E7219FE9-484F-47CA-BFFE-0651512AF204 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
42B71745-F083-4796-A042-CBB9A06CFA64 (resized).jpeg
DFC91AE8-712E-49D3-85C9-A0EC21FA23AD (resized).jpeg
A8E750D6-0CAB-4127-8F16-6C5BD4B5C2D7 (resized).jpeg
9F9F9F80-D9A3-4674-994C-F41BE4D841DA (resized).jpeg
FFD4B468-4938-4BB5-8CE4-9AAFAFBBD39B (resized).jpeg
20230128_165821 (resized).jpg
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 1 year ago

Damn man, this FKng thing is unreal. I don't really know how to describe it...
I loved my art for the Shadow, ST upgrade was amazing, this is different.

Permission to post on my YouTube page??
Can't seem to find the standing ovation emoji...

PXL_20230128_022011730.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230128_022011730.MP (resized).jpg
#152 1 year ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Can't seem to find the standing ovation emoji...[quoted image]

Mine arrived today...let the magic happen tomorrow!!!

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Hey, thanks for continuing to support my little projects, I love hearing that, means a lot.

Quoted from ZEN:

By all means, post away! Feel free to link anything you put up here in this thread too.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Mine arrived today...let the magic happen tomorrow!!!

I'm going to cut you a little slack for not installing it right away like ZEN but only because you'e been ill.

I know you both got them around the same time because I was feeling anxious about their status and checked the delivery tracking just a bit ago. I knew you'd message me after it arrived, I heard from you like 20 minutes after I checked heh. I let myself get spoiled by the UPS ground speed on the first batch because they were all West Coast and one that was 2-day to Australia.

#155 1 year ago

I've cut all the parts for builds 7 & 8, so I'll just keep making steady progress on the list.

#156 1 year ago

#5 here.....super clean and tight build....quality off the charts....

And the finished product in action? Afraid words or these pics cant even begin to express how amazing this looks in person....

Freakin stellar job Aurich!!!! Absolutely impressed and blown away....thank you!!!...mark

20230128_165821 (resized).jpg20230128_165821 (resized).jpg20230128_165823 (resized).jpg20230128_165823 (resized).jpg20230128_165857 (resized).jpg20230128_165857 (resized).jpg20230128_165948 (resized).jpg20230128_165948 (resized).jpg
#157 1 year ago

Man, this topper is bad ass. Gets better and better as I see other putting it on their games.

For sure seems like it’s worth the value… hardware beauty at its finest.

It really fits the theme of Tron incorporating the neon light effects.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Man, this topper is bad ass. Gets better and better as I see other putting it on their games.
For sure seems like it’s worth the value… hardware beauty at its finest.
It really fits the theme of Tron incorporating the neon light effects.

Like I stated....there aren't words or true pics for this on the game.....you are correct

Wanted to do a complete vid ( including startup) on top of the beast itself....realized I'd never capture the full effect.

#159 1 year ago

Alright, dammit, add me to the list please.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Alright, dammit, add me to the list please.

Done!

#162 1 year ago

Nice video! Thanks for taking the time to make it.

The way the interactivity works is pretty simple, I'm not tracking gamestate or anything complicated, I'm just watching some of the flashers and responding in various ways to them.

So for instance when the scoop flashes the arcade cabinet to let you know it's ejecting the ball the FLYNN'S sign on my topper will flash in a color that matches the current idle state palette.

The 'neon' ring in the middle responds to the ZEN flasher. But because that flasher can go off repeatedly at times it will only do the middle ring animation once until another flasher has triggered, reseting things so ZEN can go again. That keeps it from getting stupid.

I'm watching some of the ramp flashers to do a little effect too. This is what I had to adjust because of the differences between the Pro and LE flashers, they're set up for the ramps differently. I chose to do it in a way that's universal, rather than have two versions of the topper. That way if you have an LE and decide you want to sell your topper to a Pro owner for instance it just works. Making little subtle differences you won't notice during gameplay didn't seem like a worthwhile tradeoff.

