 11 years ago

I see lots of white inserts. I assume that means multicolor LEDs underneath ala ACDC?

John

#33 11 years ago

Markmon,

Licensed pinball machines have to follow guidelines from the license holder. I would doubt rock and explosions would have passed by folks. Remember this movie is Nearly 75 years old. It will never look like a Michael bay flick

#34 11 years ago

Hang tuff guys,I still believe we'll have them before the snow flies
So what,we go blue in the face wanting this machine and then a couple months later the new machine buzz is gone.Try to enjoy the buildup and be a cup half full kind of person instead of finding stuff to gripe about.
It has been stated before that we are maybe-at best seeing 10 to 20 % of this beast anyway.
After seeing Jack's presentation here in Denver a few weeks ago I truly believe he is keeping this machine on the down low for possibly several reasons-maybe we'll know why someday.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

also what images appear to be on the apron? flying-uh I mean-Winged Monkeys (tm)

No, those are actually signatures of all the people that worked on the game. It was being talked about on the WOZ group and Jack said he'll post a better pic of it soon.

Matt

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine.

I like it. Not wanting to see a "rock" version of Wizard of Oz...would just be too weird. Needs the music and the old movie clips for me.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Needs the music and the old movie clips for me.

Me too, gonna be very cool!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's

1930s ! 1939 to be exact .

Jim

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This update was certainly disappointing. Not only is it just another "almost nothing" update designed to do nothing but generate more hype

It is an update on the status of the pins. Every update does not need to have new stuff in it. This one did have the apron art, that is new.

#40 11 years ago

The apron signatures have the Chicago team on the left side and the Jersey team on the right side with the JJP logo in the middle. Also, it is a wood apron. The numbered plaque (e.g. #825 of 1,000) will be inset into the lower left corner.

I thought it was a good update. About 10-15% of the movie is shot in sepia; the rest is in color. We have already seen some clips in color and they looked good. Nice to see that the main playfield and raised playfields are beginning to arrive and that things are coming together. Soon the betas will be on location for testing!

#41 11 years ago

BMore-Pinball said:Love the JJP animated logo - BUT those woz animations/ movie clips are going to get really annoying unless you are a huge WOZ fan

I agree. As the player, for the most part we don't look up from the playfield except to admire our work after a minor mode completion or some super jackpot, or a quick peak at a progress report or scores.

The display is more for the total ambiance of the pinball experience being enhanced and brought up to present day standards. Machines should've really been doing this 10 years ago. It's also for the people watching from the sidelines, passer-bys, friends/family etc. It's one of the main reasons P2k was an earnings disaster. Nobody but the player could see what was going on, or cared.

This kind of stuff was long overdue, and Stern would've never done it without having a leader to follow. Thankfully we have Jack.

#42 11 years ago

how GOOD is this game going to be!!!!!

#43 11 years ago

Trust me there will be a lot of custom graphics for all the kick ass modes and multiballs in the game. Can

Quoted from markmon:This update was certainly disappointing. Not only is it just another "almost nothing" update designed to do nothing but generate more hype, but it also was disappointing. I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine. The jjp animated logo is amazing. Why can't it all be like that? I'd like the next update to be that my machine has shipped or a full video of the game playing.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This update was certainly disappointing. Not only is it just another "almost nothing" update designed to do nothing but generate more hype, but it also was disappointing. I have no desire to see movie footage from a 1950's movie in sepia on my 2012 pinball machine. The jjp animated logo is amazing. Why can't it all be like that? I'd like the next update to be that my machine has shipped or a full video of the game playing.

I'll take hi-rez sepia over crude 16 levels of orange at 8 dpi resolution any day! Seriously.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If there's a bunch of movie footage from a 1930's movie

If there is, I'll be very happy. I'm looking forward to having the theme properly integrated in to the gameplay, as with any other pin theme.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I sure hope so. If there's a bunch of movie footage from a 1930's movie I'll probably have to sell this thing. I like movies from the 30's about as much as I like pinballs or music from the 30's. The wizard of oz story has been modernized many times. I guess I didn't expect a bunch of ancient movie garbage in my supposedly state of the art game

Dude, I really don't know what the hell you were expecting. The game is based off the wizard of oz original movie. Were you expecting Michael Jackson and Diana Ross version? You have every right to express your disappointment, but honestly, I don't get what you were expecting. I'm happy to see a close tie into one of the best movies ever made.

Also, you might want to give movies from the 30s and 40s their due. Interestingly, a lot of new movies are based off the classics.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'll take hi-rez sepia over crude 16 levels of orange at 8 dpi resolution any day! Seriously.

+1 It is high time the DMD was replaced, it has been around a long time. Stern made a nice attempt at putting movie clips on their recent DMD machines, but the limitations of the technology were pretty apparent. Let's see what an LCD pin is like.

Post edited by txstargazer3 : fixed typo

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

dannunz said:Trust me there will be a lot of custom graphics for all the kick ass modes and multiballs in the game.

I sure hope so. If there's a bunch of movie footage from a 1930's movie I'll probably have to sell this thing. I like movies from the 30's about as much as I like pinballs or music from the 30's. The wizard of oz story has been modernized many times. I guess I didn't expect a bunch of ancient movie garbage in my supposedly state of the art game. The more of this I see, the less excited I am for the game. I'll go see it in June at the Seattle show. If its disappointing then I'll put my preorder up for sale.
And showing me the apron as if that's a big deal? Who cares. It's the apron. When's the last time one of you bought a pinball based on how cool the apron was. No one cares about the apron. As I said, another hugely disappointing update.
And really? A tilt warning for giving my honest opinion of this update as a fully paid owner of the game? Wtf is the matter with you people. It's either "oh yea the game is great and jack is a king" or a tilt warning? Geez.

I too don't quite get what you were expecting for a game based on a '30s movie. Cold feet?

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I too don't quite get what you were expecting for a game based on a '30s movie. Cold feet?

Hellooooo......it's certainly gonna be about WOZ so if you don't like the theme the beauty is you can sell your pre-order and make a few bucks....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 91.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-from-jjp-on-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.