IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5749 (resized).jpeg
D583E050-4EC1-4A55-A5FE-23C3A562E50A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.15?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.43?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
b3623e555f631689d7bb4d80bac9a44e (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231116_113600_Chrome (resized).jpg
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 5 months ago

"Get on the horn. Tell them how to bring those sons of b!tches down."

If you updated your Stern games today with all the new code, you'll have noticed Stern snuck on some annoying commercials for their other games. GTFO with that crap, what a lame move.

Go into Standard Adjustments and find #55, "Display Message of the Day". Change this to OFF and kiss those stupid commercials goodbye.

#2 5 months ago

I just dont understand why its there in the first place. Completely unnecessary in any situation I can think of.

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I just dont understand why its there in the first place. Completely unnecessary in any situation I can think of.

They can pay someone to write it into your game and then deduct part of their salary as a business advertising expense.

Think how much more peaceful America would be if we had Congress halve the deduction for advertising.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I'm just so sick of ads absolutely everywhere. Anywhere you look, ads ads ads. I go to pinball as an exciting, engaging escape -- a break from the outside world and everything else that occupies my thoughts. I don't want ads on my pinball machine. What's next? Hit the start button, and you have to watch an ad first before the game even starts? Crap maybe I shouldn't've written that

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Go into Standard Adjustments and find #55, "Display Message of the Day". Change this to OFF and kiss those stupid commercials goodbye.

Next will be an update to hard-lock to ON for the ad of the day, without the ability to turn it off. Enjoy.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I'm just so sick of ads absolutely everywhere. Anywhere you look, ads ads ads. I go to pinball as an exciting, engaging escape -- a break from the outside world and everything else that occupies my thoughts. I don't want ads on my pinball machine. What's next? Hit the start button, and you have to watch an ad first before the game even starts? Crap maybe I shouldn't've written that

Agreed! Ads blow!

#7 5 months ago

Just wait until they put in a 30 second ad-break between balls. "Subscribe to Insider Premium to remove these ads!"...

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Location pinball?

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Pinball browser. Replace the commercial with video of you blowing up the game with a voiceover narrating. Impress your friends who think Stern put your gameplay in all the roms.

#10 5 months ago

But if you buy the LE there are no adds!

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Location pinball?

Clearly what it's for and it's defaulted to ON because Stern KNOWS most ops wouldn't go into the menus to turn it on if it defaulted to off. The KNOW most home users will do that as soon as they learn how. I can't blame them too much. Trying to grow pinball the TiVo way - "if you like THIS pin, check out THIS OTHER ONE!"

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I'm just so sick of ads absolutely everywhere. Anywhere you look, ads ads ads.

Well, you could buy the game, which usually gives you an ad free experience.

Oh wait...

#13 5 months ago

It's absolutely classic that there is a pinsider for sale ad embedded in this thread!

#14 5 months ago

Pretty soon they'll give you the option to tip your programmer.

#15 5 months ago

*shrug*

Middle east is on fire. Ukraine is still under siege. Democracy seems determined to commit suicide. Most of America is one medical emergency away from going broke.

Not really sweating some ads on a pin that I can turn off, and I count myself lucky to own in the first place. Heck, I always got a kick outta the old Data East ads.

I DO like the idea of replacing them in pinball browser. Movie clips would be cool.

#16 5 months ago

At home I don't want it. As an operator, I want them to put a video in there enticing people to put money in MY machine, not to buy one for themselves.

#17 5 months ago

I always liked it playing LW3 reminding me TFTC coming soon... then walking over to TFTC and playing it. The ads for coming soon were great to me, reminds me how excited I was as a kid for the next pin to come out.

Ads for current other games? Not so much. An ad for Jaws or BTTF? Yes please.

#19 5 months ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Ads for current other games? Not so much. An ad for Jaws or BTTF? Yes please.

The fact that they've called it "Message of the Day" means you might get your wish. I can see them pushing through whatever latest ad they want, whether it's an ad for a new game, for their merch, a photoshopped picture of Gary Stern flipping you off that ends up getting someone fired, etc.

#20 5 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

The fact that they've called it "Message of the Day" means you might get your wish. I can see them pushing through whatever latest ad they want, whether it's an ad for a new game, for their merch, a photoshopped picture of Gary Stern flipping you off that ends up getting someone fired, etc.

No I want an ad telling me Jaws is coming soon or BTTF.

Most of that coming soon magic is gone. I remember thinking back then "how will tftc be a pinball game?" I used to watch it without permission at my friend Nate's house (if I can't have you, nobody can!!). We'd think about what kind of shots there would be, what the playfield would look like, what kind of mechanisms there could be. If John was doing callouts.

The Internet and leaks ruin things. So a fin and some classic jaws theme as a tease or a "where we're going, we don't need ramps" as a tease for a street level bttf... let ops and homeowners through IC page make custome messages. crap like that would be fun.

#21 5 months ago
christmas-commercial.gifchristmas-commercial.gif
#22 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Aww come on, you stole that from Cary’s video.

#24 5 months ago

At these prices buying NIB should include daily inspirational video messages from the Stern team.

#25 5 months ago
Quoted from JFresh389:

Aww come on, you stole that from Cary’s video.

It's not the deepest cut & I don't watch any of them guys. Not really on my radar.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 5 months ago

We literally spend all day here looking at ads and pictures of new games. Why is this not something you’d want to see in your attract mode?

Regardless, no need for the meltdowns. It takes 10 seconds to turn this off so don’t see the big deal.