On top of that I'm also monitoring general activity. So when you get a light show where all the flashers are firing repeatedly, at the start of a multiball or end of the game etc, I've got a special animation sequence that combines all the effects into something flashier, that also advances the palette so it will rotate through the colors as it's firing off.

All of these effects respect the current idle state, so the different color palettes and animations it does without input will combine with the effects in various ways to keep things a little more dynamic.

I need to look at my code, but if I'm remembering right there are 8 different idle state palettes, that cycle through 6 different animation loops, and some of the animations also have variations they use a certain % of the time. Like how the center sphere is sometimes in color and sometimes pure white.

too long, didn't read: The interactivity is pretty simple, but I combine it all in various ways to make it feel a little more complicated than it really is.

#163 1 year ago

I've built 7 and 8, but I need to travel this weekend, so I'll contact their buyers and get them packed up next week after I'm back.

FFD4B468-4938-4BB5-8CE4-9AAFAFBBD39B (resized).jpegFFD4B468-4938-4BB5-8CE4-9AAFAFBBD39B (resized).jpeg

I've been working on optimizing my build process, got some little bins and made labels for the various lengths of screws since this uses several different sizes, and today I made some super helpful little armatures from cardboard and foam that let me support and flip things around without the screws falling out. Makes things a lot easier to handle in the tricky mid-assembly part when there are a lot of pieces that need to stay put but aren't ready to be locked down until the final stage.

9F9F9F80-D9A3-4674-994C-F41BE4D841DA (resized).jpeg9F9F9F80-D9A3-4674-994C-F41BE4D841DA (resized).jpeg

A8E750D6-0CAB-4127-8F16-6C5BD4B5C2D7 (resized).jpegA8E750D6-0CAB-4127-8F16-6C5BD4B5C2D7 (resized).jpeg

Getting more of a flow with the builds, will just keep them coming.

#164 1 year ago

I'm home again, we had a really nice trip for parent weekend at UC Santa Cruz, which is also where my wife and I went, so very nostalgic to be back on campus. Saw a satisfying amount of banana slugs.

42B71745-F083-4796-A042-CBB9A06CFA64 (resized).jpeg42B71745-F083-4796-A042-CBB9A06CFA64 (resized).jpeg

I'm packing up these two I built before I left and I'll work on making up for the lost time not having the weekend to build cost me.

DFC91AE8-712E-49D3-85C9-A0EC21FA23AD (resized).jpegDFC91AE8-712E-49D3-85C9-A0EC21FA23AD (resized).jpeg

#165 1 year ago

If I open mine and there’s a banana slug in it I will hunt you down and….well, you don’t wanna know. Lol.

Love the banana slug as a mascot, though. Still love the banana slug Easter egg in Pulp Fiction.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

If I open mine and there’s a banana slug in it I will hunt you down

Slug costs extra!

Quoted from djb_rh:

Still love the banana slug Easter egg in Pulp Fiction.

Me too, I have that same shirt.

#167 1 year ago

Just found out about this topper today!! Wow. Blown away. Please add me to the list of still available. My laserriffic topper is cool, however your topper will add so much color and life to the game! Tony

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#168 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Just found out about this topper today!! Wow. Blown away. Please add me to the list of still available. My laserriffic topper is cool, however your topper will add so much color and life to the game! Tony
[quoted image]

No problem Tony, I've added you to the list.

I have #9 boxed up, and just finished building #11 while listening to Super Bowl post-game highlights. Waiting for Kyle to drop by in about an hour with more PCBs for me so I can pack up these next two.

E7219FE9-484F-47CA-BFFE-0651512AF204 (resized).jpegE7219FE9-484F-47CA-BFFE-0651512AF204 (resized).jpeg

I used up all my acrylic today so will put in an order tonight so I can work on the next set. Appreciate people's patience with the hand-built process, trying to keep the output steady, I'll get to everyone.

#169 1 year ago

Loving seeing these installed. I'm going to grab one as soon as I can, I really hope you're still doing them later this year!

