4DCC4C88-4857-47DA-9FF4-510796FDABAA.gif
ED468566-C5A0-407D-A0CC-5A64D9E817A6.gif
17374F8A-C3B0-4489-A231-D7332BD62404 (resized).jpeg
68B85B40-BC38-4573-81B4-CE9AB2396254.gif
B3109DD9-235E-48BF-890B-BB67B5A3C3CB.png
A0144078-DE67-4317-B09A-B94E6634179F (resized).png
1D5D3E6F-FEDC-4620-B44D-47C59D904D40 (resized).jpeg
happen (resized).jpg
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Hello again, you beautiful people!

Today I want you to think of a game that is very sharp and unforgiving, and nearly impossible to master. The machine that sucks quarters and seems to hate you, or that one game where the ball is seemingly always in danger of going somewhere you don’t want it to go. A game where you must pay for even the smallest mistake. What is your “tightrope game”, so to speak?
Mine is Pat Lawlor’s Whirlwind, and here is why:

So I will set the scene.
I am in the B Division of a tournament in my city in 2018. I’m player 1 of four, on my first of two EBs, ball 3. I am in second place, around 1.5 mil behind Player 4 in first.
Before me, he started a really good MB after a Mega Door Bonus, and was scoring a lot of Million Plus shots on me. This was a problem, because those shots can be worth monster points if made many times.
And he did indeed make it very many times. He scored around 20M from the multiball mode, and after lighting the locks, landed a 3-way Combo before fluking a backhand up the right ramp, locking a ball. After two minutes, he lost the ball to an alley pass gone wrong.
It was my turn.
On the first ball, I didn’t do so hot. I lit the lock again, and that was pretty much it, save for a lot of good ramp shots.
On the first EB though... say what you will. I plunged to the flippers, and caught a Skill Shot by banking off the 3-bank of drop targets, and it got better from there. The only thing not great was that I messed up a chance at Quick MB, but otherwise, I thought I did well.
But tragedy struck without warning.
For whatever reason, I was not hitting the right ramp very well. I was a bit disappointed in myself actually, to see myself missing like a dyke on a bike. It was at that point that I screwed up; changing my plan, I tried to get some green targets.

What happened next changed everything.
I went for a loop through the jets on the left and tried to time a shot perfectly. Well, I made the loop, but I was not anticipating how fast the ball would travel. Was it trying to break the speed of light? I don’t know!
All I know is that I fudged the timing and shot too late, and the ball went most of the way up the side ramp, but it was just too weak. The ball must have been some 3mm from getting all the way around, and it came hurtling back.
Directly for the right outlane it raced, at fifty miles an hour.
Was I doomed? Not exactly... The thing is, I am used to these fast, erratic returns from misses, and can handle these moderately well, so I wasn’t too worried. Besides, I had an extra ball waiting for me after this one!
Now, this part is 100% real. No joke.

By some miracle, I PULLED A SAM HARVEY OUT AND REVERSED THE DIRECTION OF THE BALL!
If my opponents weren’t watching, nobody would believe me now. But I assure you, it really happened.
But at this point, the machine had enough of my tricks. If it could speak, it would have said, “Take this, you cheating bstard!” Guess what it did...
THE BALL LEFT THE DRAIN, ONLY TO MAKE A HORIZONTAL JUMP INTO THE OTHER OUTLANE!
At that point, I picked up the game by its front legs, pulled it back, and leaped on the glass, breaking it. I was actually banned from the tournament for that body slam.

Looking back, I’m ashamed of myself for doing that. I should not have flipped the f*ck out when that happened. Share similar stories and comments below!

Added over 4 years ago:

Update: Due to extreme negative reactions, I have issued an apology and a true version of the story.
I’m gonna drink bleach now.

#2 3 years ago

You would never set foot in any establishment I owned ever again for that kind of nonsense. Sounds like you are bragging, not ashamed.

#3 3 years ago

If this story is true, I hope you compensated the game owner for the glass and many hours of work you created for them with your childish antics. Can’t imagine anyone in the local scene would welcome you back after that bullshit.

Also, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Quoted from Origin:

to see myself missing like a dyke on a bike.

#4 3 years ago

This is bait, only stupid fish bite.

