IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5749 (resized).jpeg
D583E050-4EC1-4A55-A5FE-23C3A562E50A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.15?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.43?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
b3623e555f631689d7bb4d80bac9a44e (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231116_113600_Chrome (resized).jpg
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 5 months ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

At home I don't want it. As an operator, I want them to put a video in there enticing people to put money in MY machine, not to buy one for themselves.

Exactly. This ad serves no real purpose. Anyone that even thinks for half a second that they want to buy a pinball machine can do a 2 second google search and realize you can buy them. I dont get it, but stern doesn’t want my opinion on it.

#52 5 months ago

Coding at stern.....

order 66 (resized).pngorder 66 (resized).png
#53 5 months ago

Well, it starts with this code update getting a commercial video in the game and adjustment #55. Later each subsequent code update will swap in a different commercial until they're just pushing them live over the air. Every game with an active insider account connected to wifi will get updated commercials while the machine is on. You know it's coming.

I'm fine with it as long as you can turn it off and it stays off.

#54 5 months ago

The real test will be when the new season of Madolorian is near. Does everyone's favorite ex-Disney exec pull a favor for their old buddies and blast ads for the new season on all Mando machines?

#55 5 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Well, it starts with this code update getting a commercial video in the game and adjustment #55. Later each subsequent code update will swap in a different commercial until they're just pushing them live over the air.

Why not assume they can already push them live over the air now? My hunch is we see them change without another code update.

#56 5 months ago
Quoted from scootss:

Why not assume they can already push them live over the air now? My hunch is we see them change without another code update.

My Iron Maiden doesn't have insider connected, so no way that commercial that's in there now can be updated without a new code update. So...

#57 5 months ago

I welcome an additional attract mode video I can swap out with my own content.

Thanks Stern!

#58 5 months ago

Yeah yeah yeah, it's a simple adjustment toggle to turn these off. I think it's just a shitty "trojan horse" type of thing to do by having CODESGIVING!!! where they send out this exciting notice, you happily accept it, but then most games get nothing the owners want and Stern gets exactly what they want.

It's like Peter's breakfast machine. It doesn't update the code at all! It just shoots you (with ads).

#59 5 months ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Just wait until they put in a 30 second ad-break between balls. "Subscribe to Insider Premium to remove these ads!"...

Haha

#60 5 months ago

How to anger people whose lives revolve around pinball: promote pinball in their pinball.

#61 5 months ago

please someone explain how these ads are annoying?
without conjecture or speculation

#62 5 months ago
Quoted from fuzz:

When the game is on and no one is playing it or paying attention to it, someone might accidentally look at the screen at the same moment an ad for other pinball machines is playing and see it. And then… uh, I’m not sure.

#63 5 months ago

JJP wins lol.

download (8) (resized).jpgdownload (8) (resized).jpg

#64 5 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

When the game is on and no one is playing it or paying attention to it, someone might accidentally look at the screen at the same moment an ad for other pinball machines is playing and see it. And then… uh, I’m not sure.

HAHAHHA

exactly

#65 5 months ago

Here comes the cargument. It’s like when you spend big money on a new vehicle and the dealer throws a decal on the back and a dealer license plate frame.

Pay me monthly for advertising for your dealership or remove it asap or no sale for you.

#66 5 months ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Well I suppose this counts as speculation because I'm saying 'suppose' but....

I suppose people are just tired of being bombarded with ads. Ads at the gas pump. I pay $2k+ for a TV running Android and get a home screen full of ads. Now ads on my pinball machine. Etc.

#67 5 months ago

Personally I wish the loop ran the tutorial more often. Would be nice for when you have guests over that don't know what to do.

#68 5 months ago

If I paid $29 for my Deadpool and had to watch a commercial every 15 minutes, I get it. Stern HULU....
If I pay $8k for a machine I shouldn't have to watch F*$kin commercials.

#69 5 months ago

I'm usually a pessimistic curmudgeon, and I hafta say that this doesn't bother me one bit

#70 5 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

How to anger people whose lives revolve around pinball: promote pinball in their pinball.

Right! They finally give us the innovation we've been asking for and this is the thanks we give!

#71 5 months ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Its probably the fact they didnt ask the pin owner if they can advertise on something they own. I mean, is it that difficult to understand? Hey you like ads, good for you, Sterns target!

Most dont.

#72 5 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm usually a pessimistic curmudgeon, and I hafta say that this doesn't bother me one bit

The funny thing is, you KNOW the programmers at Stern knew this exact thread would happen. And are, right now, probably LMAO reading all the paranoia posts here...

Add me to the lists of folks that are not horrified by this awful invasion of my gameroom privacy, or whatever everyone is in an uproar over. Looking forward to more interesting live content that this feature may reveal?

#73 5 months ago

If this ad was on TV, you’d all be loving it and sharing the shit out of it. This is still a commercial product first so it totally makes sense. Yesterday wasn’t even the first time ads appear in the attract mode. There’s been an Insider Connected ad running for a several weeks.

#74 5 months ago
Quoted from bane:

Is there irony in the fact that there are ads in the middle of this thread? Alanis, can you chime in?
[quoted image]

The real irony is that the OP spammed about 6 different game threads with this exact “information” before creating yet another thread to showcase “adjustment 55.”

It’s almost like an ad blitz!!!

ACT NOW!!!

#75 5 months ago
coroca-unsee-this.gifcoroca-unsee-this.gif
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 5 months ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

If this ad was on TV, you’d all be loving it and sharing the shit out of it. This is still a commercial product first so it totally makes sense. Yesterday wasn’t even the first time ads appear in the attract mode. There’s been an Insider Connected ad running for a several weeks.