PS I’d better not see rollergames in any of your collections!!!

#27 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We literally spend all day here looking at ads ...

Remember when we all refused to buy TWD when "AMC" appeared over the name.

#28 5 months ago

Doing god’s work, thanks for the setting #55 tip!

#29 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Remember when we all refused to buy TWD when "AMC" appeared over the name.

I still will not have the Premium. Pro or LE. That AMC taking up the Premium cab is no bueno.

#30 5 months ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

As an operator, I want them to put a video in there enticing people to put money in MY machine, not to buy one for themselves.

Or suggest other titles you should buy too.

LTG : )

#31 5 months ago
IMG_1247 (resized).jpegIMG_1247 (resized).jpegIMG_1248 (resized).jpegIMG_1248 (resized).jpeg
#32 5 months ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I would LOVE if these kinds of messages were encoded in the Stern pinball video and you could see them with filtering glasses. But no point for Stern other than it'd be discussed forever.

#33 5 months ago

We already know every game release the day it comes out. Seems unaware of your audience. Wonder what changed at Stern after decades to warrant this new feature. Almost like Disney+ exec works there now or something

#34 5 months ago

“Get your whirlwind t shirt for $9.95, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx”. A few system 11 had built in ads. As mentioned above, RG was a billboard.

#35 5 months ago
tenor (8).giftenor (8).gif
#36 5 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

We already know every game release the day it comes out. Seems unaware of your audience. Wonder what changed at Stern after decades to warrant this new feature. Almost like Disney+ exec works there now or something

It's clearly for locations, and Stern knows it has to default to "on" because OPs will never turn it on, even if it benefits them. So they make it default to "ON" and then 70% of their market can turn it off and is motivated to do so. Stern mission accomplished.

SNL_This Aint For You.gifSNL_This Aint For You.gif

#37 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

“Get your whirlwind t shirt for $9.95, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx”. A few system 11 had built in ads. As mentioned above, RG was a billboard.

"...Police Force Hat..."

#38 5 months ago

Is there irony in the fact that there are ads in the middle of this thread? Alanis, can you chime in?

IMG_1827 (resized).pngIMG_1827 (resized).png
#39 5 months ago

I wonder how it would go down if the maker of the giant screens at the Superbowl decided to drop in their own ads on those screens during the game. As an operator it's really the principal of it all. After dramatically inflating game prices that have almost sent most operators I know out of business, Stern don't get to freely use those games as tools to market to my customers for their own self serving purposes, especially with a message encouraging people to buy a game, rather than play them on location.

#40 5 months ago

Jeez you can turn them off - no need to get the pitchforks out.

The one thing I take issue at is the view that this is just a code update for the adverts which Cary and some of you seem to be insinuating. Stern have been working on a lot of stability and code housekeeping to resolve game reboot issues that many of you who have busy games will have seen. Some games have had these fixes for a while - I understand Foo Fighters is one of them and I can tell you from our experience at UK Open Foo Fighters did not reboot the whole weekend but lots of other games did, we echo this in the games we have at our club.

I think it’s fantastic that Stern are chasing this stuff down and continuing to provide updates and brilliant new stuff in Elvira and tweaks in BKSOR. Compare with other manufacturers.

If stern really wanted to just update for these adverts there wouldn’t be a setting to turn them off.

Neil

#41 5 months ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

I wonder how it would go down if the maker of the giant screens at the Superbowl decided to include their own ads on those screens during the game. As an operator it's really the principal of it all. After dramatically inflating game prices that have almost sent most operators I know out of business, Stern don't get to freely use those games to market to our customers for their own self serving purposes, especially with a message encouraging people to buy a game, rather than play them on location. This company is now all take, take, take!

Jumbotron screens have such a mode called demo mode.

Every TV since flat screens became the rage have a demo mode also.

Also the more stern sell the more chance prices stay flat!

#42 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Jeez you can turn them off

Sure, but they have all auto updated now so I will need to physically go to each location to turn them off!

#43 5 months ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Sure, but they have all auto updated now so I will need to physically go to each location to turn them off!

ok that I accept is a pain in the arse Although also brave to have auto update on

Neil.

#44 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

ok that I accept is a pain in the arse Although also brave to have auto update on
Neil.

I do really, really hope they add remote setting adjustments to IC Pro soon. Heck, would be nice at home too, if just to provide a better interface than scrolling through 100 settings.

#45 5 months ago

Look on the bright side. If you own Stranger Things you get an uninspired mediocre challenge mode. I suppose that's better than nothing!

#46 5 months ago

Cant believe everyone is crying about ads, yall really need to get a grip
I think they are fine and add some variety to the screen cycles
we should count ourselves lucky that Stern continues to provide polish and enhancements

I do however think it was pretty lame that Stern made it sound like we were getting some sort of "gift" ala Codesgiving

but whatever

#47 5 months ago

It’s does partially explain why they suddenly have a code update for someone many games at once.
I do appreciate the ability to turn it off.

22C53FFA-7BC1-4D34-854A-5C4F93C7C40D (resized).jpeg22C53FFA-7BC1-4D34-854A-5C4F93C7C40D (resized).jpeg
#48 5 months ago

I saw Cary Hardy's video on these commercials last night. Just a terrible idea. Glad it can be turned off for now.

#49 5 months ago

On BBH HD operators can put their own ads on the game without hacking into the software. I think it would be a cool feature for operators if IC supported this.

#50 5 months ago
tmp.giftmp.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

$ 18.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 22.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turning-off-stern-s-annoying-new-commercials and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.