#5 3 years ago

You’re an ass if that story is true, and I’d be ashamed to share it privately to my best friend, let alone a public forum. Also, your thread title is horrible.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

At that point, I picked up the game by its front legs, pulled it back, and leaped on the glass, breaking it. I was actually banned from the tournament for that body slam.
!

happen (resized).jpghappen (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

A complete lack of respect for someone else's game...what are you twelve?

#8 3 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen. Sounds ludicrous!
-Mike

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

Today I want you to think of a game that is very sharp and unforgiving, and nearly impossible to master. The machine that sucks quarters and seems to hate you, or that one game where the ball is seemingly always in danger of going somewhere you don’t want it to go. A game where you must pay for even the smallest mistake. What is your “tightrope game”, so to speak?
Mine is Pat Lawlor’s Whirlwind, and here is why:
So I will set the scene.
I am in the B Division of a tournament in my city in 2018. I’m player 1 of four, on my first of two EBs, ball 3. I am in second place, around 1.5 mil behind Player 4 in first.
Before me, he started a really good MB after a Mega Door Bonus, and was scoring a lot of Million Plus shots on me. This was a problem, because those shots can be worth monster points if made many times.
And he did indeed make it very many times. He scored around 20M from the multiball mode, and after lighting the locks, landed a 3-way Combo before fluking a backhand up the right ramp, locking a ball. After two minutes, he lost the ball to an alley pass gone wrong.
It was my turn.
On the first ball, I didn’t do so hot. I lit the lock again, and that was pretty much it, save for a lot of good ramp shots.
On the first EB though... say what you will. I plunged to the flippers, and caught a Skill Shot by banking off the 3-bank of drop targets, and it got better from there. The only thing not great was that I messed up a chance at Quick MB, but otherwise, I thought I did well.
But tragedy struck without warning.
For whatever reason, I was not hitting the right ramp very well. I was a bit disappointed in myself actually, to see myself missing like a dyke on a bike. It was at that point that I screwed up; changing my plan, I tried to get some green targets.
What happened next changed everything.
I went for a loop through the jets on the left and tried to time a shot perfectly. Well, I made the loop, but I was not anticipating how fast the ball would travel. Was it trying to break the speed of light? I don’t know!
All I know is that I fudged the timing and shot too late, and the ball went most of the way up the side ramp, but it was just too weak. The ball must have been some 3mm from getting all the way around, and it came hurtling back.
Was I doomed? Not exactly... The thing is, I am used to these fast, erratic returns from misses, and can handle these moderately well, so I wasn’t too worried. Besides, I had an extra ball waiting for me after this one!
Now, this part is 100% real. No joke.
By some miracle, I PULLED A SAM HARVEY OUT AND REVERSED THE DIRECTION OF THE BALL!
If my opponents weren’t watching, nobody would believe me now. But I assure you, it really happened.
But at this point, the machine had enough of my tricks. If it could speak, it would have said, “Take this, you cheating bstard!” Guess what it did...
THE BALL LEFT THE DRAIN, ONLY TO MAKE A HORIZONTAL JUMP INTO THE OTHER OUTLANE!
Looking back, I’m ashamed of myself for doing that. I should not have flipped the f*ck out when that happened. Share similar stories and comments below!

Bro - you broke glass? What the hell.

I’ve been known to a little rough at tournaments;

I once slapped a rail, at the top middle, half my hand hit the glass.

I once knocked a head box into the adjacent game - and DQ’d myself for doing so - it was an accident. May have done this twice in public. Did it once at home too.

I’ve rage tilted in public - but nothing too insane. 3~ times.

I’m rough from time to time and not proud of it. I’ve gotten much better over the last year - 18 months.

If you broke a playfield glass - yeah - you should be banned.

What’s your IFPA number?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

myself missing like a dyke on a bike.

Also ... what?

#11 3 years ago

Can't someone that was their confirm this story? They should of made him pay for it or be banned for life.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Can't someone that was their confirm this story? They should of made him pay for it or be banned for life.

Probably both. I witnessed a dude pick a game up and drop it once - I couldn’t believe my eyes.

That’s not a rage tilt, that’s not competitive spirit. It’s breaking someone’s stuff.