If the ad was trying to sell a Buick or men's ball shaving cream that would be something. I have not seen the ads but sounds like it fits in with promoting pinball on location. As long as you can turn it off then no reason to throw a fit.

#77 5 months ago

I haven’t seen the ads yet but I still find it fun to see my Hook machine advertising Lethal Weapon 3 and then sitting right next to it is my Lethal Weapon 3 advertising Tales from the Crypt.

#78 5 months ago

I like it. But I'm glad you can turn it off if you want. It would be cool to have an adjustment for something in between. On/High/Med/Low/Off could adjust how often it comes up.

I actually think it would be cool if they spent more time on each game but only did one game per cycle.

#79 5 months ago
Quoted from viper001:

The funny thing is, you KNOW the programmers at Stern knew this exact thread would happen. And are, right now, probably LMAO reading all the paranoia posts here...

Probably a lot of over/under betting and whose buying lunch based on some parameters

#80 5 months ago

The irony is we all sit here desperately hoping a pinball company shows us a ad for a new product.

#81 5 months ago

Iron Maiden owners: Does the new code update the previous code's tour date listings to display the 2024 tour?

#82 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Iron Maiden owners: Does the new code update the previous code's tour date listings for the 2024 tour?

Nope. Sure doesn’t

#83 5 months ago

Really, THIS is what we're upset about now? I was told this forum was supposed to be populated with iron jaw conservative patriots. Who let all the snowflakes in?!

#84 5 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its probably the fact they didnt ask the pin owner if they can advertise on something they own. I mean, is it that difficult to understand? Hey you like ads, good for you, Sterns target!
Most dont.

it is that difficult to understand
I dont like ads, but the fact this ruffles feathers is ridiculous

#85 5 months ago

Curious, as I am not a coder or programmer, what is the average cost to develop the ads and put them in the update, I assume that cost was absorbed by the consumer?

#86 5 months ago

Whoa huge opportunity here to educate the next generation of great American citizen by bringing back the ads for Smokey the Bear, DARE Not to do Drugs, FBI Copyright warnings, and "The More You Know" public service announcements.

I think Mr T is still around too, maybe he can make a new ad warning kids of the dangers of trading crypto-currencies.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#87 5 months ago

Always left them on my DE games. I think it's cool AF but I'm the guy that will watch an hour straight of those 80's commercials vids. So maybe you're not ready for this, but your kids are gona love it!

#88 5 months ago

I think The Biggest takeaway here is that Stern says Hey new code drops for thanksgiving as if it were not just an advertising/marketing drop.
You dont care good for You.Just check the Read Me before You update and dont waste Your time doing it .Unless You feel there are any relevant upgrades or changes turn it off.Not a big deal but it was introduced as if it was code that might matter.What a turkey drop.Now You can tell us all how great it is.Carry on.Oh but ops only everyone else Kiss off.

#89 5 months ago

Just wait until there's a firmware bug with pulling remote ads and the machine crashes or hangs... All the "it's just a single ad crowd" will be singing a different tune. Don't think Stern will let that happen, there's a road filled with good intentions to connect every device imaginable that says otherwise.

#90 5 months ago
Quoted from RYE_:

I think Mr T is still around too, maybe he can make a new ad warning kids of the dangers of trading crypto-currencies

More likely we'll get Tom Selleck selling reverse mortgages.

#91 5 months ago

I did the update. I'm a huge fan of 'attract mode' since I like firing up the pins and letting em cook. I saw the ads immediately and said to myself 'WTF is this?' De-Execute Setting 55! I made a suggestion about a year ago that if I bought my son an Elvira that there should be a way for us to play the game together remotely and see highlights, scores, etc of him playing and beating my high score. Well... maybe it's my fault that Stern took this as approval to pitch ads at us.

#92 5 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Just wait until there's a firmware bug with pulling remote ads and the machine crashes or hangs... All the "it's just an a single ad crowd" will be singing a different tune. Don't think Stern will let that happen, there's a road filled with good intentions to connect every device imaginable that says otherwise.

kids (resized).jpgkids (resized).jpg
#93 5 months ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Just wait until they put in a 30 second ad-break between balls. "Subscribe to Insider Premium to remove these ads!"...

Wait until they place ads like "Pinball and Diet Coke go well together..." or "Watch The Marvels by DC Comics, In theaters now..." which is VERY possible now that they have Internet-connected machines. The new Stern machine cross promotion commercials may just be the START or TEST phase of a digital advertising monetization plan. (The LCDs become small advertising billboards during attract mode). Stern gets a cut, location owner gets a cut (to encourage location owner to leave the feature ON). A buck or two per day per machine, but it all adds up with 100,000+ machines on site.

#94 5 months ago

The 'you can just turn it off' is a classic example of a defeatist attitude. Moreover, it's EXACTLY the mindset that has been cultivated by the marketing industry...it places the burden onto the buyer to not be exposed to advertising. In other words, the default they have trained you into accepting is that ads are normal and if you don't want to see them, you must take steps to make that happen. This is often seen in services where you must sign up for a subscription to buy the product - then if you wish to not buy it any longer, you must actively take steps - often difficult steps - to discontinue. Enough is enough.

#95 5 months ago

#96 5 months ago

I'm just excited for a new thing to be angry about.

#97 5 months ago

It’s a cheeky non issue and I’m pretty sure it’s all Disney Man’s fault.

#98 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It’s a cheeky non issue and I’m pretty sure it’s all Disney Man’s fault.

Correct on both counts.

#99 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image]

lol, okay that's pretty funny @crazylevi. Don't worry, by the time Stern makes your dream theme, Grumpy Old Men, there will be plenty of commercials in it for all the children.

#100 5 months ago

I believe the code also has a load of stability fixes which they should have stressed more IMO.

Neil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turning-off-stern-s-annoying-new-commercials/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.