E7219FE9-484F-47CA-BFFE-0651512AF204 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
42B71745-F083-4796-A042-CBB9A06CFA64 (resized).jpeg
DFC91AE8-712E-49D3-85C9-A0EC21FA23AD (resized).jpeg
A8E750D6-0CAB-4127-8F16-6C5BD4B5C2D7 (resized).jpeg
9F9F9F80-D9A3-4674-994C-F41BE4D841DA (resized).jpeg
FFD4B468-4938-4BB5-8CE4-9AAFAFBBD39B (resized).jpeg
20230128_165821 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 1 year ago

So are these just layers of edge-lit clear acrylic that’s engraved by laser? If so, how thick is the acrylic of each layer?

I don’t know if you’re familiar, but I’ve built a few four-tube Lixie clocks that use that technique and it’s hella cool. I’ve also considered some projects that did some pseudo-animation using layers lit up in sequences, including some side-by-side layers that were meshed together but painted on the edges so that they could be independently controlled and in the same plane. Looks like maybe you’re doing that?

Curious also what laser you have…I have a Glowforge, which has been great, just a tad limiting in terms of size. Anyway, I’m pretty tempted. I’m more tempted by reading the possibly of Metallica, too, though. I’ve got LE’s of both, and they’re likely my only “keeper” Sterns.

#35 1 year ago

Yeah, my animation idea would be kept to maybe 4 layers and just loop it. It’s also just 1/8” thick acrylic which isn’t *that* bad. I’ve never looked, but for stuff like this some 1/16” thick would be better, just a little tougher to edge light and isolate properly.

My idea for having isolated sections on the same plane would be to just use something like black paint on the edges so the light can’t bleed through. On something like a pinball topper you might be far enough away that if done well you couldn’t see that black edge, but another idea would be to just use a vinyl cutter to do some vinyl artwork that covered the joints, too. Complicates things and I’m not sure it works in all situations, just something I’ve been contemplating experimenting with.

And I hear you on the Glowforge. I’ve had mine since the early days, though, and there just weren’t many options anywhere near that price point *then*. Many more options now, though. I was worried about the cloud software but I held my nose and did it and it’s been fine. Obviously it could brick my hardware if they go out of business, but at this point I’ve gotten my monies worth anyway so it wouldn’t kill me, just make me a little sad.

Anyway, I dig it. Would love to see some in-process pics when you get a chance.

#37 1 year ago

Yeah, my Lixie clocks use a PCB with staggered LEDs to support the deep but tight stack. I hadn’t really thought about how you accomplish that when you aren’t stacking, but I can see how it would be annoying for the single layer.

I did some 3/8” thick acrylic (had someone else cut it for me) for a giant edge lit sign I did. But we had a cavity in the lighting space and didn’t even bother facing the LEDs to the edges and it worked fine. But that was a much bigger thing with airspace back there and internal surfaces it could bounce off of.

Anyway, love discussion and seeing this stuff happen.

One of my ideas was to do an edge lit set of layers that presented an R2-D2 in the proper colors (maybe 3-4 layers?). Then behind it a small LCD off ot the side of R2 that showed the Leila “you’re my only hope” video intermittently. Doing the layers right would give R2 a tad bit of 3D depth, maybe. At least if you kept it small and were viewing it up close. Not sure what it would be good for other than a piece of desk art, though.

#49 1 year ago

Sounds like maybe it’s too late if you’re this far down the rabbit hole for the PCB, but maybe a jumper or a solder pad that could be cut/wired to select between LE/Pro, if you find you do need different code for each? Then you’d still have unified code and the ability to change it externally? Just throwing ideas out.

2 months later
#159 1 year ago

Alright, dammit, add me to the list please.

1 week later
#165 1 year ago

If I open mine and there’s a banana slug in it I will hunt you down and….well, you don’t wanna know. Lol.

Love the banana slug as a mascot, though. Still love the banana slug Easter egg in Pulp Fiction.

3 months later
#194 11 months ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hi, if you'd like to be added to the list I still can. Just behind on my process of making these at the moment.
I'm sorry to have gone dark, beyond my job turning crazy busy I had to put out several fires in a row (the kind where you're dealing with lawyers and HR and pitchforks) and then I got covid and that wiped me out, and well, it's just been a time lately.
I'm recovering enough to be back at my desk and trying to play catchup. Wanted to at least post to this thread and make sure people know I'm still alive.

No worries! Take your time to recover properly. It’s just pinball, it can wait.

4 months later
#221 6 months ago

Bruh, I’m still in and waiting patiently!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-interactive-topper-pre-orders-aurich-mod?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.