#13 3 years ago
1D5D3E6F-FEDC-4620-B44D-47C59D904D40 (resized).jpeg1D5D3E6F-FEDC-4620-B44D-47C59D904D40 (resized).jpeg
#14 3 years ago

Title of thread is correct. If true complete lack of respect for someone else's property

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

Today I want

TLDR

#16 3 years ago

A lesbian on a bicycle? Doesn't seem so rare these days?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

a dyke on a bike.

Makes you the ass on the glass

#18 3 years ago

Does this count as # 500 for Kaneda?

I kid....I kid.......

#19 3 years ago

From another thread

Quoted from Origin:

I will turn 23 in August, for instance

This sounds like a spoiled kid that will learn some hard life lessons

#20 3 years ago

Brand new guy starts two threads on his first day here. Ok. This story is as much bullshit as your account. You wouldve got your ass stomped for that shit and the dyke on a bike comment confirms that that is still some medicine you need prescribed. Fuck off.

#21 3 years ago

This is some silly "look at me" shit right here.

Zero stars.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:Hello again, you beautiful people!

Hmm, Steven from Gameseum, is that you?

#23 3 years ago

100% troll account and the OP's post didn't happen either.

#24 3 years ago

Unbelievable because of the way the ball jumped from one outlane to the other?
Or unbelievable because you momentarily lost your temper and broke the glass?
Or unbelievable that you posted it on Pinside and asked for similar experiences?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Brand new guy starts two threads on his first day here.

Well hes been here for 3 months.
In case you forgot his early awesome threads

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-the-only-one-who-hates-totan

But yeah, fuck off should do

#26 3 years ago

Obviously didn’t happen, otherwise, there would have undoubtedly been other threads calling out the S.O.B. who lost control at a tournament and rage-destroyed a machine.

So then, what IS the angle? Really, what compels a person with minimal history here to post something like this and what is the desired outcome?

Regardless, to summarize everyone else: “bullsh*t”, and absolutely yes, “fu*k off” will indeed do nicely here! (Sorry for the lame censorship, at the moment I’m on a network where someone might smite me for using a rude word.)

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Obviously didn’t happen, otherwise, there would have undoubtedly been other threads calling out the S.O.B. who lost control at a tournament and rage-destroyed a machine.
So then, what IS the angle? Really, what compels a person with minimal history here to post something like this and what is the desired outcome?
Regardless, to summarize everyone else: “bullsh*t”, and absolutely yes, “fu*k off” will indeed do nicely here! (Sorry for the lame censorship, at the moment I’m on a network where someone might smite me for using a rude word.)

And what legit tournament let's you play all kinds of extra balls?

#28 3 years ago

So, it's week three in my fantasy football league and I'm up by fifteen points going into Monday Night...

#29 3 years ago

Well he did get a bit of attention

#30 3 years ago

Not one upvote?

#31 3 years ago

Is there a fictional story telling sub forum?

#32 3 years ago

cool story bro

#33 3 years ago

Wow, I am most impressed, Bro. If you are ever out an about around beautiful Aguanga, LMK so you can stop by and show me all your cool moves on my WW. Might take the glass off--that is unless you bounce some of your trick shots off it--well, before breaking it...

#34 3 years ago

r/thathappened

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Or unbelievable that you posted it on Pinside and asked for similar experiences?

Unbelievable because it's one big fucking lie.

#36 3 years ago

First of all, I call BS on this... Unbelievable is a good description, because that is what it is.
2nd thing is that there is never a good reason to damage a machine that does not belong to you. Ever...
You can request a refund later if you think you need it...

#37 3 years ago

"I was actually banned from the tournament for that body slam." People tend to overuse the word 'actually' these days but this one is a doozy.

#38 3 years ago
A0144078-DE67-4317-B09A-B94E6634179F (resized).pngA0144078-DE67-4317-B09A-B94E6634179F (resized).png
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Or unbelievable because how can a missed left ramp shot return "directly for the right outlane it raced, at fifty miles an hour"?

#40 3 years ago

Unbelievable?

After about 8 years on pinside now, that another member would type out all those words is more than believable.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Or unbelievable because how can a missed left ramp shot return "directly for the right outlane it raced, at fifty miles an hour"?

So, I just studied a photo of the WW layout.

Quoted from Origin:

After completing the study, I have concluded that this is physically impossible on this game.