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Loving seeing these installed. I'm going to grab one as soon as I can, I really hope you're still doing them later this year!

I was talking with Kyle last night when he dropped off more PCBs for me about what our "end game" strategy on this project is. I didn't make it limited, because I'm honestly sick of that model. The fake FOMO feels tiresome to me.

But at some point I'll manage to catch up to the pre-order list (trying!) and there will be a lull. And we'll try and buffer spare PCBs to have on hand for orders after that. But once they're used up it won't be as easy to just randomly make one out of the blue.

So just fair warning, I'll try and help everyone who wants one, but if you wait until I'm out of stock on parts it may mean you have to wait until it makes sense to make more.

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was talking with Kyle last night when he dropped off more PCBs for me about what our "end game" strategy on this project is. I didn't make it limited, because I'm honestly sick of that model. The fake FOMO feels tiresome to me.
But at some point I'll manage to catch up to the pre-order list (trying!) and there will be a lull. And we'll try and buffer spare PCBs to have on hand for orders after that. But once they're used up it won't be as easy to just randomly make one out of the blue.
So just fair warning, I'll try and help everyone who wants one, but if you wait until I'm out of stock on parts it may mean you have to wait until it makes sense to make more.

I'll keep rolling my pennies so I can get in sooner rather than later, and I'll continue monitoring this thread to see if things start to look more bleak on parts availablity!

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I'll keep rolling my pennies so I can get in sooner rather than later, and I'll continue monitoring this thread to see if things start to look more bleak on parts availablity!

I will do my best to accommodate everyone, just being realistic about where this project may end up after this initial interest dies down. Lot of parts go into building each one and there's only so much we can just keep in stock. But there's always a solution.

In the meantime I just ordered enough acrylic to build out the rest of the list with a little extra, and I need to get an order in to Hong Kong for more LEDs, starting to run low.

I really had no idea how the response to this project would be, I know it's expensive, appreciate everyone who's supported it. And the responses have been really gratifying!

#177 1 year ago

Bump for an awesome topper and an even better person!

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from dug:

Bump for an awesome topper and an even better person!

Aww, miss you man, hope I can make the next gathering.

#179 1 year ago

Exceptional work. I’ve always found Tron to be an extremely visually pleasing pin, and your topper cranks it up a few more notches. Sort of glad I’m not a Tron owner, as I would certainly be a much poorer man.

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Exceptional work. I’ve always found Tron to be an extremely visually pleasing pin, and your topper cranks it up a few more notches. Sort of glad I’m not a Tron owner, as I would certainly be a much poorer man.

Thanks!

I've got more acrylic coming in today, so I can start cutting more. I think I should have enough to do the rest of the list, they had to put it into 4 separate UPS shipments to get it all here.

#181 1 year ago

Just FYI I have all the acrylic and LEDs to build out the rest of the pre-order list and I’m back to production. We’re about to order more PCBs because we’ll be out soon but we should have them in time to keep moving I think.

So if you’re next on the list I’m starting on you now, writing this while babysitting the laser.

B9BF6BEF-E577-47DD-A170-777A22011DEE (resized).jpegB9BF6BEF-E577-47DD-A170-777A22011DEE (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#182 1 year ago

Just as an update to my above post, it looks like there will probably be a couple week delay for the PCBs. I'm about about to ship 12 and 13, and then I'll build 14 and then I'm out of stock. So there will be a little gap when I can keep working on everything but won't be able to pack up boxes until they come in.

But once we have PCBs again I'll have a backlog of builds for them, so won't really hold up too much.

#183 1 year ago

Keep the sun off that Master of Puppets cabinet!

(I no longer own a Tron, just here to admire the design/build process and enjoy sexy topper photos)

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Keep the sun off that Master of Puppets cabinet!

Heh, it's not exposed that often, but it is something I've thought about. The perils of garage collections!

1 week later
#185 1 year ago

Greetings Aurich, I'm posting this issue here (rather than email) since other folks might have the issue.