1. Pinballs do not travel fifty miles an hour, pretty much ever.
2. A barely missed ramp shot that goes almost all the way up would roll back and, depending on game configuration, bounce off either the upper right flipper, the plunger gate, or the large rubber below it. It's possible it could bounce to the large rubber on the left, then back to the right outlane - but that's not "directly."
3. Good to know this guy is good at measuring distances with such precision.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Is there a fictional story telling sub forum?

Yes, on a different website, it’s called /b/ lmao. This is some silly shit.

B3109DD9-235E-48BF-890B-BB67B5A3C3CB.pngB3109DD9-235E-48BF-890B-BB67B5A3C3CB.png
#43 3 years ago

Leaned?
Or are you suggesting someone at a pinball tournament actually have the physical fitness to leap onto a machine?

I’ve only seen that at Rock Fantasy!
Steve scared me shitless standing on his games.

#44 3 years ago

I didn’t read you post (past the first sentence) because pinball is stupid.

#45 3 years ago

Where can I find your podcast?

#46 3 years ago

Kill me plz

#47 3 years ago

Oh God no!

APOLOGY LETTER:
I was really sore over the story, and it was a greatly exaggerated version of a real event in a tournament.
Here’s what really happened. I was in full rage mode at the time of writing the original.

When I was playing, the ball went almost all the way up the side ramp, but failed. I don’t know what the heck I was trying to do, but it was a dumb idea. I performed a very strong save, costing me a double danger, that moved the ball ridiculously close to the right outlane. The ball bounced out, but at a dangerously high angle, travelling straight for the right outlane. I tried another save, but at that point, I tilted the game and I lost to the left outlane.
I was not pleased.
When I went home, I just threw myself onto the bed.
I contemplated life for three long hours, and I was more depressed than ever before.
What would have happened if my plan was successful? The realisations dawned on me, and I was full from rock bottom to the brim with self-loathing.

The original story was actually part of an evil döppelganger I devised for myself, and his name was Dark Origin. He was a pinball champion by day and a hitman by night. This event was late in the evening, when Dark-O was beginning to transform into his true, killing self. His ruse as a player slowly slipped, and he lost his mind midway through the game. That incident was his evil persona winning the battle, when he lost his temper and turned into his natural, evil form.
I forgot to mention that he started a gunfight and killed everyone in the room, and destroyed the Whirlwind with his body slam.

I hope this clears up our incident.
Thank you for your cooperation.

-OriginPB (for real this time!)

#48 3 years ago

My advice to you is to give up Pinball completely (for your own safety and the safety of others).
Spend quality time with yourself self medicating, perhaps heavy drinking and become an alcoholic (if you’re not already).
Continue writing fictional stories while intoxicated and put together a body of fictional novels (Philip K Dick style) while continuing to self medicate and detach yourself from reality and sanity.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

Oh God no!
APOLOGY LETTER:
I was really sore over the story, and it was a greatly exaggerated version of a real event in a tournament.
Here’s what really happened. I was in full rage mode at the time of writing the original.
When I was playing, the ball went almost all the way up the side ramp, but failed. I don’t know what the heck I was trying to do, but it was a dumb idea. I performed a very strong save, costing me a double danger, that moved the ball ridiculously close to the right outlane. The ball bounced out, but at a dangerously high angle, travelling straight for the right outlane. I tried another save, but at that point, I tilted the game and I lost to the left outlane.
I was not pleased.
When I went home, I just threw myself onto the bed.
I contemplated life for three long hours, and I was more depressed than ever before.
What would have happened if my plan was successful? The realisations dawned on me, and I was full from rock bottom to the brim with self-loathing.
The original story was actually part of an evil döppelganger I devised for myself, and his name was Dark Origin. He was a pinball champion by day and a hitman by night. This event was late in the evening, when Dark-O was beginning to transform into his true, killing self. His ruse as a player slowly slipped, and he lost his mind midway through the game. That incident was his evil persona winning the battle, when he lost his temper and turned into his natural, evil form.
I forgot to mention that he started a gunfight and killed everyone in the room, and destroyed the Whirlwind with his body slam.
I hope this clears up our incident.
Thank you for your cooperation.
-OriginPB (for real this time!)

LOL I much prefer this fictional Dark Origin guy, more stories on him! lol (maybe not so much the mass murder part lol)

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

I'm a bit puzzled. This tournament you mentioned was in 2018. You entered your "full rage mode" one day ago. What's been going on between these two events ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unbelievable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.