My insanely modded Pro has the LE-style apron lights (apparently driven by the connector that you are intercepting). Before I start installing this, will my apron lights still work? I assume the new connector will "pass through" the signals?

IMG_2507 (resized).jpegIMG_2507 (resized).jpegIMG_2508 (resized).jpegIMG_2508 (resized).jpeg
#186 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My insanely modded Pro has the LE-style apron lights (apparently driven by the connector that you are intercepting). Before I start installing this, will my apron lights still work? I assume the new connector will "pass through" the signals?

The board with my topper is a pass through, yes, all signals should work exactly as they did before.

#187 1 year ago

By the way, as long as I'm around, we're just waiting for more board parts to arrive and then I'll be back to building. Will update when that happens, but in a temporary pause still.

#188 1 year ago

Will get back to production soon, PCBs are in. FYI I'm under the gun for some real deadlines for work so will have to fit building toppers in around my schedule, will do my best to keep things flowing again though.

20230303_200905 (resized).jpg20230303_200905 (resized).jpg
#189 1 year ago

Put the topper on Today. Looks amazing.

B6F161B3-DE89-44B4-8DA0-1613C94A2DC0 (resized).jpegB6F161B3-DE89-44B4-8DA0-1613C94A2DC0 (resized).jpeg
#190 1 year ago

I kinda miss my Party Monsters tbh, what a great game.

2 weeks later
#191 1 year ago

I apologize for the lack of updates, my day job has hit a "nights and weekends" phase and been short on free time and energy to assemble toppers. Will try and get back on track.

1 month later
#192 1 year ago

Are you still currently taking PO's for your topper or has everything closed.

2 weeks later
#193 11 months ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

Are you still currently taking PO's for your topper or has everything closed.

Hi, if you'd like to be added to the list I still can. Just behind on my process of making these at the moment.

I'm sorry to have gone dark, beyond my job turning crazy busy I had to put out several fires in a row (the kind where you're dealing with lawyers and HR and pitchforks) and then I got covid and that wiped me out, and well, it's just been a time lately.

I'm recovering enough to be back at my desk and trying to play catchup. Wanted to at least post to this thread and make sure people know I'm still alive.

#194 11 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hi, if you'd like to be added to the list I still can. Just behind on my process of making these at the moment.
I'm sorry to have gone dark, beyond my job turning crazy busy I had to put out several fires in a row (the kind where you're dealing with lawyers and HR and pitchforks) and then I got covid and that wiped me out, and well, it's just been a time lately.
I'm recovering enough to be back at my desk and trying to play catchup. Wanted to at least post to this thread and make sure people know I'm still alive.

No worries! Take your time to recover properly. It’s just pinball, it can wait.

#195 11 months ago

Thanks. I'm finally mostly free of covid, just a little more tired than usual, and a residual cough. Bleh, stupid virus.

I'm traveling this weekend, and when I get back I'll try and get everything back on track again.

#196 11 months ago

Id like to be added to the list please

#197 11 months ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Id like to be added to the list please

Done. I'm obviously behind, so I don't have a time estimate for things right now, will just build them as I can.

Obviously I don't take any money until yours is finished, so it's only about patience at this point.

#198 11 months ago

please add me to the list, hate I am not discovering it now

#199 11 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Done. I'm obviously behind, so I don't have a time estimate for things right now, will just build them as I can.
Obviously I don't take any money until yours is finished, so it's only about patience at this point.

All good. Thanks very much!

1 week later
#200 10 months ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

please add me to the list, hate I am not discovering it now

Will do. Every time I think I'm going to get free some other crisis comes up, I've just come off a hellish week of work that was first thing in the morning until midnight for way too many days.

I think I'm done with that part, but I'm honestly just mentally fried. Need to find some energy for fun projects, but I just want to be a lump and maybe play a little Street Fighter 6 at the moment so my brain can feel less like mush.

Coming into all this after covid was just too much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-interactive-topper-pre-orders-aurich-mod/page/4?hl=marklard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.